Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were there about a year ago and got confused about which way to go after viewing a gallery exhibit (Queen was in residence). My husband walked off on a path towards BP, and when I tried to follow, security immediately stopped me. I had to call to my husband to come back - it was as if he was invisible and the two guards were focused on me and a person behind me, we were all confused - I would not say it was the strongest security presence. We were just joking recently about, how had my husband not heard me and come back, might he have ended up in BP?

Oh, I know there were more guards, but it really looked possible to get quite close to the Palace without some of them noticing, on the side we were on.

Of course, there's nothing amusing about the intruders climbing a wall and kicking in a door, etc., if that's what happened.

Queen’s gardens transformed as William hosts historic game for FA

Queen

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal 1h
#royal All quiet now at the Buck Pal gate where Scotland Yard confirms a man was arrested earlier armed with knife pic.twitter.com/8uIsNbjG4W

phil dampier ‏@phildampier 59m
Man with knife tried to break into Buckingham Palace today but was dealt with "quickly and effectively" No-one hurt and Queen not there

BREAKING NEWS: Man, 44, arrested 'in possession of a knife' after trying to get through security to enter Buckingham Palace-
Man, 44, arrested 'in possession of a knife' after trying to get through security and enter Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

Originally the walls of the Grand Hall of Buckingham Palace were of colored scagliola.
The present white and gold décor dates from 1902.
:castle3::tea::sun:

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 4h
This year's Buckingham Palace summer opening will be an exhibition about royal childhood - obviously chosen because of Prince George!

The marble arch was removed and the 2 sides connected. It went from a square C to a box shape.

The modern version above the columns looks like a tribute to the 1846 design.

Is it possible the Queen and Prince Philip would ever consider moving out of Buckingham Palace to somehwhere smaller? This would allow a lot more of the extensive refurbish work to be completed before the next monarch moves in.

Most elderly people don't like to move and where could they move to?

KP - lots of people already there.

St James' - another large palace.

What about Andrew and Edward who also live at BP when in London? Would they have to leave their home as well.

The Queen and Philip already spend more time at Windsor than at BP.

It isn't that they live there that is the only issue but the enormous amount of use the palace gets e.g. the Queen carries out many engagements there but the rest of the family use it as well with virtually every member of the family hosting dinners, receptions etc at BP and often there is someone else having an engagement at St James' and/or KP.

BP is simply used so much that it is very hard to get the time to do the refurbishment that is needed.

It really needs to be shut down completely - no Trooping, no receptions, investitures, State Visits, dinners or anything by any of the royals for two to three years to be done for the 21st century as it is pointless for instance to redo the electrical wiring (which hasn't been done since the late 40s) unless the entire palace is done.

Where would the other 100+ people who live there also be housed or do would they have to be made homeless for the duration of the shut-down.

Not really feasible to do any more than piecemeal refurbishment these days - until the death of The Queen and even then they won't be able to do everything as there simply isn't the money.

It is already needed something like 50 million pounds to be done properly and every year that will simply increase. Had the government of John Major and then Blair, Brown and now Cameron insisted that the amount of money was maintained in real terms from 1992 onwards rather than cut it back so that the amount wasn't increased for over 20 years maybe it would be in better condition than it is.

Most elderly people don't like to move and where could they move to?

KP - lots of people already there.

St James' - another large palace.

What about Andrew and Edward who also live at BP when in London? Would they have to leave their home as well.

The Queen and Philip already spend more time at Windsor than at BP.

It isn't that they live there that is the only issue but the enormous amount of use the palace gets e.g. the Queen carries out many engagements there but the rest of the family use it as well with virtually every member of the family hosting dinners, receptions etc at BP and often there is someone else having an engagement at St James' and/or KP.

BP is simply used so much that it is very hard to get the time to do the refurbishment that is needed.

It really needs to be shut down completely - no Trooping, no receptions, investitures, State Visits, dinners or anything by any of the royals for two to three years to be done for the 21st century as it is pointless for instance to redo the electrical wiring (which hasn't been done since the late 40s) unless the entire palace is done.

Where would the other 100+ people who live there also be housed or do would they have to be made homeless for the duration of the shut-down.

Not really feasible to do any more than piecemeal refurbishment these days - until the death of The Queen and even then they won't be able to do everything as there simply isn't the money.

It is already needed something like 50 million pounds to be done properly and every year that will simply increase. Had the government of John Major and then Blair, Brown and now Cameron insisted that the amount of money was maintained in real terms from 1992 onwards rather than cut it back so that the amount wasn't increased for over 20 years maybe it would be in better condition than it is.

I read that there are lots of small properties available within the occupied royal palaces which are used for staff. If some of these become available, the members if the BRF who live/stay at BP could temporarily relocate to one of these for however many years is required. I always thought that Nottingham Cottage at BP would be an ideal size for the Queen and DoE.

Do you mean Nottingham cottage at Kensington Palace- where WK used to live and Harry lives now? That is a 2 bedroom cottage with ceiling so low that William had to watch his head. Not really appropriate for the Queen and Philip.

The household is trying to decrease the number of servants that live at BP so they don't become institutionalized There are apartments in the Royal Mews for staff.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A major refurbishment at Buckingham Palace, it's going to be very expensive. What will Rebecca English, Richard Kay and Richard Palmer say, it's going to be trouble with the press.

You really expect the Monarch to live in a tiny cottage. :whistling:

They can live at Windsor Castle but stay in Nott Cott when in London. Millions of other pensioners downsize when their family home becomes too big and empty for them or has too many repairs needing done.

We aren't talking about a normal couple but the Head of State and her spouse. Their apartment at BP isn't all that large so they really already live in a small area.

Separate to their apartment at BP are their offices - which take up a larger area - so a small cottage isn't all that they need but an entire office complex with rooms for office staff to work as well and the paraphernalia of a working office and press office.

As Philip said - 'we live above the shop'.

They can live at Windsor Castle but stay in Nott Cott when in London. Millions of other pensioners downsize when their family home becomes too big and empty for them or has too many repairs needing done.

The Queen is no ordinary pensioner, she is the head of state of 16 countries and head of the Commonwealth.

Space for offices and receptions aside, she is still the same as the rest of us.

Are you actually reading any of the very valid responses to your suggestion that show why what you're suggesting isn't feasible, or are you just trolling?

The Queen and DoE are not the same as any other pensioner - for one, despite their ages, neither is a pensioner. They are both actively working members of a government. The Queen is the Head of State and her home is comparable to any other Head of State's home. Would you suggest that the Obamas move into a smaller home so that the White House can be shut down for 3 years so that extensive repairs and updating can occur? I hope not, because it wouldn't be nearly as simple as that, nor is the case of BP.

Even when they did shut the White House down in the Truman administration. The first family stayed at Blair House which is a mansion not a 2 bedroom flat in Georgetown.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Are you actually reading any of the very valid responses to your suggestion that show why what you're suggesting isn't feasible, or are you just trolling?

The Queen and DoE are not the same as any other pensioner - for one, despite their ages, neither is a pensioner. They are both actively working members of a government. The Queen is the Head of State and her home is comparable to any other Head of State's home. Would you suggest that the Obamas move into a smaller home so that the White House can be shut down for 3 years so that extensive repairs and updating can occur? I hope not, because it wouldn't be nearly as simple as that, nor is the case of BP.

My point is that it would be an ideal opportunity to sort out BP once and for all before the next monarch moves in, but there are of course the issues mentioned above of the building being used on a daily basis.

And yes, if the White House required extensive repairs, I would see no problem with the Presidential family moving out temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom