Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about Prince Charles?

MM

Charles & Camilla have their London home at Clarence House, about 100m from BP. Their other homes include:

- Highgrove in Tetbury, very much their "principal" home, used most weekends and sometimes during the week as well
- Birkhall in Scotland, on the Balmoral Estate
- The property in Wales that is used by C&C, and is also let out by the Duchy as a holiday let.

Thanks, I wondered about Highgrove ...I've heard they both very much prefer it. Does he or do they spend much time in Wales?

MM

To Zonk

That is an adorable photo of Danish Princess Isabella you have chosen;
Thanks for sharing it.:)

Thanks! Princess Isabella is becoming a new favorite of mine. She's got a spunky personality!

Thanks, I wondered about Highgrove ...I've heard they both very much prefer it. Does he or do they spend much time in Wales?

MM

You can find more information on Highgrove in this thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f230/highgrove-17566-2.html .

Does he or do they spend much time in Wales?

MM

Not really. In the normal course, they visit Wales every summer. My sense is that it was thought appropriate that the Prince of Wales have a home in Wales, and hence the purchase. Given how little it is actually used by C&C, vast parts of the property are available for rent through the Duchy's commercial operations.

But they still have an - admittedly merely nominal - link to the Duchy of Cornwall.
Eventually William would get involved in the work...

Kataryn said:
The article in the Mail about W&C not being contend with Nottingham Cottage is IMHO the first try to get them to be more open for the media - it's an invented story which makes them look bad on using some facts (use of the sports field, flats of serrvants) on putting them together in order to create a negative image of William and Catherine. They don't even cite a "source", just state that the couple is not happy.... so what, that's how it is when you live in the city and surely they both are aware of that.

But the DM adores Will & Kate and always publishes flattering articles about them. Not saying it's a true article, but most tabloid stories are very vague anyway. It's a believable objection.

Well. just like what I heard they will live in wales.. but when we back to the real real future absolutely they will live in buckingham palace when william become king of england ....but right now I heard they are living in apartment in kensington palace that what his mother lived in there after divorce

Well. just like what I heard they will live in wales.. but when we back to the real real future absolutely they will live in buckingham palace when william become king of england ....but right now I heard they are living in apartment in kensington palace that what his mother lived in there after divorce

Currently they live in Anglesey, with Notts Cottage as their london residence. William probably won't be in BP for at least another 30 years.

Currently they live in Anglesey, with Notts Cottage as their london residence. William probably won't be in BP for at least another 30 years.

Maybe so, but he'll have to spend more and more of his time in London in future anyway, won't he?

Unless Kate gets pregnant this year, which would accelerate the need for more space, I would expect the status quo til 2013 - after the Olympics, Jubilee year and Wm's RAF commitment. The BRF are nothing if not planners, Im sure they have a plan. Probably KP #1A, or some other suitable property that they know is going to be available.

:hornets:Who says she will for sure get pregnant this year? If I were them, given the circumstances of their lives... I would wait till after the three years. Enjoy the time out in Angelsy.

Then, when thrown into the shallow end to begin the true Royal life... thats when you get pregnant. So that you have something important enough to get more days off to be with your family... ;p

Don't mind me. I'm tired. :sleeping:

Mirabel said:
Maybe so, but he'll have to spend more and more of his time in London in future anyway, won't he?

That's what KP is for. No need to stay at BP.

New London pad for the former Miss Kate Middleton and Royal hubby William - News - London 24

New London pad
5 November 2011
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are to make the former home of Princess Margaret their permanent London residence, St James's Palace said today. William and Kate have chosen an apartment in Kensington Palace as the place that will become their base in the capital as they establish themselves as a married couple.

“The extent of the work needed to turn the apartment back into a home is not yet known, but it is expected that the apartment will not be ready for occupation until at least the middle of 2013,” a spokesman for St James’s Palace said.

The plans, approved by the Queen and the Prince of Wales, signal the growing independence of William and his wife as their household will also follow them from their offices at St James’s Palace to the historic building which has been a royal residence since 1689.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was interesting that they brought up Prince Harry in the article and how he will move to KP as well one day in the Nottingham cottage. Maybe when he gets married or even before then he will be the one to move into his mother's old apartments there. After all if the Queen can get back 1A then surely Charles can give up his office space.

:previous:The part about Harry moving into Nottingham Cottage made me raise an eyebrow. There didn't seem to be a reason for him to move out of Clarence House just yet... unless it's just that it's much easier to entertain single ladies when your dad and stepmother aren't sharing the same roof! :whistling:

New London pad for the former Miss Kate Middleton and Royal hubby William - News - London 24

I think that they were a little short-sighted when they turned KP into offices and storerooms. I think the dynamics of the BRF and the economy dictated prudence when Princess Margaret's apartment became vacant, but time has passed and now they have a real, practical reason to re-open it.

I don't think anyone thought about the notion of three adult generations in need of discrete and safe housing in this day and age. Although, to be honest, as HM the Queen Mother grew steadily older surely they could see that the writing was on the wall. Prince Charles largely solved the problem by making Highgrove his primary residence but as his sons grew older and the Queen Mother stayed healthy and the Queen remained a healthy, active and working member of the BRF, I suspect that some very long term planning was undertaken.

I think few will complain about the cost of the refurbishment of the Apartment which, since it hasn't had any major work since the 1960's, will need a lot of time and money just to bring it up to safety codes let alone restore it's historic splendour. That being said, it would not surprise me to hear that the same financial dynamic used to refurbish Clarence House was used again for Apartment 1, Kensington Palace.

:previous:The part about Harry moving into Nottingham Cottage made me raise an eyebrow. There didn't seem to be a reason for him to move out of Clarence House just yet... unless it's just that it's much easier to entertain single ladies when your dad and stepmother aren't sharing the same roof! :whistling:

He's an adult with a career who doesn't seem to have any plans to be married anytime in the near future. Why should he still be sharing a home with his father and stepmother when he's 27 years old? It makes complete sense.

Also, Nott Cott is only two bedrooms- it should work quite well for him as a bachelor pad apartment.

He's an adult with a career who doesn't seem to have any plans to be married anytime in the near future. Why should he still be sharing a home with his father and stepmother when he's 27 years old? It makes complete sense.

Also, Nott Cott is only two bedrooms- it should work quite well for him as a bachelor pad apartment.

And it will enable him to be near the offices of the staff he and the Cambridges share. It makes perfect sense for Harry to move into Nott Cott while the Cambridges take up residence in Margaret's old apartment.

I hope that it doesn't, but I'm afraid that the cost of the renovations will go down very poorly with public opinion. Unless they personally make a substantial contribution to the cost of the work, I fear that this could become a real PR disaster for the Royal Family.

I hope that it doesn't, but I'm afraid that the cost of the renovations will go down very poorly with public opinion. Unless they personally make a substantial contribution to the cost of the work, I fear that this could become a real PR disaster for the Royal Family.

I agree, but if they do make a substantial contribution I don't think the public would make a big fuss.

:previous: The BRF are well aware of the "look" and the cost and have probably been working on it for a while.
The structural work will be ­funded by Grant-in-Aid budgets provided to the royal household for royal ­residences. But the cost of interior ­decorating and furnishing will be paid privately by the Royal Family.

Read more: Prince William and Kate Middleton to move into permanent home at Kensington Palace - mirror.co.uk
I believe most thinking people will be cognisant of the waste of letting Kensington Palace, or parts thereof, fall into total disrepair or be used for storage. It is part of the history of the country and as the article in the Mail remarks, the current office tenant are aware of the benefits of having the royal couple move there.
Historic Royal Palaces also realise that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge residing in Kensington Palace will make it a more attractive tourist destination. Ultimately it was the Queen's decision and she approved it. Apartment 1A was opened to the public in 2004, for the first time in the palace's 300-year history.

An exhibition has been planned for the apartment next year, which will still go ahead – but once it is over, in September, the home will be handed over to the Royal couple. The offices of Historic Royal Palaces will be relocated to new accommodation at Kensington Palace.

Read more: Kate Middleton and Prince William to move in to Kensington Palace | Mail Online
It is possible that the Queen may allow the renovated and redecorated apartment to be open to the public to see where the money went before William and Kate furnish it and move in, as was the case, I think, in both Denmark and Sweden.

Last edited:
I had a thought when I read about the asbestos removal needed in this apartment: wouldn't Princess Margaret have been exposed to this at the time she was living there? Just wondering.

I had a thought when I read about the asbestos removal needed in this apartment: wouldn't Princess Margaret have been exposed to this at the time she was living there? Just wondering.

Most likely, but in the past, I suppose people weren't cognizant of the health risks.

Besides, she was a chain smoker, so I guess she was high-risk anyway.

Last edited:
:previous: Why on earth would William want to move into a new home with a statue of his mother outside. Much as Princess Margaret may have viewed the idea with distaste, I think it even worse outside William's home conjuring, as it does, images of memorials and homage to an idol.

However, let's get some perspective here. He is being challenged by the Mail, (the Mail, I ask you?) to fulfil a dream (his?) to replace the statue of his namesake, William III, with a statue of his mother, 14 years after the fact.

The dreams of a 15 year old boy and those of a 29 year old man may differ significantly. However, even if he was so disposed, I believe he would need the Queen's permission and somehow I don't think it would be forthcoming.

Last edited:

What one doesn't know doesn't hurt one. :whistling:

:previous: Why on earth would William want to move into a new home with a statue of his mother outside. Much as Princess Margaret may have viewed the idea with distaste, I think it even worse outside William's home conjuring, as it does, images of memorials and homage to an idol.

However, let's get some perspective here. He is being challenged by the Mail, (the Mail, I ask you?) to fulfil a dream (his?) to replace the statue of his namesake, William III, with a statue of his mother, 14 years after the fact.

The dreams of a 15 year old boy and a 29 year old man may differ significantly. However, even if he was so disposed, I believe he would need the Queen's permission and somehow I don't think it would be forthcoming.

Thank you for talking sense, only The Mail would bring up this pearl of an idea :whistling:

Margaret was right, and I'm sure that Kate would also not ‘want her staring at me every time I look out of the window.’ Poor girl, she already has to live with the ghost of her late mother-in-law in print she certainly doesn't need it in her garden! :bang:

It was interesting that they brought up Prince Harry in the article and how he will move to KP as well one day in the Nottingham cottage. Maybe when he gets married or even before then he will be the one to move into his mother's old apartments there. After all if the Queen can get back 1A then surely Charles can give up his office space.

I would think Harry will simply follow William, and move into Margaret's place once William removes to Clarence House.

I would think Harry will simply follow William, and move into Margaret's place once William removes to Clarence House.

I suspect that quite a lof of thought has been given to future domestic arrangements for the Wales boys, and I think that Margaret's apartment can be the future home for Harry and his wife once Charles is King and W&K move to CH. Of course, should Harry marry and start to gave children within the current reign, his family would need to be accomodated elsewhere, possibly St James', or at another apartment at KP as Nott Cott is unlikely to be large enough.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom