The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Okay, perhaps they could weed out a few. However, the Kents, Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra may not make some people's idea of members of the BRF. But, if they are doing a lot of hard yakka on behalf of said family, they should be entitled to one of the few perks they get. After all, they worked for it and they earned it.

The Diamond Jubilee may have been organised by Charles, but had HM not felt very strongly about it, she would have vetoed it. It worked, sort of, to mark the royal succession but it was not popular with the public at large and I believe they will try to avoid p****** off the public.
The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester, Prince Muchael and Prince Alexandra are considered members of the Royal Family according to the RF website. Those who are not considered members of the family are, as I said, the Kent and Gloucester children and grandchildren who , accordingly, should not be on the balcony.

Please also note that membership off the Royal Family is not linked to being a “ working royal”. The list posted on the RF website includes several people, ifor example the York princesses, Prince Michael and, more significantly, the children and grandchildren of Princess Anne and Princess Margaret , who are not working royals but are nonetheless considered part of the family.

That confusion could be eliminated if the British court introduced a formal distinction between the Royal House and the Royal Famiky as it is done in the Netherlands or in Sweden. That is not the case though in the UK .

Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for posting the video. Lovely to see the correct Duchess of Gloucester and her tiara among others

Old 06-07-2019, 09:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if Lord and Lady Frederick will bring Maud this year.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

At some point, they'll have to cut down on the people on the balcony, for simple logistics. It was one thing when the Gloucester and Kents attended, and then with their children, and now with grandchildren. Where does it end?

My guess is Charles will limit the balcony to QEII's decedents, Princess Margaret's descendants and the Kents and Gloucesters that are HRH. But no more children, and definitely not grandchildren, of his mother's cousins on the balcony.

And yes, eventually it'll be cut again. Can you imagine if decedent from a monarch was never cut? That'll balcony would collapse.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
At some point, they'll have to cut down on the people on the balcony, for simple logistics. It was one thing when the Gloucester and Kents attended, and then with their children, and now with grandchildren. Where does it end?

My guess is Charles will limit the balcony to QEII's decedents, Princess Margaret's descendants and the Kents and Gloucesters that are HRH. But no more children, and definitely not grandchildren, of his mother's cousins on the balcony.

And yes, eventually it'll be cut again. Can you imagine if decedent from a monarch was never cut? That'll balcony would collapse.
I'm sure Charles will change things but the Queen seems to like it as it is at the moment.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That confusion could be eliminated if the British court introduced a formal distinction between the Royal House and the Royal Famiky as it is done in the Netherlands or in Sweden. That is not the case though in the UK .

Yes I agree that this would be a good place to start distinguishing between the two groups. However I don't see this happening until QEII"s reign ends.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The Queen's long reign is perhaps why the people on the balcony keep growing in numbers. Over 67 years, her extended family has multiplied by leaps and bounds and that must make the Queen very happy to be able to see her very large family of relatives when they all come together for an occasion such as Trooping the Color.

I've no doubt either that this will change once Charles is King and perhaps even more so with William.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The Queen's long reign is perhaps why the people on the balcony keep growing in numbers. Over 67 years, her extended family has multiplied by leaps and bounds and that must make the Queen very happy to be able to see her very large family of relatives when they all come together for an occasion such as Trooping the Color.

I've no doubt either that this will change once Charles is King and perhaps even more so with William.
It’ll have to. There will be too many people on the balcony. Having Charles and his family, the York’s and the Wessexes are pretty much enough. Before you blink an eye - York grandchildren will come along. Harry and Meghan will likely have another child too. That’s the core family.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’ll have to. There will be too many people on the balcony. Having Charles and his family, the York’s and the Wessexes are pretty much enough. Before you blink an eye - York grandchildren will come along. Harry and Meghan will likely have another child too. That’s the core family.
What about Anne and her family?
Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinking View Post
What about Anne and her family?
Yeah, her too. Don’t know how I forgot about, Anne.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I think HM treats Trooping as a big family get-together rather than an official "working royals and their families only" event. AFAIK HM's side of the family and the Gloucesters/Kents etc don't get to see each other very often (I think with a few exceptions between the Cambridges and Lord and Lady Frederick since they live near each other and their children are in the same class and school) so it's probably nice for them to see everyone and catch up. A lot of the extended family rotates between years or stop attending e.g. the Snowdens haven't been since 2011 when they used to be regulars leaving a little more room on the balcony to squeeze in another. And selfishly it's nice to see photos of all the family together since we don't get to see the extended royals and their families all that often.
I can picture, though, Trooping being limited to an immediate family event when/if Charles becomes king for some reason.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-07-2019, 05:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Trooping The Colour 2019: Live Coverage - 10:30am on BBC One
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005xdz

YouTube Live Coverage-

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I like seeing all the royals at Trooping as its one of the few times we get to see them all together and its nice knowing they have that opportunity.

I found the Diamond Jubilee balcony appearance rather awkward as it was so different and while change can be good we are talking about an institution with many traditions and where even relatively modern practices are seen as tradition - a lot of people think the RF have always celebrated Christmas at Sandringham and could imagine it nowhere else even though this is really only a 20-25year old custom.

Likewise, IMO, the Jubilee balcony appearance was too different for people and looked a little like Charles was being petty. I don't think Charles is pretty btw but thats how it seemed. While you happily have other people carrying out duties for you it appears stingy not to invite them onto the balcony. In fairness Charles could just invite the same people as now and have a smaller balcony party, most the public wouldn't know beyond the HRHs (and probably not even that many royals tbh) so sticking to Charles, his siblings, their children, Earl Snowden and Lady Sarah and the HRH Kents and Gloucesters feels right to me.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

DoS is apparently attending tomorrow;
https://twitter.com/maxfostercnn/sta...822335488?s=21
Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nice scoop!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2019, 04:49 AM
Royal Highness

For the German speakers:
3sat already started its broadcast:
https://www.3sat.de/programm/3sat-livestream-100.html

and ARD will broadcast also broadcast live starting from 11:35 (GMT+1):
https://live.daserste.de/
Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived for Trooping The Colour.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8h1iyhXoAAvQBM.jpg

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8hzb2BXkAAsSHh.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D8h3Y6JXkAAXvbv.jpg

Gallery as Royals arrives

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...emony,_london?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Live Coverage Begins:

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-08-2019, 05:33 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It's wonderful that the BBC is finally streaming it live worldwide. No more fiddling around with a VPN to get into iPlayer...
Old 06-08-2019, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Watching it live on the BBC looks like a cloudy Saturday morning in London.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour