Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only compare BP to the royal palace in madrid and IMO there is no comparison: the spanish one wins!

The British didn't really ever build a showpiece palace like the other continental royals. It probably helps to build palaces that monarchs in France and Russia were absolute rulers. It didn't help to keep their thrones. While across the channel you have a parliament to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I happen to think Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and Sandringham are magical places but not shown off as they should be. We see very little of St. James's Palace too. I think what makes those residences magical are the royals.

Although for the life of me I could not give a reason for it, I think its Windsor Castle that gives the best "lived in" royal feel. Buckingham Palace, to me, would be the place to go for the state rooms and business side of the monarchy and its ceremonies and traditions.

Although for the life of me I could not give a reason for it, I think its Windsor Castle that gives the best "lived in" royal feel. Buckingham Palace, to me, would be the place to go for the state rooms and business side of the monarchy and its ceremonies and traditions.

I see what you mean. Windsor is a very special place. I really like the Garter Room.

The royals used to highlight parts of the royal residences by having their portraits taken in them but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. Windsor is a very special place. I really like the Garter Room.

The royals used to highlight parts of the royal residences by having their portraits taken in them but they don't seem to do that anymore.

Well, the Queen still does. It is her home. I'm guessing that when it is someone else's home, portraits will be painted there.

The British didn't really ever build a showpiece palace like the other continental royals.
During the period OTT Palace building was all the rage {1650-1830 } British society was effectively run by a powerful Whig aristocracy, headed by a Monarch who, although powerful had neither the funds nor the inclination to build vast palaces [tied as they were, by Parliaments purse strings]

Grand Palaces were built, [Blenheim, Stowe, Kedleston, Holkham etc, etc ] but for the Whig aristocracy, who were invariably better housed than the Monarch to whom they owed alliegance.

BP [altho' loved by the people, as a centrepiece for national celebrations], is a third rate apology of a classical European Palace, and rather coarse in decoration [being built at the 'fag end' of the golden age of Palace building...] No-one has ever heard of it being appreciated [aesthetically or domestically] by the Family who HAVE to occupy it

Last edited:
During the period OTT Palace building was all the rage {1650-1830 } British society was effectively run by a powerful Whig aristocracy, headed by a Monarch who, although powerful had neither the funds nor the inclination to build vast palaces [tied as they were, by Parliaments purse strings]

Grand Palaces were built, [Blenheim, Stowe, Kedleston, Holkham etc, etc ] but for the Whig aristocracy, who were invariably better housed than the Monarch to whom they owed alliegance.

BP [altho' loved by the people, as a centrepiece for national celebrations], is a third rate apology of a classical European Palace, and rather coarse in decoration [being built at the 'fag end' of the golden age of Palace building...] No-one has ever heard of it being appreciated [aesthetically or domestically] by the Family who HAVE to occupy it

I used to live very near Kedleston and Chatsworth. We used to love, especially, the woods at Kedleston. Spent many happy hours there. I do miss the area.

In 1920 Lady Elizabeth Bowes Lyon went to Buckingham Palace for the first time, with a group of Scottish ladies led by her elder sister May. They had embroidered new covers for a set of chairs in the Palace of Holyroodhouse, and were presenting Queen Mary with their handiwork. Elizabeth stood in for her sister Rosemary. "Only one quarter of her chair is finished, so I shall be chucked out for certain!" she told a friend. However Queen Mary was highly delighted with the offering.

In July of 1920 Elizabeth was presented at court, at BP, and became a debutante.

From William Shawcross's official biography of the Queen Mother. Page 103.

I just love reading those kind of stories. I can picture the troops marching out of the forecourt with an enhanced drive to fight for Queen and country as Victoria watched them go. Must have really meant something to them.

The story about the Queen Mum and meeting Queen Mary with the chair covers is one of those glimpses into her that is rarely seen. At the time she probably had no clue that she was meeting her future mother in law.

Fascinating... simply fascinating. Thanks for posting these.

Oh how ridiculous! The rooms were probably being aired and the heating switched off - I do it all the time!

Plus I'd imagine there's no one visiting the Palace or in residence ,just the Daily Mail trying to fill a gap on a quiet news day!

Oh how ridiculous! The rooms were probably being aired and the heating switched off - I do it all the time!

Plus I'd imagine there's no one visiting the Palace or in residence ,just the Daily Mail trying to fill a gap on a quiet news day!

Well said. The DM really seems to scrape the bottom of the barrel ever so often in its bid to fill the pages.

BP said the windows were open due to redecorating and maintenance which means they were probably painting and the windows open to air the fumes and help it dry.

I can't imagine that in BP's heating system that heating to certain areas can't be turned on or off.

BP said the windows were open due to redecorating and maintenance which means they were probably painting and the windows open to air the fumes and help it dry.

I can't imagine that in BP's heating system that heating to certain areas can't be turned on or off.

I am still waiting to find a way to paint windows without opening them!

Apparently Philip, within a few days of moving into Buckingham Palace following the Queen's accession, began as he meant to go on. He began an Organisation and Methods Review, visiting every one of the more than six hundred rooms at BP and asking everyone on the staff exactly what they were doing and why. This did not go down well with many of the old guard but some of the younger courtiers thought it was 'like a breath of fresh air.'

Philip did things like carry his own luggage and call for any help instead of ringing a bell (though a bell would be more efficient than bellowing one would think) and would order sandwiches etc by phoning the chefs office himself. All these were innovations then.

Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open | Daily Mail Online

It is understood that it costs in the region of £1.1 million a year to heat the palace.

Jonathan Isaby of the Taxpayers' Alliance said leaving windows open on a cold day is akin to burning cash in a fire.

The temperature on the day plummeted to -3 Celsius.

He told The Sun: 'Closing windows on cold days is just common sense. Taxpayers don't have bottomless pockets. '

Don't be ridiculous. The Queen receives no extra money from the taxpayers to pay the electricity bill at buckingham palace.

The Mail say they support the monarchy, but It doesn't seem like it.

I'm so tired of the UK newspapers, with the exception of The Telegraph, and maybe The Times, although I see myself as a liberal.

Buckingham Palace aides under fire after 25 windows are left open | Daily Mail Online

Don't be ridiculous. The Queen receives no extra money from the taxpayers to pay the electricity bill at buckingham palace.

The Mail say they support the monarchy, but It doesn't seem like it.

I'm so tired of the UK newspapers, with the exception of The Telegraph, and maybe The Times, although I see myself as a liberal.

Most likely if there were rooms in BP that needed maintenance and/or painting, it would stand to reason that the rooms had the heat shut off and/or lowered and the windows open to fumigate the rooms. BP is a huge place and it would stand to reason that during the cold months, rooms that were not in use or didn't need to be heated aren't.

We do the same here in winter months. Rooms that we really don't need to use, we turn the heat off in them and close the door. Helps immensely with the electric bill.

What is the heating situation in BP?

Is it central heating?
Zoned heating?
Are there multiple heating devices to different areas in BP due to usage and size of the building/rooms?
Are some rooms only heated with fireplaces?

What is the heating situation in BP?

Is it central heating?
Zoned heating?
Are there multiple heating devices to different areas in BP due to usage and size of the building/rooms?
Are some rooms only heated with fireplaces?

No fires are allowed for domestic heating in London. Not sure about the rest.

So Muriel can you not have an open fire in a fireplace or have I got it all wrong? There would be so many beautiful fireplaces too

So Muriel can you not have an open fire in a fireplace or have I got it all wrong? There would be so many beautiful fireplaces too

That's right, you are not allowed to have open fires in London homes.

This is a spoof - an ad for The Royals in the US. Some people think its for real.

Ha ha I was thinking it was either an advert or a spoof!

Naked Man climbing out of Buckingham Palace window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRyM1TJE6HA

Chris Spivey has an article about it that I'd post a link to but I don't think the bad language would make it past the censors. Bad language aside he goes through it frame by frame and it doesn't look fake when you do that. It really does look like a man in distress trying to get in other windows. Google "nothing to f*cking laugh at, Chris Spivey" to see that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing, the video is fake (a hoax). There are no reports of an arrest, no any tourist has filmed it with the smartphone, there is no cctv-image, nothing. Just fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom