Clarence House

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Elizabeth in the Drawing Room of Clarence House, 1950. Cecil Beaton.

I love this portrait! Cecil Beaton at his best!

Attachments

• PrincessElizabethatdrawingroom1950.jpg
    PrincessElizabethatdrawingroom1950.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 6,945
Clarence house Is beautiful, and is more known as the office if the prince of wales and was home of prince William, that is until he got married and was the residence of Elizabeth,the queen mother until her death in 2002(RIP). I am absolutely in love with the drawing room at Clarence house and I've seen pictures and it's so beautiful with the light blue everywhere, including the portrait of Elizabeth II at age 7.

I'd always associate Clarence House with the late Queen Mother and her birthday celebrations outside that house,Prince Charles must really have some wonderful memories there!

I'm guessing that it could be electrical wires or something like that.

Clarence House was used by Queen Victoria's son, Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught from 1900 to 1942.

:heartflower::heartflower: The painting A Lady in a Pink Ballgown hung over the fireplace in the Morning Room.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://cdn.londonandpartners.com/asset/8ec9e73f6f201efce84e7955ee8ac8b7.jpg

http://46-236-36-161.servers.dedipower.net/images/visit_images/CH/ch main visit.jpg

Does anyone know why ropes are/were dangling from two rooms on the 3rd floor?

It looks like they are from the bedrooms/sitting rooms of Charles & Camilla. Is it incase of a fire they can climb down? The ropes are attached.

Thanks
Perhaps they are used for repairs or window washing. It is not uncommon for such work to be done using abseiling techniques as it is a lot faster than using scaffolding.

post about [FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial][FONT=verdana, arial]interiors of [/FONT][/FONT]Clarence House[/FONT][/FONT]
COTE DE TEXAS: THE ROYAL PALACES: PART TWO

I add my thanks and congratulations on a wonderful tour of Clarence House. I look forward to seeing your work again, although I can imagine you must be exhausted after this tour de force:flowers: Bravo!

Regarding the "ropes" - I think there is a possibility they may be hoses because in one of the pictures one of the "ropes" is yellow.

Thankyou, Spheno, for the link to the marvellous photos of Clarence House!

I like that Charles took the painting that Diana had hanging up in her home and placed it in the dinning room.

It was stated this week that the Cambridges will be living at Kensington palace for a very long time to come. Does this mean it is unlikely the will occupy Clarence House when he becomes Duke of Cornwall?

It was stated this week that the Cambridges will be living at Kensington palace for a very long time to come. Does this mean it is unlikely the will occupy Clarence House when he becomes Duke of Cornwall?

That seems to be the plan. Charles and Camilla moved into Clarence House after the death of the Queen Mum is 2002. I don't believe there is a set residence in London for the Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales. William and Kate staying at 1A at Kensington Palace sounds very feasible as there really isn't any need for them to move elsewhere when he becomes The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge as heir to the throne.

That seems to be the plan. Charles and Camilla moved into Clarence House after the death of the Queen Mum is 2002. I don't believe there is a set residence in London for the Duke of Cornwall/Prince of Wales. William and Kate staying at 1A at Kensington Palace sounds very feasible as there really isn't any need for them to move elsewhere when he becomes The Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge as heir to the throne.

But what is likely to happen with Clarence House after Charles moves across the road? It could be empty for a very long time.

But what is likely to happen with Clarence House after Charles moves across the road? It could be empty for a very long time.

That's up in the air. It could be used for formal dinners and meetings, it could become a residence for Harry and his family or it could become a national historic building. We just won't know until the time arises. Just my thinking but could be something else even.

Just had a thought. Wouldn't it be cool if when Harry marries, he becomes Duke of Clarence and eventually moves into Clarence House? :D

Who says Charles will have to move? He and Camilla might choose to stay on living in Clarence House and use Buckingham Palace for work functions and administration. It's both what Prince Philip wished to do when his wife became Queen and also something that's already been done by several of the other monarchies of Europe where the old royal palaces in the capitals aren't used as the home of the royal family anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

:previous: Actually that option sounds the most plausible to me. There really isn't any rule written in stone that says the monarch has to reside at Buckingham Palace.

The Queen and Philip wanted to stay in CH when she became Queen but the government of the day said 'no, you have to move into BP'.

There have already been reports that Charles would prefer to stay where he is and have BP only used for official events.

I can see that being the option actually - that during Charles' reign no one actually lives in BP (although Andrew and Edward do both have apartments there so I would expect them to remain in those apartments in Charles' reign) but it would still be the focus of events like Trooping the Colour.

When William becomes King he would then move into BP, George into CH (either when his father accedes or even earlier if he marries earlier) and then a second sibling having 1A.

The Queen and Philip wanted to stay in CH when she became Queen but the government of the day said 'no, you have to move into BP'.

There have already been reports that Charles would prefer to stay where he is and have BP only used for official events.

I can see that being the option actually - that during Charles' reign no one actually lives in BP (although Andrew and Edward do both have apartments there so I would expect them to remain in those apartments in Charles' reign) but it would still be the focus of events like Trooping the Colour.

When William becomes King he would then move into BP, George into CH (either when his father accedes or even earlier if he marries earlier) and then a second sibling having 1A.

With the amount of work that needs to be done, I think that this will happen through necessity. Thought that for a while.

They need to make a separate entity (like an "apartment" at KP) for the RF to live in-a separate private home from public rooms. This would make it easier to keep it open when Monarch is in residence. I've gathered from various reports that it is possible for the Queen to bump into tourists if the building was open when she is there.

The public tour of BP is basically the back section of the palace where the state rooms are. Your aren't really near the private area of the palace. However, if BP was having a investiture or reception you would be in the way. Plus more people touring the palace would cause more wear and tare on the carpets, etc. They put up protective plastic over the wallpaper on the lower areas of walls for the public opening. It probably isn't there year round.

It isn't - even the carpet that it down for the tours isn't the regular carpet as that gets taken up to prevent wear and tear on the 'real' carpets that are down for the state events etc.

It isn't - even the carpet that it down for the tours isn't the regular carpet as that gets taken up to prevent wear and tear on the 'real' carpets that are down for the state events etc.

Isn't there a lot of repairs that are needed for BP? Perhaps that would be one reason for Charles to stay at Clarence House and allow for renovations without worrying about the King being in residence. The work could shut down for the times that tours or garden parties or investitures and state banquets are scheduled.

I think this all makes good sense. :flowers:

I wonder why CH was preferred even back then. The privacy? Or is CH particularly nice as houses/palaces go?

With the amount of work that needs to be done, I think that this will happen through necessity. Thought that for a while.

They need to make a separate entity (like an "apartment" at KP) for the RF to live in-a separate private home from public rooms. This would make it easier to keep it open when Monarch is in residence. I've gathered from various reports that it is possible for the Queen to bump into tourists if the building was open when she is there.

I have thought the same - can you imagine the kind of up-grading BP needs. If KP had an asbestos problem........it doesn't bear thinking about......and 1A was re-done just over 50 years ago - when was BP re-done?

I also think your idea about a separate apartment for the Monarch away from BP makes a whole lot of sense. Hopefully it will go the way Iluvbertie says - because Charles just put his heart and soul into that renovation - why leave a nice place that you've done up the way you like for a not-so-nice place that needs a lot of work? I don't think he'd like that and rightly so. What Iluvbertie is saying sounds very comfortable for everyone. :flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom