Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The morning news here just had a British reporter on who said that the repairs could take up to 10 years. If that is the case then the public will be completely used to BP not being a royal residence so no need for it to return to being that - especially if there is a new reign underway.

St James' is the 'official' seat of the royal court anyway so why shouldn't it be the 'official' home as well?

I believe 10 years is a good estimate, and I think it will ultimately be more than the projected costs (look at KP, for example). I've never known a renovation of an older place to not involve a lot of unforeseen headaches. God knows what is lurking behind those old walls once they start poking around.

I think the time is right to begin the renovation.. Both for the building and for the monarchy. It is long past due for the building and as for the monarchy... HM and DoE are spending 4 days a week in Windsor ... Just as easy for them to stay put in Windsor rather than shuffling back and forth. Hopefully the balcony will still remain accessible I think that is very important imagery.

I agree, but the press and the republic group will go absolutely crazy. We are talking about £150 million, probably even more.

Dickie Arbiter explains the problems the royal household has with such a small budget, and so many palaces that should be maintained.
Palace maintenance: 'Bits of the building keep falling off' - BBC News
The Press and the Republican movement whinge all the time. So, nothing new there.

What really surprises me is the best "Expert" the BBC could get to give an informed view of the historical value and specific structural areas of concern, was HM's elderly, one time Press Secretary. Now that's really doing your homework!

The popularity of BP is that there is a possibility that someone could see one of the royal family. Few probable know to look at the flag pole. Moving the family permanently out of BP to Windsor will severely affect the tax base of London. The Heathrow is already out there. Many people may never actually go into the city, or chose not to stay in hotels in the city. With the monarchy polling so high, now is the time to start.

I can just imagine the cost benefit analysis and discussion of all this.

I imagine the work could be done wing by wing - and with the 10 year plan, that would be a contractor friendly approach.

But with the cost of moving valuable furnishings, endless shifting of staff, dust control for the other wings and their contents, and security issues (and the cost of all that), the cost benefit might just dictate that there would be a huge savings with a move out - at least for part of those ten years.
I also think practical considerations came into play. Noise and security foremost, but I would imagine (and hope) that the main kitchen would get a need to be gutted, rewired, get new HVAC and the rest of it. So at some point the ability to feed people might be constrained.

Personally, I think there will always be a long term BP residence option in London. A lot will depend on how comfortable BP is post rehab. And I am certain there will be energy friendly elements to electric and heating/cooling retrofits. I am equally certain Charles was in on full consultation about the work. I am the first to admit that I hope the queen lives healthily for many more years, but with a ten year project, Charles and Camilla may be the first reigning residents when all is complete.

I also do not see it necessary for the Queen to live at BP. She seems to prefer Windsor and the long commute could be avoided in these advanced years. A refurbishment must indeed happen, regardless of the cost, and full consideration should be given to opening the palace for the full tourist season.

I also do not see it necessary for the Queen to live at BP. She seems to prefer Windsor and the long commute could be avoided in these advanced years. A refurbishment must indeed happen, regardless of the cost, and full consideration should be given to opening the palace for the full tourist season.

I think part of the issue, though, is that the monarch and other members of the family do need a London base, because a lot of events do take place in the capital. Having an apartment to sleep in while having work to do in London just makes sense. Otherwise that commute would really be a pain, if it has to be done for individual events.

However, in the short term, I can see that she might just use Windsor - though it would be a bit weird for most of the rest of the family to have a London residence, but for the Queen to have to commute.

Why do people think it will take 10 years?

They are not building a new palace. They are only removing asbestos, rewiring and updating the plumbing. They have already started. The asbestos was removed from areas in the basement so any wiring, plumbing and painting was probably also updated at the same time.

They will have multiple teams of people working not just a few people.

They have not decides how the work will be done but they will probably work in sections.

Example:

1.) A team of movers remove all the furniture, carpets and drapes from a few rooms.

2.) The asbestos team will remove asbestos from these rooms.

3.) Then the rewiring team and the plumbing team will come in do their work.

4.) Followed by the plasterers and painters.

5.) While all this work is being done, the carpets and drapes will be cleaned and repaired and the furniture would be repaired and upholstered.

6.) Return carpet, drapes and furniture to each room.

Step 5 would only apply to the nineteen State Rooms. (and maybe the Queens & Philip's private quarters.)

The articles I read stated the Palace would be closed for one year, which makes sense since the family and most of the staff would not be at the palace during the renovations.

IIRC, the State Rooms are on the second level, the Queen's & Philip's rooms are on the second level, the family bedrooms are on the third level. The staff rooms are probably on the fourth level and in the basement. Staff offices are probably on the ground level.

If BP is closed for a year, then three floors are empty or near empty of people.

If BP is closed for a year, why would most of the staff stay at BP?

The staff that is needed would move to Windsor.
The staff that can be placed at Balmoral, Sandringham or with other members of the RF will move to their new positions temporarily or permanently. The staff that cannot be placed will be made redundant.

Last edited:
I doubt that it will take ten years, but refurbishment and repairs might take longer than one year. Buckingham Palace is a very old building and things deteriorate when they've been neglected and left for such a long time. We don't know what might be found when floorboards and plaster etc are removed. Of course this is needed and will be done in stages but I can't see the cost of it as coming in below £100 million.

Many of these rooms are gold gilted and that takes a long time to remove and replace.

Removing asbestos also takes a long time and has to be done safely. If the walls are also made of asbestos sheets and that is possible not only does the asbestos have to be removed but the walls etc replaced and then plastered and gilted.

Doing room by room is one way but it isn't the most cost effective way. It is far more cost effective to go through and do have one team go through and remove all the astestos before another team come in to remove any other gilt and walls that have to come down to do the rewiring and replumbing to bring the palace into the 21st C.

All the art works would have to be packed up and moved to safety - which itself could take months to do - but it wouldn't be a good idea to have those treasures in the place while workmen are using the equipment they would be using.

The problem is that the British public don't want to spend any money on places like this and eventually the palace will become unliveable. I drove past their yesterday and the deterioration since I last saw it in person is marked and that was the outside.

The problem is that the British public don't want to spend any money on places like this and eventually the palace will become unliveable. I drove past their yesterday and the deterioration since I last saw it in person is marked and that was the outside.

I can imagine that there would be a big hue and cry from the British public too should the time come and it be declared that Buckingham Palace has been deemed condemned and scheduled for demolition. It is a national historic building and well worth bringing up to date now so that 100-200 years from now, it still stands proudly as a national historic symbol.

It may be a long term project and cost a lot of time and money but in the long run, it will be worth it I think.

Oh please! Buckingham palace would lose a lto of appeal and attraction if thw royal family had to leave it empty... What for then? Same redundant complaints from that front...

What do they think? She will go into a double wide along The Mall?

Another thing occurred to me that would lessen Buckingham Palace as a "must see" is that if the monarch is no longer in residence there, there will be no need for the Queen's/King's Guard outside the palace. Also, it very well may be the end of balcony appearances too. There is just too much associated with the monarch to Buckingham Palace that to remove it as a residence is to make the entire structure dull and meaningless.

Another thing occurred to me that would lessen Buckingham Palace as a "must see" is that if the monarch is no longer in residence there, there will be no need for the Queen's/King's Guard outside the palace. Also, it very well may be the end of balcony appearances too. There is just too much associated with the monarch to Buckingham Palace that to remove it as a residence is to make the entire structure dull and meaningless.

The Swedish royal family left the royal palace in Stockholm in the early eighties and that has stopped neither balcony appearances, the Kings guard and the changing thereoff. People flock in ever increasing numbers to tour the palace and take part in exhibitions and events organised there.
If the Windsors would stop living at BP they would follow in the footsteps of most other royal families of Europe which have left the grand old palaces at the centre of their capitals for more "modest" accommodations as Drottningholm, Laeken, Huis ten Bosch etc... in the greener suburbs.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I was in Athens in 1980-81 (just as they were joining the EU) and they still had changing the guard outside the royal palace even though there was no royal family at the time (they were already ensconced in London by then).

Video:
The Royal residence opens its doors for the summer - and shows visitors what goes on behind the scenes to stage a state banquet-

Secrets Of State Banquets At Buckingham Palace

Video:
Members of the public will be able to experience a State Visit at Buckingham Palace. ‘A Royal Welcome’ shows the State Rooms recreated for these special occasions. Shows: intv Anne Reynolds, curator and gvs of 'A Royal Welcome' exhibition-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=BUCKINGHAM PALACE GIVES STATE WELCOME TO PUBLIC

Last edited:
They have taken at least four weeks to get ready for the opening as various marquees etc were being set up during the first week I was in London. When I checked the date for the Opening this year last year, when planning my trip, it said 'early August - date to be confirmed' and by the time the dates were confirmed I had already booked by date home grrrr - Had I had the correct date I would have stayed and arrived home on Monday morning to go straight to school.

It almost seems that the opening is in late July except for 2012. Because of the Olympics they opened later in the summer but did a week in early July when the Queen was in Edinburgh staying at Holyrood. I specifically went to London that week to do the summer BP opening. I did it on July 4.

There is a lot of stuff that is set up in the garden. There is a Cafe, Gift Shop, Bathrooms plus the exhibition set up in the palace and the protecting the wallpaper paper, etc. It would take a while to setup. Plus they have to work around the events at the palace.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Oh please! Buckingham palace would lose a lto of appeal and attraction if thw royal family had to leave it empty... What for then? Same redundant complaints from that front...

The Spanish royal family does not live at the Palacio Real de Madrid, the Palacio Real de Aranjuez, the Palacio Real de la Granja de San Ildefonso, the Palacio Real de El Pardo, the Palacio Real de Riofrío, the Palacio Real de la Almudaina, the Palacio Real de El Escorial or at the Reales Alcázares de Sevilla. All these places are tourist hotspots anyway...

:flowers:

I imagine if the Palace was opened full time to the public there would be a lot of initial interest as people would want to see where the Queen lived etc. However if it went unused by the royals over decades eventually it would just be a 'big old house'. Yes it would still attract a lot of visitors just like the many other big old stately houses here in the UK but not as many as it would/does as a working, still used Palace.

The biggest draw of Buckingham Palace is the possibility of seeing a royal. Whether the Standard is flying or not, the possibility is still there. If the royals move out, it just becomes another museum, and much of the attraction will fade. I say do the renovations, open the palace a little longer each year. Open the palace, and they will come. Once it is redecorated, many will return just to see the changes.

But they could do it like in Sweden. Not live in the Palace but use it for all official receptions and such. In Sweden they have also other rooms then the State Apartements who are used by the Royal Family for audiences and such so despite that they work in a part of the Palace the State Apartements and the Bernadotte Apartements are still open to the Public for most time of the year.

Last edited:
I don't think so bad if royal family don't live the buckingham. Besides i don't think so the Charles when become King he lives there :)

I don't think so bad if royal family don't live the buckingham. Besides i don't think so the Charles when become King he lives there :)

I've heard it suggested quite a few times here that maybe, just maybe, when Charles becomes King, he'll prefer to actually remain living at Clarence House and go to BP for work. He does like to walk a lot. It wouldn't really be that much different than what the Queen does now with commuting between BP and Windsor Castle for long weekends.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom