Buckingham Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's fortunate that they are found now and delt with while the gardens are not in as much regular use. The long term plan will be attractive.

Interesting article in the mail for once! The London plane tree is wonderful.

I'm sure HM wouldn't want a tree to fall on her guests. Not sure how the palace would explain that one away.:lol:

It is a shame though when any tree has to be cut down. It may also impact the screening around the palace garden now there are so many hideous tall buildings in the vicinity. The rot started with the Park Lane Hilton in 1963!

I will now correct myself.:lol: The rot started earlier.

In fact Queen Victoria had complained about the height of a block of flats called Queen Anne's Mansions way back in the 1870's. This & other complaints led to the first building height regulations in London.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. Some of the floor plans I haven't seen before. It includes a picture of the White Drawing Room at Windsor for some reason as well as referencing a black & white photo of GVI & QE as being in their private rooms when in fact it's the Blue Drawing Room at BP.

Indeed. Good to see the usual high standards of editing are being maintained!

It always made me wonder why the original palace didn't have a chapel to start with. Still, it was commissioned by George IV who probably wasn't the most observant of church goers. Did Carlton House have a chapel I wonder?

I'm not 100% sure but the chapels at St James and Queen's chapel were quite close to Carlton House.

There doesn't seem to be anything online about it all.

When the ceiling of the chapel at BP was raised by Pennethorne it did look odd & made the garden front asymetrical.

What a pity the photo is not in colour as the gold plate will look stunning.

Yes I wonder if anything was salvaged too. The painting looks like John the Baptist & Jesus but I don't know the artist or indeed if that is the scene for certain. Or maybe Jesus & Mary Magdalene? Or maybe the resurrection of Lazarus?

Last edited:
I think it could be Jesus & Saint Mary Magdalene or John The Baptist and Saint Elizabeth?

https://www.watercolourworld.org/painting/buckingham-palace-private-chapel-tww003bcc
It seems a baptismal scene, so I don't see how that would be related to Mary Magdalene. And are you thinking about John the Baptist's mother? I haven't see paintings with her at the river Jordan.

Durham's suggestion makes most sense to me; especially since there is a dove pictured, which is what is also described regarding Jesus' baptism.

It's a mystery. We will get to the bottom of it I'm sure.;)
I think you already solved the mystery yourself :flowers:. I cannot think of any other biblical scene that would fit what we see here.

Last edited:
The Palace chapel as depicted in the painting of the wedding of Princess Maud of Wales and Prince Carl of Denmark at the Palace chapel in July 1896.

584px-Marriage_of_Princess_Maud.jpg

What a lovely picture. ?

Having a look online I hadn't realised that the chapel was used so much for family events like christenings. I always knew that the Gloucesters were married there because of a change of plan following the sudden death of Alice Scott's father.

I still don't know who the artist of the huge painting is.:sad:

There seem to be a lot of other smaller painting too which surprised me as I as thought such images would e frowned upon as being too Catholic.

I get the impression that the present monarch is quite Low Church but maybe Victoria was more High Church in her beliefs & observances?

I get the impression that the present monarch is quite Low Church but maybe Victoria was more High Church in her beliefs & observances?

Quite the opposite. She disliked ritualism & bishops and preferred the austere Presbyterian service over the Church of England's.

Quite the opposite. She disliked ritualism & bishops and preferred the austere Presbyterian service over the Church of England's.

Thank you I didn't know that. What were her formative experiences I wonder. Her mother was a Lutheran I think?

Thank you I didn't know that. What were her formative experiences I wonder. Her mother was a Lutheran I think?

Yes, her mother was a Lutheran and so was dear Albert. It seems that as a whole the BRF leaned toward the Low Church, possibly because of the Lutheran influence (they almost all married German Lutherans).

Last edited:
Yes, her mother was a Lutheran and so was dear Albert. It seems that as a whole the BRF leaned toward the Low Church, possibly because of the Lutheran influence (they almost all married German Lutherans).

Charles is quite high church - but yes the rest are low, especially HMQ.

lol - I remember a tibit from the tabloids about the Queen Mother.
The QM said the Earl of Wessex was a bad Anglican during a engagement. And she was asked if the Earl was then an Atheist . The Queen Mother snooted and she no he is positively Methodist.

Does anyone know where the South Drawing Room is in Buckingham Palace?

I had thought it was the south west ground floor room :

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/G5RYDM/funeral-operations-centre-G5RYDM.jpg

but on closer inspection it definitely has a different fireplace to the room used for the interview.

On this ground floor plan the room above is called the dining room. It's possible that the room used for the interview is the one called the library between the dining room & the Council Room (now called the Bow Room).

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6c/67/b8/6c67b8ed5ae6aac4d2097097b6abe0e8.jpg

The only other logical location for a "south" drawing room would be in the Blore wing on one of the three principal floors overlooking Buckingham Palace Rd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom