Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, I imagine it must be difficult to keep the rooms warm, even if the living quarters are cramped. It seems we have become accustomed to central air in modern buildings and larger living areas. Because Buckingham Palace is so old, it must be difficult to adapt it to modern comforts.

I have been reading several books on British Royalty, and The Regency Room is mentioned frequently.

Where on the floorplan is room situated, and what is the usage of the room by The Royal Family?

The Queen's Year is a new exhibition at Buckingham Palace, as part of the Summer Opening. July 20th till October 1st, 2010.

The exhibition "presents the spectacle and variety of the royal calendar, from the Royal Maundy Service and the Trooping the Colour ceremony to the State Opening of Parliament and Her Majesty's Christmas broadcast."

Lots of ceremonial dress on show, including the Robe of State - on public display for the first time. also the Queen's racing trophies - of course.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=823

:previous:

The display pictured in the link looks fantastic. I would love to tour the exhibit.

I am reading a biography of Louis and Victoria Mountbatten, grandparents of Prince Phillip. When they returned from Malta where Louis had been stationed, they found London expensive and not having a large income, economized by living in Eccleston Square, a cheap and unfashionable section of Pimlico. However, it was within walking distance of a small rear entrance to the gardens at Buckingham Palace and Queen Victoria had given a key to her granddaughter for daily walks there.

Anyone have photographs of the Palace's gardens and this rear entrance?

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous. The colors are so brilliant in the rooms, they really pop out!

I am reading a biography of Louis and Victoria Mountbatten, grandparents of Prince Phillip. When they returned from Malta where Louis had been stationed, they found London expensive and not having a large income, economized by living in Eccleston Square, a cheap and unfashionable section of Pimlico. However, it was within walking distance of a small rear entrance to the gardens at Buckingham Palace and Queen Victoria had given a key to her granddaughter for daily walks there.

Anyone have photographs of the Palace's gardens and this rear entrance?
When I was in London I walked past this back entrance every day, it was near my hotel. Alas I didn't take any pictures.:sad:
I remember reading that the Queen use to slip out of this back entrance to go to the cinema with her favorite courtier Patrick Plunket.
Also, recently there was talk that BP is a real state of disrepair and needed renovations. Does anyone know if this is going to happen?

Last edited:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh occupy a suite of 12 rooms on the east facing wing of the palace. You can access these apartments via the White Drawing Room through a secret door disguised as a mirror, there is a handle attached to a sort of table. Prince Philip even has his own barber's attached to his suite.

The Private Royal apartments themselves are in perfect working order and need no alterations. Although, the state and semi-state rooms need a substancial about of work done to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh occupy a suite of 12 rooms on the east facing wing of the palace. You can access these apartments via the White Drawing Room through a secret door disguised as a mirror, there is a handle attached to a sort of table. Prince Philip even has his own barber's attached to his suite.
Yes, I believe Prince Philip occupies the suite that Queen Victoria's mother the Duchess of Kent occupied. Then later Kings Edward VII, and George V.
This suite consists of the Kings dressing room and bath, the Kings bedroom, the kings drawing room, the Kings study, the Indian room, the little chinese drawing room, and finally the chinese luncheon room, which there many pictures of.

I live in the US and sadly I have never been to London but I wish to go and go see Buckingham palace, based on the pictures It seems beautiful inside.
And another thing

Didn't prince Albert of Saxe Coburg and Gotha die because of the unsanitary conditions of Buckingham palace during his time?

I live in the US and sadly I have never been to London but I wish to go and go see Buckingham palace, based on the pictures It seems beautiful inside.
And another thing

Didn't prince Albert of Saxe Coburg and Gotha die because of the unsanitary conditions of Buckingham palace during his time?

From Wiki: On 9 December, one of Albert's doctors, William Jenner, diagnosed typhoid fever. Congestion of the lungs supervened, and Albert died at 10:50 p.m. on 14 December 1861 in the Blue Room at Windsor Castle, in the presence of the Queen and five of their nine children.[101] Though the contemporary diagnosis was typhoid fever, modern writers have pointed out that Albert was ill for at least two years before his death, which may indicate that a chronic disease, such as renal failure or cancer, was the cause of death.[102]

I also found this which I thought was quite interesting. This is the obituary that was printed in the Times. The Times Report of the Death of Prince Albert

With all the amazing history in BP and the grandeur of the rooms, BP would most definitely be high on my list of places to visit should I travel to London. The video posted earlier in this thread gives a pretty good virtual tour of the palace.

I said it with Prs. Mary and I say it again in regards to Kate Middelton: I wonder if they know just how lucky they are to be part of such history. To be able to walk the halls of a palace filled with history is just amazing. To be able to get close up and possible even touch something that has been in existance for centuries is just amazing to me. to sit in a chair that Queen Victoria sat in, or wear beautiful jewels that she used to wear that were handed down to her, is just amazing.
I'm sure they are and were blinded by the beauty and luxury of everything in the palaces, but I'm literally blinded by the history of these things. Who they belonged to, who made them, how they were made, ect. ect. That is what I find truely amazing. and to have them last as long as they have, is even more amazing to me!
I mean most days, everything today is made by machines, not by hand, and they fall apart easily.
I'm just amazed.....

Perhaps the "cabin like on a ship" is represented by the sleek wooden furniture. It might be teak, which would be very representative of a modern, mid-century ship.
Yes, i see your point. I wish we could see more, but this photo only gives us a glimpse...:sad:

There is an interesting note about the palace as well, that ties into the present royal family.

Although the architect of the East Front (the principal facade facing the Mall) was Edward Blore, the actual builder of the wing was Thomas Cubitt.

Thomas Cubitt was a leading master builder in London in the 19th century, and was also responsible for the development of Bloomsbury, Belgravia and Eaton Square in London, and for Osborne House in the Isle of Wight.

He was successful enough to build and personally fund a kilometer of the Thames Embankment as well.

He and his wife Mary Anne Warner were the parents of George Cubitt, who was created 1st Baron Ashcombe in 1892.

Thomas Cubitt and his son George are the direct ancestors of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall.

Wow! Thats really interesting. I never heard about that.
Thanks!:flowers:

Victorian Interiors of Buckingham Palace.

1. Floor plan of ground floor of BP at the accession of Queen Victoria.
2. First floor plan. The Royal apartments are to the right. Today the Duke of ED. occupies what were the Duchess of Kent's rooms.
3. Ballroom. Wills and Kate's "chillax" room!
4. Entrance hall.

Attachments

• sc00024407.jpg
    sc00024407.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,035
  • sc00025935.jpg
    sc00025935.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,061
  • sc00028745.jpg
    sc00028745.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 660
  • sc00029e8e.jpg
    sc00029e8e.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 933
Yes! Thats the Ballroom. But the photo shows how it looked during Queen Victoria's reign. Queen Mary gave BP a massive make-over in the 30's and your photo shows how the Ballroom was made over.
I've seen a photo of the Ball Supper room, but for the life of me I can't remember where.:bang:

Victorian interiors of Buckingham Palace.

The Picture Gallery during QV's reign and after QM's renovation.:flowers:

Attachments

• sc0014de3f.jpg
    sc0014de3f.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 539
  • sc0014f6e9.jpg
    sc0014f6e9.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 484

This is the balcony room in QV's time.
It was then known as the Tapestry room. It is flanked on either side by guests suits. this room was used by Empress Eugenie as her drawing room when she visited the palace in 1855 with Napoleon lll.
At the time this photograph was taken the tapestries were a century old.

Attachments

• sc001dbf29.jpg
    sc001dbf29.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:

This is how the balcony room was remodeled by Queen Mary after the First World War.

Attachments

• sc001da962.jpg
    sc001da962.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 594

This is how the balcony room was remodeled by Queen Mary after the First World War.
This is the room that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge emerged from to the Balcony for their first kiss....:ohmy::flowers::flowers::flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom