William and Harry's TV Interviews about Diana: June 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Well, their mother wanted them to be "normal", there you go. I'm almost ready to believe they have consciously gotten into the habit of sloppy speech in order to keep themselves from seeming "royal". What a shame

Somehow I knew Diana would eventually get the blame for this :bang: . Perhaps they were uncomfortable even after all these years speaking about the subject. I have found that when they pose for photographs with their father and are asked questions they speak quite properly.

Lily

Well, what I find funny is that we constantly hear, "Di brought up those boys single-handed" and "Di loved those boys and brought them up so well", yet when they do things that show them to be dangerously close to being chinless wonders, it's nobodies fault. We can't have it both ways.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
I look at it this way - Princess Alice lost her son and her husband within a few years of each other. When asked how she felt? "Misfortunes happen to other people, one just get's on with it" - William and Harry need to get on with it, as does the world press. It's over, it's done and the future awaits.

Well, I hope that they truly never get over it! How does one really ever get over losing a love one. You do go on with life, but to say "it over, it done,the future awaits " is just wrong. My Grandmother died 13 years ago and I still think of her each day. I do think that the world press should let Diana rest in peace, but I hope her boys never forget!

I think that Beatrixfan makes a fair enough comparison to Princess Alice. After all, Prince William of Gloucester was only 30 (actually, not even, but almost, I believe) when his mother lost him, and Diana was 36.
Princess Alice never sought the world's pity. She never sought to steal anyone's limelight. She lived and worked quietly, "got on with it" with dignity.
That is truly honorable.

CasiraghiTrio said:
After all, Prince William of Gloucester was only 30 (actually, not even, but almost, I believe) when his mother lost him, and Diana was 36.
Princess Alice never sought the world's pity. She never sought to steal anyone's limelight. She lived and worked quietly, "got on with it" with dignity.
That is truly honorable.
Hear. hear, that's exactly what you do. Very many people have suffered greater losses and got on with living their life. :flowers:
Of course people grieve in different ways, but there is nothing honourable in making a meal out of it.

I believe that people who knew Princess Alice have said that she was never the same after her son died; however, she didn't become paralysed by grief in the way Queen Victoria did after Prince Albert died, but just picked herself up and soldiered on. Unfortunately these days, that would be seen as evidence that she was a cold, unfeeling woman who didn't really love her son.

I think they probably didn't prepare with CH aids and plus they were try too hard speak like normal guys of their age which ended up coming off badly.

Elspeth said:
I believe that people who knew Princess Alice have said that she was never the same after her son died; however, she didn't become paralysed by grief in the way Queen Victoria did after Prince Albert died, but just picked herself up and soldiered on.
What are getting at?

Read the rest of my post, and you'll see.

there is nothing honourable in making a meal out of it.

A meal? We're currently being treated to a chain of gourmet restaurants, each one feeding on the rotting carcass that is the Diana press machine. And today we had yet another boring interview with William and Harry spewing out the same old phrases. BORING. It's very very boring. If this is the future of the monarchy then let me just say I'll be voting Patti LuPone for our first President.

My point is Harry was a child when she died, William a young adult. I believe William met with the Queen often and perhaps still does to study Royal whatever. I would think due to their age when she died any study of public speaking would have been taught after her demise. Hard to find her at fault that she wanted them to be brought up more normal than royals before them when she hasn't been here for the last 10 years!

Lily

Elspeth said:
I believe that people who knew Princess Alice have said that she was never the same after her son died; however, she didn't become paralysed by grief in the way Queen Victoria did after Prince Albert died, but just picked herself up and soldiered on. Unfortunately these days, that would be seen as evidence that she was a cold, unfeeling woman who didn't really love her son.

I like this part especially: "....just picked herself up and soldiered on...." That is so true. That is what it takes when one has such a loss. For everyone. You truly have to fight like a soldier to get up everyday and keep going. I think William and Harry are doing a good job (or seem to be) of soldiering on as well. Maybe they can do better, and maybe they will do better as they mature. They have a lot to wrap their heads around. I don't envy them having such a circumstance. One thing that was probably very helpful to Princess Alice was that she didn't have magazines and booksellers printing crap about her husband and son for a decade after they died. I think the media and people like Tina Brown do much more harm than good by rehashing all these scandalous troubles in order to make money from recycled laundry. It's sickening.

Except for an interview like this, I can't remember William and Harry constantly brining up their mother as an excuse for anything. In fact, they, especially William, are usually criticized because they don't speak about their mother. Many say that William just hasn't gotten over it because he doesn't speak about it.

I think they have moved on. Everywhere they turn there are still people trying to profit from her life and her death. I lost count of the number of books available on Amazon this year alone. She still sells magazines and books. I don't think it is her children who haven't moved on, it is the media who wants to continue to profit and people filing lawsuits because they can't except that that they died.

Of course they are going to mention her in this interview. The interview is to generate interest in the concert. She would be the obvious topic. What a natural question?

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference. Princess Alice said it and did it. William and Harry seem to say it alot but then wheel the Di stuff out again.

BeatrixFan said:
Of course one can compare the tragedies. Princess Alice got on with it, there's no reason the two Princes shouldn't follow her example.
People deal with their grief in different ways BeatrixFan. I think William and Harry moved on but that doesen't mean that they have to stop honoring and cherishing their mother's memory because certain people don't like her. They set up a concert and memorial service to remember Diana's life there is nothing wrong with that.

BeatrixFan said:
There's a difference. Princess Alice said it and did it. William and Harry seem to say it alot but then wheel the Di stuff out again.

How do you know HRH Princess Alice never did it? Just because she doesn't warrant attention in the media does not mean it never happenned. Why don't you just turn off your TV, disregard those magazines and newspapers, keep away from those internet sites whenever they report about Princess Diana's 10th (death) anniversary and her sons' dedication to her?
I see their tribute as fitting because it is something they have decided to do themselves to honour the memory of their mother. Their father does not object so why should we?

People are entitled to express opinions both in favour of and in opposition to the princes' involvement in these commemorations. As long as our posters bear in mind our requirements to not let criticism turn into outright insult and to treat other posters with respect, there's no reason why we can't all express our opinions.

I think Princess Alice's experience and Prince William and Prince Harry's experience are fairly different. Princess Alice was an older woman with many years of training and experience in public service, and in the early 1970s the Gloucesters were becoming junior members of the royal family so there wasn't as much media interest. On the other hand, the princes were youngsters when their mother - a media icon - died, and Diana was a great meal ticket for the media, who are extracting whatever they can during what may be the last opportunity to make real money out of her. Having said that, apart from a short mention in her autobiography it doesn't seem as though Princess Alice talked about her son's death and her feelings about it in public, so I think it's probably fair to say that she really did just grit her teeth and get on with it, at least as far as her interaction with the public was concerned.

Last edited:
Lily97 said:
My point is Harry was a child when she died, William a young adult. I believe William met with the Queen often and perhaps still does to study Royal whatever. I would think due to their age when she died any study of public speaking would have been taught after her demise. Hard to find her at fault that she wanted them to be brought up more normal than royals before them when she hasn't been here for the last 10 years!

Lily

I'm sure Diana did her best for her boys while she was alive, and I'm also sure that Charles and the RF have done their best since then. But regardless of how well they were brought up, these two young men didn't spring from parents who are known as untra-intelligent or quick witted or gifted public speakers. They may be charming young men, but they may also be dim.

I look forward to seeing the interview next week.

I have to wonder what they mean by reminding people of the 'amazing things' she did. It is a pop/has been concert for those who were/are Diana fans and believe she could walk on water anyway, a few youngsters who have very little idea of who she was but are going in the hope of seeing/meeting William and Harry. Coupled with fans of Duran Duran, Elton and the various other acts. ;)

LOSSEAN said:
I see their tribute as fitting because it is something they have decided to do themselves to honour the memory of their mother. Their father does not object so why should we?

When I read this posting I first read it the wrong way and said to myself: now that is exactly the way Isee it: the princes do the concert "for" themselves. Of course, I know that you didn't mean it that way but that is my impression: that the princes want to conmemorate their mother in a way she would have liked, as a final gift to "mommy" and to, well, it's not really enjoying, is it, but to share their grief again with an audience of people who adored her.

There's nothing wrong in that. But I simply doubt that these young men did it out of altruistic motives alone, I believe there is an element of leaving a period of mourning as children and enter a life as motherless adults. Sure, they loved her and love her still, but even if she had been alive, she would not longer be the most important influence for them and that's something they feel, IMHO, and have to deal with it. Hence the big party for her on the 10th anniversary of her death and not a celebration of her 50th. birthday.... Because it marks a period who is important for them, but not really for her.

BeatrixFan said:
Well, what I find funny is that we constantly hear, "Di brought up those boys single-handed" and "Di loved those boys and brought them up so well", yet when they do things that show them to be dangerously close to being chinless wonders, it's nobodies fault. We can't have it both ways.

Fine. But, it isn't ALL Diana's fault, either. Their father raised them, too.

It is not Charles, Camillas or Diana's fault - these boys had nannies, governesses and teachers they spent more time with and who basically brought them up and have shaped the way they speak. :flowers:

sassie said:
Fine. But, it isn't ALL Diana's fault, either. Their father raised them, too.

sassie,

In the past, some members have pointedly and repeatedly ascribed every positive characteristic of the boys to Diana and every negative characteristic that the boys displayed to Charles' influence and the royal family's influence. Its happened with some members giving the blame to Diana for everything the boys do wrong although not as much and I don't think that's happening here.

Overall in the past year or so we've seen it less and less because members got sick of William and Harry being used as examples to prove the point that either Diana was the best or Charles was the best.

But with the 10th anniversary of Diana's passing coming so soon, a lot of emotions are coming up from the time when Diana died and when the marriage was at its worst.

I think when Diana's death has been noted, one would hope that William and Harry are getting their own reputation and are moving away from being seen as a reflection of one or both of their parents.

But they did inherit some things from their parents so its natural to talk about them. But when the words become pitched battles between Diana and Charles supporters as to which one is best (and I don't think that is what Janet intended) that's when members get uncomfortable.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with the boys doing a concert. Do people really think that these boys should just forget about their mother. Why do we have a right to remember our love ones and they don't? If you do not like Diana, then fine. It seems from the post here that many of you would like for them to never think of her, never talk about her, just forget her and move on. Does one ever just move on? You may go on with life, but this does not mean you forget about the past. I think that people should put their personal feeling aside and remember that this is William and Harry mother. She will always be their mother!!! Going on with life has nothing to do with it.

ysbel said:
sassie,

But they did inherit some things from their parents so its natural to talk about them. But when the words become pitched battles between Diana and Charles supporters as to which one is best (and I don't think that is what Janet intended) that's when members get uncomfortable.

I didn't think that was what Janet intended, either. From my original post on the subject, I wasn't attempting to assign blame to either Charles or Diana-or anyone else, for that matter-I was merely commenting that William's quoted remark appeared inarticulate.

The post you quoted was a response to Beatrix Fan's usual attempt to play the "blame game", which also makes members uncomfortable. I don't know why you chose to single out my comment, but, in any case, I'll stop commenting. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom