Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I once read something that really surprised me about Buckingham Palace, perhaps someone knows more about this. Much of the ornamentation on the front of the Palace is a "recent" addition and much of it was made of a kind of imitation stone called Coade Stone invented by a man called Coade who left the "recipe" to his wife and daughters at his death. They continued the business for some time and then when they died the recipe was lost forever. And no one has been able to make it since then. Has anyone heard of this?
I believe some of the ornamentation was added but I had no idea about Coade Stone, so I looked it up and found this
it appears it was invented by Mrs Coade!:D On this page it confirms that Coade Stone was used at BP.:flowers:

Summer Opening at Buckingham Palace 2009

Yesterday, PrincessofEurope and I visited Buckingham Palace for this years Summer Exhibition about The Queen in The Commonwealth.
I would highly recommend a visit and youshould watchout for PoE's blog about the visit.

Let us know what you think of your visit here.

In this video they actually show the queen herself receiving one of her guests and conducting a state banquet. Very interesting.
YouTube - State Banquets

who lives at Buckingham Palace who has apartments there, and where in Buckingham Palace wings do they live....

I believe that Princes Andrew and Edward and Princess Anne all have small apartments in Buckingham Palace. Princess Alexandra has a small place in St. James Palace. Prince Charles does not since he is so close to Clarence House. Prince Edward, Michael, and Richard alll have their homes in Kensington Palace.
Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth sleep there 4 nights a week, and the other 3 are spent at Windsor (when they are in London).

Thanks for the videos lillas. Very interesting indeed!

Prince Edward, Michael, and Richard alll have their homes in Kensington Palace
I am assuming that by these Princes you mean the Duke of Gloucester (Richard), Duke of Kent (Edward) and Prince Michael of Kent.

It is appropriate to give them their titles in order to distinguish them e.g. there are two Princes Edward in the RF - one is The Prince Edward The Earl of Wessex and the other is HRH The Duke of Kent.

It is very rare to refer to the Duke of Gloucester or Duke of Kent as Prince anything as their titles are used to identify them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're welcome :)! Glad you enjoyed watching it. I personally find the setting majestic and authentic at the same time. The Queen fits perfectly in her environment. I really wouldn't picture her conducting state banquets otherwise.

buckingham palace isn't really that huge but it looks bigger on t.v. though. it pales into comparison with the spanish royal palace.

Buckingham Palace is pretty large for a Palace. Every building looks bigger on the telly, even the Spanish royal palaces. :flowers:

Buckingham Palace if approximately 77,000 square meters whereas the Royal Palace in Madrid is approximately 135,000 square meters and contains over 2800 rooms! One could easily get lost in there.

Buckingham Palace if approximately 77,000 square meters whereas the Royal Palace in Madrid is approximately 135,000 square meters and contains over 2800 rooms! One could easily get lost in there.

Sure, but Buckingham Palace is largely occupied by offices and state rooms. It has often been reported that the private quarters are not particularly grand or big.

Buckingham Palace in need of proper maintenance...

Near miss at crumbling Buckingham Palace | Mail Online

"Fresh concerns about the parlous state of Buckingham Palace have emerged two years after Princess Anne's car was narrowly missed by a piece of falling masonry. Last week another chunk of stonework fell from the facade - this time almost striking a patrolling policeman. The incident is bound to reignite the row between the royals and Government over the cost of meeting vitally needed repairs to the fabric of the Palace..."

Would the Queen personally or the Government pay for these restoration costs, or both?

Would the Queen personally or the Government pay for these restoration costs, or both?

Both I assume. Like when Windsor Castle was damaged by fire in 1992.

The building it the property of the state so most of the costs should be paid for by the state but they are saying they don't have the money.

I suspect that in time the royal family will simply not be able to live there as it continues to crumble and becomes condemned due to lack of maintenance.

Are the politicians who are denying state funds to repair the palace some of those who, if i recall correctly, were dipping into state funds to pay for all sorts of personal expenses for themselves?

Are the politicians who are denying state funds to repair the palace some of those who, if i recall correctly, were dipping into state funds to pay for all sorts of personal expenses for themselves?

More than likely. :whistling:

In the US our White House is protected as a National Landmark, and of course the National Trust, and the National Register of Historic Structures has laws which "protect" these buildings from signifigant deterioration. (funds are set aside in advance for the continued and regular maintenence of these buildings) This takes "politics" out of the mix. IMO, it is a crime to allow further damage to continue to Buckingham Palace, history demands its preservation, and protection, no matter who lives in it, or who's in parliment at the moment.

I believe it is the Government's responsibility to maintain Buckingham Palace and all of its state rooms, as well as offices which assist the Queen. I don't believe she should have to pay for any of the restoration or maintenance, unless it is to personalize her own living quarters and perhaps the apartments of the other royals who live there. However, in a recession, it is very difficult to obtain funding for maintaining landmarks when so many are jobless and going without.

:previous:
Many people in this country think the opposite.
They never see Buckingham Palace, they don't live their why should they pay for it to be mainted. :ermm:

Many people in this country think the opposite.
They never see Buckingham Palace, they don't live their why should they pay for it to be mainted. :ermm:

They don't live in No 10 either but do they object to paying for its maintenance (which they do of course)?

They should pay for it to be maintained because they own it with the Queen as a tenant.

If the repairs and maintence aren't carried out by the owners then it will become unliveable and unusable and in about another 20 years will need to be condemned and pulled down for safety.

It is already dangerous with bit of masonry falling off - luckily no one has been killed but that will happen if maintenance isn't done and as the building is the government's responsibility, like many other government buildings the government will need to pay for it or be prepared to have it unusable - imagine the law suit if someone died from falling masonry.

I believe it is the Government's responsibility to maintain Buckingham Palace and all of its state rooms, as well as offices which assist the Queen. I don't believe she should have to pay for any of the restoration or maintenance, unless it is to personalize her own living quarters and perhaps the apartments of the other royals who live there. However, in a recession, it is very difficult to obtain funding for maintaining landmarks when so many are jobless and going without.

Quite right. It is indeed the responsibility of the government to pay for the upkeep of BP. It is not the personal property of HM, so I cannot imagine why she should pay for its structural repairs.

Indeed, asking the Queen to pay for maintenance, restoration and upkeep would be like giving the President a bill for living in the White House.

And according to Sarah's description of BP in her book, while she lived there with PA before and in the early days of their marriage, it wasn't very comfortable.

And according to Sarah's description of BP in her book, while she lived there with PA before and in the early days of their marriage, it wasn't very comfortable.

What were her complaints about Buckingham Palace?

What were her complaints about Buckingham Palace?

It has generally be acknowledged that BP is actually quite a cold and draughty building, and the living quarters can be quite cramped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom