Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seeing the video of this display in Buckingham Palace make me want to cry.

:previous: I buy the geese argument - we have them here and they are a huge problem in otherwise lovely municipal green spaces. I've seen successful broods of twenty goslings! The random Canada goose can create 4.5 pounds of excrement per hour and thrives on lawns. Said excrement is sticky as well as voluminous. It's a drag when you find it in that lovely spot your family has always held their annual picnic in the grass! As with all international migratory birds, they are protected here in the US. So there are no easy answers about how to control them.
Swans being highly aggressive and territorial sound like a good passive response.
But it would be a let down to see decoys in the Palace pond!

Buckingham Palace

It should also be noted that the Canadian goose is also evil. So even if their poop wasn't an issue, their attitude is good reason to want to deter them from taking up residence.

Odd never took geese for being scared if swans. Been to plenty of duck ponds to feed birds, and see geese and swans as well as ducks :ermm:

But yes geese are horribly noisy and messy. Though I find them far less aggressive then some swans.

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after three police officers were injured in an alleged terrorist incident outside Buckingham Palace.

The 30-year-old from west London has been arrested on suspicion of being involved in the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism, the Metropolitan Police said.

Second man arrested in terrorism probe after alleged Buckingham Palace incident - BT

An Uber driver terror suspect arrested outside Buckingham Palace had originally headed for Windsor Castle but his SatNav sent him to a pub of the same name instead.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, 26, was taken into custody after allegedly driving a blue Toyota Prius at a marked police car outside the Palace last Friday.

Police said the suspect reached for a 4ft-long samurai sword and yelled "Allahu Akbar" as he was tackled by officers and sprayed with CS gas.
Read more: Buckingham Palace: Terror suspect headed for Windsor Castle but found himself at pub of the same name

Not 'the sharpest knife in the Drawer' then.... [No member of the Royal Family was at either Windsor or Buckingham Palace]

I think Charles will go to BP, he is a traditionalist at heart. William will go to Clarence House. Harry will move into 1A, where he will remain as his city residence.

They already said that the Cambridges would stay at KP when William is heir apparent.

Yes, KP is the Cambridge's official London Residence until William is King.

:previous:

Not terrorist related.

Probably been partying too hard :lol:

I think Charles will go to BP, he is a traditionalist at heart. William will go to Clarence House. Harry will move into 1A, where he will remain as his city residence.

I don't know about Harry in 1A, but I heartily agree with the rest.

I also think that it is fortuitous that the monarch's private quarters at BP will be the last bit to be renovated. Charles has such strong opinions and preferences when it comes to interior design matters.

It boggles my mind to think of what kind of wonderful old silks and damasks must be in storage at BP and Windsor.

I don't know about Harry in 1A, but I heartily agree with the rest.

I also think that it is fortuitous that the monarch's private quarters at BP will be the last bit to be renovated. Charles has such strong opinions and preferences when it comes to interior design matters.

It boggles my mind to think of what kind of wonderful old silks and damasks must be in storage at BP and Windsor.

Probably many museum quality pieces stored away!

LaRae

:previous: When it comes to the public areas of BP I believe that HM and Charles are both of a mind to keep it as living history and many items of furniture and the art collection cycle through as ongoing work keeps these treasures in good repair. Silks fade, time and use cause wear, etc. Nothing can stay exactly the same because of that but essentially everything stays within the realm of the way things were.

The private areas of BP will definitely be furnished in a way that is both comfortable for the resident and make use of what art and furniture are available, regardless of who the monarch is. Clarence House and KP Apartment 1A were both in need of a complete renovation as Clarence House had not been updated since HMQM moved in and Apartment 1A hadn't been updated since Princess Margaret set up house there after her marriage in the sixties.

:previous: When it comes to the public areas of BP I believe that HM and Charles are both of a mind to keep it as living history and many items of furniture and the art collection cycle through as ongoing work keeps these treasures in good repair. Silks fade, time and use cause wear, etc. Nothing can stay exactly the same because of that but essentially everything stays within the realm of the way things were.

The private areas of BP will definitely be furnished in a way that is both comfortable for the resident and make use of what art and furniture are available, regardless of who the monarch is. Clarence House and KP Apartment 1A were both in need of a complete renovation as Clarence House had not been updated since HMQM moved in and Apartment 1A hadn't been updated since Princess Margaret set up house there after her marriage in the sixties. I think the amount of work needed in 1A gave them a much-needed wakeup call to ensure that even offices and storage areas need continual upkeep and repair as does any house or office.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the opportunity will be taken [pursuant to the necessary 'essential works'] to restore the State and semi-state Rooms to something closer to the architects original intentions. Over the generations they have been gradually 'watered down' from the colour-saturated magnificence originally envisioned. They were never intended to be 'lived in' but to provide a stimulating backdrop to official ceremonies and entertainments and as a fitting setting for the astonishing artworks collected by the BRF over the centuries. Now they are sadly faded, and a bit shabby.

The Private apartments are something altogether different, as personal spaces they should be comfortable, 'livable' and as suited to the tastes and needs of their occupants as possible. I have no doubt the Prince of Wales will ensure they are.

:previous: Just had a thought. How lucky that Prince Charles didn't go the way of the socialite and instead created the job description for the POW. Add that to his passion for restoration (Highgrove, Dumfries, his house in Transylvania, etc.) and you have someone in a position to say "no, that's not right" and know what he is talking about.

His ethos on restoration is posted on the webpage for his Transylvanian rental:
Our philosophy of restoring heritage architecture is characterised by utmost respect for the textures and atmospheres of ancient buildings. All the rooms have been lovingly restored and furnished with authentic antiques and textiles from Transylvania. The way we restore derelict houses is barely noticeable, rather would it seem that the buildings have aged gently and gradually without recent intervention. The property is not to be seen as a 'shabby chic' styled holiday resort, it is genuine in its harmony and guests feel like staying in a centuries-old private home.

I’m thinking the high cost of renovations for BP is due to the fact that things will be done on the same level as the Crimson Drawing room and St George’s Hall at Windsor after the fire, and that was no doubt a complete success and a showing of excellent British craftsmanship.

the same level as the Crimson Drawing room

This example is 'well chosen' being in the same style as, [and essentially] being by the same 'team' [Morell and Seddon] that did the interiors at Buckingham Palace for George IV.

Last edited by a moderator:
It cost a lot of money because the palace is a large building. The stuff they are doing updating the wiring, heating, roof that all cost a lot of money. Plus since it’s a historical grade building. That drives up the cost. Look how many windows are at BP. Replacing them with more energy efficient window is a huge task. The Palace hasn’t had a major rehab since after the War.

I’m thinking the high cost of renovations for BP is due to the fact that things will be done on the same level as the Crimson Drawing room and St George’s Hall at Windsor after the fire, and that was no doubt a complete success and a showing of excellent British craftsmanship.

It was always communicated that Buckingham Palace has to undergo essential refurbishment. "The refurbishment will renew the palace’s very outdated boilers, 100 miles of electrical cable, some of it 60 years old, and 20 miles of lead and cast iron pipework."

That does not sound as a complete refurbishment, renovation and redecoration as is currently done in The Hague, but I hope the interiors will be renewed too. When I was in BP three years ago, it really looked worn out when you zoomed in on details. (Stained doorknobs, faded gilt, damaged carpets, cracks in textiles like curtains and furniture. A moist smell downstairs and visible cracks on ceiling and stairs ornaments).

The excellent Windsor Castle work came in on time and under budget, I recall reading. That's almost unheard of!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom