Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Am I the only one that highly doubt that Highgrove will be "on the market" even when Charles is on the throne. Isn't that place his baby and safe haven? I think that will still belong to Charles!

Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. The scenario that makes sense to me is that perhaps when Charles becomes King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, Highgrove may be the perfect country house for Harry as its been noted lately that Harry enjoys gardening and could even be a father/son project in the years to come. Perhaps Charles will keep the use of it as his country escape too. Either way, I don't see Highgrove going on the market after all the work and dreams that have been put into it.

Highgrove belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. The scenario that makes sense to me is that perhaps when Charles becomes King and William is the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge, Highgrove may be the perfect country house for Harry as its been noted lately that Harry enjoys gardening and could even be a father/son project in the years to come. Perhaps Charles will keep the use of it as his country escape too. Either way, I don't see Highgrove going on the market after all the work and dreams that have been put into it.
I could see William and Charles doing a tradeoff though? William keeping Amner and Charles keeping Highgrove. I mean. Charles have worked on that work of art garden for like 30+ years. I think they will make so he can keep it.

And I didn't mean "on the market" as in for real. Just as "open for another royal"

Cambridge Residences: Kensington Palace & Anmer Hall

Harry doesn't have a steady private income stream that his father and brother will have. Can he afford the dozens of gardeners plus the inside house staff?

If you go to the Duchy of Cornwall's website the prime goal of the duchy is to maintain for future Dukes. We have two future Dukes already with William and George. They will be in the best position to maintain and add on to what Charles started. Let's not forget that Kate has a green thumb herself and has openly talked about growing her own fruits and vegetables.

Charles built Highgrove gardens from nothing to what they are now. When he is King, he will have Balmoral, Sandringham and Windsor to experiment on and bring his experience to. William and Kate are not going to take a bulldozer to the gardens of Highgrove the minute they become Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

If he wanted to keep it when King, could have bought it personally not the Duchy. He knew that his first son would be the Duke when became King.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
Harry will get a new title at some point and that may contain a good income stream.

LaRae

Harry will get a new title at some point and that may contain a good income stream.

LaRae

Titles don't generate income streams. The only Duchy's that do are the Duchy of Lancaster (for the monarch) and the Duchy of Cornwall (for the heir).

It won't. The only titles in the BRF with a income stream are the Duchy of Cornwall and Lancaster set up to provide a private income source to the heir and monarch. The Dukes of Edinburgh, York, Cambridge, Kent, Gloucester and what ever title Harry is created don't come with land and thus income from it.

Titles don't generate income streams. The only Duchy's that do are the Duchy of Lancaster (for the monarch) and the Duchy of Cornwall (for the heir).

I thought there might be one that could be separated out from the Monarch's group.

LaRae

I thought there might be one that could be separated out from the Monarch's group.

LaRae

That can't be done. The monarch can't use the capital, only the income.

Ah gotcha.

Well he's hardly poor...he has the monies from his mother and we can assume he will be taken care of by Charles as well....and perhaps the Queen will leave him some as well..

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
He isn't poor but he isn't going to have 15 million pounds a year coming in like his brother will as Duke of Cornwall. There is a reason that Charles out of his siblings is the only one with a large staff and multiple homes.

The Queen uses her private Duchy of Lancaster to fund the Royal activities and staff of the other royals. Charles will do the same when he becomes King. William as Duke of Cornwall will pay for the his family and Harry will be like Anne, Edward and Andrew with their own offices under BP funded by Charles.

The Queen can pass down things to Charles via a monarch to monarch transfer tax free. The same eventually with Charles to William so the bulk of things remain with the new monarch. There can be trust funds and such for the others but the private estates and jewelry are passed down from monarch to monarch.

Flying over or near Sandringham House when the Queen is in residence will be heavily restricted

The rules will apply to Anmer Hall from 1 November. Similar regulations come into force for Sandringham House from 1 December to 1 March each year.

The three-month restriction covers the Christmas period, when the Queen and other members of the Royal Family are in residence.

Regulations issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) state no aircraft is to fly below 2,000ft (610m) within the restricted airspace.

Last edited:
Flying over or near Sandringham House when the Queen is in residence will be heavily restricted

True. My message wasn't very clear. The Anmer restrictions are part of the overall Sandringham estate restrictions.

Does anyone know if there are flyover restrictions for other residences? KP? BP? Windsor? Balmoral? Bagshot, etc? I tried a couple quick/obvious searches om the CAA site - and got no relevant hits. I know it's a bit off topic, so move at will, MODS.

yes to BP and Windsor

Do other royal houses have similar restrictions over ie: Wassenar, Amalienborg, Laken, Zarzuela?

yes to BP and Windsor

Have there always been restrictions over Windsor - or, I suppose I should say, do you know how long such restrictions have existed? I realize that the flight restrictions only cover aircraft flying under a certain altitude, but I remember that during Edward and Sophie's wedding there was concern about the fact that a flight path into Heathrow goes right over Windsor and they were worried about noise drowning out the service - and indeed, just as Sophie was saying her vows, a jet passed quite loudly overhead. I seem to recall hearing that the royal family had asked if there could be a temporary no fly zone over Windsor Castle just for the duration of the ceremony, as it was being televised, but the request was denied. (Apologies if too off topic!)

Windsor is a under a flight path. I think QE2 can identify aircraft without seeing them, and based on TOD can tell you the flight info.

There are flight restrictions over Highgrove and during the Christmas break over Sandringham.

This particular no-fly zone has been imposed by the Department of Transport under a form of legislation known as statutory instruments.

"The Secretary of State has decided that it is necessary in the public interest to restrict flying in the vicinity of Anmer Hall, Norfolk, having regard to the security considerations associated with this location by reason of it being the residence of members of the Royal Family."
No-fly zone imposed above Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Norfolk home - BT

It was probably the right thing to do given the efforts of the paparazzi these days.

Windsor is a under a flight path. I think QE2 can identify aircraft without seeing them, and based on TOD can tell you the flight info.
These aircrafts don't fly below 2,000ft (610m).

Flight restrictions come into effect today. Flight restrictions will also apply to the main house starting December 1 for a 3 month period when the Queen is in residence over Christmas.

Regulations issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) state no aircraft is to fly below 2,000ft (610m) within the restricted airspace.

"In view of the need for security for the members of the royal family staying at or visiting Anmer Hall and at the request of the security services, the secretary of state (for transport) considers that flying should be restricted in the vicinity," the official order enforcing the move said.
Flight restrictions imposed over William and Kate's house, Europe News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Last edited:
It would be nice for William and Kate to have a holiday home somewhere, maybe on the Balmoral estate, especially as they use both KP and Norfolk on a weekly basis.

It would be nice for William and Kate to have a holiday home somewhere, maybe on the Balmoral estate, especially as they use both KP and Norfolk on a weekly basis.

I think William was given a cottage on the Balmoral estate. If that story was ever true.

I think William was given a cottage on the Balmoral estate. If that story was ever true.

If I remember right, William was given the use of a cottage on the Balmoral estate when he was at St. Andrew's. I don't think it ever was meant to be a permanent kind of thing but rather a bolt hole to get away from campus every now and then.

I really don't see them taking on any other kind of a permanent residence at this point although if they were to invest in a property themselves, it wouldn't surprise me that it would be in Wales.

If I remember right, William was given the use of a cottage on the Balmoral estate when he was at St. Andrew's. I don't think it ever was meant to be a permanent kind of thing but rather a bolt hole to get away from campus every now and then.

I really don't see them taking on any other kind of a permanent residence at this point although if they were to invest in a property themselves, it wouldn't surprise me that it would be in Wales.

Well, I'm not saying that it was his permanent cottage, but I'm sure he and Catherine can still use the cottage whenever they like. They could invest in a getaway in Wales though.

Well, I'm not saying that it was his permanent cottage, but I'm sure he and Catherine can still use the cottage whenever they like. They could invest in a getaway in Wales though.

Interesting point bringing up a possible place in Wales is that if they did, it would be the only property they own outright. :D

How do we know that they don't spend time in Wales? He is Prince William of Wales after all.

How do we know that they don't spend time in Wales? He is Prince William of Wales after all.

We don't. What we do know is that they grew fond of Wales while living in Anglesy. That's the reason I suggested that if they did buy property, it just might be in Wales. :D

He stopped being Prince William of Wales when he was created a peer in his own right as the Duke of Cambridge.

Back
Top Bottom