Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's ridiculous that people in other countries got to see PG out and about but he's always been hidden away in the country he actually lives in. Diana and the Queen brought their babies out at TTC but I can't say that I am remotely surprised that George isn't there today.

What possible difference does it make?! As a Brit, it doesn't matter to me where George happens to be, the vast, vast majority of us will only ever see George on the television or in the newspapers, so it really does not matter one jot whether it happens in Australia or London or Timbuktu.

Had he been on the balcony only a tiny proportion of the crowd would've been able to see him with their own eyes, the rest of us would see him on the telly just as we did when he was Down Under.

On the list of problems the British people have right now, not seeing George in the UK is in pretty much last place.

That's exactly what I thought! :)
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Edward+Duke+Kent+Princess+Alexandra+3WfyF3f_YNEl.jpg
The Princess looks and smiles wonderful and she seems to enjoy the moment, but the Duke...what a horrible hat. I think he does not enjoy this... Can he see antyhing in that mad thing? :lol:
All of them look like grumpy bears in those hats. It's the chin strap and low brim.

EDIT: And finally - full pictuers of the balcony are coming out: http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/45...Tmq/sn/SwLcy+kW7P2UyZt+mOAoSFAWCYkCwXhgHc5Q==

Last edited:
Love all the ladies in bright colors today. What the heck is on Eugenie's head?
Love seeing Catherine talk to the little girl on the balcony.
Oh, can William wear that outfit once a week? Can't wait to see him on Garter day.

What possible difference does it make?! As a Brit, it doesn't matter to me where George happens to be, the vast, vast majority of us will only ever see George on the television or in the newspapers, so it really does not matter one jot whether it happens in Australia or London or Timbuktu.

Had he been on the balcony only a tiny proportion of the crowd would've been able to see him with their own eyes, the rest of us would see him on the telly just as we did when he was Down Under.

On the list of problems the British people have right now, not seeing George in the UK is in pretty much last place.

Can't agree more. What did people expect ? A scene from the "Lion King" and Kate holding George "circle of life" style ?

I hope the Linleys and Chattos are on the balcony. The balcony looked really empty last year.

And they didn't attend this year either - it looks like they won't attend any more, since they've missed two years of the ceremony. I thought the balcony looked quite bare today as well. I'll be looking forward to the time when George, Savannah, Isla and Mia are all old enough to stand on the balcony together, as the balcony will become full again since their parents will likely attend too. Zara and Peter haven't attended Trooping the Colour since their childhood, IIRC. Still, it's always nice to see immediate members and more distant members of the RF gather together. Sophie Winkleman was the best dressed for me, and I also liked Catherine's outfit.

I was just wondering - where are Louise and James? Sophie and Edward were there, so I find their absence odd. There has been a sick bug going around in the UK though, so perhaps both of them are ill. Or maybe they had another event to attend.

what does it mean? Sorry I don't get it...:flowers:

The saying 'no show' means that the person in question (in this case, Prince George) hasn't turned up to a certain event. :flowers:

Love all the ladies in bright colors today. What the heck is on Eugenie's head?
Love seeing Catherine talk to the little girl on the balcony.
Oh, can William wear that outfit once a week? Can't wait to see him on Garter day.

Just FYI, the little girl is Estella Taylor, Lady Helen Taylor's youngest daughter and child. She and her sister Eloise (who I do believe was in green today) are 'regulars' at Trooping the Colour, although their brothers haven't attended for a while. :)

Prince Harry was playing the joker in the pack today as he kept the rest of the Royal Family entertained while the Queen celebrated her official birthday with a spectacular Trooping the Colour parade.
Harry appeared to be the centre of attention as he was seen laughing and joking with his grandmother and grandfather, the Queen and Prince Philip, as well as his brother Prince William and sister-in-law the Duchess of Cambridge.
Members of the Royal Family had gathered on the balcony of Buckingham Palace for an RAF flypast following the Trooping the Colour ceremony.
During the parade the Queen inspected 1,000 soldiers of the Household Division at Horse Guards Parade in central London.

Prince Harry keeps Kate laughing as Royal Family salute Queen at Trooping the Colour parade | Mail Online

Can't agree more. What did people expect ? A scene from the "Lion King" and Kate holding George "circle of life" style ?

I can't say I wouldn't like to see such a scene.:lol:

kate looks superb, this is my favourite look so far of her at TTC. eugenie's hat is also lovely and different.

why is it that the ladies when in the carriages cover their legs with a tartan quilt? it´s after all almost summer already. is there a tradition behind it?

I don't think there's a tradition of it, per se, but HM always has a blanket in her carriage and always uses it. I think they take their cue from her, and since the blanket's in there, they might as well use it.

I remember a few years ago it was a really, really sunny and hot Trooping (like 90F) and the first thing HM did when she got back in her carriage was drape the blanket over her legs. I couldn't understand it myself, maybe it's just habit by now?

And they didn't attend this year either - it looks like they won't attend any more, since they've missed two years of the ceremony. I thought the balcony looked quite bare today as well. I'll be looking forward to the time when George, Savannah, Isla and Mia are all old enough to stand on the balcony together, as the balcony will become full again since their parents will likely attend too. Zara and Peter haven't attended Trooping the Colour since their childhood, IIRC. Still, it's always nice to see immediate members and more distant members of the RF gather together. Sophie Winkleman was the best dressed for me, and I also liked Catherine's outfit.

I was just wondering - where are Louise and James? Sophie and Edward were there, so I find their absence odd. There has been a sick bug going around in the UK though, so perhaps both of them are ill. Or maybe they had another event to attend.

I find the non appearances of Peter and Zara's families odd, but it's their choice I suppose.

Louise and James weren't there today which I also found very odd. They could have been at a family friend's birthday party or something. A bit of a shame mainly because James was hilariously cute last year.

The woman all looked nice but I don't like Sophie's dress. It's a bit too see through for me. Lovely to see Eloise and Estella Taylor. They are very pretty and they had the same dress on but in different colours. Not sure how I feel about the bows in their hair as I feel they are a bit too old for them.

Last edited:
I find the non appearances of Peter and Zara's families odd, but it's their choice I suppose.

Louise and James weren't there today which I also found very odd. They could have been at a family friend's birthday party or something. A bit of a shame mainly because James was hilariously cute last year.

Yes, that's what I thought as well. Louise often attends so her absence stood out for me, and I thought that or illness could be the most likely reason for her not attending. The same goes for James.

Beatrice also wasn't present.

So, was Alexandra invited to the carriage to accompany her brother? Cause if I'm right, minor members of the RF do not usually take part in the carriage procession...

The Duke of Kent rode in procession as colonel in chief for many years at this event. Last year he stood in for Prince Philip and sat with the Queen in the Glass coach (it is said this closed coach was used because of the Duke´s ill health - weeks before he had an operation).
Now the Duke of Kent is too frail to ride himself but as Colonel-in-chief of course allowed to ride in procession, so he uses a coach now instead of riding on horseback. His sister joins him because his wife refuses to attend public appearances and functions since about 20 years (the duchess only attends major big events like royal weddings of the brit. royal family).
Sorry for which reason Duchess of Kent is "refusing" to attend?

That's exactly what I thought! :)
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Edward+Duke+Kent+Princess+Alexandra+3WfyF3f_YNEl.jpg
The Princess looks and smiles wonderful and she seems to enjoy the moment, but the Duke...what a horrible hat. I think he does not enjoy this... Can he see antyhing in that mad thing? :lol:

I agree about the bearskin hat; do fellow board members know details about these things? All I know is that the skins are from black bears native to Canada. In Ontario we have a very controversial spring bear hunt that no longer takes place due to animal rights campaigners. :flowers: I would think and hope therefore that these hats are passed on from Guard member to guard member as otherwise the hats would become even more expensive and lead to bear poaching.:bang:

Lady Gabriella is a personification of exquisiteness and noble serenity. I like the way she wears wide-brimmed hats.

Lady Gabriella reminds me very much of Princess Marina in that photo!

Maybe I'm mistaken but I was sure I spotted Lady Sarah Chatto and one of her sons on the balcony today. She was to the far right near the back when the Queen arrived back to Buckingham palace in the carriage.

Sorry for which reason Duchess of Kent is "refusing" to attend?

The Duchess of Kent hasn't attend public events for many years now, various reasons are given, both that she is not 100% well and that she and the Duke live slightly separate lives. She taught music in a state school for a number of years using the name Katherine Kent and hasn't used the style HRH since early 2000s.
She tends to only turn up for major family events such as weddings

I agree about the bearskin hat; do fellow board members know details about these things? All I know is that the skins are from black bears native to Canada. In Ontario we have a very controversial spring bear hunt that no longer takes place due to animal rights campaigners. :flowers: I would think and hope therefore that these hats are passed on from Guard member to guard member as otherwise the hats would become even more expensive and lead to bear poaching.:bang:

The caps (as they're known in the Guards regiments) are handed down through the generations, as it were, although new ones do still have to be bought each year. I know the MoD have had trials for synthetic materials in response to controversy from animal rights activists, but I believe that no man-made material has been found that's anywhere near as durable for outdoor wear as the real deal. I think I remember hearing that during the trials the caps' synthetic furs discoloured and expanded, making them look really odd.

The origins of the tall caps are simply that they made soldiers look much bigger and therefore more frightening on the battlefield.

It's ridiculous that people in other countries got to see PG out and about but he's always been hidden away in the country he actually lives in. Diana and the Queen brought their babies out at TTC but I can't say that I am remotely surprised that George isn't there today.

The difference is that he was with his his parents on a 3-week trip. Now he can stay home or with grandparents. Abroad, there was virtually no way they could avoid his being seen.

Those girls look good!

indeed, gabriella and sophie winkleman certainly do look good in that picture! sophie reminds me there of princess ameera, with her long dark hair... i love their wide brim hats - we don't see many of those anymore in this age of fascinators and cocktail hats!

The Duchess of Kent hasn't attend public events for many years now, various reasons are given, both that she is not 100% well and that she and the Duke live slightly separate lives. She taught music in a state school for a number of years using the name Katherine Kent and hasn't used the style HRH since early 2000s.
She tends to only turn up for major family events such as weddings

Didn't she suprisingly appear at the balcony some years ago? Or maybe even last year?

I thought the Duke and Duchess are informally separated and although Prince Edward continues to live at Wren House on the grounds of Kensington Palace, his wife rents or owns an apartment somewhere else in town, works (or worked) on her own as a school teacher and does not take part in any of her husband's duties. The Duke is seen carrying out his regular engagements solo for many years now (and did the Duchess renounce her patronages?). She does not attend and does not openings, concerts, meetings, parties and banquets, etc. both in her capacity as patron/president/chairman/colonel/visitor and as a member of the RF (events at state or court level).

Last edited:
Over the years, maybe depending on what they have going on that day, various members do or do not attend.

I loved the big pic from 2012 in which virtually every member and extended member was present.

To the poster back a couple of pages, Peter and Zara have attended in the past few years. Their last appearances were not during childhood. :)

Back
Top Bottom