Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, the children could share, if needed. But I don't think they need a house there, they already have three houses.

I just don't believe this story, taking young children out of school in London for one thing. Secondly they could easily visit Windsor castle on weekends.

Frogmore House seems unlikely given that it's been used as a museum and other things for many decades and would need a lot of expensive remodelling to turn it in to a family home.

Well, the children could share, if needed. But I don't think they need a house there, they already have three houses.

Where is the third house , I can only think about KP and Sandringham. My mind has drawn a blank.

The Cambridges do not need Frogmore Cottage, and I don't believe they want to live there. But, if it's true that they are planning to move into it, that to me would sounds like an attempt to not allowing Princess Eugenie and Jack to continue to live there.

Tam-na-Ghar seems like a very private and secluded property and one of the least known ones too.

But why would the Cambridges move to Windsor? I still don't get it.

Tam-na-Ghar seems like a very private and secluded property and one of the least known ones too.

If I am not mistaken, that is the lodge that Sir Robert Fellowes and his wife Jane stayed in during Robert's spell as Private Secretary to HM.

But why would the Cambridges move to Windsor? I still don't get it.

The German press, especially BUNTE was commenting on that, that the Cambridges want to be closer to the Queen - A good idea imho since the Queen is really old....

I think the Cambridges need to have a London base, even if they have homes elsewhere.

This might be a bit of aggro in Prince Andrew's direction.

The German press, especially BUNTE was commenting on that, that the Cambridges want to be closer to the Queen - A good idea imho since the Queen is really old....

But why would they need to live next to her and in doing so prevent other grandchildren from living close to her? Their children are in school in London and they can easily visit her in Windsor from Kensington Palace. And it's not that the queen is in Windsor all the time and both the queen and they have royal duties to attend to. So, to me, it still makes no sense at all. The current arrangement seems to work fine.

To me it seems to be a story that was made up by the tabloid press and one that would only further divide the family instead of bring them closer together.

How would the Queen Mother been able to bequeath the property to William? Perhaps her husband bequeathed it to her? Wouldn't William have had to pay inheritance tax?

Last edited:
I don't believe this news either. It must be more speculation and rumors from the tabloids than anything else.

How would the Queen Mother been able to bequeath the property to William? Perhaps her husband bequeathed it to her? Wouldn't William have had to pay inheritance tax?

I think there may have been a degree of artistic license there. The Balmoral estate, including Birkhall and all the cottages on it, belong to the Queen. QEQM probably gave William the use of Tam-na-ghar, which he may have still retained. I can't see title deeds being transferred to William, for him to pay inheritance tax on, when he will, in time, inherit the entire Balmoral estate.

Aren't there over 150 buildings on the Balmoral Estate?

The Cambridges do not need a Windsor home, but neither does The Queen.

There have been stories about the Cambridges considering getting a home west of London for some time now. The take on the original story was that they were considering getting a home in that area because most of Kate's family is in that area. At the time my fanciful thought is that they could probably sublet a portion of Bagshot Park, Prince Edward's pile.

Again it is not needed, but I get why it would make sense for the Cambridges to move to Windsor. Once The Queen is no longer with us, then the royals living and most associated with Windsor will be the Yorks and Sussexes. I assume that if Charles had an interest in living at Windsor, then he would have already set up a residence there.

For me the question is should they move to the castle itself or another home on the estate(?), and while I see why they would probably like a standalone home, it may be better from an optics standpoint to be in the castle. One stat that I recall is that Windsor Castle is one of the largest, if not the largest, occupied castle in the world, and right now The Queen is the only royal resident of the castle. Of course, I am pretty sure that much of the castle is in use in terms of conducting royal business and storing artifacts, but I am pretty sure that there is space that the Cambridges can occupy, that hopefully will allow them to access the outdoors conveniently and privately.

If one or more of the Cambridge kids is into horseback riding or some other outdoor pursuit, that alone can be a reason to seriously consider taking up residence at Windsor, as it is much easier getting to Windsor than Anmer.

Coming back to the optics, yes there will be grumbling about royal privilege and no they really aren't like every day folks, but for many, once that first picture of one of the Cambridge kids riding a pony, better yet riding a pony with The Queen, is released, then I bet many of those grumbling will come around.

If the Cambridge family do move to Winddsor, yet presumably won't have 3 homes, will it be KP or Anmer that they give up? Seems a shame to leave either of these given the cost of renovating both properties. If the Queen and Charles can have multiple properties, I don't see why William and Kate cannot do the same.

If my memory is actually working today, I believe William and Catherine have stated that they plan on staying in 1A at KP until Will ascends the throne. Anmer Hall will eventually actually be owned by William when he is King. Charles doesn't own any of the properties where he has his residence. The Queen only owns the Sandringham and Balmoral estates. All other royal residences are either owned by the Crown Estates or, in Charles' case, the Duchy of Cornwall. We may even see Charles reside at Clarence House as king depending on if the renovations to BP are finished or not when he becomes king.

With the apartment at 1A, a place at Balmoral and Anmer Hall for the Cambridges, they're pretty much set to be "at home" in both places and may not even want another residence. Raising children, they may feel that a secure home to return to is important and don't want to play musical houses. William will even have the right to use the Duchy of Cornwall residences when he steps into the Duke of Cornwall role on the ascension of his father to king.

One thing for sure, they'll never go without somewhere to lay their head no matter where they go.

Last edited:
Are there houses on the Windsor Castle Estate like Anmer Hall on the Sandringham Estate?

Are there houses on the Windsor Castle Estate like Anmer Hall on the Sandringham Estate?

Whilst there are a number of houses on the Windsor estate, it is difficult to tell what may be available should William and CAtherine want a hom ethere.

The Cambridges do not need a Windsor home, but neither does The Queen.

There have been stories about the Cambridges considering getting a home west of London for some time now. The take on the original story was that they were considering getting a home in that area because most of Kate's family is in that area. At the time my fanciful thought is that they could probably sublet a portion of Bagshot Park, Prince Edward's pile.

Again it is not needed, but I get why it would make sense for the Cambridges to move to Windsor. Once The Queen is no longer with us, then the royals living and most associated with Windsor will be the Yorks and Sussexes. I assume that if Charles had an interest in living at Windsor, then he would have already set up a residence there.

For me the question is should they move to the castle itself or another home on the estate(?), and while I see why they would probably like a standalone home, it may be better from an optics standpoint to be in the castle. One stat that I recall is that Windsor Castle is one of the largest, if not the largest, occupied castle in the world, and right now The Queen is the only royal resident of the castle. Of course, I am pretty sure that much of the castle is in use in terms of conducting royal business and storing artifacts, but I am pretty sure that there is space that the Cambridges can occupy, that hopefully will allow them to access the outdoors conveniently and privately.

If one or more of the Cambridge kids is into horseback riding or some other outdoor pursuit, that alone can be a reason to seriously consider taking up residence at Windsor, as it is much easier getting to Windsor than Anmer.

Coming back to the optics, yes there will be grumbling about royal privilege and no they really aren't like every day folks, but

But when will the Cambridges need an additional home? It is bound to happen at some point. Even QEQM had 5 residences, even at 100 years old.

For the most part, any residences that the Cambridges will have from this point going forward are not actually residences that the Cambridges will own outright and claim as their own. They, for the most part other than Amner Hall, will just be given the *use* of certain residences to have the comforts of "home" wherever they need to be.

Actually, even Amner Hall at this time, does not "belong" to Will and Kate. They have the *use* of it with the understanding that once William does become King, all of the Sandringham estate will be his to inherit as his private property. Amner very well could be earmarked for George when he first marries and starts a family with the understanding that eventually, George will inherit the entire Sandringham estate himself.

So, wherever the Cambridges do set up household and maintain as their "home", it's not that they own and maintain all these properties but rather have the use of them wherever they're needed for the time at hand. Now if there was talk about Will and Kate buying a vacation home on Mustique to get away from it all, that'd be a unicorn of a totally different color. There has been no talk whatsoever of them doing this though.

For the most part, any residences that the Cambridges will have from this point going forward are not actually residences that the Cambridges will own outright and claim as their own. They, for the most part other than Amner Hall, will just be given the *use* of certain residences to have the comforts of "home" wherever they need to be.

Actually, even Amner Hall at this time, does not "belong" to Will and Kate. They have the *use* of it with the understanding that once William does become King, all of the Sandringham estate will be his to inherit as his private property. Amner very well could be earmarked for George when he first marries and starts a family with the understanding that eventually, George will inherit the entire Sandringham estate himself.

So, wherever the Cambridges do set up household and maintain as their "home", it's not that they own and maintain all these properties but rather have the use of them wherever they're needed for the time at hand. Now if there was talk about Will and Kate buying a vacation home on Mustique to get away from it all, that'd be a unicorn of a totally different color. There has been no talk whatsoever of them doing this though.

It is well known the Cambridges don't personally own the homes, but they and probably will get use of more properties soon. Even the Queen Mum only personally owned one of her residences.

Windsor castle has been used by monarchs going back to the reign of King Henry I and has given its the name to the British Royal House .I really hope that William does not abandons the tradition of Windsor being a royal residence whether he needs it or not as its symbolic and steeped in history and tradition.

Windsor castle has been used by monarchs going back to the reign of King Henry I and has given its the name to the British Royal House .I really hope that William does not abandons the tradition of Windsor being a royal residence whether he needs it or not as its symbolic and steeped in history and tradition.

I think the history of Windsor Castle has been steeped into the souls of all the British royal family since they were children and I don't see Charles or William ever abandoning that as they step into a monarch's role. Too much is already ingrained into tradition that connects the royal family to Windsor. The connection of Windsor and St. George's Chapel started in 1348 by Edward III and since then, the monarch has been responsible for the appointment of knights to the Order of the Garter.

I seriously doubt that either Charles or William would even think of messing with the history and traditions associated between the monarch and Windsor that has been in existence since the 14th century.

Perhaps when it's time for George to go to Eton (if that's the school the Cambridges choose) then it would be better to move to Windsor.

Didn't William used to stroll from the school to the castle each week, to meet with his grandmother?

Back
Top Bottom