The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Courtier

I wonder if Charles will do any remodeling or updating of Balmoral when he takes ownership. My guess is that he'll update as far as electrical capabilities, structural things and plumbing if needed, otherwise he'll have someone like Ben Pentreath or Annabel Elliott gently tweak the decor.

I would like to see the white paint stripped off the main stairwell banisters and returned to their original state. I'd also like Charles to commission more of that decorative soldier-print fabric that's on the library throw pillows. That fabric goes way back, and it's so pretty and lively.

Gosh, lookit me. You'd think I lived there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Now Charles leaves for Scotland on Boxing Day, correct? Or maybe Christmas Day evening?

So are you suggesting/saying that Charles would stay at Sandringham for more days once King? Maybe leaving for Balmoral on the 30th?

Does he go to Balmoral or to Birkhall now? If to Birkhall now, would he be obliged to go to Balmoral once King, or could he continue with Birkhall?

He goes to Birkhall, as Balmoral has only skeleton staff when HM isn't there. Plus, Birkhall has been assigned to him. Balmoral is HM's house.

Birkhall is special for him. If you post here frequently, you know why.

As King, he might be obliged to go to Balmoral. He might also take his age into account when he ascends, and let William deal with The Big House, and himself and Camilla stay at Birkhall.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Now Charles leaves for Scotland on Boxing Day, correct? Or maybe Christmas Day evening?

So are you suggesting/saying that Charles would stay at Sandringham for more days once King? Maybe leaving for Balmoral on the 30th?

Does he go to Balmoral or to Birkhall now? If to Birkhall now, would he be obliged to go to Balmoral once King, or could he continue with Birkhall?
I believe Camilla leaves Sandringham after Christmas Day lunch in order to spend the rest of the Xmas hols with her children and grandchildren. As far as I know Charles leaves for Birkhall at about the same time. (Occasionally however he participates in the shoots that begin on Boxing Day and have always been hosted by Prince Philip. William or Harry may host them in future years if Charles wants to go to Scotland.)

Of course if Charles III is hosting the Christmas get together at Sandringham he wouldn't be able to push off on Christmas Day. If he and Camilla continue the huge houseparties they would have to stay till at least the end of Boxing Day. Possibly Camilla's children and grandchildren may stay at Sandringham in future years.

Charles loves Birkhall. It's imbued for him with memories of his beloved grandmother. Whether he would consider it his duty to open up the Castle I don't know. But I can see Charles, Camilla and friends celebrating Hogmanay on New Years Eve and possibly family members might join them. Therefore they could well be up at Birkhall or Balmoral by the 27th December, getting ready.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
He goes to Birkhall, as Balmoral has only skeleton staff when HM isn't there. Plus, Birkhall has been assigned to him. Balmoral is HM's house.

Birkhall is special for him. If you post here frequently, you know why.

As King, he might be obliged to go to Balmoral. He might also take his age into account when he ascends, and let William deal with The Big House, and himself and Camilla stay at Birkhall.
That sounds sensible to me. I was thinking how cumbersome for him to start shifting houses at his age (whenever that is; he will be an older person with habits). Then William and Catherine and children can inhabit the larger Balmoral with their crowd, allowing the children to grow up accustomed to Balmoral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I believe Camilla leaves Sandringham after Christmas Day lunch in order to spend the rest of the Xmas hols with her children and grandchildren. As far as I know Charles leaves for Birkhall at about the same time. (Occasionally however he participates in the shoots that begin on Boxing Day and have always been hosted by Prince Philip. William or Harry may host them in future years if Charles wants to go to Scotland.)

Of course if Charles III is hosting the Christmas get together at Sandingham he wouldn't be able to push off on Christmas Day. If he and Camilla continue the huge houseparties they would have to stay till at least the end of Boxing Day. Possibly Camilla's children and grandchildren may stay at Sandringham in future years.

Charles loves Birkhall. It's imbued for him with memories of his beloved grandmother. Whether he would consider it his duty to open up the Castle I don't know. But I can see Charles, Camilla and friends celebrating Hogmanay on New Years Eve and possibly family members might join them. Therefore they could well be up at Birkhall or Balmoral by the 27th December, getting ready.
Sounds like a plan to me! Thank you for the insight, Curryong.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect there will be fewer people at Sandringham for Christmas when Charles is King for a number of reasons - one I don't see his siblings necessarily going (Andrew and the girls already spend less then 24 hours there as they go to Sarah for Christmas evening and Anne and her children also often take off early to go to their 'other half').

Obviously William and Harry will stay but that is all.

Charles prefers New Year in Scotland and I see that continuing so Sandringham may not even be used for Christmas as it seems a lot of work to open it up for a day or two for a small gathering. He may very well do Christmas back at Windsor before going to Scotland on Boxing Day.

Who knows ...
Old 12-09-2017, 12:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I suspect there will be fewer people at Sandringham for Christmas when Charles is King for a number of reasons - one I don't see his siblings necessarily going (Andrew and the girls already spend less then 24 hours there as they go to Sarah for Christmas evening and Anne and her children also often take off early to go to their 'other half').

Obviously William and Harry will stay but that is all.

Charles prefers New Year in Scotland and I see that continuing so Sandringham may not even be used for Christmas as it seems a lot of work to open it up for a day or two for a small gathering. He may very well do Christmas back at Windsor before going to Scotland on Boxing Day.

Who knows ...
I suppose this will have everything to do with whether the Queen passes before Philip, not so? I mean, if Philip passes before the Queen, everything stays as is, but if Philip is alive without the Queen, will things still change? Interesting family politics (in a way) if the latter is the case (maybe).

If they don't use Sandringham for Christmas, it looks like a place that will have no functional use anymore.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I suppose this will have everything to do with whether the Queen passes before Philip, not so? I mean, if Philip passes before the Queen, everything stays as is, but if Philip is alive without the Queen, will things still change? Interesting family politics (in a way) if the latter is the case (maybe).

If they don't use Sandringham for Christmas, it looks like a place that will have no functional use anymore.
Not if you like shooting, which most of the BRF do.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Charles and Camilla are there for a couple of weekends at other times of the year - e.g. Sandringham Flower Show - rather than Christmas.

It's main function though is to provide income to the royals and food for their tables rather than as a functioning home.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Charles and Camilla are there for a couple of weekends at other times of the year - e.g. Sandringham Flower Show - rather than Christmas.

It's main function though is to provide income to the royals and food for their tables rather than as a functioning home.
Okay, understood. Interesting.

We've wandered off-topic, I know, but just one (or two) more question: why did the Queen shift the Christmas celebrations from Windsor to Sandringham? Especially given that Windsor is suppose to be the Queen's favorite place to be?

And so along with that, why would Charles revert back to Windsor for Christmas?

I know it's been said that there is a distance issue regarding Balmoral, but I think Christmas at Balmoral would be the cat's meow!
Old 12-09-2017, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Windsor became too small for the entire family - Gloucester's, Kent's etc and so she decided to have a smaller gathering at Sandringham - with just her own immediate family - mother, sister, children and sister's children and then grandchildren.

Charles may very well decide that to open up the big house for a day or so when he prefers Scotland for New Year is too much but still want a family gathering somewhere - hence my suggestion of Windsor. I don't see either William or Harry wanting to go to Scotland in winter (they hardly ever go there in summer) so Windsor makes a good compromise venue.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't see Charles moving the family Christmas celebrations to Scotland but keeping them either at Sandringham or Windsor.

Charles does have a deep love for Scotland and Birkhall right now and its not solely because of the fond memories of his grandmother. Its a place he knows he can go to and shake off the pressures of the world and his roles and ramble in solitude in the hills and revel in actually being alone with himself. For a man like Charles, that is something that is priceless and there are few places where he can actually blow off the world, read and paint in total aloneness and forget about everything and everybody else. That's one that the Camilla very well understands about her man and she leaves him to it.

As far as the family goes, I do think it will be a lot smaller of a gathering. Its natural with family. Knowing that Charles is pretty much a traditionalist, I do think he'll keep up the practice of the extended family lunch at BP though.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

That 'traditional lunch' only came about when the Queen moved Christmas to Sandringham in the 1980s. Prior to that they were all at Windsor for Christmas so no need for an additional lunch.

I am not so sure he will keep up that idea at all if the reports are true that he wants a smaller royal family he knows that any sight of of a large family gathering will go against that concept.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
any sight of of a large family gathering will go against that concept.
I think everyone can make the distinction between a 'core' family and the 'extended' one, since we ALL have our own version !
Old 12-09-2017, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Exactly. For me, I see a Christmas gathering of "extended" family in the reign of Charles III as being Anne, Andrew and Edward and their families rather than the siblings heading to Sandringham or Windsor.

Whether or not the Kents, Gloucesters, Chattos and Linleys and such will be included is up in the air for me as I really don't know how close Charles is with them. These people have their own extended families by now. As their own families grow, their relationship to the monarch gets further and further away. Take Miss Maud Windsor for example (schoolmate of George). Her grandfather, Prince Michael of Kent is a grandson of George V making Maud a great great granddaughter of a monarch. That is extending the extended family quite a bit if you ask me. As time passes, those that actually have close relations to the monarch will thin out. This is what the Queen's longevity has done to extended family.

Charles' immediate family will the be smaller group to gather for the actual Christmas Eve dinner and the walk to church.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Balmoral Castle

Charles is actually very close to Margaret’s children. So I would expect the Snowdons and Chattos to keep going for Christmas like they do now which is every other year. At least until they get grandkids of their own

Also don’t lump William and Harry together. William and his family have visited the Queen in Balmoral every year since he got married. William also went up there especially for the Ghillies Ball this year. Harry isn’t the one that goes that much.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I think everyone can make the distinction between a 'core' family and the 'extended' one, since we ALL have our own version !
Exactly! The Family Christmas luncheon is really just a family reunion, like many families have. It is ignorant to equate it to anything else.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks like Christmas at Balmoral is a lost cause, unless Charles chucks it all and just goes up there.

Quote:
Windsor became too small for the entire family - Gloucester's, Kent's etc and so she decided to have a smaller gathering at Sandringham - with just her own immediate family - mother, sister, children and sister's children and then grandchildren.
Wait, Iluvbertie..........Windsor was too small, so she decides to have an even smaller gathering at Sandringham....? Have you mis-posted what you meant to say? I think so. Windsor became too small so she switched to Sandringham, which then included a 'traditional lunch' and a walk to church, and all this since the 1980's....so what did the public 'see' of the royal family at Christmas prior to the 1980's?

Quote:
Charles may very well decide that to open up the big house for a day or so when he prefers Scotland for New Year is too much but still want a family gathering somewhere - hence my suggestion of Windsor. I don't see either William or Harry wanting to go to Scotland in winter (they hardly ever go there in summer) so Windsor makes a good compromise venue.
So what would the public 'see' if Charles makes Windsor the Christmas venue?

Quote:
That 'traditional lunch' only came about when the Queen moved Christmas to Sandringham in the 1980s. Prior to that they were all at Windsor for Christmas so no need for an additional lunch.
So if Charles makes Windsor the venue there will be no lunch, no arrival at a lunch and all of that. No walk to church, too? Am I misunderstanding something?

Quote:
I am not so sure he will keep up that idea at all if the reports are true that he wants a smaller royal family he knows that any sight of of a large family gathering will go against that concept.
I understand what you are suggesting: that if Charles wants a smaller royal family, creating the impression of a large gathering goes against 'the optics' (curious phrase used here) of the impression Charles will be wanting to maintain. Fact is, most everyone seems to be scattering anyway, so the diminution is very organic.

In terms of distance, is Windsor the closest for everyone? Is Sandringham a bit of a drive for most people? And Balmoral is just out of the question? Is Balmoral a full day's train trip?

On the off chance Charles makes Balmoral the Christmas venue, what would the public then 'see'? Anything? A walk to the Kirche in a snowstorm? I would guess most guests would be overnight, too, and maybe it would be more discreet.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Majesty

Message Deleted.

The BRF traditionally spent their Christmases at Sandringham in George V and VI day. That had been so for over 30 years. They didn't have the Xmas walk in front of adoring members of the public in those earlier days though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stivities.html
But
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...al-family.html

There is no train to Balmoral. There is a train to Inverness (including a sleeper) then journey by car or alternatively, a flight to Inverness then a car drive, for most of the guests. It is a fairly isolated estate.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Family website says sixties were at Windsor then back to Sandringham in 1988

https://www.royal.uk/queen-christmas

Daily Mail being wrong. How not surprising.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Charles is actually very close to Margaret’s children. So I would expect the Snowdons and Chattos to keep going for Christmas like they do now which is every other year. At least until they get grandkids of their own

Also don’t lump William and Harry together. William and his family have visited the Queen in Balmoral every year since he got married. William also went up there especially for the Ghillies Ball this year. Harry isn’t the one that goes that much.
I didn't say they didn't go to Balmoral. I said they 'hardly' go. That implies that they do go but not for long and not often. A weekend or two at most whereas the Queen and Charles are there for months at a time. The young princes also don't go in winter whereas Charles is there from Christmas to well into the January.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Balmoral is very difficult to reach for members of the RF who wish to visit other "sides" of their family. It would work if Charles, Camilla, William Kate and Harry all went. Probably Camilla's Kate's and Meghan's families too as they could all stay up their for a few days with no need to travel anywhere. Otherwise Balmoral just makes it harder for everyone to go elsewhere. Also I imagine at Balmoral it is more likely they could get "snowed it" posing logistical difficulties. Sandringham gets enough snow.

As I understand it, Christmas' were spent at Windsor in the Queen's reign until the late 1980s when some restoration, rewiring work etc was done and so the whole family (Kents, Gloucesters etc) couldn't come so Sandringham was chosen as the new Christmas venue. At the same time the Queen starts hosting those royals not now invited for Christmas Day to a Christmas lunch at BP so they can still all spend time together before the holidays. The work at Windsor goes on for a long time as understandable for such a large Castle and leads to the 92 fire, so more work is needed and so Christmas continues at Sandringham becoming the now "traditional" venue.

« Buckingham Palace | - »