The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Well I think things will change once Charles becomes King. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with all those "slimmed down monarchy" discussions but out of sheer practicalities something will have to change eventually.

The problem is in part that there is a whole generation (same age as the Queen's grandchildren) who are marrying and starting their own families which means soon they just won't all fit on the balcony.

I wonder if something like we saw at Harry's wedding will become the norm - Charles, his family, his siblings and their families and the HRH Gloucesters and Kents.

I notice we didn't see the Snowdons or Chattos this year, they are even more closely related to the Queen and Charles than mot of those we do see on the balcony.

Maybe, sticking with the two balcony appearances they could have everyone out to greet "King Charles" and the royal colonels back to BP then for the second appearance for the fly past just Charles and his siblings and their families. Though how the others would see the planes who knows.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
My guess would be that there's the immediate royal family and then there's the extended family of the monarch.

Or it could go into the hundreds that are listed in the line of succession to the British throne. Depends on the list you look at. This one lists the first 100 people.

https://www.britroyals.com/succession.asp

Old 06-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Which really begs the question: where does the "Royal Family" end ?

I think the issue is The Queen doesn’t want to exclude her Cousin’s after all the work they have done on her behalf. This then extends to their families and children, I think for the younger ones it’s about the experience on the balcony. More than likely the balcony will change when Charles becomes King and we’ll see less of the extended family on the balcony.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post

I notice we didn't see the Snowdons or Chattos this year, they are even more closely related to the Queen and Charles than mot of those we do see on the balcony.
The Snowdons and Chattos don't usually attend anyways though. I think the last time either family did was 2011.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
how the others would see the planes who knows.
Through the first floor windows of the Palace overlooking the Mall ? Other than the 'centre-room', there are many other 'semi-state' rooms along that Facade, I think ?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Lady Gabriella looked lovely in a blue coat and big white hat. I would love to see a closer picture of her.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Majesty

It is rather clear how the queen approaches who belongs to the extended royal family: all descendants of her grandfather (probably with the exception of the decendants of princess Mary, the princess royal).

I expect that Charles will go down either one or two generation: so only the descendants of his grandfather (including Margaret's children and grandchildren) or even to just the descendants of his mother (while keeping her royal cousins who dedicated their lives to serving the monarch but no longer their families).
Old 06-10-2018, 01:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It is rather clear how the queen approaches who belongs to the extended royal family: all descendants of her grandfather (probably with the exception of the decendants of princess Mary, the princess royal).

I expect that Charles will go down either one or two generation: so only the descendants of his grandfather (including Margaret's children and grandchildren) or even to just the descendants of his mother (while keeping her royal cousins who dedicated their lives to serving the monarch but no longer their families).

Yes I expect a similar line up to what was seen at Harry and Meghan’s wedding, the dukes of Kent and Gloucester but not their descendants.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

That or Charles may choose to do what his mother does- the descendents of his grandfather. So his siblings and their families, and the Chatto/Lindleys. We haven't seen Margaret's family the past few years, but we may see again.

I think as long as the Kents and Gloucesters continue to work for the family, even if under Charles, the couples will likely appear. But just them.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Zenouska Mowatt posted pictures on her instagram of a family lunch afterwards in a marquee in what I presume was BP.
Thanks. I will look at her account.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Majesty

Wasn't that what the line up was at Harry and Meghan's wedding?

Looks like we all agree
Old 06-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
That or Charles may choose to do what his mother does- the descendents of his grandfather. So his siblings and their families, and the Chatto/Lindleys. We haven't seen Margaret's family the past few years, but we may see again.

I think as long as the Kents and Gloucesters continue to work for the family, even if under Charles, the couples will likely appear. But just them.

I’ve never gotten the impression that the Queen is doing a “descendants of George V” with the balcony - if she was, we would see the descendants of Princess Margaret and of Mary, Princess Royal and Countess Harewood at the Trooping as well.

What I think she more does is the living Royal Family and their children and grandchildren - hence why we see the Kent and Gloucester families, but not the Snowden or Harewood families.

I personally love the overcrowded balcony with the whole family, and hope that when Charles is King he continues to have the whole group of them for the Trooping - at least as long as his mother’s cousins are still alive.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Courtier

All they need to do is split the 'extended' family in half and then invite them in alternating years. Bob's your uncle.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Moderator Emeritus

That’s probably not far off from how they do things now. I mean, we don’t see the same people there every year - in all likelihood they know exactly how many people can fit on the balcony, determine which of the Queen’s descendants are going to be in attendance, then go to each of the Queen’s cousins and say “okay, this many of your family can come.”
Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Majesty

Margaret's children attended in the padt. Looks like they are all invited but some enjoy this yearly event more than others, so that's why we see the Taylors and Phillips's every year but Mike and Zara and Margaret's family only occassionaly.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Has there been any kind of update on Field Marshal Lord Guthrie's condition? Having something like that happen to a 79 year old man isn't good.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Has there been any kind of update on Field Marshal Lord Guthrie's condition? Having something like that happen to a 79 year old man isn't good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-Colour.html

According to this he is still in hospital but on the mend.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
All they need to do is split the 'extended' family in half and then invite them in alternating years. Bob's your uncle.
That would be good, but the whole family enjoy these extended get togethers because they see very little of each other. Everyone are usually busy traveling, working and on official business.

I prefer the whole family getting together for the Trooping but not the entire clan bombarding the balcony. I guess the family like using that large balcony on this occasion. If they were using the original large balcony, that’s now in the forecourt of Buckingham Palace, space wouldn’t be so tight.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It would have been nice if they incorporated the buffet lunch with Philip's birthday; as even though Trooping is meant to celebrate HM's birthday, it would be like an automatic party for Philip too. However I can imagine that Philip would much rather spend his birthday quietly with HM tucked up on the sofa. I doubt he's the sort who likes big, noisy family parties.

I'm glad that Lord Guthrie is recovering. It must have been rather scary especially at his age.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Majesty

“Revealed: How Harry reassured 'nervous' Meghan at her first Trooping the Colour ceremony (before reminding her to 'look up to the sky' during the flypast)”

Prince Harry asked Meghan Markle if she was OK at Trooping the Colour | Daily Mail Online

A lip reader was employed to get the lowdown between Meghan and Harry.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour