Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhh.... maybe the BRF is plotting to put Camilla out to pasture. Is this what you're worried about?
wink.gif.pagespeed.ce.ghlfFXOmmD.gif

The Duke of Cambridge is getting "more" than Camilla

Please, don't turn on The Duchess of Cornwall because someone who uses her picture and name decided to attack The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for no reason other than assumed "facts", biased opinions and dislike.

There's no competition between the members of The Royal Family. Posters should stick to the facts, before the The Royal Forums becomes a slightly more sophisticated version of Royal Dish.

Please, don't turn on The Duchess of Cornwall because someone who uses her picture and name decided to attack The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for no reason other than assumed "facts", biased opinions and dislike.

There's no competition between the members of The Royal Family. Posters should stick to the facts, before the The Royal Forums becomes a slightly more sophisticated version of Royal Dish.

LOL! I think Rudolph was just jocking.:lol:

Apartment 1A was used for storage by a charity. I don't believe it was occupied, and public events were not held there.

Several site have stated exhibitions were held in Apt 1A. There is a photo showing a pale blue dress with gold & cream bodice and cream sleeves inside a display case in the entrance hall of Princess Margaret'sapartment. (The photo was downloaded to my computer about a year ago.)

Houses of State: Kensington Palace - Part 4 of 4 - Apartment 1A at Kensington Palace - Home of the Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
After Princess Margaret's death this room was used by Historic Royal Palaces to host exhibitions and also offered for private hire for dining and entertaining (as featured in the photos).

Royal Wedding Dress | Five Royal Wedding Dresses
Staff working to conserve the dresses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...home-Tour-Kensington-Palace-12m-makeover.html
The garden room of Apt 1A used to exhibit Diana's dresses.

Last edited:
Apt 1A isn't part of Historic Royal Palaces. Its part of the private living area. The only reason it was ever used as display and storage space is because it was unoccupied for years after Princess Margaret's death.

Now it is being used once again as an official residence for a member of the Royal Family and HRP is using its own space for displays and storage.

The State Rooms are open to the public and managed by Historic Royal Palaces, a nonprofit organization that does not receive public funds.

The offices and private accommodation areas of the Palace remain the responsibility of the Royal Household and are maintained by the Royal Household Property Section.

The most important fact to note here also is that the cost of repairs to Apartment 1A is met by existing funding in the Royal Household, that is to say it comes at no extra cost to the taxpayer as it is covered by the Sovereign Grant (the fixed amount The Queen receives every year to cover her expenses) which was £35.7 million for the year 2013-2014.

Even with the repairs to Apartment 1A the Royal Household were under budget this year by £400,000 from the allocated amount – this surplus will be put into the reserve fund for use in future if needed.

This is pretty good budgeting on the part of the Royal Household if you ask me.

The press is to blame for that ^ they paint quite a picture with their headlines screaming things like "extra million for Georges nursery !!" And it grabs attention and gives the wrong impression .

A good example would be articles such as these : http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/08...yside-prince-george-william-hiding-pregnancy/
Kate Middleton Moves Out Of Kensington Palace With Prince George

Why would anyone spend $5 million on renovations to their home only to move out a few months later?

It’s the question everyone seems to be asking themselves after the news broke that the Duke and Duchess, as well as their little prince, have packed their bags for Anmer Hall in the countryside.

Last edited:
:previous: William and Kate will use both KP and Anmer Hall. It isn't one or the other.

From the Daily Mail:

But William’s new job suggests that the couple, along with their baby son Prince George, will be spending an increasing amount of the time at Anmer Hall, the 10-bedroom Georgian mansion given to them by the Queen on her Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.

A spokesman for the prince insisted to Mail Online today: ‘Nothing has changed.’
They continued: ‘Kensington Palace will continue to be their primary and long term residence. The Duke expects to do a fair bit of commuting.’
Just like every other royal. W&K will stay at Apartment 1A while in London and use Anmer Hall while in Norfolk.

Since williams contract is for 2 yrs , will kate be moving to Anmer with him or visiting him while she stays at KP ? Because she seems more comfortable living in the city and he prefers the country , so maybe he will visit her and George every weekend .

Comparisons based on old architectural drawings. Measurements for Apt 1A are based on an old Kensington Palace floor plan scale.

The measurement:

Kensington State Apts:
The width of Queen's Victoria's Bedroom combined with the King's Gallery equals approximately 115 feet.
The length of Queen's Victoria's Bedroom combined with the Ante Room equals 40 feet.
115 feet wide X 40 feet deep

Apt 1A: Total 31592 square feet
130 feet wide X 40 feet deep
Total 5200 square feet per floor X 4 floors.
Total 20800 square feet.

The original drawing shows Apt 1A as T shaped.
The top of the 'T' area is 19 feet wide X 142 feet long.
Total 2698 square feet per floor X 4 floors
Total square feet 10792

Total square feet for Apt 1A equals 31592 square feet.

Clarence House: Total 16704 square feet.
48 feet wide X 64 feet deep. (excluding the garden room)
The garden room is 26 feet wide X 20'6
Clarence might also include 2 small room across the horse corridor. If Clarence has been modified to include these rooms, it will measure:
74 feet wide X 64 feet deep excluding the large 'L' shaped open area.
Total per floor 4176. This includes the garden room & the 2 rooms & any hallways.
Total 16704 square feet.

Another way to compare is to count the number of windows.
Kensington Palace Apt 1A has 14 windows in the front.
Clarence House has 7 in the front and 9 on the side.
The top of the 'T' section of Apt 1A might be the staff offices.
Clarence House totals includes the staff offices.

Apt 1A is not an apartment. It is a townhome. It is one entire section of Kensington Palace.

If you disagree with my figures you are more than welcome to review floor plans and do you own measurements.. I not only gave the figures but how I arrived at the square footage. I also stated you can count the number of windows on Clarence House vs the number of windows on the section of Kensington Palace that is designated as Apt 1A.

Actually, I did, and discovered there is no 'T shape' (see above highlighted in red) associated with Apartment 1A which is a rectangle as you can clearly see in the linked diagram - purple is 1A
Houses of State: Kensington Palace - Photos and Floor Plans - Part 2 of 4
I'm not sure whether you included the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (Apartment 1) as part of 1A or not - but your numbers appear to be inaccurate.
In regards to children being treated differently, in the US we tend to equally distribute whatever wealth a family accumulates amongst the offspring. Such is not and has not been the case in the UK for centuries. Among the aristocracy the eldest son inherited the lions share of the family's wealth. He and his family lived on the estate until they inherited and then they moved into the 'big' house. Younger sons and all daughters where financially supported, if possible, however they always received far less than the heir. Likewise the heir gets a subsidiary title during his father's life and then the main title when his father dies, daughters and younger sons do not. Under that system treating William differently than his cousins is understandable and, indeed, expected.

Last edited:
Since williams contract is for 2 yrs , will kate be moving to Anmer with him or visiting him while she stays at KP ? Because she seems more comfortable living in the city and he prefers the country , so maybe he will visit her and George every weekend .

Kate and George will be moving to Amner with William.

I've not seen any indication that Kate is more comfortable in the city, while William prefers the country.

Last edited:
Kate and George will be moving to Amner with William.

I've not seen any indication that Kate is more comfortable in the city, while William prefers the country.

No kidding..let's not start that whole thing with these two like they did D&C.

LaRae

Actually, there is every indication that Kate, does in fact, enjoy the country. Her family lived/s in a very small place and she appears to enjoy country past times.

In an article on www.express.co.uk > News > Royal
One disgruntled resident declared, 'The building dates back to the early 1800s but it looks more like a Barratt home now.' because the new roof tiles of Anmer Hall are vivid brick-red.

In an article on www.express.co.uk > News > Royal
One disgruntled resident declared, 'The building dates back to the early 1800s but it looks more like a Barratt home now.' because the new roof tiles of Anmer Hall are vivid brick-red.

The color will weather and fade. It's just because the tiles are new.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

The color will weather and fade. It's just because the tiles are new.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Exactly!!
People should be content that maintenance is being done at Anmer Hall.

Actually, I did, and discovered there is no 'T shape' (see above highlighted in red) associated with Apartment 1A which is a rectangle as you can clearly see in the linked diagram - purple is 1A
Houses of State: Kensington Palace - Photos and Floor Plans - Part 2 of 4
I'm not sure whether you included the home of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (Apartment 1) as part of 1A or not - but your numbers appear to be inaccurate.

My numbers are correct. In the floor plan you attached, the purple area is Apt 1A. This equals to 20800 square feet.

The original floor plans show Apt 1A as T shaped. KP was built in sections and the floor plans I have predates the building of the second square and the section above the T.

Apt 1A was originally the purple section and strip across the top that ended before the large square where the 'W' is located. (This is the clock tower.) Everything below the 'W' and to the right of it did not exist. The large maize colored square to the left of the 'W' did not exist.

On the original floor plans the clock tower did not exist.

Adding the purple section with the section across it give you 31592 square feet.

Last edited:
Last edited:
^^^So? She is the queen, he's simply the heir to the heir. Apples and pomegranets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't consider William to be a senior royal. He is in the line of succession, but that doesn't make him a senior. He's got to do a lot more for the Crown before I will consider him a senior.

I don't consider William to be a senior royal. He is in the line of succession, but that doesn't make him a senior. He's got to do a lot more for the Crown before I will consider him a senior.

This is what I think also. William is in the senior hereditary line of succession to the throne but he (like Kate and Harry) is still, for the most part, a wet behind the ears intern when it comes to working for the Firm.

I also would find it hard to find William or Kate as senior royals. They lack experience and have little or no work ethic as well as barely and interest in the work of the Firm, or so it appears.

Yet despite this they have been handed the keys to two mansions which is out of proportion to their royal workload.

Last edited:
My numbers are correct. In the floor plan you attached, the purple area is Apt 1A. This equals to 20800 square feet.

The original floor plans show Apt 1A as T shaped. KP was built in sections and the floor plans I have predates the building of the second square and the section above the T.

Apt 1A was originally the purple section and strip across the top that ended before the large square where the 'W' is located. (This is the clock tower.) Everything below the 'W' and to the right of it did not exist. The large maize colored square to the left of the 'W' did not exist.

On the original floor plans the clock tower did not exist.

Adding the purple section with the section across it give you 31592 square feet.
The clock tower which was added by Wren sometime before 1689 for William & Mary still exists see:Learn About The Origins Of Kensington Palace As A Jacobean Mansion
Can you link to the floor plans you are going from? Do they predate 1689 when the clock tower was added?

Yet despite this they have been handed the keys to two mansions which is out of proportion to their royal workload.

It is not uncommon for people in the UK to have a home in London and a place in the country. One is an official home, one is a private one. What is the problem with that (other than your repeatedly making the same point time and again)? :flowers:

Not only not uncommon, but in the upper crust it is more or less the norm to have a country pile and a place in Town (aka London).

And they are per definition 'senior royals' as this has nothing to do with age or workload but with beeing in the direct line to the throne.

In England the Heir and the heir to the heir had and still has allways a special place and treatment; he get's the title and the bulk of the inheritance. The others get allowances and as much / little money, as is possible (often out of the marriage portion of their mother). If you read english literature of the 18th and 19th century you might get an understandig of that matter.

The clock tower which was added by Wren sometime before 1689 for William & Mary still exists see:Learn About The Origins Of Kensington Palace As A Jacobean Mansion
Can you link to the floor plans you are going from? Do they predate 1689 when the clock tower was added?

Yes. It shows the 1605 building and floor plan and the building of KP in stages.

Although the website states Apartment 1A is 'L' shape it is clearly 'T' shaped.

You can see the 14 windows, the long hallway and the entrance from what could become the courtyard and how the rooms in the 'T' connect. The clock tower is being penciled in.

What is listed in current floor plans as part of the Gloucesters' home is shown here as originally part of Apt 1A.

COTE DE TEXAS: ROYAL PALACES PART THREE

Last edited:
I also would find it hard to find William or Kate as senior royals. They lack experience and have little or no work ethic as well as barely and interest in the work of the Firm, or so it appears.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It does seem a bit excessive to me too.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. It does seem a bit excessive to me too.

I'd like someone to provide us with a source that explicitly states how keys to a mansion has anything to do with the hours put in for the Firm. We do realize don't we that this is a family right? This is family working for family and there's actually no paycheck involved for the hours put in right? We do know that the Queen through the Sovereign Grant only pays for the expenses the family puts into being representatives of the Crown right? (clothing, security and lodging if needed).

How many of you out there have to work so many hours for your family to um.. give you a meal, loan you a car, back you up when you're in trouble?

How this family works is their own business and its the Queen's prerogative to give what she has to whom she chooses. For all we know, the plans are being put into action for years ahead into the future.

I'd like someone to provide us with a source that explicitly states how keys to a mansion has anything to do with the hours put in for the Firm. We do realize don't we that this is a family right? This is family working for family and there's actually no paycheck involved for the hours put in right? We do know that the Queen through the Sovereign Grant only pays for the expenses the family puts into being representatives of the Crown right? (clothing, security and lodging if needed).

How many of you out there have to work so many hours for your family to um.. give you a meal, loan you a car, back you up when you're in trouble?

How this family works is their own business and its the Queen's prerogative to give what she has to whom she chooses. For all we know, the plans are being put into action for years ahead into the future.

As far as Anmer Hall goes I agree with you - that is the Queen's private property and on the Queen's private estate. She can do what she likes with it.

As far as Kensington Palace is concerned, I don't agree. That is owned by the tax payer and, as landlord, the tax payer (of whom I am not one) is entitled to question how its property is being used and what it is getting in return.

I appreciate that William and Kate will, in the future, perform public duties for the rest of their lives but at the moment they have a more low key existence and so I don't see a problem with the debate.

Back
Top Bottom