What languages do the British Royals know?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They work on an international stage and expect others to learn a different language so they can communicate with them, so showing the same dedication to learning a different language shows respect and appreciation for the efforts others have made to be able to communicate with you. Moreover, you will get deeper knowledge of other cultures and understand non-native speakers better when you went through the same process.

So which languages would you like them to be fluent in?

So which languages would you like them to be fluent in?

Anyone of the major languages. I am sure they can pick one or more themselves. French would be the most obvious choice given that it's an official language in Canada but they can add other languages as well :flowers:

Learning another language is never a wasted skill! I'm swedish, and I'm proud to say that we have a queen who can speak several different languages. Would she have been able to do her royal duties even if she only spoke swedish? Yes. But not as eloquent and impressive.

I think it's a pity that people who speak english as their first language very rarely bother to learn other languages. It's not just about the language itself. You learn about other cultures and traditions, and you are able to get at better understanding about other peoples situation.

Silvia Sommerlath was probably bilingual from the start: father - German, mother - Brazilian.
And she lived in Brazil for several years.

So, Swedish, German, Portuguese and possibly English.

Silvia Sommerlath was probably bilingual from the start: father - German, mother - Brazilian.
And she lived in Brazil for several years.

While she has been bilingual from the start, that hasn't stopped her from picking up other languages. Beyond the obvious Swedish, she also speaks Spanish and French. And has learned Swedish sign language.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom