Bagshot Park

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRHAmy

Courtier
Does anybody have pictures of the Earl and Countess of Wessex's House?

Thank you so much Australian! I just love it, it's very lovely!:)

I was wondering, didn't Bagshot Park originally belong to the Duke of Connaught? Did his daughter and Swedish heirs sell it to HM The Queen afterwards?

I am wondering, are the Earl and Countess of Wessex using the entire building for themselves? If so they have a bigger house than any of the European crownprinces and even some monarchs probably.

I don't think it belonged to him. It would have been a "Grace & Favour" residence. Once he died & his family no longer wanted to live there it would have reverted to the crown estates. It was leased for a considerable number of years to the Army Chaplains department and then was vacant until Sophie & Edward took it over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wymanda, isn't it constantly part of the crown estate? I ask because you said it would have "reverted" after the Duke's death. But how can it revert when it is always owned by the Crown? Either way, I believe you are right that for the Duke it was grace and favor. And also now it is the grace and favor residence of the Wessex. I understand Prince Edward has to pay a very small rent to the Crown Estate. It is a big residence like Marengo said. I think it's so big because it has been added and piled onto many times, giving it its sort of hodge podge look.

.... but its strill a very large house for a minor royal to have and maintain. Its lucky "mummy" helps with the running costs.

Bagshot Park is wonderful residance. Nice pics.
Where do live Camilla and Charles?

.... but its strill a very large house for a minor royal to have and maintain. Its lucky "mummy" helps with the running costs.
Yes, the Crown Estate is a nice organization to have batting for you. :D

He specifically wanted to live there for some reason. Overall, Prince Edward does not seem to be a demanding person. He does his duties and is paid for it. If he wants the house, let him have the house. His mother can afford to let him live in that house, and he's got to live somewhere. BP doesn't seem much like a home, more like, as Prince Philip? said, "over the shop"? With a family, he needs more than his office building for his home.

Last edited:
Actually when he brought the house in 1997. There was another debate entirely. Edward was not looking for a house he was looking for an apartment. The Queen Mother who knew and had often visited Bagshot Park spoke to him about it. She had looked the house and she had attempted to buy the house herself in the 1960's, but the crown estates gave it to the army.
Anyway she was horrified about the state the army had let the house fall into. It was in such a state of affairs that British Heritage believed it would be too expensive to preserve. The army had already declared their intend to move out of Bagshot Park and as per their agreement lease restored it to a condition that was workable.

It must be noted that the Bagshot Park estate is part of the houses that is deemed sensitive and therefore can never be put up for market in the convential way. If Edward had not taken it it would still probably still be standing empty. Or another government or military deptment would have moved in and still be paying subsidised rent.

Bagshot Park, like most of the royal residences, is owned by the Crown Estate and leased to its occupant under long-term agreements. Prince Edward and Prince Andrew both assumed new 99-year leases on Bagshot Park and Royal Lodge with the Crown Estate. Presumbly, The Queen paid for the renovations and probably the cost of the leases since neither Edward nor Andrew are particularly wealthy.

Clarence House is also owned by the Crown Estate and leased to Prince Charles. He pays for the cost himself out of his own private monies.

Claire, thanks for filling us in on some of the background on Baghshot Park. I wonder whether it's possible that some or many of the rooms aren't in use and so aren't heated or don't cost a lot to maintain.:)

Wonder if the kids like seems a bit bland child wise

It sure is a shame there are no pictures of the inside of the house.

Thanks for filling us in on some of the background on Baghshot Park. I wonder whether it's possible that some or many of the rooms aren't in use and so aren't heated or don't cost a lot to maintain.:)

What a waste! Wonder what prompted Edward and Sophie to choose the house? Just bad judgement, IMO!

They dont use the entire mansion. They have kept a few rooms for themselves and rented out the rest to a drug company. That rent provides for the lease amount they pay to Crown Estate..

I just wonder how this is not a nightmare on both parts. Royal security has to deal with people moving around the place, and the company has to deal with royal security.

I just wonder how this is not a nightmare on both parts. Royal security has to deal with people moving around the place, and the company has to deal with royal security.

What company?

They dont use the entire mansion. They have kept a few rooms for themselves and rented out the rest to a drug company. That rent provides for the lease amount they pay to Crown Estate..

this company from post #19

Id be very surprised if that is part of the main house; stable blocks are normally separate.

The drug company was separate from the main house. The estate itself is very large, so perhaps there are stables somewhere on the grounds.

The drug company was separate from the main house. The estate itself is very large, so perhaps there are stables somewhere on the grounds.

Google Bagshot Park go to maps and look at it - you can see the separate blok behind the house.

It is huge, it's mad. It makes sense for them to not use the entire building as it's way too big for them. My friend lives in Bagshot at the walls surrounding the estate go on for quite a long time. It's a huge place.

I think they run their office from there as well. They use it for meetings and receptions. Far better that it is lived in, even partially, than left empty. Good security and lots of places to play and ride for the children. Lovely place to grow up.

Yes, I believe they use it as their office, as well as Buckingham Palace. It is a beautiful mansion and the architecture of it is stunning. People complain that is too big for them, but they don't realise that they don't use all of the house. Only part of it. It is a great place to play, imagine hide and seek in that house!

Am I right in thinking the Queen bought Anne and Andrew houses (in their own right) when they married, whereas Edward has only been given the lease of a house?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom