Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
Hello all Brits!

How far apart are Wills & Kate's Welsh cottage and London KP flat please?

Is the London base for official visits & a bit of private time nearer to 'home' while the cottage in Wales will be while Wills is on duty working for the RAF as a helicopter pilot ??

just wondering!
xoxos

I would love to see the apartment inside! wishing the a happy time there!

There is that infamous roof garden above apartments 8&9. IIRC the entrance is close to William and Harry's former nursery. As the apartments are not used as residence at the moment but as office space, I guess nobody is using this garden at the moment (you can see it on the roof above ap. 8&9 on google maps - the apartments are in the north wing, left (west) side) of the building.

So I hope that William and Catherine can use it and enjoy their own little garden in the city.

I found a website that gives a birds eye view of Kensington Palace. It does take a bit of doing to manoeuvre it into the right spot but I think I found K.P.
But... I can't see which building is the detached Nottingham Cottage. It's an excellent quality photograph, see how you get on.
This is the link.. remember you need to navigate it much like google maps
Bing Maps - driving directions, routes, and traffic

Hello all Brits!

How far apart are Wills & Kate's Welsh cottage and London KP flat please?

Is the London base for official visits & a bit of private time nearer to 'home' while the cottage in Wales will be while Wills is on duty working for the RAF as a helicopter pilot ??

just wondering!
xoxos

a rough estimate would be about 265 miles. somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5 hour drive but probably less with the way the Brits drive. :cool:

but I am wondering.. what happened to that separate Cottage they were supposedly going to get? I didn't think they wanted to be next door to the Kent's ?

Last edited:
a rough estimate would be about 265 miles. somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5 hour drive but probably less with the way the Brits drive. :cool:

:previous::lol:
Thanks - maybe they will take a helicopter instead :lol:
xoxos

Last edited by a moderator:
As to the idea of moving into Princess Margaret's old apartment, it sounds good and sensible to me. I know they use it for display purposes but with turquoise paint? Getting rid of that has got to be good for everyones mental health.

Me too!:lol:

KP already has a security system, so it's probably more cost-efficient to install the Cambridges there then to hunt around for the more suitable accomodation. Or by more suitable, are they really talking about Clarence House, once Charles succeeds?

There's a home on Millionaire's row in Kensington Gardens, North Kensington, that I've long admired (Grissel & Petto 1846) which I think looks every inch a 'Cambridge' residence where it not for the rather small fences (in comparsion to the standard height for royal property) and clear view of the house from the road. Then there would be the issue of security in general which would need to be considered.

It has an Osborne meets Clarence House appeal I find. Kensington Palace is not very far and the Sultan of Brunei's London residence is around the corner.

In any case, it's already owned (Indian steel tycoon, Lakshmi Mittal), not on the market, costs an absolute fortune and isn't an option.

It is picture perfect though, imo.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/kensingtonGardens.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k225/comtessede/Mittal20Mansion.jpg

Last edited:
OK, now I am confused. First it was Nott Cott then it was an asbestos filled two roomed flat and now it is back to Nott Cott! :confused:

As to the idea of moving into Princess Margaret's old apartment, it sounds good and sensible to me. I know they use it for display purposes but with turquoise paint? Getting rid of that has got to be good for everyones mental health.
:previous:
G'Day Marg,
What is Nott Cott please???

:previous::whistling:OOoops!!
Forget that - Just read the article; Liking 'Nott Cott' :lol:

The article stated that William and Kate are looking into Margaret's 19 room apartment. I think this will be a perfect London residence for them in the future.

There's a home on Millionaire's row in Kensington Gardens, North Kensington, that I've long admired (Grissel & Petto 1846) which I think looks every inch a 'Cambridge' residence where it not for the rather small fences (in comparsion to the standard height for royal property) and clear view of the house from the road. Then there would be the issue of security in general which would need to be considered.

It has an Osborne meets Clarence House appeal I find. Kensington Palace is not very far and the Sultan of Brunei's London residence is around the corner.

In any case, it's already owned (Indian steel tycoon, Lakshmi Mittal), not on the market, costs an absolute fortune and isn't an option.

Mittal's house, pictured above, is literally across the road from KP. It is nt for sale, and is probably worth in excess of £100m - not the sort of sums the royal family are going to be stumping up for a property.

Please not it is not in North Kensington, but very much in the heart of Kensington.

The article stated that William and Kate are looking into Margaret's 19 room apartment. I think this will be a perfect London residence for them in the future.

Certainly in the future, but not a home they will be taking on till they enter royal duties on a full time basis.

Of course. What's interesting about KP is that the apartments look more like 2- 3 story houses houses that are connected.

OMG! That house is way too big for Wills and Kate, doesn't fit their laid back style. AND the press/public would have a FIT if they lived in suck obvious wealth!
BUT...If we are in the realm of fantasy...Marlborough House is part of the Crown Estates, now a commonwealth reception house. Much more appropriate!
Or Spencer House which belongs to his uncle!
The last time a Royal Ducal couple lived outside the Royal Palaces was in the 1930's when the Duke and Duchess of York, the present Queen's parents, lived at 145 Piccadilly. It had a Ballroom, greenhouse and 25 bedrooms.
I posted pics of 145 in Stately Homes With Royal Connections.

OMG! That house is way too big for Wills and Kate, doesn't fit their laid back style. AND the press/public would have a FIT if they lived in suck obvious wealth!
BUT...If we are in the realm of fantasy...Marlborough House is part of the Crown Estates, now a commonwealth reception house. Much more appropriate!
The last time a Royal Ducal couple lived outside the Royal Palaces was in the 1930's when the Duke and Duchess of York, the present Queen's parents, lived at 145 Piccadilly. It had a Ballroom, greenhouse and 25 bedrooms.
I posted pics of 145 in Stately Homes With Royal Connections.
:previous:WOW!
You Brits are very lucky to have so much beauty and history all around you!;)
I adore the large homes, Palaces, Castles & even larger country estates, I hope there will always be Royals and Aristocrates to fill them!
Enjoy them all!
& please take care of them for future admirers!!!:lol:

Mittal's house, pictured above, is literally across the road from KP. It is nt for sale, and is probably worth in excess of £100m - not the sort of sums the royal family are going to be stumping up for a property.

Please not it is not in North Kensington, but very much in the heart of Kensington.

Im fairly certain you'll note that I said Kensington Palace is not very far, that it isn't for sale, costs a fortune and is not an option.

It however has a Ducal presence about it which I admire.

Last edited:
I think William & Kate will end up in KP #1A in 2013; after the Jubilee festivities and exhibits and after William has fulfilled his RAF duties and they are in London in a more steady situation. I think the Queen is looking to the future and trying to arrange for a permanent home where they can raise their kids. Odds are it could be 25 yrs before William takes the throne. I think KP is more kid friendly than Clarence House (I dont know ... CH seems to be a lovely mansion, just connected to alot of palace business offices, doesnt really sound like W&K). The last residents to have small children there was the Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip before George VI died. Princess Margaret raised her children in KP; close enough to BP but not underfoot. And couldnt you just see Harry eventually taking residence with his family at KP (maybe Apts 8&9). just my thoughts.

Kate Middleton and Prince William 'object' to neighbours 'overlooking' Kensington Palace home | Mail Online

The press nor the public would are having a fit that W&C live in a house like this, they are royal, they are mean to live like this. I doubt all the rooms will be used in this house, just like at BP.

As you say, that house is used by the commonwealth secretariat, to kick them out just so the royals can have a home is rather rude. People would be put out and that would make for some wonderful headlines.

Spencer House is open for tours and available for hire for entertainment, which again would put numerous people out if W&C chose to live in their uncles house. Which I find very amusing.

Last edited:
The article in the Mail about W&C not being contend with Nottingham Cottage is IMHO the first try to get them to be more open for the media - it's an invented story which makes them look bad on using some facts (use of the sports field, flats of serrvants) on putting them together in order to create a negative image of William and Catherine. They don't even cite a "source", just state that the couple is not happy.... so what, that's how it is when you live in the city and surely they both are aware of that.

To Zonk

That is an adorable photo of Danish Princess Isabella you have chosen;
Thanks for sharing it.:)

One of the apartments at Kensington Palace I hear.
It should be easier for security as there is already Royal residences there (???)

** I wish we could get a guided tour !!** lol

Do all the 'major' royals live there, at the palace? Princess Anne etc?

MM

Do all the 'major' royals live there, at the palace? Princess Anne etc?

MM

None of the "major" royals (other than the Cambridge's) live at KP. Only the Kents (Duke, Prince & Princess Michael) and the Gloucesters live there.

Anne's London home is at St James', whilst her principal home is at Gatcombe Park in Gloucestershire. Andrew and Edward both have apartments at BP, and have their principal homes at Royal Lodge, Windsor and Bagshot Park respectively.

Back
Top Bottom