Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What restriction? He’s back in London supposedly and as long as he was two metres away from his mother in an outside place he could have attended.

There’s no restriction on how far someone can travel to see relatives now.
I thought he was still in Scotland. Also according to Gov.uk, which I checked before posting, travel should be restricted to necessary or essential travels. Neither category could be said to include Prince Charles taking part of today's ceremony.

Last edited:
I thought he was still in Scotland. Also according to Gov.uk, which I checked before posting, travel should be restricted to necessary or essential travels. Neither category could be said to include Prince Charles taking part of today's ceremony.

Wouldn't travel to work (it is the celebration of the OFFICIAL birthday of the queen not a personal family visit) not be considered essential? Especially since they traveled back to London among other reasons to be able to receive the French president in a few days.

Wouldn't travel to work (it is the celebration of the OFFICIAL birthday of the queen not a personal family visit) not be considered essential? Especially since they traveled back to London among other reasons to be able to receive the French president in a few days.
I guess we have different interpretations of what's an essential trip and what's not. The Queen was in attendance for Trooping so Charles did not have to be there. Someone has to great the French president and since the Queen is in quarantine it's apparently been decided that that highest ranking someone is the Prince of Wales.

It’s unconfirmed that he and Camilla were picked up at Aberdeen airport on Thursday to return to England.

I don’t believe the essential or necessary restriction is still in place as you can, from the 28th May, meet up to 6 people not from your household bubble in an outside space, there is no limit on how far you can travel to that outside space. The Queen can even meet people outside should she wish, she just needs to be extra careful.

Whilst I don’t think Charles should have attended, he could have as far as I understand.

I guess we have different interpretations of what's an essential trip and what's not. The Queen was in attendance for Trooping so Charles did not have to be there. Someone has to great the French president and since the Queen is in quarantine it's apparently been decided that that highest ranking someone is the Prince of Wales.
I agree it wasn't essential; as technically, the celebration itself wasn't essential either. There was no need for the queen to be there either - it wouldn't have been a problem to skip a year. Neither is the trip of the French president essential. It could have been done by videoconferencing as well...

However, it seems the royal family is slowly starting up their non-essential in-person engagements and in that regard, I wouldn't think it would have been a problem for Charles to attend.

Note: as we are in 'soft total lockdown' (not sure what is soft about it) I am currently only allowed to leave my house for truly essential activities (which is grocery shopping on one specified day a week and that's all! (unless I would have a medical emergency)) - so, very little is 'essential' from that perspective for the large majority of the people (although I understand that lots of people are still needed to keep basic services running) - in that perspective nothing the royals do (except signing laws if applicable) is 'essential'.

Last edited:
I really miss seeing the whole family together but glad we were able to see the Queen! She looks great

Despite the restrictions it was a wonderful ceremony and so happy it didn't rain.

I liked it. It is essentially the same ceremony but much quicker. If it was me, this is worth to be repeated. I liked it better at mediaeval Windsor with glorious green grass than at that big wide open sandy Horse Guards' Parade. But that is my personal opinion.

I liked it. It is essentially the same ceremony but much quicker. If it was me, this is worth to be repeated. I liked it better at mediaeval Windsor with glorious green grass than at that big wide open sandy Horse Guards' Parade. But that is my personal opinion.

Yes Windsor is a spectacular location for any sort of parade! Maybe they could repeat this every year on her actual birthday & have the traditional trooping in London as well.

Some highlights of this years Trooping the Colour at Windsor Castle

I thought how grand the welcome ceremony for the Emperor and Empress of Japan would have been in this surrounding ...

I thought how grand the welcome ceremony for the Emperor and Empress of Japan would have been in this surrounding ...

The castle is the preeminent British royal residence. State visits to Windsor are incomparable in their splendour.

Ceremonial events always look so impressive at Windsor Castle .

Sad the Prince of Wales did not attend !

That is true - but to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less who else attended today.
After all that has happened over the past months, good and bad, I saw my Queen being honoured by her Welsh Guards, for her 94th birthday, in the awe-inspiring surroundings of Windsor Castle, on a splendid June day!
It's hard to beat, and I really can't think of anything to complain about.

It was lovely to see something, even a scaled down version, happening when it was supposed to happen, and not being postponed or cancelled!

It was lovely to see something, even a scaled down version, happening when it was supposed to happen, and not being postponed or cancelled!

just watched a few mintutes and it seemed so cut down. I imagine Philip isn't up to being with the queen for these events any more, but it looked a bit like the queen was lost all there by herself.

Well, certainly a very different Trooping from what we're normally used to and hopefully it'll be the first and last time we'll experience a ceremony like this in our lifetimes! Nevertheless, HM looked as if she enjoyed herself despite her family not being by her side.

Wonderful selection I have to say The British Grenadier is my personal favourite.

Yes it's a great tune! Very hummable.:lol:

I thought the choice of the Auxiliary Territorial Service March was a lovely touch considering HM's wartime service.?

Certainly an unique year for Trooping. Hopefully an one time thing.

Still great hearing the music and being able to have some of the tradition.

Given that Philip, who was yards away inside Windsor Castle didn't attend I don't see the fuss that Charles didn't attend. I suspect they were simply keeping it as low key as possible and keeping in line with gov guidance that people shouldn't gather unnecessarily, possibly also they were trying to keep the Queen and her heir separate... just in case

The Queen look beautiful. She seems much happier with a smaller celebration.

Well, certainly a very different Trooping from what we're normally used to and hopefully it'll be the first and last time we'll experience a ceremony like this in our lifetimes! Nevertheless, HM looked as if she enjoyed herself despite her family not being by her side.

Unless there is a vaccine this could become the norm for all these sorts of events.

Until there is a vaccine, or a country has eliminated the virus and has closed borders, there is no way we can return to large gatherings without putting lives at risk.

NZ can have 20-30,000 at a football match because they have no virus and closed borders but most other countries can't do that and the UK could be still a year or more away from doing so.

For incoming state visits, am I right in thinking that the Windsor "welcome" usually takes place in town, followed by a carriage ride into the castle.

It was 100% the Queen's birthday public celebration and she loved it. That is what counts. I enjoyed the fact that it was about her and not the 100 media stories about who was standing where, what they were wearing and who didn't attend, which always takes away from the Queen's day. There is enough about all that garbage 364 days a year. Not needed on her day also. Actually she seemed to enjoy the sweet limelight for a change. She looked just radiant and happy. JMO

Court Circular 13th June:
Windsor Castle

Her Majesty was present at a Military Ceremony in the Quadrangle of Windsor Castle this morning to mark The Queen's Official Birthday at which The Queen's Colour of 1st Battalion Welsh Guards was Paraded, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Llewellyn-Usher (Commanding Officer, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards).

The Bands of the Guards Division played a selection of music during the Ceremony, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Simon Haw (Coldstream Guards, Commanding Officer, Bands of the Household Division).

It was 100% the Queen's birthday public celebration and she loved it. That is what counts. I enjoyed the fact that it was about her and not the 100 media stories about who was standing where, what they were wearing and who didn't attend, which always takes away from the Queen's day. There is enough about all that garbage 364 days a year. Not needed on her day also. Actually she seemed to enjoy the sweet limelight for a change. She looked just radiant and happy. JMO

Agreed. Honestly I preferred this way. Focus solely on her.

Back
Top Bottom