Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting to see the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of Kent in jacquet today. Maybe the uniform and bearskin hat has become too much for them (they could have swapped the bearskin for a kepi). Maybe the Duke thought: "I am retired so I am civilian now". Both were dressed to the nines. As usual.

Fascinating to watch the field pieces being fired.

The cannons are model 1904, and were predominantly thought to be used as a battlefield weapon. I.e. to be used as fairly short range suppression of hostile troops, in particular charging natives in colonial warfare. The ammunition favored was shrapnel shells, which people nowadays incorrectly tend to use to describe fragments. Shrapnels were grenades filled with metal-balls which exploded over the heads of the enemy showering them with balls.
Hence the armor plate on the field pieces which offers some protection from long range rifle fire. During the Boer War a few years before artillerymen had been picked off while standing by their cannons, by Boers mostly using the very accurate and long ranging Mauser rifle.

Like all other such field pieces they became obsolete once the warfare in WWI became static after the first few (and very bloody) months. After that the only cannons in use were howitzers, which lob shells over a long distance.
However, flat-trajectory field pieces came back to use in the last days of WWI and again in WWII as anti-tank guns. One of the most famous of course being the legendary German 88.

Today some 43 % of the troopers in the Royal Horse Artillery are women.

Last edited:
[....]

4. Our amazing Queen has been praised (as usual) both yesterday and today and deservedly so by commentators/experts for the way she is now leading a nation in sorrow, while Theresa May is criticized as never before.

With the notable difference that a Prime Minister bears personal executive and political responsibility, is held accountable by the public. The Queen at the other hand, tja... she did what she had to do. Her white gloves will remain spotless. The comparison between a PM with her boots in the mud and a Queen on her high piedestal is not fair here, I am afraid to say.

George and Charlotte looking from window

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcJQ7Uneor/?taken-by=thecambridgespage
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVcJPZ0lrGB/?taken-by=hrhprincesscharlotte

At the Balcony

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChSAROXsAA08_j.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChYVK2WsAAJRql.jpg

Two more Galleries from today

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2017/06/17/trooping_the_colour_ceremony,_london

Belga Image

I love the old pictures, especially the very old
Back Trooping of Colour 1951:Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and 3-year-old Prince Charles

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DChCM8yXcAAofEn.jpg

and back 1987:Queen Mother, Princes Diana and 5-year-old Prince William

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCh-gSLXgAIbLLy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With the notable difference that a Prime Minister bears personal executive and political responsibility, is held accountable by the public. The Queen at the other hand, tja... she did what she had to do. Her white gloves will remain spotless. The comparison between a PM with her boots in the mud and a Queen on her high piedestal is not fair here, I am afraid to say.
1. No she didn't.

2. I didn't compare them, the experts/commentators did.

HM and the royal family is inside the palace and the broadcast has ended.

Last edited:

Good point, Duc ! The hysteria, however, is getting out of control even for the royals. At the end of yesterday's visit, Prince William was also heckled by the crowd. And, if you read the comments section in the Daily Mail, there are several comments saying that Trooping the Colour should have been canceled ("cancelled" in British spelling), or that the pageantry is incompatible with the nation's current somber mood ("sombre" in British spelling).

Last edited:
[several comments saying that Trooping the Colour should have been canceled ("cancelled" in British spelling), or that the pagentry is incompatible with the nation's current somber mood ("sombre" in British spelling).

What nonsense such remarks are - MANY hundreds of people have worked hard for Months to bring this much loved occasion to fruition, and the life of the Nation must GO ON.
The sensitive statement issued this Morning by HMQ is sufficent to mark the mood..

It is nice to see Lady Gabriella attending the event. Hopefully there will be better photos of the balcony.

Last edited:
What nonsense such remarks are - MANY hundreds of people have worked hard for Months to bring this much loved occasion to fruition, and the life of the Nation must GO ON.
The sensitive statement issued this Morning by HMQ is sufficent to mark the mood..
It is not my opinion. I was just reporting on some comments on the Mail on line.

The tower fire, besides the obvious tragedy of loss of life and property, became symbolic, I think, of the class divide in Britain, which explains why some people are directing their anger at the upper class or the "establishment" in general, of which the Royal Family is obviously a part. The Queen understands that and that is why she was quick to react.

Last edited:
Good point, Duc ! The hysteria, however, is getting out of control even for the royals. At the end of yesterday's visit, Prince William was also heckled by the crowd. And, if you read the comments section in the Daily Mail, there are several comments saying that Trooping the Colour should have been canceled ("cancelled" in British spelling), or that the pageantry is incompatible with the nation's current somber mood ("sombre" in British spelling).

That Colour that is trooped has battle honors on in. It's more about honoring the Household Division than celebrating the Queen. Daily Mail comment section is full of hateful trolls.

1. The Queen was received with applause, and some of the people she meet said they were in tears after they meet her.

2. The Heckler wanted the 91 year old Queen to come to him. Her Majesty hesitated a bit and was asked by the security guards to get into her car. He then shouted at William. Afterwards he jelled at the others because they had applaused the Queen and he was angry that HM and William had not done anything about the fire safety in London.

He obviously did not understand what a constitutional monarchy is and many became angry with him.

3. The trolls in the DF comments section are a bunch of racist, sexist, homophobic, ignorant, sick, spiteful bullies who hates everyone. But they represents a very tiny minority of the UK public, and many of them are from other countries.

4. And as I wrote in this thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...-26-december-2014-a-37742-47.html#post1989402

It's also nice to see how popular Her Majesty is. Her Ipsos MORI and YouGov approval ratings are at 80-90%, and she has since 2014 been polled the most admirred person/woman in the UK (also in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Germany in 2016).

Almost everyone I know in the UK likes her and almost all the comments on The Royal Family, the British Monarchist League and the British Monarchist Society & Foundation facebook pages are positive (in the last few weeks really heartwarming)

Even many of the ignorant and evil minded thugs in the DF comment section (the best rated comments) and on twitter likes her.

5. This thread is about the Trooping the colour and again it made me proud to half British.

I love this picture:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/06/17/13/article-4612948-417E694A00000578-893_964x547.jpg

Last edited:
1. Now that I live in Norway, I can't describe how much I miss the mediahhh app.

2. Warning to posters here - be a bit careful when you use the tvpc site.

Have you tried using a vpn to "trick" your location? I use CyberGhost and have nad nothing but positive experiences with it.

:previous:

Prince George and Princess Charlotte looks wonderful. They are clearly the future of the BRF.

Where was Princess Michael and Princess Alexandra?

There's a nice and funny family moment from 2:10 :

Camilla is pointing to the Queen a hidden stool apparently placed here for George. Then the info is given to the Duke, asking to Kate if the object will be useful. Apparently yes because if you look closely, the hidden stool is discretly pushed from Camilla to Kate thanks to the royal feets... At the end George is finally able to enjoy the show !

There's a nice and funny family moment from 2:10 :

Camilla is pointing to the Queen a hidden stool apparently placed here for George. Then the info is given to the Duke, asking to Kate if the object will be useful. Apparently yes because if you look closely, the hidden stool is discretly pushed from Camilla to Kate thanks to the royal feets... At the end George is finally able to enjoy the show !
I saw that as well. Absolutely adorable!

Yes it was very sweet...and then later did you see William grabbing for George as he was moving around toward the balcony? Being up there with young kids would make me a bit nervous as well...I noticed Kate kept a grip on Charlotte too! <G>

LaRae

Yes it was very sweet...and then later did you see William grabbing for George as he was moving around toward the balcony? Being up there with young kids would make me a bit nervous as well...I noticed Kate kept a grip on Charlotte too! <G>

LaRae

I get nervous too. Young children in my family for example were never allowed to get close to windows or balconies without some kind of protective barrier. But we are just common people, not royalty who has to wave to their dutiful subjects and look good on camera !

I guess they have a good track record (the BRF) haven't lost one over the edge yet! lol

LaRae

Well the 'slimmed down' idea is always associated with Charles rather than the current Queen. She always seems quite happy to invite all her children, grandchildren, cousins and their families to the Palace on this day and likewise always welcomes them/allows them onto the balcony. If she didn't want to she wouldn't. Of course things may change in the future but for now it seems something of a tradition that the Queen invites them all to attend, maybe she does so as it gives them a fixed point to all get together, this always takes place in the summer, the Christmas lunch at BP in Winter, ensuring the extended family all come together at least twice a year.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

Is such a large family gathering at the balcony really necessary ? What happened to a slimmed-down , core royal family ?

I think when Charles is King, the Kent and Gloucester families will dissapear from the balcony.
Then it will just be the King, his wife, his sons, daugthers-in-law with their children and the Kings' brothers and sister with their families. This is my guess.
Still a large gathering but less so than the present situation.
But I could be wrong and that it will just be the King with his family.

Last edited:
Well the 'slimmed down' idea is always associated with Charles rather than the current Queen. She always seems quite happy to invite all her children, grandchildren, cousins and their families to the Palace on this day and likewise always welcomes them/allows them onto the balcony. If she didn't want to she wouldn't. Of course things may change in the future but for now it seems something of a tradition that the Queen invites them all to attend, maybe she does so as it gives them a fixed point to all get together, this always takes place in the summer, the Christmas lunch at BP in Winter, ensuring the extended family all come together at least twice a year.

Thanks for your answer, Tommy100.

I understand what you say, but it just strikes me as odd. The Duke of Kent, the Duke of Gloucester, Prince Michael and Princess Alexandra are HRHs themselves so it makes sense that they would be there, but their children and grandchildren are not royals and are not even closely related to the Queen, unlike Princess Anne's children for example (who are not royals either, but at least are closer relatives to the Queen). Nothing against it and it certainy doesn't hurt, but it is a little bit too much IMHO.

Trooping the Colour 2003-2017

The whole family is out there for 15 minutes. You would not even see the extended family on the tv coverage because they focus on the Queen and the people immediately around her. They are there because the Queen wants them there and it's her official birthday celebration. Just like they all get invited for pre Christmas BP lunch. What harm is the extended family on the balcony doing? None that I can see.

Last edited:
I guess they are also there on the balcony because they are watching a fly past, whilst its turned into a 'balcony appearance' by the media its actually also a view point for the RF to watch the flypast. I guess the Queen, having invited them to attend, would feel rude asking them to watch the flypast on TV or in the back garden.

It was great to see the photos and videos from Trooping the Colour today.
It's nice that Savannah and Isla are on the balcony this time, though it was a shame to see that Sophie, Louise and James were absent. I hope that everything was alright, considering that the Wessexes have always been 'regulars' at Trooping the Colour and also that Edward was on the balcony this year. George and Charlotte are adorable as usual. Charlotte definitely seems to have quite the lively personality. I hope that Mia will get to join her cousins next year!

Back
Top Bottom