Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be fairly certain that the job comes with full room and board. Given that this is probably the most exclusive part of central London, the room and board is probably worth at least £10k per year.

Full rabbit hole and board. The employee's quaters are known to be more compact than they are necessarily comfortable.

The reason that the salaries within the royal household are low is that most of them include free accommodation and meals. No doubt the room they're given isn't huge, but it's slap bang in the middle of the poshest bit of London and privately renting the equivalent room would cost, I would guess, at least £500 per month. Add on to that transport costs, food, heating, electricity etc etc and it becomes a considerable sum.

On top of all that, being able to put on your resume that you worked within the royal household is a huge boost to anyone's career, particularly within the hospitality sector.

With all the above considered, and of course it must be, the disposable income of the indavidual is still incredibly small for the work that's entailed to maintain the comfort and lifestyle of others.

Sounds like the job is paying the minimum wage as a starter. I'd be happy running someone's bath and bringing them breakfast, but cleaning up after them when they go - I'm not so sure.....then again, that's what I do each day at home!
I am intrigued to know who exactly would the visitors be?

Queen Mary’s Chinese Chippendale Room in BP:

preview_51_ChippendaleDrawingRoom-Jack.jpg

Corbis-SX001743.jpg

Buckingham palace has such amazing beautiful rooms including the beautiful white drawing room with the portrait of queen alexandra above the fireplace.

I think this room is in Holyrood House. Things look somewhat threadbare.

My dear Joye,

I don't think the rooms in Holyrood Palace are threadbare, or at least, are no more threadbare than the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Is there another reason why you believe the photograph of the Queen with someone who appears to be a Roman Catholic prelate was taken at Holyrood Palace?

My dear Joye,

I don't think the rooms in Holyrood Palace are threadbare, or at least, are no more threadbare than the rooms at Buckingham Palace. Is there another reason why you believe the photograph of the Queen with someone who appears to be a Roman Catholic prelate was taken at Holyrood Palace?

I believe the prelate in Cardinal Hume, Archbishop of Westminster who received the OM from the Queen in 1999.

I believe the prelate in Cardinal Hume, Archbishop of Westminster who received the OM from the Queen in 1999.

With your information I was able to confirm that this photo was taken at Buckingham Palace. The Cardinal who was very ill visited BP to receive The Order of Merit from The Queen.
Sorry no mention of which room, and I do not know myself which room.

With your information I was able to confirm that this photo was taken at Buckingham Palace. The Cardinal who was very ill visited BP to receive The Order of Merit from The Queen.
Sorry no mention of which room, and I do not know myself which room.

it's for sure 18th-century room, part of the belgian suite (BP ground floor).

the same carpet and colour of the walls:

article-0-0068F9061000044C-594_634x446.jpg

and the same furnitures on the left side of the photo:
73103547.jpg

Buckingham palace

why don't all the British royals live their

why don't all the British royals live their

From what I've read about Buckingham Palace is that as expansive as it is, you'd need a good pair of roller blades or a small mini bike to "zip" to the kitchen for a midnight snack. Its HUGE!

Although the Queen and the DoE reside there during the week (its easier to think of BP as the "office of the Firm", from Thursday until Monday, they're primarily at Windsor Castle unless at Sandringham over the Christmas holidays or Balmoral in the summer. I believe Anne, Andrew and Edward still have apartments there that they can use while in London too.

I think Anne actually has an apartment at St James' Palace but having seen her being interviewed at Buckingham Palace I think she must have an office there.

From what I've read about Buckingham Palace is that as expansive as it is, you'd need a good pair of roller blades or a small mini bike to "zip" to the kitchen for a midnight snack. Its HUGE!

Although the Queen and the DoE reside there during the week (its easier to think of BP as the "office of the Firm", from Thursday until Monday, they're primarily at Windsor Castle unless at Sandringham over the Christmas holidays or Balmoral in the summer. I believe Anne, Andrew and Edward still have apartments there that they can use while in London too.

Funny you should make this point, Osipi, as on the ITV documentary about the Queen last night, Prince Andrew showed the corridor at BP where he and his brother used to play as children. He said they never broke anything (amazingly); but the reason they played there is that it was a mile long walk from their rooms in Buckingham Palace to the garden! Understandably, they sometimes couldn't be bothered to walk that far to play outside, so they played along the hallway amid the priceless antiques.

I suppose us normal folk don't think about how big these palaces are and how long it would take to walk from one side of the building to the other.

Hello. This is my first post on here. I just wanted to say that I am booked on a tour of the State Rooms at Buckingham Palace on June 30th and I am so excited! Has anyone else on here been inside the Palace? What was your experience?

The Queen in bed after the birth of Prince Edward.
In the Belgian Suite, I think.

Attachments

• article-2145520-00051AB700000258-682_634x596.jpg
    article-2145520-00051AB700000258-682_634x596.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 608
I often wondered if any of the fireplaces at Buckingham Palace are still used?

In Fine Style: The Arts of Tudor and Stuart Fashion:
The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace:
May 10th - October 6th 2013

"This exhibition explores the sumptuous costume of British monarchs and their court during the 16th and 17th centuries through portraits in the Royal Collection. During this period fashion was central to court life and was an important way to display social status. Royalty and the elite were the tastemakers of the day, often directly influencing the styles of fashionable clothing.

In Fine Style follows the changing fashions of the period, demonstrates the spread of styles internationally and shows how clothing could convey important messages. Including works by Hans Holbein the Younger, Nicholas Hilliard, Van Dyck and Peter Lely, the exhibition brings together over 60 paintings, as well as drawings, garments, jewellery, accessories and armour."

In Fine Style: The Art of Tudor and Stuart Fashion | Royal Collection Trust

Designer Gareth Pugh talks 'In Fine Style' ahead of exhibition opening. - YouTube

I often wondered if any of the fireplaces at Buckingham Palace are still used?

Yes, they are still used by The Queen and members of her family. Many of the fireplaces at the royal residences are still used, especially when they are entertaining guest.

The Queen is known to use an electric heater on regular days though.

I really do wish BP would be opened to the public for more of the year - the tourist revenues could go directly towards the £30 million palace maintenance backlog - it has been deferred for long enough as it is.

Yes, they are still used by The Queen and members of her family. Many of the fireplaces at the royal residences are still used, especially when they are entertaining guest.

The Queen is known to use an electric heater on regular days though.

Thanks,I knew about the other Palaces but just thought with London being such a built up area that fireplaces at Buckingham Palace wouldn't be used.

I really do wish BP would be opened to the public for more of the year - the tourist revenues could go directly towards the £30 million palace maintenance backlog - it has been deferred for long enough as it is.

It wouldn't go directly to finance the repairs unless The Queen set up a separate fund with donations.

But the rooms that are open to the public are also used almost weekly and many times a week for official engagements so it isn't possible to open them to the public - unless they were to cut back the receptions etc in these rooms and that would disappoint the people who attend them.

So far in June the following people have held a function at BP - The Queen, Charles, Andrew, Edward and Anne in the form of Garden Parties, Dinners, Receptions (formal occasions where a lot of people are present), Lunches, Investitures, Meetings and Receiveds (usually where one or two people are 'received by' a royal). A quick count has BP used for the above functions by royals other than The Queen on 15 days out of 26 in June. These events would have to be moved elsewhere to accomodate opening the palace more often as well as the disruption to the family that live there which is not just The Queen and Philip but it is also the London base for Andrew, Edward and Anne.

ISnt the Queens Gallery and the Stables open nearly all year - or have I imagined that?

Ok, so call in a logistics and space planner to maximize tourist revenue while utilizing other parts of the building. Then let them plan needed renovations - again maximizing utility/revenue while minimizing loss space time. We have done so much of this in the states, we could do it in our sleep. Of course, we have far less heritage to honor. I'm being cheeky! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom