Balmoral Castle

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[] - the difference when William is King is that unlike the Queen and Philip William & Kate and their generation take holidays overseas. The Queen doesn't so Balmoral is the closest thing she gets to a holiday. Whilst William will likely have to move out of BP (if indeed he ever lives their full time) he could easily move around where they go to - Sandringham, Windsor etc and take holidays overseas. Whatever happens if the children are still in school when William is King the dates will have to change somewhat - the Queen arrives in August and stays until October I think whereas the school holidays are July-September (which is btw the midge season in Scotland)

Last edited by a moderator:
Little time there as possible- only 4 years at University and yearly Balmoral trips with his family since his marriage. Holyrood is open to the public too.

His trips to Balmoral have been for weekends only - one weekend a year - almost a duty visit and that is all.

We know this because they are often seen somewhere else within a few days of arriving in Scotland - pictures of them arriving there and then two or three days pictures of them somewhere else.

Having gone to university there doesn't mean he really likes the place - it was the university he gained the grades to enable him to get in on merit. He didn't want a repeat of his father and Uncle Edward, both of whom, went to Cambridge on their names and not on their marks.

I think once William is monarch and has absolute control of Balmoral he'll make extensive use of it for summer holidays, even if the big castle is a museum at that point. Privacy is a precious commodity for him and Balmoral provides that.

:previous: But so does the vast estate at Sandringham. There's no evidence really that either William or Kate are in love with Balmoral, Birkhall or the Scottish climate. In fact, as Pippa's husband James manages a fairly isolated hotel complex up in the Highlands, they might go there sometimes instead if they choose to holiday in Scotland for any length of time, always supposing that the Matthews family still owns the estate then.

Last edited:
It would be nice for William to spend more time at Balmoral, cooking, riding horses, wearing kilts.

I supposed that William is different than his father and grandparents.

The Cambridges just spent time at Balmoral a couple of weeks ago. William just finished with the air ambulance at the end of July. They had to get George ready to start school and make the move to KP from Norfolk. George starts school on Thursday. They can't really spend couple of months in Balmoral like the Queen and Prince of Wales do.

No one really spends a 'couple of months' at Balmoral other than The Queen, Philip and Charles.

The rest go up for a few days, a week or something and then go away again. Sometimes they may go up two or three times during the Queen's stay there but they don't stay there for the entire time as they have their own lives to live.

I believe Anne stays there as well.

Balmoral looks like a nice, peaceful haven to vacation.

Balmoral really is a picturesque and blessedly secluded place for the HM to retreat to for a few months out of the year to just breathe, walk in the wild with her corgis and have the family dropping by here and there for a family BBQ.

Its not all that much really of a relaxed, unstructured vacation though as from what I understand, Balmoral always runs on a pretty strict time schedule. They change clothes for just about everything on the schedule for that day. Its not only the Queen's family that comes to visit but also the Prime Minister and spouse come for a weekend or so along with friends that the Queen invites.

Perfect Christmas card material,it looks just stunning.

Thank you Eya for showing this. Winter wonder land in full view, how beautiful it is and so perfect it seems in a world of chaos. What a serene place to go when wanting peace and quiet.:flowers:

So pretty, and one imagines cozy in front of a crackling fire with hot cocoa. ;) Just like all the comments (in the video) are saying. What intrigues me is that of all the royal family it is only Charles who clearly has a love of Scotland in the winter. He heads directly up there after Christmas Day with the Queen at Sandringham.

Has this been discussed? Likely somewhere, but do we assume that when Charles is King he may actually spend both Christmas and New Year's at Balmoral? It seems to be where he prefers to be at this season of the year since he wastes no time getting there after the (obligatory) Christmas spent with the Queen at Sandringham. :flowers:

P.S. Love that one can hear the pinging of the snow/ice pellets in the video.

IMO it's probably likely that Charles will keep up his mother's traditions of a Sandringham Christmas simply because of the number of family members who stay there from Christmas Eve onwards. It's quite a journey to get to and fro from Balmoral/Birkhall, especially if it snows and it would be inconvenient for staff and guests. I can see Charles spending Hogmanay at Balmoral though.

IMO it's probably likely that Charles will keep up his mother's traditions of a Sandringham Christmas simply because of the number of family members who stay there from Christmas Eve onwards. It's quite a journey to get to and fro from Balmoral/Birkhall, especially if it snows and it would be inconvenient for staff and guests. I can see Charles spending Hogmanay at Balmoral though.

Now Charles leaves for Scotland on Boxing Day, correct? :ermm: Or maybe Christmas Day evening?

So are you suggesting/saying that Charles would stay at Sandringham for more days once King? Maybe leaving for Balmoral on the 30th?

Does he go to Balmoral or to Birkhall now? If to Birkhall now, would he be obliged to go to Balmoral once King, or could he continue with Birkhall? :flowers:

I wonder if Charles will do any remodeling or updating of Balmoral when he takes ownership. My guess is that he'll update as far as electrical capabilities, structural things and plumbing if needed, otherwise he'll have someone like Ben Pentreath or Annabel Elliott gently tweak the decor.

I would like to see the white paint stripped off the main stairwell banisters and returned to their original state. I'd also like Charles to commission more of that decorative soldier-print fabric that's on the library throw pillows. That fabric goes way back, and it's so pretty and lively.

Gosh, lookit me. You'd think I lived there!

Now Charles leaves for Scotland on Boxing Day, correct? :ermm: Or maybe Christmas Day evening?

So are you suggesting/saying that Charles would stay at Sandringham for more days once King? Maybe leaving for Balmoral on the 30th?

Does he go to Balmoral or to Birkhall now? If to Birkhall now, would he be obliged to go to Balmoral once King, or could he continue with Birkhall? :flowers:

He goes to Birkhall, as Balmoral has only skeleton staff when HM isn't there. Plus, Birkhall has been assigned to him. Balmoral is HM's house.

Birkhall is special for him. If you post here frequently, you know why.

As King, he might be obliged to go to Balmoral. He might also take his age into account when he ascends, and let William deal with The Big House, and himself and Camilla stay at Birkhall.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe Camilla leaves Sandringham after Christmas Day lunch in order to spend the rest of the Xmas hols with her children and grandchildren. As far as I know Charles leaves for Birkhall at about the same time. (Occasionally however he participates in the shoots that begin on Boxing Day and have always been hosted by Prince Philip. William or Harry may host them in future years if Charles wants to go to Scotland.)

Of course if Charles III is hosting the Christmas get together at Sandringham he wouldn't be able to push off on Christmas Day. If he and Camilla continue the huge houseparties they would have to stay till at least the end of Boxing Day. Possibly Camilla's children and grandchildren may stay at Sandringham in future years.

Charles loves Birkhall. It's imbued for him with memories of his beloved grandmother. Whether he would consider it his duty to open up the Castle I don't know. But I can see Charles, Camilla and friends celebrating Hogmanay on New Years Eve and possibly family members might join them. Therefore they could well be up at Birkhall or Balmoral by the 27th December, getting ready.

Last edited:
He goes to Birkhall, as Balmoral has only skeleton staff when HM isn't there. Plus, Birkhall has been assigned to him. Balmoral is HM's house.

Birkhall is special for him. If you post here frequently, you know why.

As King, he might be obliged to go to Balmoral. He might also take his age into account when he ascends, and let William deal with The Big House, and himself and Camilla stay at Birkhall.

That sounds sensible to me. :flowers: I was thinking how cumbersome for him to start shifting houses at his age (whenever that is; he will be an older person with habits). Then William and Catherine and children can inhabit the larger Balmoral with their crowd, allowing the children to grow up accustomed to Balmoral.

I believe Camilla leaves Sandringham after Christmas Day lunch in order to spend the rest of the Xmas hols with her children and grandchildren. As far as I know Charles leaves for Birkhall at about the same time. (Occasionally however he participates in the shoots that begin on Boxing Day and have always been hosted by Prince Philip. William or Harry may host them in future years if Charles wants to go to Scotland.)

Of course if Charles III is hosting the Christmas get together at Sandingham he wouldn't be able to push off on Christmas Day. If he and Camilla continue the huge houseparties they would have to stay till at least the end of Boxing Day. Possibly Camilla's children and grandchildren may stay at Sandringham in future years.

Charles loves Birkhall. It's imbued for him with memories of his beloved grandmother. Whether he would consider it his duty to open up the Castle I don't know. But I can see Charles, Camilla and friends celebrating Hogmanay on New Years Eve and possibly family members might join them. Therefore they could well be up at Birkhall or Balmoral by the 27th December, getting ready.

Sounds like a plan to me! :flowers: Thank you for the insight, Curryong.

I suspect there will be fewer people at Sandringham for Christmas when Charles is King for a number of reasons - one I don't see his siblings necessarily going (Andrew and the girls already spend less then 24 hours there as they go to Sarah for Christmas evening and Anne and her children also often take off early to go to their 'other half').

Obviously William and Harry will stay but that is all.

Charles prefers New Year in Scotland and I see that continuing so Sandringham may not even be used for Christmas as it seems a lot of work to open it up for a day or two for a small gathering. He may very well do Christmas back at Windsor before going to Scotland on Boxing Day.

Who knows ...

I suspect there will be fewer people at Sandringham for Christmas when Charles is King for a number of reasons - one I don't see his siblings necessarily going (Andrew and the girls already spend less then 24 hours there as they go to Sarah for Christmas evening and Anne and her children also often take off early to go to their 'other half').

Obviously William and Harry will stay but that is all.

Charles prefers New Year in Scotland and I see that continuing so Sandringham may not even be used for Christmas as it seems a lot of work to open it up for a day or two for a small gathering. He may very well do Christmas back at Windsor before going to Scotland on Boxing Day.

Who knows ...

I suppose this will have everything to do with whether the Queen passes before Philip, not so? I mean, if Philip passes before the Queen, everything stays as is, but if Philip is alive without the Queen, will things still change? Interesting family politics (in a way) if the latter is the case (maybe). :ermm:

If they don't use Sandringham for Christmas, it looks like a place that will have no functional use anymore.

Last edited:
I suppose this will have everything to do with whether the Queen passes before Philip, not so? I mean, if Philip passes before the Queen, everything stays as is, but if Philip is alive without the Queen, will things still change? Interesting family politics (in a way) if the latter is the case (maybe). :ermm:

If they don't use Sandringham for Christmas, it looks like a place that will have no functional use anymore.

Not if you like shooting, which most of the BRF do.

Charles and Camilla are there for a couple of weekends at other times of the year - e.g. Sandringham Flower Show - rather than Christmas.

It's main function though is to provide income to the royals and food for their tables rather than as a functioning home.

Charles and Camilla are there for a couple of weekends at other times of the year - e.g. Sandringham Flower Show - rather than Christmas.

It's main function though is to provide income to the royals and food for their tables rather than as a functioning home.

Okay, understood. Interesting. :flowers:

We've wandered off-topic, I know, but just one (or two) more question: why did the Queen shift the Christmas celebrations from Windsor to Sandringham? :huh: Especially given that Windsor is suppose to be the Queen's favorite place to be?

And so along with that, why would Charles revert back to Windsor for Christmas?

I know it's been said that there is a distance issue regarding Balmoral, but I think Christmas at Balmoral would be the cat's meow! :flowers:

Windsor became too small for the entire family - Gloucester's, Kent's etc and so she decided to have a smaller gathering at Sandringham - with just her own immediate family - mother, sister, children and sister's children and then grandchildren.

Charles may very well decide that to open up the big house for a day or so when he prefers Scotland for New Year is too much but still want a family gathering somewhere - hence my suggestion of Windsor. I don't see either William or Harry wanting to go to Scotland in winter (they hardly ever go there in summer) so Windsor makes a good compromise venue.

I don't see Charles moving the family Christmas celebrations to Scotland but keeping them either at Sandringham or Windsor.

Charles does have a deep love for Scotland and Birkhall right now and its not solely because of the fond memories of his grandmother. Its a place he knows he can go to and shake off the pressures of the world and his roles and ramble in solitude in the hills and revel in actually being alone with himself. For a man like Charles, that is something that is priceless and there are few places where he can actually blow off the world, read and paint in total aloneness and forget about everything and everybody else. That's one that the Camilla very well understands about her man and she leaves him to it.

As far as the family goes, I do think it will be a lot smaller of a gathering. Its natural with family. Knowing that Charles is pretty much a traditionalist, I do think he'll keep up the practice of the extended family lunch at BP though.

Back
Top Bottom