Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Thanks for the images. Now I am consumed with curiosity about how bright/light this room actually was. The watercolors make it look like a glorious light filled room of joy. The Getty pic, though decidedly ancient (relatively) looks gloomy to me. Old photos were tricky. Hmmm.

The watercolor is gorgeous.

Yeah, the watercolors look magnificent. Make me think that’s what the Chapel once looked like in the early reign of Queen Victoria-
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/02/19/1d/02191d6d0d99cd853c458b82d072b9f2.jpg

Here’s a painting of what part of the chapel probably looked like in color later on- Scroll to bottom:
http://godsandfoolishgrandeur.blogspot.com/2014/07/royal-victorian-weddings.html

The State Ballroom of Buckingham Palace in green in 1908-
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-state-ball-and-concert-room-buckingham-palace-66071036.html

Last edited:
Scotland Yard says a man has been arrested at Buckingham Palace on suspicion of possessing a firearm

Via Sky News Twitter

Buckingham Palace is set to see its biggest ever removal of priceless antiques and artwork as 3,000 @RCT artefacts are shipped out during a £369 million, ten year reservicing project. There have been no breakages so far, though, they assure me!

3,000 metres of potentially dangerous cable has already been removed as part of the refit, which palace officials insist won’t go over the their £369 million budget.

I’m also told the Queen won’t be asked to move out of her North Wing apartment at #BuckinghamPalace until 2025 - when she will be 99 - in order for the building works to be completed. But aides tell me she is very adaptable and told them: ‘Just tell me where you want me to go’.

Amusingly, Prince Philip, 97, who has taken a great interest in the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace, has told officials in charge of the work that he is in favour of a phased approach ‘as they will learn by their mistakes’. Ever practical is The Duke!

150 Royal Collection objects from #BuckinghamPalace's East Wing will go on loan to Brighton's Royal Pavilion @BrightonMuseums as part of the @royalfamily reservicing works https://bit.ly/2O6Wy8x
#ReservicingBP

It will take 6 weeks to move all the @RCT artworks and furniture from The East Wing to @BrightonMuseums Royal Pavilion – returning them to the original location they were intended for under King George VI.
#ReservicingBP
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/status/1048172020511514624

Not sure The Queen and Prince Philip will live long enough to see the finished results, but it’s nice that the media is optimistic about when the couple will have to move out. It’s really going to be finished for the next reign. I hope I’ll be around to see how it’ll all come together.

The Wessexes and Andrew will need accommodations else where during construction. There is also a large staff in residence. I don’t see bunk beds being an option.

The Wessexes and Andrew will need accommodations else where during construction. There is also a large staff in residence. I don’t see bunk beds being an option.
Anne, Andrew, Edward et al will be housed down the road at St James Palace. Apparently Anne has made the move already.

So, someone who has been there or knows enough about stately homes...

Those wood floors they are opening up - what are they? White oak? Maple? I could guess easily here in the states, but not so much across the pond. Thanks for any likely suspect speculation.

Anne, Andrew, Edward et al will be housed down the road at St James Palace. Apparently Anne has made the move already.

There's also York House within St James incase it gets all too cramped ;)

Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace today is the Royal Canadian Regiment with musical support from the Band of the Royal Canadian Artillery and @GrenGdsBand. Pictures by: @philipbisset

How awesome is this!! Is it up on YouTube as well Rudolph? Haven't seen anything of it in my subscriptions when I checked earlier, which is odd, as Veterans Affairs usually does when any of our Armed Forces take over Changing of the Guard at BP.

I'll have to mention this to friends of ours. Their son served in the RCR for about five years. Then when Afghanistan happened, he did one Tour over there & knew he couldn't go back. He also knew if he stayed in, he would be, so when the time came to choose, he left the Army.

He's been battling severe PTSD ever since & doesn't want to talk about w/anyone. Not even the WWII & Korean Veterans in our Area who came to the house to try to help. He turned them away.

Sigh...His Mom tried so hard to get down to Toronto for the Invictus Games last year & I thought about him a few times as well when attending events & talking to the Veterans. It would have really helped him I think, as they're pretty much all the same age/Generation & shared many of the same experiences as well. It's just so sad, but I know myself...You need to want help before taking it. Until then, you do what you can.

Such as letting his Mom know about this. Whenever anything big or special happens that has to w/the RCR, she wants to know about it. She's trying to keep track of stuff like this for hopefully the day he wants to acknowledge it. If not, then for his little girl one day.

So on her behalf, Thank You for the head's up Rudolph!! [emoji4]

The trees look lovely but the garland up the staircase is naff!

Thanks Eya for the lovely video of Christmas trees. Now all I need to do is go buy a tree and decorate it.....this Friday!.....maybe...:lol:

Reactions: eya
Love the Christmas tress and what a great free way to advertise the decorations from the Palace gift shop!

This move must have taken place between the 23rd and 29th January. Her engagements on the 23rd were listed under BP. She had no engagements on the 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th or 28th but the engagements on the 29th were listed under St James'. The rest of the family, who usually work out of BP are still listed under BP. It will be interesting to watch when they change and whether Anne moves back.

Maybe Anne had a few days off engagements to allow for the move.

Personally I wonder if Anne will move back, without being disrespectful the reign of Charles can't be that far away and would he want his siblings having their offices out of BP if he makes it his official residence? If I am right Anne actually has her London apartment at St James rather than BP so it has actually probably made life a little easier for her.

Maybe Anne had a few days off engagements to allow for the move.

Personally I wonder if Anne will move back, without being disrespectful the reign of Charles can't be that far away and would he want his siblings having their offices out of BP if he makes it his official residence? If I am right Anne actually has her London apartment at St James rather than BP so it has actually probably made life a little easier for her.

I think, in the long term, the issue of where her office is will be based on space constraints. The BP renovations are a decade long process, and I am sure, in time, Andrew and Edward will need to move their offices out. Difficult to tell at this stage if some of these end up at SJP (not sure if there is space) or at KP. Also, not quite sure if during the renovations, Andrew and Edward need to temporarily vacate their BP apartments.

This move must have taken place between the 23rd and 29th January. Her engagements on the 23rd were listed under BP. She had no engagements on the 24th, 25th, 26th, 27th or 28th but the engagements on the 29th were listed under St James'. The rest of the family, who usually work out of BP are still listed under BP. It will be interesting to watch when they change and whether Anne moves back.

No surprise at all to me that Anne was the first to move. "Let's get on with this" is her style.

No surprise at all to me that Anne was the first to move. "Let's get on with this" is her style.

Yes, always could relate to this style of her personality. Takes after her parents. Don't make a fuss if it must happen, just do it the faster the better.

Yes, always could relate to this style of her personality. Takes after her parents. Don't make a fuss if it must happen, just do it the faster the better.

Not disagreeing with your point about Anne's personality, but I think the sequencing of office moves may have to do with the refurb schedule at BP, and the part of BP that may have needed to be renovated. My guess is not all siblings have their offices in the same part of BP.

the sequencing of office moves may have to do with the refurb schedule at BP

I agree, works on this scale have precise schedules and timings, and the removal of the Princess Anne's offices will be in accordance with [and pursuant to] these plans.

I wonder if Anne having an apartment at St James made is easier to work out where to go where as for the others - Andrew and Wessexes- its a case of finding apartment and offices.
Also it may be easier for Andrew and Weasexes tonwork from Royal lodge and Bagshot which are close to windsor than it would be for Anne at Gatcombe as they wre closer to London.

There is a later CC, I believe as neither of my sources have put up the CC since 3rd February, which has her back at BP.

If her office has moved it wouldn't be down to her but to the timetable for the refurbishment.

There is a later CC, I believe as neither of my sources have put up the CC since 3rd February, which has her back at BP.

If her office has moved it wouldn't be down to her but to the timetable for the refurbishment.

Buckingham Palace
5th February, 2019
The Princess Royal, Honorary Member, the Society of Merchant Venturers, this morning opened the Hilbourne Foundation Building, Colston’s Lower School, Stapleton, Bristol, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the County and City of Bristol (Mrs Peaches Golding).

Her Royal Highness this afternoon opened SGS Berkeley Green University Technical College’s Gloucestershire Science and Technology Park, Berkeley, and was received by Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of Gloucestershire (Mr Edward Gillespie).

From The Times, so who knows what is going on ? I agree that any move would be based on the needs and timetable of the refurbishment of BP

I knew I had read that but I don't have access to The Times - it is behind a pay-wall and so rely on two other sources, neither of which have updated since the 3rd. For the British monarchy website that is not unusual - they can literally go two or three weeks without bothering to update (and some years important dates are still not up e.g. 2017 no Trooping the Colour). My other source normally updates within 24 hours of The Times but it also hasn't updated since the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom