Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Londoner I seriously CANNOT think of a viable location.. St James' ? {too small], KP?[too small and occupied] Hampton Court ? {too distant, and open to the Public, Lancaster House ? [ FAR too small.] An Hotel [the Ritz, for example] ? Privately owned, so to rent it, would add VASTLY to the cost of the whole exercise...

Others may have other ideas, but 'I'm stumped' !

Place the staff in empty offices (plenty of these in London) for the duration of the works. For representation the Queen can use Clarence House, St James' Palace, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court and Windsor Castle.

Note that large parts of the year the Queen already uses residences as Windsor, Holyroodhouse, Balmoral and Sandringham anyway.

:previous: Id just love to project manage this. So exciting

In Amsterdam foreign delegations were shocked to see how their heads-of-state would be housed. The French President, M Jacques Chirac, had to use an oldfashioned bathroom with a little radiator heater in a lightplug. The (lukewarm) water came a long way through 19th C led pipings. Wisely the French delegation did opt for a stay in hotels in Amsterdam...

Like in Buckingham Palace also in Amsterdam there are new pipings, new wirings, new technical installations, new High Rendement heating equipments, new elevators, new ventilation systems, improved lighting schemes, completely new kitchens with state-of-the-art appliances, new security equipment. That is what "the public" will never see.

Visible are: new wallhangings, new curtains, new tapestries, cleaned frescoes, freshly applied gold on ornaments, cleaned and repaired chandeliers, refurbished and re-arranged furnitures, etc. The bathrooms and sanitair were updated, as were the guest appartments and guest rooms. The exterior was carefully cleaned. All window panes were replaced. Still the herculean job is not done: now the mighty grand marble hall (Citizens' Hall) will be restored, undoubtedly again for a staggering amount of money...

Morale of the story: works to houses of this scale never stop... My advice to the British friends would be: when you are ready with the works, keep it up-to-date, do not delay necessary maintenance. It will only multiply the ultimate bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with a marketing bent could find a way of making recycled souvenirs out of all the bits they take out - pens from pipes, baskets from wire etc. And sell them to tourists with a certificate of authenticity. Not only recycling which would be approved of by Charles, but a massive money saving opportunity which the rest of the Nation would appreciate.....
Possibly an 'Artist/Craftspeople in residence' could make objects or sale, to help obviate the cost ?

Last edited:
It will remain a fantasy but it would be wonderful to tear down that awful East Wing (the façade) and restore the open quadrangle structure including the Marble Arch.

It will remain a fantasy but it would be wonderful to tear down that awful East Wing (the façade) and restore the open quadrangle structure including the Marble Arch.

I'd like that too.. but it would remove forever the Balcony appearances that are SO much a part of British Royal life..

Anyone with a marketing bent could find a way of making recycled souvenirs out of all the bits they take out - pens from pipes, baskets from wire etc. And sell them to tourists with a certificate of authenticity. Not only recycling which would be approved of by Charles, but a massive money saving opportunity which the rest of the Nation would appreciate.....
Possibly an 'Artist/Craftspeople in residence' could make objects or sale, to help obviate the cost ?

The building remains intact. Original stones will be re-used. The "rubbish" will be the old boilers, the led pipings, the rotten wooden beams, the cracked tiles, the rusty pipes, the asbestos plates, the dangerous copper cables with textile covers, the oil-leaking hydraulic lifts, the rusty water tanks, etc.

So I doubt there will be enough to sell as "souvenir" (and I doubt esthetic Charles would like that...). It is not like tearing down the Berlin Wall. It is a renovation, not a demolishion...

:lol:

afaik they aren't gonna start with the queen's apartment till 2025-6 when she will be 100 years old although i wish she live till 150 but i think that they are thinking practically that at that point the queen probably won't be there and the prince of wales will just stay in clarence house till they finish so there is no need for the queen to move .

Craftspeople could do WONDERS with that stuff, and the desire of visitors to 'own a bit of Buckingham Palace' is not to be underestimated.

afaik they aren't gonna start with the queen's apartment till 2025-6 when she will be 100 years old although i wish she live till 150 but i think that they are thinking practically that at that point the queen probably won't be there and the prince of wales will just stay in clarence house till they finish so there is no need for the queen to move .

I have to say I thought that to when the I read that they were saving the North wing until last. Even if the Queen, is (god-willing) alive by then I suspect at 100 years old she would be quiet happy to move full time into Windsor while the work is carried out.

I know it is a great deal of money to refurbish the palace. Yet once the work is done it won't have to be renovated again for several decades. And I'll bet it is costing more now because little or no renovating has been done since the Queen became Queen so now there is a lot more that needs doing.

These old buildings are a nightmare when it comes to modernization too, they weren't built with modern electrical, heating & plumbing systems in mind so installing or upgrading them is a real challenge.

It's very unfortunate that it was allowed to get this bad. If it had been maintained properly over the years, this enormous spend all at once would not be required. HM, her Household and the various governments through the years share the blame for this IMO.

The only way to make this at least partly palatable would be to open the Palace to the public for much longer each year. I know they're opening it for an extra 15 days but that's not enough. It should be open at least 6 months per year. HM spends at least that amount of time in her other residences. I haven't seen a really convincing reason for why it shouldn't open more.

Mind you, it's chicken feed when compared to the Palace of Westminster (which includes the Houses of Parliament for those who are less familiar with the UK). Apparently renovating it is going to cost upwards of £7 billion! A truly unbelievable sum of money.

The problem is that here in the UK there seems to always be pressure to do things on the cheap, so the Royal Household and the parliamentary authorities have made savings, including on maintenance of their main buildings. They both appear to get by paying for the running and essential maintenance but not having enough funds to keep the buildings in good order. Yes this saves money in the short term but eventually the buildings reach a point where the work is needed in one go before there is a disaster, hence why the public are now going to fork out £400million for BP and £3-7billion for the Palace of Westminster to be renovated to stop them from falling down.
As ever its short sightedness from those who control the purse strings (And in fairness also the media and British public) leading to situations like this.

In short 'a stitch in time, saves NINE' !

interesting opinion

The 85% of profits that are not funding of the crown grant go straight to general funds and therefore to the extent that this is reduced there is an argument that the taxpayer is paying. But that ignores the fact that the Crown Estates profits grew last year by 3 x the growth in GDP, while the annual return increased at 19.3 % last year, 20% the year before, 11% the year before that and 16% in 2011 and every year not only exceeded the target but also made it by far the most profitable investment anywhere in the public sector. So it is clear that the expert management of the Crown estates not only insures an extraordinary return but that since 2011 its value has grown from £7 billion to £11.5 billion last year. This means that the £360 million projected cost for the restoration etc of Buckingham Palace represents just 0.008% of the total increase in the value of the Crown Estates in just 4 years. The Daily Mirro has deliberately distorted the reality as have the critics who see this as an excuse to attack and undermine the monarchy. Buckingham Palace is not the property of the Sovereign, but of the Crown, and like the royal art collection is part of the national heritage. If there was some disaster causing a fire, or major damage caused by a water leak, if state guests find a leak in the ceiling or their bathrooms do not function, these same people would be ink to ready to attack the Sovereign for allowing this to happen.
The British Royals Message Board: Re: Buckingham Palace to get £369m refurbishment

Once considered one of the least “green” buildings in the country, the palace’s £369 million overhaul will feature a host of environmentally friendly upgrades inspired by Prince Charles.

The royal eco-warrior has played a key role in ensuring the palace he will one day inherit becomes as energy efficient as his current homes Clarence House and Highgrove.

Like those royal residences, Buckingham Palace is to be fitted with photovoltaic panels that use sunlight to generate electricity which can be used to supplement the power from the grid.
Read more: Prince Charles wants upgraded Buckingham Palace to be environmentally friendly | Royal | News | Daily Express

:previous: Why doesn't this surprise me one bit? Not only is BP getting a much needed renovation but also will be setting an example that there are ways and means to have sustainable energy. Once this project is all done, BP should be in good shape to last at least a couple more generations.

Al Bina -

SOME do, but most recognise that a building belonging to the State is the responsibility of the State's to maintain, regardless of whom the State chooses as its 'tenant'. I note the majority interviewed were not British, and did not have British accents..

Last edited:
:previous:
I liked an elegant way information was served.

Al Bina -

SOME do, but most recognise that a building belonging to the State is the responsibility of the State's to maintain, regardless of whom the State chooses as its 'tenant'. I note the majority interviewed were not British, and did not have British accents..

Indeed, Buckingham Palace is not a private residence and therefore its upkeep and maintenance should not be paid for privately. The Prime Minister doesn't pay for No.10 Downing Street or Chequers, Presidents do not pay for for presidential palaces.

remind me of something other members here said about how the way the questions is asked about the referendum on the monarchy can insure you getting the answer that you want you can see that some of the people who were asked when they wanted to know how the taxpayer gonna pay for it the reporter changed the conversation and said that 369 is a lot .
funny they didn't mention the 7 billion cost for renovating westminster palace.

No matter what happens in the years to come and whether the royal line goes into the next century with a monarch on the throne or the UK becomes a republic, Buckingham Palace, along with many other landmarks, are part and parcel of the UK's heritage and need to be preserved for posterity. I would state that is a bigger reason for extensive renovations above being a stable home for a royal family.

I don't find it unbelievable that many ordinary, everyday citizens could be under the impression that BP belongs to the Queen simply because she lives there and the monarch has always lived there for many, many years. From the times I have read the comment section of papers like the Daily Mail, the consensus is easily made that if the royal family lives somewhere, goes somewhere or eats something lavish such as at a state dinner, it is noted that these people think they do all of this with money out of the taxpayer's pockets. I could very well be one of those people with that belief if I had never came to TRF and through threads like this one, know more about how it all works maybe than a lot of people.

Its all really in what you know.

Security measures for the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace are being changed with immediate affect - in direct response to the Berlin massacre .

From tomorrow (Wednesday) roads will be shut for almost two hours around the Queen’s London residence for the event - held three to four mornings a week - as police reassess its vulnerability to attack.
Read more: Buckingham Palace reacts to Berlin terror attack by blocking nearby roads to traffic during 'Changing of the Guard' - Mirror Online

Security upped near Buckingham Palace after Berlin attack - ITV News

Video:
Heightened Police Presence at Buckingham Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

They must make this security plan permanent. Better that way.

One of Buckingham Palace's most time-honoured traditions - Changing the Guard - is switching to fixed days in the autumn and winter after security was stepped up in the wake of the Berlin terror attack.

The colourful military spectacle, which usually takes place on alternate days from August to March, will now happen on set days - Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays - during this period.
Read more: Buckingham Palace changing of guard ceremony reformed in wake of*Berlin terror attack

Ephraim Hardcastle with another idiotic article:
Perhaps Queen should offer Buckingham Palace to Parliament | Daily Mail Online
While renovation of the Palace of Westminster is debated, I’m reminded that when it burnt down in 1834 King William IV offered Buckingham Palace to Parliament.

The 658 MPs – there are 650 now – would have occupied the ballroom. The king was keen to off-load it but his offer was declined.

Perhaps the Queen, who prefers Windsor, could make the offer again. Buckingham Palace has 775 rooms, a staff lounge, a cinema, a bar and a very comfortable mess.

It also has a barber’s room, a gym, a dental surgery, medical facilities, a post office, a swimming pool and a large garden. There are also secret tunnels to Whitehall and Westminster.
And you have to ask? Is that man serious.

"It's too wet to woo for this Tawny Owl, spotted in the gardens at Buckingham Palace..." From the Facebook of the Royal Family

https://scontent.fath4-1.fna.fbcdn....=06b22629f917bcd91392e11a8ba74a56&oe=59359A11

Evicted Belgravia squatters 'posed security risk' to Queen - BBC News

""The Mall leading up to Buckingham Palace was closed off on Saturday as Disney filmed scenes for the new Mary Poppins film in Central London."

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! Buckingham Palace turned into movie set for Mary Poppins – Royal Central

Last edited by a moderator:
Ephraim Hardcastle with another idiotic article:
Perhaps Queen should offer Buckingham Palace*to Parliament | Daily Mail Online

And you have to ask? Is that man serious.

For once Mr Hardcastle had a good idea. There are so many splendid royal residences but the most ugly one is the face of the monarchy... A not to miss opportunity to shove that money-swallowing mammoth in Parliament's stomach...

Use Hampton Court and Windsor Castle. Fabulous residences. Of course Buckingham Palace can remain a venue for ceremonies like the Trooping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom