Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Iluvbertie

Also the shop is open all year as well, because it is not in BP but on the other side of the road, near the public entrance.

Can still make some income then

The State Apartments are used all the time. The rest of the palace is private living space or working space.

To maximise tourist revenue means not using the State Apartments for royal functions and the parts of the palace that are open during the summer opening are the State Apartments - so the conflict is between the parts of the palace open to the public during the summer are the same parts of the palace that are used for royal functions during the rest of the year.

Other than the State Apartments there is the private apartments of The Queen, Andrew, Anne and Edward - taking up quite a large part of the rest of the palace, the living quarters of the live-in staff, the kitchens, the office space of those who work there, the space for the military based there like the guard, the space for the security people.

Last edited:
Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep. Of course, we have far less heritage to honor. I'm being cheeky! ;)

Well all I can say is that its a shame the architect didn't think of that. Think of the amount of money spent in the US upgrading all your State Houses.

Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep.

Thats really clever. Why did novbody here ever think of that? Do you think one of these clever logistics and space planners from America might be able to head over and tell HM how to organise her home and office?

Thank you Iluvbertie

Also the shop is open all year as well, because it is not in BP but on the other side of the road, near the public entrance.

Can still make some income then

I went to the shop today, was very busy, and the queue for the Royal Mews was several hundred long.

I am convinced that if the Queen and Philip were to relocate to a smaller house elsewhere in the palace grounds, the revenue from opening the entire palace and gardens would be huge. The public would be able to see where the royals currently live too.

I went to the shop today, was very busy, and the queue for the Royal Mews was several hundred long.

I am convinced that if the Queen and Philip were to relocate to a smaller house elsewhere in the palace grounds, the revenue from opening the entire palace and gardens would be huge. The public would be able to see where the royals currently live too.

There are no smaller houses in the palace grounds.

They would have to build a 'smaller home' in the gardens as currently there aren't any.

Having the Palace and gardens open all year would also add to the securty costs and mean that they couldn't enjoy their own gardens at all.

One of the attractions of BP is that it is the 'home of the Queen'.

I have stood outside BP and along with many other tourists watched as the Queen's standard went up and excitedly talked about the fact that it meant that the Queen was now in residence and how wonderful that was - it was why we were there - to see BP - a lived in palace.

I have never seen a queue for the Mews - and have visited it many times - just walked right in - are yo sure the line wasn't to get into the Palace proper as the entrance for that is on the same side and is usually quite long as people have set entry times?

Last edited:
I visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I was there, I saw the Coronation exhibition; and Prince Charles and Princess Anne's clothes are so tiny when you see them up close! The waist of HM's dress was also very small, I imagine that she wore a corset that day. I liked the chandeliers that were in the rooms, in particular the ones in the State Drawing Room. I was also impressed by the Grand Staircase, and I was thinking that so many royals/famous people have walked down those stairs. I also saw the balcony, and it looks quite small in reality (as far as palace balconies go).

The gardens are also very nice, it's a shame that you can't walk on the garden where HM holds her garden parties though; but I can sort of understand why members of the public don't have access to it. I also took a few photos of the palace and gardens, I'll post them here once I've saved them to my desktop. :)

I visited Buckingham Palace yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I was there, I saw the Coronation exhibition; and Prince Charles and Princess Anne's clothes are so tiny when you see them up close! The waist of HM's dress was also very small, I imagine that she wore a corset that day. I liked the chandeliers that were in the rooms, in particular the ones in the State Drawing Room. I was also impressed by the Grand Staircase, and I was thinking that so many royals/famous people have walked down those stairs. I also saw the balcony, and it looks quite small in reality (as far as palace balconies go).

The gardens are also very nice, it's a shame that you can't walk on the garden where HM holds her garden parties though; but I can sort of understand why members of the public don't have access to it. I also took a few photos of the palace and gardens, I'll post them here once I've saved them to my desktop. :)

Glad you enjoyed it HereditaryPrincess it sounds like a really wonderful exhibition!

Glad you enjoyed it HereditaryPrincess it sounds like a really wonderful exhibition!

It was a wonderful exhibition which I'd happily visit again! :) Buckingham Palace is now on my mental "royal residences and country houses to re-visit" list. Also on the list are Hampton Court, Chatsworth House, Charlottensburg Palace and Drottningholm Palace.

Last edited:
I was really surprised by how small the balcony seemed in real life when I visited. It looks so much bigger when all the family are on it.

I was really surprised by how small the balcony seemed in real life when I visited. It looks so much bigger when all the family are on it.

I totally agree! I went last weekend and the whole building looked tiny!

I agree!

Here are three photos of Buckingham Palace, taken during my visit:

Photo credit: My camera

Attachments

• BP Balcony.jpg
    BP Balcony.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 544
  • BP Gardens.jpg
    BP Gardens.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 502
  • BP Lake.jpg
    BP Lake.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 529
I totally agree! I went last weekend and the whole building looked tiny!
What you see from the front is a small portion.

It is vast. It probably is not correct but I've been all round BP (Garden Party) and the sides look longer than the front. But if you walk it, you appreciate the size.

This is the best floor plan slide show I've found. Apologies if its has been posted already.

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Plan_of_Buckingham_palace.gif

Queen Victoria was the First Monarch to live in Buckingham Palace and since 1837 has been the Official Residence of the Monarch.

But before 1837 where did the Monarch Live? Where was the official Residence?

William IV Windsor (hated BP and tried to sell it) probably - though he seemed to spend a lot of time not there - he had other interests that took him elsewhere. Bushy House

George IV - spent most of his time at Windsor - though he was renovating BP and used Carleton House

Wikipedia has this you can troll through: List of British royal residences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

William IV Windsor (hated BP and tried to sell it) probably - though he seemed to spend a lot of time not there - he had other interests that took him elsewhere. Bushy House

George IV - spent most of his time at Windsor - though he was renovating BP and used Carleton House

Wikipedia has this you can troll through: List of British royal residences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always read and heard that a lot of Monarchs (The ones who lived there) did not like BP. The only one who seem to like Buckingham Palace was King Edward VII. William IV, Victoria, George V, VI and Elizabeth all did not seem to like it.

Last edited:
I think Buckingham Palace is a beautiful place but I never had to live there so what do I know.

I really like the Virtual Rooms Tour of the palace:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/TheRoyalResidences/BuckinghamPalace/VirtualRooms/Overview.aspx

I think it would be wonderful if the younger royals would use the grand rooms to put on concerts for their charities and organizations and perhaps host award ceremonies. I would be very eager to book and use those rooms as much as possible. Especially the Ballroom.

Hi,

Since The Queen and The Duke were not in residence, perhaps the security there is lax, or laxer, than if they were??

The headlines blaring "Queen and Scare" are just another example of press and media hype to sell a sensationalist story.

Larry

But other royals, such as Andrew, live there as well so the security should still be reasonably tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom