Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Louis definitely stole the show this year. He's such an amazing, happy child, huge kudos to his parents.

I wish we could see what everyone is wearing, not just senior royals!
I'd like to see a decent photo of Sophie Winkleman (her fashion choices are always interesting) or Lady Gabriella.

But I haven't seen any clear pictures at all.

The children all around were a highlight but I agree that’s too many people up there and No reason why obscure 3rd cousins most people can’t identify should be on the balcony. The party afterwords sure but it’s gotten out of hand IMO.

It is the Queen's birthday. They are the birthday girl's family. But it indeed looks crowded.

It's definitely too crowded in the middle & too many people on the sides. All the cousins etc could get a good view of the fly-past from the garden so they could still be at the lunch party. I couldn't even see Sophie on the balcony - was she up there?

Glad The BBC has decided to send the broadcast live on YouTube for the first time.

And as usual, it's presented by the 57-year-old Huw Edwards:
*Usually ''very'' pro-monarchy in his presenting-style.
*And now the main guy at the BBC when it comes to state-events, including some of The Diamond Jubilee and The 90th Birthday events, The Royal Weddings in 2011/2018 and The State Openings of Parliament.

I can't stand his presenting-style because he never shuts up & talks over all the music. Thankfully we can now mute him with the red button on the TV remote & have commentary-free coverage. My mother refers to her red button as 'the Huw Edwards button'. :lol:

Zenouska Mowatt attended and she looked stunning, she’s put pictures on Instagram but I can’t link them on my phone.

Lady Gabriella Kingston and Countess of Wessex looked nice.

Last edited:
It is the Queen's birthday. They are the birthday girl's family. But it indeed looks crowded.
I agree. The Queen's Gloucester and Kent cousins have been very supportive of her & the monarchy throughout her reign. Inviting their children & grandchildren to join her on the balcony is a nice gesture on her part. Not including them because it's too crowded and strangers can't identify them seems a little rude.

I can't stand his presenting-style because he never shuts up & talks over all the music. Thankfully we can now mute him with the red button on the TV remote & have commentary-free coverage. My mother refers to her red button as 'the Huw Edwards button'. :lol:
Well, that seems to be a thing with all commentators these days, talk, talk and talk.
The same in Norway and Denmark BTW.

I wonder do the windows to the right and left of the balcony open fully. The Kent and Gloucester families could maybe watch from there?
It’s a shame that the Sussex, York and Wessex families are all crowded in the centre and can’t really be seen.

Other than the key people and small children out in front how do they organize who stands where?

Other than the key people and small children out in front how do they organize who stands where?
I think it depends in whch row they came out. Obviously it is frst the Queen and Charles and then the other. And the Gloucesters and Kents etc. came out on the side doors.

Did anyone other than I think that Lady Louise looked very much like Aunt Anne today? And so darn grown up.

And James' new haircut is giving me great pleasure. It's styled!

I’d rather see the good old Kents and Gloucesters than those Yorks and Wessexes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d rather see the good old Kents and Gloucesters than those Yorks and Wessexes.

The Wessexes and the Yorks are a lot more closely related to the Queen than the Gloucesters and Kents, so if anyone gets the heave-ho from the balcony, it won't be them, at this point, anyway.

I wonder do the windows to the right and left of the balcony open fully. The Kent and Gloucester families could maybe watch from there?
It’s a shame that the Sussex, York and Wessex families are all crowded in the centre and can’t really be seen.

I agree they can't be seen. I'd prefer the Kents & Gloucesters to be in the garden (or at the windows as you suggest) & their balcony positions taken by the Queen's children & grandchildren. I'd have the Queen in the middle flanked either side by Charles & William (& families) then the Yorks to the side of Charles & the Sussexes beside William. Flanking the Yorks & Sussexes, I'd have the Wessexes & Princess Anne (& family). They'd have a better view & we'd have a better view of them. If only they'd let me move them around! :lol:

Some really precious moments from little Louis: from him clearly wanting to go with Daddy when they first came out (and ending up with him), to the clapping and waving, to the excitement at seeing his grandfather, he seemed to be having a great time. And I loved the little look at the end between Kate and William when he started waving at the crowd; it's that universal look between parents when their kid is funny and adorable at the same time.

Charlotte and Louis both looked like they were having a lot of fun.

I love seeing all of the kids on the balcony in the family. Best part of the event.

But yes they need to find a way to spread out the main family members. The Yorks were barely seen crowded behind others.

I liked the Phillips girls keeping time with their hands to the Marching :) George looked out of sorts today though poor thing .

Can't get enough of Prince Louis! Catherine and William look so proud. Us it's too cute when Louis reaches for his daddy.

Back
Top Bottom