Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that they also need to spend billions on repairing BP it is hardly possible to use it for parliament while refurbishing Parliament as they will also have to be refurbishing BP at the same time.

Had Blair not decided to 'save' money in 1997 but freezing the moneys spent on the maintenance of the occupied royal palaces the situation wouldn't be as dire as it is but now both major palaces need massive amounts of money to bring them into the 21st century.

Hampton Court would also need millions spent to turn it back into a royal residence as it is set up now as a tourist venue with open spaces and very poor security in royal terms - fine for a tourist attraction but not as a major royal residence.

Let the repairs begin!

Peter Hunt‏ @BBCPeterHunt
It's taken a Commons committee 13 minutes to debate and approve a 10% increase in the Queen's taxpayer funding (to pay for Buck Pal repairs)

A dissenting voice was @TommySheppard who argued the increase should be debated in the House of Commons.

The rise in taxpayer royal funding was debated by the Seventh Delegated Legislation Committee. They voted 10 -2 in favour.

The Sovereign Grant is now one step closer to going up from £43m to £76m.

The 10% rise in the Queen's taxpayer funding will come into force soon once it has been agreed to on the floor of the House of Commons.

There will be no further debate after this morning's 13 minute sitting of the Seventh Delegated Legislation Committee

The Buckingham Palace repairs are due to begin in April.

Last edited:
MPs have voted overwhelmingly in favour of spending £369 million on a major 10-year refurbishment of Buckingham Palace.

They backed changes to the Sovereign Grant - the funding formula for the monarchy's official duties - by 464 votes to 56, majority 408.

Two Labour MPs - Rushanara Ali (Bethnal Green and Bow) and Dennis Skinner (Bolsover) - were among those who opposed the move, including 46 from the SNP.
Read more: MPs approve £369 million funding for ten-year Buckingham Palace refurbishment | London Evening Standard

It's good that this measure passed with a large majority. Of course these MPs were just realists. The Palace is in bad repair. As a result it has to be repaired and refurbished. It's an historic national treasure. Even if the monarchy falls (hope not) it has to be maintained for the generations to come.

I'm willing to bet six bananas that it's going to be much more expensive, once they truly realize in what state Buckingham Palace very likely is in.
That's what happen when you keep postponing renovations and save more than you should on the day to day maintenance.

Absolutely right anyone that has done any work on a old house knows there is always a nasty surprise. Imagine what a renovation on this scale will dig up

I'll add the ice cream to the bananas and we can make a banana split. :D

The most important thing is that it was realized that BP is in serious need of work. Its not being done for cosmetic purposes to make the palace seem the epitome of luxury nor is it being done on someone's whims of fancy of what a palace should look like.

My understanding is that actually BP isn't the greatest of places to spend a night. Its cold, its drafty and I believe I've heard that recently, its kind of dangerous. Didn't something fall off the ceiling and the Queen was in the same room? Its been so long since this palace has been looked at seriously in all respects to its structure, its stability and what needs to be done without seeing the costs of the repairs and saying no go... too expensive and lets just do a patch up job here and there.

Patches only hold off the problems for a while. With this 10 year plan, I'm almost positive they're going to start realizing that BP is in far worse shape than originally estimated and the cost of the repair and renovation will go up and they're going to have to meet those costs.

Its too easy for anyone to take the word "palace" and imagine the lap of luxury and top of the line amenities but with BP, this most certainly is not the case. Much of what is within the palace walls is deemed priceless (art, jewel vaults, dining and drinking place settings, wine cellar etc.) and it would be a drastic misjudgment to not ensure that their housing are sound and secure enough to keep these things in a safe environment for posterity.

A new set of bollards have been placed outside of Buckingham Palace overnight, in response to the recent Westminster attack.

The Metropolitan Police have installed large yellow metal frames on the paved area which links Constitution Hill and Green Park; more barriers have also been placed on the Mall – like those outside Parliament, as a popular area of the city.

New security measures outside Buckingham Palace • The Crown Chronicles

If you hover over the Mary Poppins photo - that actually is from a Greenpeace PR stunt (hence the mask on MP's face). Bad reporting, or as we say here in the US these days, "fake" news, literally.

I hope Disney was charged an arm and a leg for this footage! And that the funds go to the reno or some equally valuable effort.

I can't find any connection between Patricia Mountbatten and the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. The 'Princess Patricia' after whom the regiment was named was Princess Patricia of Connaught. Lady Patricia Mountbatten was never a Princess - unlike her father who was born a Prince but lost that designation with the royal titles' changes in 1917.

Even if there was a connection it would be way too soon for that sort of honour to be arranged. They take months to organise as they take a lot of rehearsal and the regiment wouldn't have had the time to rehearse to honour Patricia Mountbatten and get to the UK in a couple of days.

Usually when a foreign regiment - or a non-household regiment - is standing the guard it is to honour some anniversary or major achievement of that regiment e.g. in 2015 the RAF stood the guard on the anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

Could it be in honor of a WWI event? Where Canada took a particular prominent part?

On 18th June 1917 that would have been during the battle of Passchendaele.

I can't find any connection between Patricia Mountbatten and the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. The 'Princess Patricia' after whom the regiment was named was Princess Patricia of Connaught. Lady Patricia Mountbatten was never a Princess - unlike her father who was born a Prince but lost that designation with the royal titles' changes in 1917....

The late Countess Mountbatten of Burma was the Colonel-in-Chief of PPCLI. She took over upon Patricia of Connaught's death in 1974 (Patsy Connaught was reportedly Patricia Mountbatten's godmother).

From The Guardian's obituary on the late Countess Mountbatten of Burma:

She was also colonel-in-chief Princess of Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (1974-2007) and vice lord-lieutenant of Kent (1984-2000).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jun/15/countess-mountbatten-of-burma-obituary

An article discussing Patricia's retirement from the role in 2007: Former GG assumes honorary role for regiment - Canada - CBC News

Last edited:
.....unlike her father who was born a Prince but lost that designation with the royal titles' changes in 1917...

he stopped using the title he didn't lose it if she wanted she could have started to call herself princess patricia of battenberg her sister Lady Pamela Hicks still could start calling herself princess Pamela of battenberg if she wanted .

Last edited:
The late Countess Mountbatten of Burma was the Colonel-in-Chief of PPCLI. She took over upon Patricia of Connaught's death in 1974 (Patsy Connaught was reportedly Patricia Mountbatten's godmother).

From The Guardian's obituary on the late Countess Mountbatten of Burma:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/jun/15/countess-mountbatten-of-burma-obituary

An article discussing Patricia's retirement from the role in 2007: Former GG assumes honorary role for regiment - Canada - CBC News

That was the connection I was looking for but I couldn't find her listed as a Colonel-in-Chief of the Regiment at all. Found a list but didn't have her name on it.

Could it be in honor of a WWI event? Where Canada took a particular prominent part?

Passhendeale didn't start until the 31st July though.

Something to do with WWI makes sense but not Passchendaele.

Today saw the balcony scene at Buckingham Palace for the Queen's Birthday Parade. I have seen it for years, those shoddy things behind the windows, and it surprised me no one replaced it: the vitrages (glass curtains).

http://static.socialitelife.com/upl...edding-London-England-04292011-09-643x675.jpg

Let us hope that the coming restoration of the palace will also include an upgrade of worn-out interior!

They came from the Brighton Pavilion when QV shut it and needed fixtures for the BP addition. They are quite old and valuable.

According to Royal Central, the honour is in commemoration of Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation, which happens this July 1. The regiment will be mounting the guard every day from June 18 until July 3.

According to Royal Central, the honour is in commemoration of Canada's 150th anniversary of Confederation, which happens this July 1. The regiment will be mounting the guard every day from June 18 until July 3.

Thanks. :flowers:
That's the marvelous thing about the TRF, there are always someone in the know.

That makes sense and Charles and Camilla are visiting Canada from the 29th June to fit in with that event as well.

I know that the Aussies have stood guard at times like the 100th of Anzac Day (with some Kiwis of course) and I seem to remember either in January or May 2000 (January was the 100th anniversary of Federation and May was the 100th anniversary of the first parliament actually sitting - opened by HRH The Duke of Cornwall and York - later George V.) To add some more to that date - 9th May - in 1927 the first Australian Parliament House was opened by HRH The Duke of York and then in 1988 new Parliament House was opened by HM The Queen on the same date - and many Aussies don't know the significance of that date at all.

Thanks. :flowers:
That's the marvelous thing about the TRF, there are always someone in the know.

That is what I love about TRF as well.

The funny thing is that as a Canadian I am well aware of Canada 150 (and spent a good part of the past week stuffing Canada 150 flags into envelopes as a part of a marketing campaign my company is doing), yet it didn't occur to me at all that that was why the Princess Patricia battalion was partaking in the standing of the guard until I saw the article on Royal Central's twitter this morning.

History made with first woman to captain Queen's guard
When Captain Megan Couto calls out her oh-so-familiar drill commands on Monday morning, she will make history.

When Captain Megan Couto calls out her oh-so-familiar drill commands on Monday morning, she will make history.

Photos from today

https://scontent.fath3-2.fna.fbcdn....=0ae8922c93cb4f876e508a6470fc4e4b&oe=59D0B915
https://scontent.fath3-2.fna.fbcdn....=a9db3a1093f0d57d9cdc55f0a3f701c2&oe=59D31307
https://scontent.fath3-2.fna.fbcdn....=2b9c4db88706a0798bae07857f4a1a11&oe=59CF476D
https://scontent.fath3-2.fna.fbcdn....=8e30eda948365e539773fea682a2cb63&oe=59D5CB64

Swan fake: Riddle of the plastic birds bobbing in the Queen’s Buckingham Palace lake spotted by tea party guests

Last edited by a moderator:
How proud this young lady must be to achieve such a high position in HM's Guards. What an accomplishment and honor this is.

Congratulations and may you obtain all your dreams and goals..:)

I assume the Monogram is that of George V, during whose Reign the Gates were created as part of the programme of works creating the Victoria memorial [1911] and re-fronting the Palace [1913].

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace is hosting a display of Diana Princess of Wales personal effects which were partly chosen by her 2 sons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom