Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First thought on some of those pictures: one day, many many many years from now, I look forward to hearing Louise's recollections of spending time with her grandmother the Queen. :flowers:

I look foreward to this as well.

Sorry for my ignorance but who are the other three little girls?

Last edited:
mybags said:
Duchess of Gloucester and Lady Nicholas Windsor:
Picture details

I maybe wrong but isn't the lady in blue the Duchess of Kent? And purple is Princess Alexandria? And isn't one of these ladies Alexandria's daughter in law Julia? Or am i getting mixed up bc I don't see the Duchess of Gloucester here? Can someone point her out to me please? I'm not good at 'find the royal ' :)

Edit- ok I am wrong Duchess of Gloucester is lady in blue :) who's the guy behind her?

Last edited:
I look foreward to this as well.

Sorry for my ignorance but who are the other three little girls?

I agree with you in regards to looking forward to some recollections from Lady Louise in her adult years.

As for the other three girls, they were Eloise and Estella Taylor (lady Helen's and Tim Taylor's girls) and Margarita Armstrong-Jones. All were rather precious in their dresses and hair ribbons (or a hair band, as the case was for one of the Taylor girls, and she kept playing with it, which I found amusing).

Hope this helps you.

The Duke of Gloucester is the Queen's first cousin, thus, he is the Prince of Wales' first cousin, once removed. Not his uncle.

Charles has no surviving aunts and never had an uncle.

He did have uncles, the husbands of his aunts, who are technically called uncles (who doesn't consider their aunt's husband their uncle?):

Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe Langenburg (Husband of Princess Margarita)
Berthold, Margrave of Baden (Husband of Princess Theodora)
Prince George William of Hanover (Husband of Princess Sophie)
and of course, The Earl of Snowdon

Totally confused- who are the first 3 and how are they related to Charles? Are those Phillip's sisters husbands?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know!. Rather silly, as it is HM's birthday parade and as her subject in Canada I can't easily watch it. I mean, I can go online and watch it, but I shouldn't need to go to such lengths to watch the birthday parade of my sovereign!!!

It is the same here in Australia - sure pay TV viewers can get it if they are interested but...

if there really was any real interest in this parade down here I am sure that we would get it but the stations know that the majority of people wouldn't be interested in watching it so why go to the bother? My brother works for the ABC and I asked him this question a number of years ago and the reply was that the powers that be at the station didn't believe that there was sufficient interest based on the surveys etc that they do.

We have had a short 30 sec showing on the news here with the emphasis on Kate and William.

Given the time that it was on was 8.00 p.m. on a Saturday night here - prime time on a Saturday night - there simply wasn't the interest - the commercial stations wouldn't be able to sell enough adverstisements to cover the ceremony and people also want their football (one of the stations left the wedding mid-way through to show the football remember - they were in the Abbey but were still not married) and the government owned station is way too left wing to programme something to do with royals that happens every year.

I am not even sure if we will get any coverage of Philip's birthday service tonight.

Same situation here - like I said, I don't think there would have been sufficient interest at such an early hour here to make it (financially) worthwhile for broadcasters. A little 30 second piece on the evening news is all we get. A shame that the pomp and pagentry of a big event like Trooping the Colour doesn't garner more interest here, especially since it is the Queen's birthday parade!. I know it wouldn't exactly be a ratings bonanza, but surely they could forgo a couple hours of infomercials???LOL

Prince Philip's Service of Thanksgiving - is that to be aired?? Sigh...yet another event that won't be aired in Canada...maybe republicans are heading up programming at the CBC?? LOL

Totally confused- who are the first 3 and how are they related to Charles? Are those Phillip's sisters husbands?

Yes, Margarita, Theodora, and Sophie were Prince Philip's sisters, those listed were their husbands. His sister Cecilie and her husband and children were killed in a plane crash before Charles was born.

Sure, by marriage. But they are all dead except Lord Snowdon and I highly doubt Charles considers the divorced husband of his late aunt, his uncle.
Again, he has no living aunts or uncles by marriage.

The Duchess of Cornwall's jewelry was amazing at Trooping the Colour. Anyone recognize the necklace?

Again, he has no living aunts or uncles by marriage.
I actually think the opposite. I do think that he probably regards Tony as his uncle, simply because he was his uncle for so long and he is the father of his maternal cousins.

If the marriage had only lasted a couple of years or their were no children then I could understand him not thinking that but the marriage lasted for years and there are two children of that marriage who attend a number of events.

How would he talk to them about their father, or even greet him at one of those events - 'Hi Lord Snowdon' or 'Hi Uncle Tony'?

:previous: Or, 'hi Tony'? Seems perfectly reasonable, if not likely, to me.

Last edited:
The Duke of Gloucester is the Queen's first cousin, thus, he is the Prince of Wales' first cousin, once removed. Not his uncle.

Charles has no surviving aunts and never had an uncle.

Noted. I was thinking of the Queen's cousins, but you're right.

However, Prince Charles *does* have an uncle. the late Princess Margaret's ex-husband, Lord Snowdon, is his uncle, divorced or not.

Trooping the Colour: Well, what a wonderful day we had in London! Had to get up about 3:30 am, and be on the coach for 5:15 - all glammed up & looking our best! Arrived in London early enough to be dropped off near Westmnster Abbey, for a short walk to Horseguard Parade. We had good seats - we were in the block of seats looking right along the line of the Guards, towards the Treasury Building (all covered in ivy) and could see everything really well. Even the weather was kind to us - just a very few spots of rain before it all started. It was cool but later the sun came out & was super. The whole spectacle was amazing and fascinating. Great fun and a real experience. After it was all over, we later walked up the Mall, saw the 21 gun salute and had a fantastic view of the breathtaking fly-past, too. The balcony was a bit far away, but we could make out the principal players. Then on for a wonderful lunch a the RAF Club - Yummy! After that it was a short walk to Park Lane and back on the coach to come home.

Everybody in London seemed so well turned out & well behaved, it was a real pleasure to be there. The group we went with were connected with the Air FOrce Cadets and I'd like to thank them for our invitation, which we thoroughly appreciated - so if they have any last minute cancellations we'll be thrilled to step in & fill the gaps!!

You can see my album here but please don't "steal" my photos! Much appreciated.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.207266675981949.46239.100000958558902&l=3aff34b392

Last edited:
Yes, Margarita, Theodora, and Sophie were Prince Philip's sisters, those listed were their husbands. His sister Cecilie and her husband and children were killed in a plane crash before Charles was born.

Sorry to go off topic for a post, but I just read about that plane crash on Wikipedia, and all I can say is :verysad:

The Duke of York has little to smile about...

his reputation in tatters, badly dressed daughters, and an uncontrollable ex-wife...

Would you be beaming ....?

I think his daughters' wardrobe decisions are the least of his worries. You also stated HRH Prince Andrew, the current Duke of York, has 'an uncontrollable ex-wife.' Tell me if I have understood those particular words to mean that the Duchess of York should be under her ex-husband's control?
I hope you realize that all in his family have a free will, they are all of majority, and will do what they want. Prince Andrew should never be he held accountable for his daughters' or his ex-wife's actions.

It's true that Andrew cannot be held accountable for the behavior of his ex-wife and their now adult children but...they are still his family.

He cannot be indifferent to anything controversial that is happening in their lives...just as they would be if the situation was reversed.

I just looked through the picture of the trooping and I must say that Lady Louise is starting to be one of my favorite royals too, I am really glad her parents are relaxing a little regarding her exposure, what a cute little girl, she looks like she was having the time of her life, so happy for her.
I also love watching the Duchess of Cambridge with all the children, she is a natural with them, I can't wait for her and William to have their own.

Back
Top Bottom