Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Alexander is a working member of the royal family - Prince Michael is not.

I didn't realize that the Duke of Kent had been down at Horse Guards too. On one of the live streams, I saw a car with royal badges on the grill overtaking the Royal Horse Artillery, before the carriage procession back to the Palace, so it must have been him.

Last edited:
Comments on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been deleted. As said on the page #107, they can only be discussed in their own thread in the Sussex forum.

Last edited:
It was heartening to see The Duke of Kent on the balcony with HM to review the march past of the Household Division. The duke is a great exemplar of how the monarch's relatives can support the crown. And by extension the British nation. Good on him!

It would be nice if the media could focus more on those members of the rf like the DofK who have the respect of the British people.

Last edited:
Two observations:
The Earl of Wessex is in a scarlet tunic. Either the London Regiment has a new uniform or he was very recently (too late to practice riding) made the new colonel of the Grenadier Guards.
I've never seen collars worn at the birthday parade. I'm not sure if it's because of the Jubilee (which was a collar event in 1977 and 2002) or if it's because it's Coronation Day.

I think the London regiment has been dissolved and now part of another group that has this uniform. Happened over covid - so this is the first time he has worn it.

It was heartening to see The Duke of Kent on the balcony with HM. The duke is a great exemplar of how the monarch's relatives can support the crown.

Always a wonderful support to the queen like his sister Princess Alexandra :previous:

Thank you to all who have posted photos and videos of today's glorious Trooping the Color! :flowers: Wonderful to see the Cambridge children joining in their first carriage procession as they rode with their mother and step-grandmother. ? The weather seems to have cooperated and the crowds appeared to have been large and enthusiastic. Great to see HM and her cousin the Duke of Kent taking the salute from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

I think the parade lacked a certain oomph with Her Majesty absent. Nevertheless, it was a joy to see her on the balcony. I also like that the Duke of Kent has been given a more prominent role in recent years.

I prefer this ”reduced” balcony appearance. Hopefully they will stick to that in years to come.

I wish they had used the “reduced” adults on the balcony but allowed the rest of the Queen’s great grandchildren to be there. It was such a once in a lifetime occasion it seems a shame that they were inside somewhere.

First carriage is; The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Cambridge and Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.

Second carriage is; The Earl and Countess of Wessex with Lady Louise and Viscount Severn.

Third carriage is; The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Admiral Tim Laurence.

It was lovely to see Prince Louis - is this his first official engagement?

I think the parade lacked a certain oomph with Her Majesty absent. Nevertheless, it was a joy to see her on the balcony. I also like that the Duke of Kent has been given a more prominent role in recent years.

I prefer this ”reduced” balcony appearance. Hopefully they will stick to that in years to come.

I agree. HM was sorely missed on Horse Guards itself so it wasn't quite the same.

But it was lovely that she was able to take the salute from BP. The balcony is a great asset.

And yes it was nice to be able to actually see people clearly without the crowding of earlier years. Trying to include all the male line descendents of George V is just not viable really.

Last edited:
Is there a definitive list of the members of the Royal Family who were at the Trooping of the Colour?

I had to laugh when Charlotte smacked Louis on the hand because he was waving too much. Poor little Louis! And how absolutely lovely to see the Queen bending down to talk to Louis on the balcony, and point out the flypast.

Is there a definitive list of the members of the Royal Family who were at the Trooping of the Colour?

I would love to know too and what they all wore. It was probably pointless for the ladies who were not on the balcony to wear hats as the rest of it was all inside but it seems they did. I noticed as well that Andrew's daughters lost out on a carriage this year as it was only the balcony people in them (except Alexandra, I wonder why she didn't sit beside Tim).

I agree. HM was sorely missed on Horse Guards itself so it wasn't quite the same.

But it was lovely that she was able to take the salute from BP. The balcony is a great asset.

And yes it was nice to be able to actually see people clearly without the crowding of earlier years. Trying to include all the male line descendents of George V is just not viable really.

It was designed for the exact purpose of being able to greet cheering crowds and does it's job well.

All working royals on the balcony plus young children worked well and filled out the place more than I thought it would, although I do still like seeing a lot of the extended family, even though it isn't very practical.

I'm glad the Kents and Gloucesters were on it.

The Duke of Kent wasn't in a carriage either I think (?). Brother & sister could have travelled in a fourth carriage. There's quite a few semis state laundaus but maybe there are only three barouches?

Last edited:
It was designed for the exact purpose of being able to greet cheering crowds and does it's job well.

All working royals on the balcony plus young children worked well and filled out the place more than I thought it would, although I do still like seeing a lot of the extended family, even though it isn't very practical.

I'm glad the Kents and Gloucesters were on it.

I initially thought that with a smaller group of royals on the balcony that it might look sparse, but I was pleased to see that it looked filled with that line up.

The Duke of Kent wasn't in a carriage either I think (?). Brother & sister could have travelled in a fourth carriage. There's quite a few semis state laundaus but maybe there are only three barouches?

I think the Duke of Kent left Horse Guards a bit earlier as he was joining the Queen on the balcony for when she took the salute and that's why he wasn't in a carriage but there was room for Alexandra in the third one.

The Duke of Kent is wearing the sash of the Order of St Michael and St George, though it seems to be on the wrong shoulder. I suppose it's probably been 20 years since the last collar event where he would have needed it.

I believe I had never seen a member of the current Royal Family wearing the Order of St Michael and St George before. I think none of the Queen's children or grandchildren are members of the order, and I don't think the Duke of Edinburgh was a member either.

What a lovely day.

While it’s nice seeing the extended royal family, I actually prefer the scaled down balcony with only the working royals.

I believe I had never seen a member of the current Royal Family wearing the Order of St Michael and St George before. I think none of the Queen's children or grandchildren are members of the order, and I don't think the Duke of Edinburgh was a member either.

I think the Order of St. Michael and St. George is for foreign diplomats, ambassadors etc so the Duke is the only family member who has it because he is the Grand Master of the order.

Who wore the hat best?

Zara?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeTDqVxgTY4/

or Mike?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FUQzysaWUAEXH-R?format=jpg&name=large

Duchess of York:

"How inspiring to see the country united in celebration of your extraordinary dedication to duty and service and steadfastness. You embrace all that you do with kindness and selflessness and this is the finest example. Thank you Your Majesty.."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeTze9YglI3/

James Middleton:

"From one matriarch to another �� wishing Her Majesty all the best on her special Jubilee"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeT3zS_gCQx/

Last edited:
Another picture from today in Windsor - this is the Queen’s Row Barge Gloriana which you may remember from the Diamond Jubilee.

We’ve also been to an Ox Roast in a small park called Bachelor’s Acre which has hosted these events for significant royal jubilees since George lll’s Golden Jubilee in 1809, and to an Open House at the Guildhall where Charles and Camilla got married.

Off to the beacon lighting on the Long Walk later - Windsor’s celebrations are going well IMG_7122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom