Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is unfortunate timing giving a growing talk of "cost of living crisis" - which the media are running with pointing out it is poor timing to announce they will be using another residence.

I wonder how long they will be at Adelaide Cottage and if the reports of them eventually using Windsor Castle itself during Charles' reign are true.

It is now officially confirmed - the Cambridges have a third residentice.

When Charles is King, will W&K's trio of homes be sufficient? After all, William will be Duke of Cornwall. He may need a new residentice further west, especially when he is PoW too. Then there's the very real possibility of them taking on Birkhall at some point too.

Is 4 or 5 homes too many to utilise sufficiently? How will this be viewed by the public? Will they retain their existing homes?

I am sure they will be fine. Unless he inherits Birkhall he won't be having it. One day he will probably own most of them...privately owned as in his father's homes (some were inherited as privately owned homes from the QM). There is no one else really to inherit now.

Most are owned by the crown and Charles has transferred the ownership of Highgrove, Castle.of May etc to a trust.

Well they may be in Adelaide Cottage for another 14 years until Louis is done with school...or he could go boarding in his teens. But in any case its 10 years. By then Charles will be on the throne in all liklihood and maybe even William himself.

Amner is their home and KP will always be their offices I imagine until he becomes the King or even maybe after that.

I think 3 homes ar plenty my goodness. I don't know why they are paying rent for the house. They don't for the others and are full time.working royals. Do other working royals.pay rent? They have been extradinarily quiet on this move probably to doaway with money criticism. I don't for one minute they didn't do it up to their liking.

It is unfortunate timing giving a growing talk of "cost of living crisis" - which the media are running with pointing out it is poor timing to announce they will be using another residence.

I wonder how long they will be at Adelaide Cottage and if the reports of them eventually using Windsor Castle itself during Charles' reign are true.

I doubt it if their children are still at home when that happens. Maybe once they have left...if they ever really do. I am going to restate that and sayaybe not until they finish school.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure they will be fine. Unless he inherits Birkhall he won't be having it. One day he will probably own most of them...privately owned as in his father's homes (some were inherited as privately owned homes from the QM). There is no one else really to inherit now.

Most are owned by the crown and Charles has transferred the ownership of Highgrove, Castle.of May etc to a trust.

Well they may be in Adelaide Cottage for another 14 years until Louis is done with school...or he could go boarding in his teens. But in any case its 10 years. By then Charles will be on the throne in all liklihood and maybe even William himself.

Amner is their home and KP will always be their offices I imagine until he becomes the King or even maybe after that.

I think 3 homes ar plenty my goodness. I don't know why they are paying rent for the house. They don't for the others and are full time.working royals. Do other working royals.pay rent? They have been extradinarily quiet on this move probably to doaway with money criticism. I don't for one minute they didn't do it up to their liking.
The Kent’s pay rent to live in Kensington Palace and as do the Gloucester’s.

I agree they can have as many home as they like, but the recent press coverage was quite negative regarding the acquisition of AC.
It’s a deliberate tactic by certain journalists and papers like Daily Mail and it tells that any Royal is fair game in their eyes.

The Kent’s pay rent to live in Kensington Palace and as do the Gloucester’s.

Prince Michael pays rent for his KP apartment as he is not a working royal.

Are you sure the Gloucesters and the Duke of Kent pay rent? I thought they would be in grace and favour homes, with no rental payable.

Are you sure the Gloucesters and the Duke of Kent pay rent? I thought they would be in grace and favour homes, with no rental payable.

of course they pay rent, assisted by the queen since they are not all that well off by royal standards but have dedicated most of their lives to be working royals.

The poster asked if the Kent’s and Gloucester’s pay rent on royal property. They didn’t distinguish between the senior or junior Kent, but whether the Kent’s paid rent. It doesn’t matter if he wasn’t a working royal or not, the point was that the Kent’s and Gloucester’s paid rent. Prince Michael of Kent was also given a grace and favor apartment initially but government officials specifically the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee were annoyed because the Kent’s were paying a paltry sum for rent money and wanted to evict them for the property to be used more commercially, but the Queen stepped in and has paying their rent due to the Kent’s charitable works as well as their nominal representations on behalf of the Queen at their own expense.

Last edited:
I don't see why they should pay rent...its their job. All for the non working royals doing it.

And I am glad the Queen helps her cousins pay their royal residence bills. They are not 'that wealthy' and have given up their choices to work for the firm.

I don't see why they should pay rent...its their job. All for the non working royals doing it.

And I am glad the Queen helps her cousins pay their royal residence bills. They are not 'that wealthy' and have given up their choices to work for the firm.

I always have a soft spot for the Gloucester family, they had a quiet below the radar life marked out for themselves , only married a short time when life had other plans for them ,

that is why she helps out. They are now expected to pay a market rent and could not possibly aford that.

Prince & Princess Michael of Kent pay rent for their apartment as they've never officially been "working royals" who represent the Queen apart from attending some events like the Cenotaph and royal ceremonies. They don't undertake official engagements like the Duke of Kent does. When there was a fuss that Prince & Princess Michael were getting to live "rent free" whilst not technically performing "official duties" the Queen stepped in and paid rent for them for a set period after which it was up to them to either vacate the apartment or pay the rent themselves. Prince & Princess Michael chose to sell their country estate and keep the Kensington Palace apartment and pay the rent themselves. The Queen does not pay it any more.

Prince and Princess Michael were gifted use of the KP apartment as a wedding fit when they married in 1978, it was a different time then when any HRH member was well looked after with no real distinction between those who carried out duties and those that didn't.

Whilst they didn't pay rent they did contribute about £70 per week to the upkeep of the apartment before the now paid rent.

It is said Princess Eugenie pays rent for use of Ivy Cottage in the KP grounds, again she does not perform official duties.

Only those who are working royal, representing the Crown and Queen get an official apartment, for which no rent is charged as it is required for their work.

I doubt William and Catherine pay rent, just as Charles doesn't for Clarence House and the Queen doesn't for living in Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
Prince & Princess Michael of Kent pay rent for their apartment as they've never officially been "working royals" who represent the Queen apart from attending some events like the Cenotaph and royal ceremonies. They don't undertake official engagements like the Duke of Kent does. When there was a fuss that Prince & Princess Michael were getting to live rent free whilst not technically performing "official duties" the Queen stepped in and paid rent for them for a set period after which it was up to them to either vacate the apartment or pay the rent themselves. Prince & Princess Michael chose to sell their country estate and keep the Kensington Palace apartment and pay the rent themselves. The Queen does not pay it any more.

Whilst they didn't pay rent they did contribute about £70 per week to the upkeep of the apartment before the now paid rent.

It is said Princess Eugenie pays rent for use of Ivy Cottage in the KP grounds, again she does not perform official duties.

Only those who are working royal, representing the Crown and Queen get an official apartment, for which no rent is charged as it is required for their work.

So why are William and Kate paying rent? Do it up at your own cost sure but they should live their rent free. He is the future King

They aren't paying rent for KP are they? That has never been stated officially.

They have chosen to rent Adelaide Cottage as it is a private home not necessary for their official duties. Anmer was a gift from the Queen so I assume they may meet upkeep costs but don't pay rent on it.

They aren't paying rent for KP are they? That has never been stated officially.

They have chosen to rent Adelaide Cottage as it is a private home not necessary for their official duties. Anmer was a gift from the Queen so I assume they may meet upkeep costs but don't pay rent on it.

No but they do Adelaide Cottage. I don’t think they should really.

All the members of the RF who live on the Windsor Estate, stretching out as far at Bagshot Park and beyond either pay rent or have long term commercial leases on their properties. The only possible exceptions were the Sussex's when Frogmore Cottage was their "official residence" replacing KP and once they left they paid rent. In general it seems that apart from the Queen the RF only get one official residence each - after that they can provide for themselves whatever they want and can afford. In reality I'm sure William and Catherine (and Charles who may well be picking up the tab) can easily afford the rent so it looks better to just pay it.

All the members of the RF who live on the Windsor Estate, stretching out as far at Bagshot Park and beyond either pay rent or have long term commercial leases on their properties. The only possible exceptions were the Sussex's when Frogmore Cottage was their "official residence" replacing KP and once they left they paid rent. In general it seems that apart from the Queen the RF only get one official residence each - after that they can provide for themselves whatever they want and can afford. In reality I'm sure William and Catherine (and Charles who may well be picking up the tab) can easily afford the rent so it looks better to just pay it.

Well Charles certainly only had one until he inherited from Grandma…everything else was privately owned. The brothers only have one, and Anne and Andrews were bought for them when they get married. They all really have two though as they have London basis.

He is the future King…it will all be his anyway…I don’t really care how many places they let him live in. I probably would have an opinion about the others including Harry if he was still working for the royal family. William is different, and I agree it’s just a PR thing this rent.

I personally thing it is a fabulous thing for their family and don’t really understand why it wasn’t thought of originally but there was always a decision to made before George reached 11 anyway because the previous school only goes up to Y6.

Charles spent a significant amount of time at Birkhall over the last 20 years. Would the new Wales family have as much use for a holiday home on the Balmoral estate?

Charles spent a significant amount of time at Birkhall over the last 20 years. Would the new Wales family have as much use for a holiday home on the Balmoral estate?

It has long been suggested that they have the use of a cottage on the Birkhall etstae called Tam-na-Ghar, provided to William by the Queen Mother when he was studying at St Andrews. We do not know if:

> that was indeed the case
> that he still uses it
> that the Wales family exclusively use it, or do other members of te family use it from time to time
> that the Wales family only use that property whist at Balmoral and do not stay at Birkhall, the Castle or any other property.

Anmer Hall is a Georgian country house in the village of Anmer in Norfolk, England. Built in the 19th century, it was acquired by the Sandringham Estate sometime after Queen Victoria purchased the property, and has previously been leased to business owners, civil servants, and members of the British royal family. It is currently the country residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales, given to the couple as a wedding gift by Elizabeth II.
More information: Anmer Hall - Wikipedia
Photo: https://c3.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G8618b099/22622056_gTlOS.jpeg
Adelaide Cottage (formerly known as Adelaide Lodge) is a house in Windsor Home Park just east of Windsor Castle, in Berkshire. Built in 1831 for Queen Adelaide, it is currently the principal residence of the Prince and Princess of Wales.
More information: Adelaide Cottage - Wikipedia
Photo: https://c7.quickcachr.fotos.sapo.pt/i/G3718ac80/22622058_QuQeM.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom