The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2018, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Are royal fiances/fiancees usually involved in Trooping? I know Diana attended Ascot, but can't remember Trooping.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:44 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Are royal fiances/fiancees usually involved in Trooping? I know Diana attended Ascot, but can't remember Trooping.
Diana attended Trooping in 1981, and since it was in June she was still a fiance, as the wedding was in July.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't expect to see Jack until next year but who knows - maybe he will be in the carriage with Beatrice and Eugenie.

I suspect the carriages will be:

1. The Queen and Philip (and maybe the Duke of Kent - as a Colonel of a Household Regiment)
2. Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan (or maybe no Harry and Meghan but George instead)
3. EITHER - Harry and Meghan with Beatrice and Eugenie if George isn't in a carriage OR Beatrice and Eugenie with Sophie and maybe Jack
Old 06-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't expect to see Jack until next year but who knows - maybe he will be in the carriage with Beatrice and Eugenie.

1. The Queen and Philip (and maybe the Duke of Kent - as a Colonel of a Household Regiment)
2. Camilla, Kate, Harry and Meghan (or maybe no Harry and Meghan but George instead)
3. EITHER - Harry and Meghan with Beatrice and Eugenie if George isn't in a carriage OR Beatrice and Eugenie with Sophie and maybe Jack
What about the fourth one, or are you just leaving that as a given for the Wessex family?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Do the Wessex children ride in the carriage?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Do the Wessex children ride in the carriage?
Louise usually has since 2011 and James did for the first time in 2016, but they and Sophie didn't attend last year.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
What about the fourth one, or are you just living that as a given for the Wessex family?
Yes I am assuming a 4th or later ones would be the same as in the past.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Wouldn't P.Andrew be in the same carriage or a prior carriage to his daughters?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Wouldn't P.Andrew be in the same carriage or a prior carriage to his daughters?
Prince Andrew won't be in a carriage this year. His appointment to the Grenadier Guards means he's riding a horse.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lets hope the current good spell of weather lasts into the weekend for the Parade and fly past!
Old 06-04-2018, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

What about William and Kate? Both are expected to be there...William will be riding so I'd assume Kate will be in a carriage with Camilla etc. What about George and Charlotte..?

LaRae
Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 PM
Majesty

Louise was 7 (the same year that she was a flower girl) and James 8 when they first rode in the carriage, so that might be an indication for the Cambridge siblings as well.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Majesty

Prince Philip will not be in a carriage as he no longer has a role in the actual Trooping event. I don't imagine he will leave Buckingham Palace and go down to FO to watch it.

I expect Duke of Kent would accompany the Queen in her carriage as he is still Colonel of the Scots Guards.

Camilla Catherine and maybe George

if that happens then Sussexes and York sisters

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

I'd be surprised to see George in the carriage ride, maybe in a few more years. He's not quite 5 years old. Balcony, yes
Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Why is it a week earlier than usual this year? It's usually the Saturday before Ascot week.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Prince Philip will not be in a carriage as he no longer has a role in the actual Trooping event. I don't imagine he will leave Buckingham Palace and go down to FO to watch it.

I expect Duke of Kent would accompany the Queen in her carriage as he is still Colonel of the Scots Guards.

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.
Aren't there only four carriages, so no Gloucesters and Kents. The only time I've seen them ride in a carriage was when the Wessesxes weren't there.

I'm also really interested about the politics of the balcony. I wonder how they will deal with where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be, given that Harry usually relegates himself to the back. All I know, the balcony is getting very crowded, no wonder the Armstrong-Jones'/Chattos and Mountbattens don't attend anymore.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Aren't there only four carriages, so no Gloucesters and Kents. The only time I've seen them ride in a carriage was when the Wessesxes weren't there.

I'm also really interested about the politics of the balcony. I wonder how they will deal with where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be, given that Harry usually relegates himself to the back. All I know, the balcony is getting very crowded, no wonder the Armstrong-Jones'/Chattos and Mountbattens don't attend anymore.
The only way to solve it all is to have all the front players lined up in the front and everyone else off to the sides.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-04-2018, 08:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

Wessexes and children

Gloucesters and Kents.
Why can't he be in the carriage; isn't that exactly for those who don't have a role such as most ladies in the family? Those 'with a role' are typically on horse back unless they are to old and frail to do so.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I guess they will manage as long as the queen is reigning; when Charles takes over I expect it to be limited to at maximum the descendants of his grandfather king George V (probably with the exception of the 'full time working cousins of the queen but no longer their children and grandchildren); so his siblings and children/grandchildren and probably his first cousins and their children (children and grandchildren of Margaret).
Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Why can't he be in the carriage; isn't that exactly for those who don't have a role such as most ladies in the family? Those 'with a role' are typically on horse back unless they are to old and frail to do so.
The Queens carriage which DoE used to travel in goes to inspect the troops - part of the procession of Colonels of the Regiments incl PoW, William, DoY (this year) etc.

It is separate from the carriages which have "observers" (Camilla, Catherine etc)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour