Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looked like it was a very happy and relaxed Trooping today; despite the fact that they were waving to a balcony to thousands, the Windsors seemed like every other family in regards to their interactions and characters. It was particularly lovely to see the warm exchanges between Charles and Meghan as well as Catherine and Meghan. It seems that Meghan is really close to her father-in-law, which is nice to see. I did feel rather sorry for HM being on her own; but she seems to have taken the occasion in her stride as she was still her happy, smiling self. Just as a queen would ?
My most favourite moments from today were, of course, from the children - Savannah was just priceless, she definitely stole the show! George is probably planning ways he can get his own back on his cousin at the next family event as we speak :D I noticed Isla pretending to salute in a couple of photos as well which was also cute. I hope poor little Charlotte is alright after almost falling from the balcony, I'm always worried about security and the young children since the balcony is so high for them.
I guess the Snowdons and Chattos don't attend anymore? Really nice to see the Duchess of Kent joining the family as well.

Glad it wasn't Joseph Wenzel, as he is 3rd-in-line of the "Jacobite" claim to the throne of the Uk. Meaning he would inherit if Parliament had not decided to favour the protestant line following the Electress Sophie of Hanover but the catholic, more senior line of her first cousin Henrietta Ann Stuart of England and Scotland, daughter of Charles I and thus closer to the throne than her aunt Elisabeth Stuart, daughter of James I. of England/VI. of Scotland, who was the mother of the Electress Sophie.

This senior, but disregarded by Parliament, line ends today with The Duke of Bavaria. As he has no children, his brother Max is 1st-in-line, then Max' eldest daughter Sophia, herediary princess by marriage to the Liechtenstein throne (as wife of prince Alois) as second-in-line and after her her eldest son Johann Wenzel, who is set to become souverqain prince of Liechtenstein one day. Alas, the family is not interested in claiming the British throne.

Plus, the British are not interested in their claiming the throne either. The so-called claimants appear to be sensible and realistic enough to know that this is a complete non-issue except for a tiny number of obsessive nobodies. 99.999999% of the British population have no idea a "Jacobite" claim even exists, let alone that a prince they've never heard of in a country they've never heard of is 3rd in line.

These Lichtenstein princes have sworn allegiance to QEII, her heirs and successors in order to serve in the British Army. Clearly they don't take this whole idea of claiming the British throne seriously either.

The whole balcony scene :

That is a third different angle. I mean different both from the BBC broadcast and the Time livestream. In this particular shot, it is Camilla who is barely visible (and, to a lesser extent, Meghan). Charles can be seen, even when Kate is carrying Charlotte, which was not the case in the Time livestream.

It is really fascinating how the same (theoretically objective) reality can change completely depending on point of view.

Last edited:
a tiny number of obsessive nobodies

For about a week I stuck at being in a Facebook group of DIEHARD Jacobite supporters [having been 'added' by a slight acquaintance] - NOTHING can adequately convey the vacuity of their conversation and the strangeness of their manner.
ENDLESS re-hashing of lost Battles, bitter tirades against 'the usurpation' and REALLY poisonous characterisation of members of the current 'Ruling House', with bile especially directed against HMQ, and her religious Faith..

There was NO reasoning with them [about ANYTHING] so I buzzed off !

BBC articles:
Trooping the Colour: Royals join Queen at birthday parade - BBC
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have joined the Queen for the Trooping the Colour parade to mark her 92nd birthday.

Prince Harry and his new wife Meghan, who married last month, arrived as part of the carriage procession.

Prince Philip, who retired from royal duties last year, did not attend the military parade. He turns 97 on Sunday.

Field Marshal Lord Guthrie fell from his horse during the parade and has been taken to hospital.

Lord Guthrie, 79, is the former head of the Army and then Chief of Defence Staff, the UK's most senior military officer.

Meanwhile, a 51-year-old woman has been arrested for a public order offence after an item was thrown towards the procession.

She is currently in custody at a central London police station, the Met Police said.

A bit about Field Marshal Lord Guthrie, who fell of the horse:
Field Marshal Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank is a former SAS commander who was head of the British Army until 1997 and then chief of defence staff until 2001.

Born in 1938, Lord Guthrie attended military training college in Sandhurst and went on to serve with the Welsh Guards in Cyprus, Germany and Northern Ireland.

During his time with the SAS he served in Aden, the Gulf, Malaysia and East Africa.

As commander of the Hong Kong British forces he played a high-profile role in Britain's withdrawal from Hong Kong in June 1997.

Trooping the Colour: Guardsman first to wear turban - BBC
A Coldstream Guards soldier has become the first to wear a turban during the Trooping the Colour parade.

About 1,000 soldiers took part in the ceremony marking the Queen's official birthday.

Guardsman Charanpreet Singh Lall, 22, a Sikh from Leicester, said he hoped it was looked upon as a "change in history".

He said he expected it would encourage those from different religions and backgrounds to join the Army.

--------------------

ITV article with photos of previous balcony appearances:
How does 2018's royal balcony appearance compare with those through the ages? - ITV
As the newlywed Duke and Duchess of Sussex made their first appearance on the Buckingham Palace balcony together, here’s a look at some of the historic royal balcony moments over the years.

Harry made his own debut on the famous frontage of the Queen’s London residence at a Trooping the Colour celebration in 1985.

--------------------

Sky News article:
Meghan makes balcony debut at Trooping the Colour - Sky News
Trooping the Colour marks the Queen's official birthday. Her actual birthday is in April, when she turned 92.

The event stems from the traditional preparations for battle.

Colours, or flags, were carried, "trooped" down the rank to be seen and recognised by the soldiers.

In the 18th century, guards from the royal palaces would assemble daily, on Horse Guards, to troop the colours. The parade first marked the sovereign's official birthday in 1748.

--------------------

Telegraph article:
Trooping the Colour: Royal youngsters steal the show on Buckingham Palace balcony - Telegraph
The youngest members of the Royal family stole the show on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, as they giggled, gasped and waved through a Trooping the Colour flypast.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte joined Savannah and Isla Phillips at the front of the balcony, watched indulgently by the Queen as they larked about in front of the crowds.

Savannah, seven, appeared unimpressed by her cousin Prince George's noises during the national anthem, clamping her hand firmly over his mouth to keep him quiet.

------------------

The entire BBC broadcast:

Trooping the Colour 2003-2018

Zenouska Mowatt has put up some beautiful behind the scenes pictures!

Her Majesty's Racing Manager has revealed that the 92-year-old stayed up until the early hours to watch her horse race in a prestigious race in America - and it won!

Last edited:
Plus, the British are not interested in their claiming the throne either. The so-called claimants appear to be sensible and realistic enough to know that this is a complete non-issue except for a tiny number of obsessive nobodies. 99.999999% of the British population have no idea a "Jacobite" claim even exists, let alone that a prince they've never heard of in a country they've never heard of is 3rd in line.

These Lichtenstein princes have sworn allegiance to QEII, her heirs and successors in order to serve in the British Army. Clearly they don't take this whole idea of claiming the British throne seriously either.

Technically, they would not be claiming the British throne, but rather the separate thrones of England and Scotland as, from the Jacobite perspective, the Act of Union, as all other post-1688 legislation, would be invalid.

It would be lovely to continue this discussion in the proper forum, but I guess my opinion is that the Jacobite claim was somewhat strong while there were still living descendants of James II. Once that line was extinct, the claim faded as other theoretical Jacobite pretenders thereafter were really foreign princes/princesses with no connection whatsoever to England or Scotland. In that sense, there is a clear "vice de pérégrinité" in the same sense that there is one with the Bourbon descendants of King Philip V of Spain (whether you accept the Treaty of Utrecht or not).

Of course, from the point of view of British constitutional history, the fact that the British parliament could pick the 56th in line to throne to be king, by-passing all others on a religious test set out in law, was a clear statement of parliamentary sovereignty taking precedence even over the birthright (a.k.a "divine right") of the kings.

Last edited:
I’m curious about who some of the other people on the balcony were. The teenage girls with dark hair must be Lady Helen Windsor’s daughters Eloise and Estella. At a guess the boys in the sailor suits are Albert and Leopold Windsor. The boy in the glasses is possibly Xan Windsor, Lord Culloden, and the blonde girl is his sister Lady Cosima. Is the younger girl a cousin of Xan and Cosima, possibly Lyla Gilman?

I agree with most of your guesses, but I think you have Cosima and Lyla reversed. I think Cosima is brunette with bangs.

And I think the two young women on the right side of the balcony (near Lady Helen) are Zenouska Mowatt (pink striped dress)and Flora Ogilvy (pale pink, large cream hat).

Last edited:
I cant find Duchess anywhere in the photos but I think one of her daughters is beside Tim Lawrence and her husband is between the Michaels of Kent.

Be interested in whether anyone thinks that's right

I agree with you--Lady Rose Gilman and her husband George. I think the little blondish girl (without bangs) with one of Lord Nicholas's sons is their daughter Lyla.
I couldn't find the Duchess of Gloucester either.

Did anyone see Princess Alexandra? I found her son James, daughter-in-law Julia and granddaughters Flora and Zenouska and grandson Alexander on the balcony.

Last edited:
Zara could be giving birth... and if not, it will surely happen soon.

Mia is always so cute and entertaining.
Zara will probably give birth after June 21st (summerbaby).
Princess Madeleine of Sweden was still in charge two days before giving birth to Prince Nicolas

Does the royal family have lunch together at some point during the day of Trooping the Color? I just wondered since that is one of the few times of year they are all together.

I've wondered that too, especially for the children and grandchildren and their offspring. I think it would be a bit much to have the whole extended family sitting down to a meal, but it is after all lunch time when the whole thing finishes.

I wondered about that too...and then figured it makes sense that they would all go sit down and have lunch together afterwards.

LaRae

Fair enough all points made about the people that were ON the balcony...

What about the people that were down, on the road and the mall..? Did the crowd seem smaller than other years, or is it just my impression??

Mia is always so cute and entertaining.
Zara will probably give birth after June 21st (summerbaby).
Princess Madeleine of Sweden was still in charge two days before giving birth to Prince Nicolas

The 'due in summer' was based on speculation from when she announced.

Not every woman is as up to events right before popping. Madeleine may have thought her brother's wedding too important to miss. And since she was in Stockholm for the birth, she didn't have to travel either.

Zara lives at Gatcombe (or rumors suggest she lives at her father's property Aston farm). As much as she loves her grandmother, traveling all the way to London when ready to pop, likely wasn't high on her list. Unlike a wedding, trooping happens every year (and isn't her grandmother's actual birthday). Traveling 2 hours in a car, at 9 months pregnant, to appear on a balcony for a few minutes, would not appeal to many people at this stage.

This year, @TheDukeOfYork rode for the first time at Trooping in his role as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards. HRH rode on a horse from the Royal Mews called Elizabeth.

The Duke of York will be riding Elizabeth, the previous mount of The Princess Royal.

The Duke has prepared for #TroopingTheColour by riding both at Windsor Castle and during two parades in London. Before this, the last time HRH rode was in Argentina in 1992!

Zenouska Mowatt
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjzzyhTAGXY/?taken-by=zenouska1

Fair enough all points made about the people that were ON the balcony...

What about the people that were down, on the road and the mall..? Did the crowd seem smaller than other years, or is it just my impression??

I think part of it may just have been that the crowds were kept back down the Mall for longer due to the Lord Guthrie incident. He fell right where the public would stand and it seems the police did not let people walk up the mall to the Palace until he was moved. As such we saw that as the Royals came out on the balcony people were still filling up by the Victoria Memorial, usually they are well in place before the Queen and Royals appear. I suspect they were left with two choices either
a) wait for the public to be in place as usual which would mean the Queen and royals would miss part of the fly past or the fly past would have to be delayed (actually almost impossible to do so late on)
b) The Queen and Royals head out in time for the fly past as the public are still filling up in front of the Palace.

Thats not saying there weren't less people than other years, I just don't think we can compare like for like photos this time.

I've wondered that too, especially for the children and grandchildren and their offspring. I think it would be a bit much to have the whole extended family sitting down to a meal, but it is after all lunch time when the whole thing finishes.

Does the royal family have lunch together at some point during the day of Trooping the Color? I just wondered since that is one of the few times of year they are all together.

I wondered about that too...and then figured it makes sense that they would all go sit down and have lunch together afterwards.

LaRae

Zenouska Mowatt posted pictures on her instagram of a family lunch afterwards in a marquee in what I presume was BP. :flowers:

I don't understand. Normally the Duc and the Duchess of Gloucester have "preseance " on the Kents.
Again the first minor Royal next to Princess Anne 's husband : Princess Michael of Kent!

I think its because of what we saw was a family gathering with no set precedence on the balcony. There weren't any "set" places for people to be and people went where they found a spot. Only ones front and center as a rule is HM, The Queen and the kids so they could see everything and not be blocked by the "big people" in front of them.

I don't understand. Normally the Duc and the Duchess of Gloucester have "preseance " on the Kents.
Again the first minor Royal next to Princess Anne 's husband : Princess Michael of Kent!

There's no precedence per se on the balcony, or at least a very informal one (Queen + senior royals centre stage, the "rest" where they can find a spot).

A buffet lunch is offered in the Centre room

I don't think the balcony appearance follows strict precedence, except the Queen, the Cambridges and the Prince of Wales being front and center (not quite the case for the PoW this year though). For all the rest, including apparently the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, it seems to be rather random. Of course, the children are given a "precedence" of their own in terms of being in front.

The Gloucesters and the Kents seem to try to conform to precedence moving to the left or right sides and leaving the central section for the direct descendants of Queen Elizabeth II, but among themselves, there doesn't seem to be any particular order of arrival or positioning either.

Personally, I think it is too many people to be on the balcony at the same time. There is no need for the entire extended family to come out with the "Mountbatten-Windsors". Yes, technically, from the patrilineal point of view, they are at least two different families, if not several different families if you count the Phillips, or the Mowatts, or the Gilmans, etc. as separate families from both the Windsors (male-line descendants of George V) and the Mountbatten-Windsors (male-line descendants of Prince Philip).

Last edited:
sons/ grandsons of what (grand-) parents?

Xan Windsor is grandson to The Duke of Gloucester, his father is Alexander, Earl of Ulster.

Albert and Leopold are grandsons of The Duke of Kent, their father is Lord Nicholas Windsor.

Xan Windsor is grandson to The Duke of Gloucester, his father is Alexander, Earl of Ulster.

Albert and Leopold are grandsons of The Duke of Kent, their father is Lord Nicholas Windsor.

Which really begs the question: where does the "Royal Family" end ?

Back
Top Bottom