Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also think they will get a property closer to London :flowers: maybe you are right about the property in Herthforshire.

The apartment that used to be Princess Margaret's in Kensington Palace is being renovated as we speak for Willis and kate's London base. Check out the posts in the homes thread. Harry will move into Nottingham Cottage which is also within Kensington Palace grounds and is now Wills and Kate's London residence. the big announcment that William, Kate and Harry are also moving their offices to KP makes one realize jut how extensive KP is.

Its so big that the boys are back to where they grew up but not actually living in the apartments that Charles and Diana had. and then later just Diana. I wonder if they'll take the kids and play army as they used to as wee ones. :)

Osipi said:
The apartment that used to be Princess Margaret's in Kensington Palace is being renovated as we speak for Willis and kate's London base. Check out the posts in the homes thread. Harry will move into Nottingham Cottage which is also within Kensington Palace grounds and is now Wills and Kate's London residence. the big announcment that William, Kate and Harry are also moving their offices to KP makes one realize jut how extensive KP is.

Its so big that the boys are back to where they grew up but not actually living in the apartments that Charles and Diana had. and then later just Diana. I wonder if they'll take the kids and play army as they used to as wee ones. :)

I'll bet that when Harry gets married, he and his wife will also move into a permanent base at KP. Maybe Diana's old apartment.

Of course royal staff speak to journalists. Having a quick 'off the record' chat about what the royals are up to would be incredibly easy. That's why all the articles contain information from unnamed sources - they've promised anonymity to the individual who is 'in the know'. Journalists never reveal their sources, so there's very little chance of a staff member getting sacked for leaking info to the press, confidentiality agreement or no confidentiality agreement.

Anmer just doesn't seem to me to be a likely choice for William and Kate. It can apparently be seen from the public road, so unless they're going to construct a 10ft wall round the whole thing, I can't imagine this being a goer for them. I would've thought a Duchy of Cornwall property in the more traditional country escapes of wealthy Londoners (Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire, Hampshire) would be more likely.

Any ideas when KP will be finished with the renovating and the couple can move in. Surely some sort of time line may have been announced and perhaps I missed it.

MichelleQ2 said:
Logistically Anmer Hall may allow William to stay in Search and Rescue
https://twitter.com/royal_beans/status/293039497350873089

That's an interesting. It might be an ideal compromise, allowing William to stay in search and rescue but be closer to London so he can do more royal work as well. Plus it would allow Kate to do more engagements without being too far away from William.

It would make the Anmer Hall choice make sense.

I just hope they announce one way or the other soon.

I thought of this earlier, and also that Harry is based at Wattisham. So I did a RAC Route Planner from Anmer to Wattisham. Good news its only 62 miles. Bad news is that the RAC say is takes just under 2 hours travelling. This is obviously based on sticking to the speed limits. I know the area quite well and those roads are hairy as they are cross country and narrow.

But it is do-able.

Also, the more I look at Anmer hall, the more I love it. What a charming property.

I thought of this earlier, and also that Harry is based at Wattisham. So I did a RAC Route Planner from Anmer to Wattisham. Good news its only 62 miles. Bad news is that the RAC say is takes just under 2 hours travelling. This is obviously based on sticking to the speed limits. I know the area quite well and those roads are hairy as they are cross country and narrow.

But it is do-able.

I didn't realize Harry was at Wattisham. Wonder how the brothers would like being at the same station? I had originally thought Anmer was possible as it is only 30 minutes from RAF Marham. But they don't have a SAR unit. I suppose William could choose a desk job. It appears Marham only has fixed wing. Regardless, it does sound like William is trying to work out a life and family plan to do more, while still staying in military service. Good for him.

MichelleQ2 said:
I didn't realize Harry was at Wattisham. Wonder how the brothers would like being at the same station? I had originally thought Anmer was possible as it is only 30 minutes from RAF Marham. But they don't have a SAR unit. I suppose William could choose a desk job. It appears Marham only has fixed wing. Regardless, it does sound like William is trying to work out a life and family plan to do more, while still staying in military service. Good for him.

As close as William and Harry are, I imagine they'd love to work near each other and spend more time together

William is seconded to the RAF SAR unit from the army. If he doesn't stay in the SAR then he goes back to his regiment which is based in London/Windsor.

I think that RAF Wattisham is key. He can either remain as SAR pilot or become a trainer (which has been mentioned previously). The house on the SAndringham estate will give them the privacy they want.

With the shift system and the fact he would be living 62 miles away, he may have to spend more time on the base (at present he is only minutes away) but it could still work.

William is seconded to the RAF SAR unit from the army. If he doesn't stay in the SAR then he goes back to his regiment which is based in London/Windsor.

I think that RAF Wattisham is key. He can either remain as SAR pilot or become a trainer (which has been mentioned previously). The house on the SAndringham estate will give them the privacy they want.

With the shift system and the fact he would be living 62 miles away, he may have to spend more time on the base (at present he is only minutes away) but it could still work.

Thank you for the explanation on his service commitment. I too think it could work for him. Do you know how long this next commitment is? I had heard 3 yrs.

:previous: I believe its 3 years as well. The SAR is scheduled to be privatised in 2016, so this would be a key date for William. 3 years based in Norfolk and then full time royal from the age of 34. Sounds good.

Good for them. Very nice to have a country estate.

How far is it from London? I wonder what this means for William's career and their future. I know that's a separate thread, but it's interesting that they are supposedly going to use Anmer House.

Anmer Hall will be a weekend and holiday retreat. It is on the Sandringham Estate and is owned by the Queen. So (for example) when the Royal Family go to SAndringham at Christmas, William and family will be based at Anmer Hall.

It is too far from London to commute daily for any London based job.

Anmer Hall is discussed in detail in the future career thread.

How far is it from London? I wonder what this means for William's career and their future. I know that's a separate thread, but it's interesting that they are supposedly going to use Anmer House.

It's a two hour and 26 minute journey according to google. I did BP to SH, which I did chuckle at typing those directions into google. Anmer looks like it's going to be a weekend hideout with KP being their main residence. You could travel, it would be a strenuous journey, from Wales to Anmer for a long long weekend.

Anmer Hall is discussed in detail in the future career thread.

Career thread?

The architect who did work at Highgrove has been appointed to do the alterations at Anmer

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was an interesting piece, but then again, I'm interested in home renovations on historic homes. It's a stunning property- lovely place for them to be with their future children.

I was also thinking that in the future, having their own large home on the Sandringham estate will probably make the logistics of having Kate's family to visit much easier.

Personally I found these two paragraphs very interesting:

It now seems certain that the current tenant, James Everett, will be asked to move out of the property before his lease runs out in 2017, meaning the Queen may have to negotiate compensation with him for the cost of moving his upmarket kitchen worktop business, Norfolk Oak, which has its premises in outbuildings at Anmer Hall.
The planning permission granted to the Queen by King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Council expires in 2016, suggesting the monarch wants to have the building work done before then and move the Duke and Duchess into the Grade II* listed property, which was once the home of the Duke and Duchess of Kent.

Its becoming clearer and clearer that a move to Anmer will come sooner rather than later making it more and more possible it will hold a key part of the jigsaw of where William will go with his future career.

its either a weekend retreat or he's going to Wattisham

Back
Top Bottom