Wales Residences: Kensington Palace, Adelaide Cottage & Anmer Hall

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^^^
If the DM ever took a look at the history of Windosr and its many centuries of residents they would probably launch a campaign to tear the place down because lots of bad things happened to people there too, lol.

:previous:Right, any place that's several hundred years old will have its share of joy and sorrow in its long history, and KP is no exception. Britain is riddled with ancient homes that have curses, tragedies, supposed hauntings, deaths, what have you. And happy events as well, I would wager. So the tabloids do need to give it a rest and not act like KP is the only residence that's experienced misfortune.

Last edited:
I couldn't helping but take note that some of the "tragic" women of Kensington Palace died of the result of poor medical care, which was common for the time. Just because Kate will be living in Kensington Palace doesn't mean that she is doomed to suffer like them.

Actually it is an interesting article about the past history and residents of KP, and those poor ladies were definitely doomed because of the medical practices of the times. But this is a new day and age, and I'm sure the DM wishes the couple health, happiness and serenity in their new domicile. ;)

Last edited:
Actually it is an interesting article about the past history and residents of KP, and those poor ladies were definitely doomed because of the medical practices of the times. But this is a new day and age, and I'm sure the DM wishes the couple health, happiness and serenity in their new domicile. ;)

:previous:But if Will and Kate live happily ever after, whatever will the Daily Mail do to sell papers? :lol::ROFLMAO:

I had a british friend home for dinner to night and talking about the royals he told me the house where they live while he is working in wales it is not such a "normal house" like the newspapers are selling, it happen that he lives next city to them and he said the security is incredible and the house has the windows with such thick glasses bullet prove, etc.....

That doesn't surprise me at all; there's no doubt the farmhouse had to be customized for added security with bullet-proof windows and all other alarm features that we can't even imagine in the event of attack or attempted kidnapping. I also had heard that the outer buildings on the property housed the security guards. Not so normal a standard of life, after all, I would think.

That doesn't surprise me at all; there's no doubt the farmhouse had to be customized for added security with bullet-proof windows and all other alarm features that we can't even imagine in the event of attack or attempted kidnapping. I also had heard that the outer buildings on the property housed the security guards. Not so normal a standard of life, after all, I would think.

Preparing a residence with tight security measures is something that all the royals have grown up with and are used to by now. From what I've read, this has happened with any residence that William has lived in whether a university dorm, their rented quarters during the school years and anywhere else that William has lived. I believe that this was also done for Charles during his educational period too if I'm not mistaken.

Best to be safe rather than sorry.

I think, too, that what is 'normal' for us (maybe an alarm system for our home) is quite different from what the Royals would consider 'normal' (bullet proof glass, armed security on-site). I'm sure that William (and now Kate) do consider that they are living in a 'normal' home, maybe even a 'simple' one, given the supposed lack of a large domestic staff.

I think, too, that what is 'normal' for us (maybe an alarm system for our home) is quite different from what the Royals would consider 'normal' (bullet proof glass, armed security on-site). I'm sure that William (and now Kate) do consider that they are living in a 'normal' home, maybe even a 'simple' one, given the supposed lack of a large domestic staff.

"normal" for them would be "exentric" for us I gues, but I am sure William had all his life extreme security anywhere where he goes or live regarding her domestic staff I am sure it is more than we imagine, consider that the house had been probably modified for security and guards I am sure they have plenty domestic staff and quaters for them!!

FYI - Asbestos is really only a concern when it is disturbed. The fine fibers are dangerous when breathed in. If it's not disturbed then it doesn't cause issues. Of course, the ideal situation is to remove it altogether due to the threat of it being accidentally disturbed.

I'd think given the fact that the Duke and Duchess intend KP to be a family residence, they wouldn't want any of their children, not just themselves, exposed to asbestos whether dormant or not.

The need for removal has arisen due to the major renovations required. Once it is disturbed it needs to be removed and can be expensive and arduous...a fact that could possibly explain the rather extended project timeframe.

I believe they also had things planned to happen at KP so that affected it. I even saw something about the Russian and KP for the Olympics.

There are a lot of plans for Kensington lately. The Olympics , William and Kate moving in, Harry moving in, and William and Harry turning Diana's apartments into a charity office and reception area... All of these changes are for the good imo.

My last office building had asbestos when I bought it in 1992. I had it remediated and it took a month, with five men working, to pull it out. Set me back a small fortune. I had a choice, I could have had it sealed, but thought the monetary outlay would be worth something when it came time to sell. I sold the building in 2005 to the first offer. They wanted a building that had already been remediated and paid a premium due to that fact.

I really don't want anyone to live with the threat of asbestos hanging over their heads (or under their feet). Stability can deteriorate without anyone knowing.

This KP renovation is waaaaay overdue.

Tell me about the cost of getting rid of asbestos. I have a house that is totally built from fibro (asbestos sheeting) and I am demolishing it. To demolish the same size house built in weatherboard (wood) would have cost me about $AUS3,000 and take about two days but the total cost will be $AUS15,000 and take over a week.

Tell me about the cost of getting rid of asbestos. I have a house that is totally built from fibro (asbestos sheeting) and I am demolishing it. To demolish the same size house built in weatherboard (wood) would have cost me about $AUS3,000 and take about two days but the total cost will be $AUS15,000 and take over a week.

I thought I read that it will take until 2013 for the renovations at Kennsington Palace to be done. How long will it take for your home Iluvbertie? You must be so excited and overwhelmed all at the same time!

I'm guessing when the Cambridges are in London they go over to their apartment and check on things. Must be working on that nursery now.

Is that what royalty considers an "apartment" :eek:

I'd love to see them march in jauntily to the theme music of the Jeffersons. Do you think Will could strut in like Sherman Helmsley? :lol:

I guess any building that has rooms that have been broken up into various living quarters can be called "apartments" but when considering the vast size of them, its not the usual image that most call to mind when hearing that word.

I had to laugh thinking of Wills and Kate as George and Weezy. Hmmm.. Prince Lionel sounds good though. NO one can do that strut though better than Sherman Helmsley though. It was his trademark and it will be missed.

Perhaps this discussion the Cambridge's new apartment in KP should be moved to the KP thread?

I guess any building that has rooms that have been broken up into various living quarters can be called "apartments" but when considering the vast size of them, its not the usual image that most call to mind when hearing that word.

I had to laugh thinking of Wills and Kate as George and Weezy. Hmmm.. Prince Lionel sounds good though. NO one can do that strut though better than Sherman Helmsley though. It was his trademark and it will be missed.

Perhaps this discussion the Cambridge's new apartment in KP should be moved to the KP thread?

That would be very funny to see them dancing to 'The Jefferson's' theme song while moving into their new apartment.

I agree, Sherman will be missed.

The term "Royal apartments" is of long standing and refers to those parts of a palace/castle where the monarch stayed - rather than the public rooms, general offices, kitchens stores or (in more troubled times) the fortifications.

Back
Top Bottom