Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was the Queen's birthday. She stands in the center because the focus should be on her.

William took the focus off the Queen and made it about himself and his son.

If William stood where he usually stood then there would have been less photographs of him.

If William did not want the extra attention why change George's outfit so it matched William's first balcony appearance?

Yes, George would have received the attention but not as much if he had kept the same outfit that he was wearing with his nanny and stood in William's usual spot and not stood next to the Queen.

The media would have been taken to task if their photographs were mostly of William and George. It was after all the official birthday of the monarch.

The clothes change and the standing next to the Queen speaks volumes.

only to some. Anyways Lovely pics. Can't wait until the longest reign celebrations next year.

It was the Queen's birthday. She stands in the center because the focus should be on her.

I'm not exactly a fan of William and Catherine but George's first balcony appearance would make him the centre of attention (at least for the media and for many others) no matter when it occurred.

There are limited opportunities for the royal family to be on the balcony so it was always going to be when someone else should be the focus of attention be it the Queen on an official birthday or jubilee celebration, Charles on succession or coronation to Harry on marriage.

Frankly, as the Queen has an official birthday every year and the balcony appearance is routine, I'd rather the focus be on him now rather then a unique occasion such as the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, Charles' coronation or Harry's wedding day.

I really don't get where anyone can say that William was deliberately trying to upstage the Queen and even wishing to dominate over all for the attention. These things are pretty well planned out in advance and I would bet my last HoHo that the grouping with the monarch and 3 future kings together was deliberate and what better way to accentuate that grouping than to have George wear an outfit that his dad and his grandfather had worn before him? The clue that gives this all away is that obviously KP was advised of this ahead of time and tweeted it to one and all.

I think we need to realize that these people are a family and they work together, play together (as we've seen of some of the family at polo) and all of them dearly love Granny. These are not people that are fighting their way up a corporate ladder somewhere stepping on toes whenever they can.

If William stood where he usually stood then there would have been less photographs of him.

If William did not want the extra attention why change George's outfit so it matched William's first balcony appearance?

Yes, George would have received the attention but not as much if he had kept the same outfit that he was wearing with his nanny and stood in William's usual spot and not stood next to the Queen.

The media would have been taken to task if their photographs were mostly of William and George. It was after all the official birthday of the monarch.

If you watch the video you will see that Charles came out before William and so he moved aside to allow for William to be in position next to The Queen. It wasn't William pushing his way in but Charles allowing him there deliberately.

The next question is 'why would Charles do that?'

1. He wanted to have his son and grandson standing between him and The Queen so that the photo of the four monarchs together on the balcony could be taken.

2. He stood where the Queen told him to stand so that she could have her grandson and great-grand-son next to her for her great-grand-son's first appearance.

3. William is so intimidating both his father and grandmother that he is calling the shots on who stands where.

Having answered that question (and either #1 or #2 work for me while #3 is rubbish imo) the next question is why change George?

1. To have him wear the same outfit that William wore as a sign of continuity.

2. To demand attention from The Queen on George's first balcony appearance ever.

As #2 would happen whenever it happened #1 makes more sense.

If The Queen didn't want George to upstage her on the balcony she would simply have refused to allow him to be taken out there but as she knows that the public want to see George and see him on the balcony she isn't so insecure in her place in the family that she minds when her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren do things.

Nothing happened in that central part of the balcony of which Her Majesty didn't approve. She knows what is happening and would also have been involved in the planning of that appearance.

:previous: Well, if the clothes were mothballed, someone kept them and for this very reason I think.

Someone directed these clothes be aired and given to William and Catherine, in the hopes, I imagine, that exactly what happened would happen.

Just think, someone stored these clothes for 30 odd years and they magically reappear for George's first appearance on the balcony just as has happened with the clothes he wore with Charlotte.

You can't tell me that the first thing William went looking for when he married were his own baby clothes, even if he knew they had been stored away for him.

That is quite a perspective :flowers:

I think you're looking into it A BIT too much ...

Was HRH Princess Pushy on a nice place on the balcony this year to be seen as always.

I rarely say anything about hats (unless I like them) but ;) I just must: Catherine's hat. :sad: Not only is it one of those dreaded fascinators, it is (like someone said) looking like a big plastic picnic plate :huh: with an antenna on it, no less. :blink: The result being that you always could see where Catherine was. Antenna an inspired addition, as it turns out, since she was positioned behind the Queen. (I think William was suppose to be a tad closer to Charles so that Catherine could stand beside William unobstructed. As it stood, Catherine had to crane her head into the tableau, as did Harry). My two cents. :p

... The result being that you always could see where Catherine was. Antenna an inspired addition, as it turns out, since she was positioned behind the Queen. (I think William was suppose to be a tad closer to Charles so that Catherine could stand beside William unobstructed. As it stood, Catherine had to crane her head into the tableau, as did Harry). My two cents. :p
It will be interesting over time and this new family relaxes a bit, to see how they line up and approach the balcony appearance thing.
Kate helicoptered this year, IMHO. And I understand that it was George's first time, and that they are a very strong family unit and that as parents they are proud. And as the photographers evidence, there is a reason for that. The majority of the interest was on that family tableau.
It's always cute to see kids on the balcony: James making goggle eyes or a bridesmaid scowling with hands over ears are memorable and adorable. I personally hope the George-o-mania dies down a bit and that we can get back to important things, like talking about all the ladies hats on the balcony. :lol:;)

I did watch the video that Molly2101 posted and it clearly shows that Louise was headed towards the open spot.

Watch the video. Pay attention to Louise and follow Louise. She comes out then walks behinds where Philip is standing then behind James and was heading towards the empty spot but the video cut and shows the audience. The next time it shows the RF on the balcony Louise is near Beatrice.

The empty spot was for Louise that is why there wasn't enough room for Kate.

William pushed aside an eleven year old.

I did watch the video that Molly2101 posted and it clearly shows that Louise was headed towards the open spot.

Watch the video. Pay attention to Louise and follow Louise. She comes out then walks behinds where Philip is standing then behind James and was heading towards the empty spot but the video cut and shows the audience. The next time it shows the RF on the balcony Louise is near Beatrice.

Oh, good lord, you're just having hallucinations at this point, and I think you're enjoying them. It can clearly be seen that Louise has taken her spot on the balcony while William is still coming through the doorway. Louise came out on the balcony ahead of everyone, apart from the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, and James. I'm sure Louise was instructed on where she should stand, Charles would have no reason to leave an empty spot for her when she was already standing somewhere else. I realize all of that is probably too boring for the storyline you're trying to go with.

What on earth are you talking about ? :eek::eek:

William the Balcony Conqueror

Gosh, how inefficient and wimpy that William is. With his superior height and his youth, he could have rolled all those elderly and small royals down like a row of candlepins. Michael and Pushy, you're outta here! Louise and James, begone, ya rug rats! Harry, herd Andy and his girls to the rear. Catherine, wear a much bigger hat next year-Granny got too much attention. Gramps, you look a little weary- go inside and take a seat. And papparazzi- look at MEEEEEEEEE!

I hadn't read this thread too carefully- didn't realize it had become so hilarious.

ROFL! I love it....William the Balcony Conqueror....

Gosh, how inefficient and wimpy that William is. With his superior height and his youth, he could have rolled all those elderly and small royals down like a row of candlepins. Michael and Pushy, you're outta here! Louise and James, begone, ya rug rats! Harry, herd Andy and his girls to the rear. Catherine, wear a much bigger hat next year-Granny got too much attention. Gramps, you look a little weary- go inside and take a seat. And papparazzi- look at MEEEEEEEEE!

I hadn't read this thread too carefully- didn't realize it had become so hilarious.

:lol:

I'm envisioning William elbowing his way to the center of the balcony, and then holding George up over the edge, Lion King-style.

STOP!!! I'm gonna end up with water out my nose!!!

LaRae

If you watch the video you will see that Charles came out before William and so he moved aside to allow for William to be in position next to The Queen. It wasn't William pushing his way in but Charles allowing him there deliberately.

The next question is 'why would Charles do that?'

1. He wanted to have his son and grandson standing between him and The Queen so that the photo of the four monarchs together on the balcony could be taken.

2. He stood where the Queen told him to stand so that she could have her grandson and great-grand-son next to her for her great-grand-son's first appearance.

3. William is so intimidating both his father and grandmother that he is calling the shots on who stands where.

Having answered that question (and either #1 or #2 work for me while #3 is rubbish imo) the next question is why change George?

1. To have him wear the same outfit that William wore as a sign of continuity.

2. To demand attention from The Queen on George's first balcony appearance ever.

As #2 would happen whenever it happened #1 makes more sense.

If The Queen didn't want George to upstage her on the balcony she would simply have refused to allow him to be taken out there but as she knows that the public want to see George and see him on the balcony she isn't so insecure in her place in the family that she minds when her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren do things.

Nothing happened in that central part of the balcony of which Her Majesty didn't approve. She knows what is happening and would also have been involved in the planning of that appearance.

Again, ambiguity over William's and his father's relative positions in the royal house, when there should be none (as the law is very clear about who the heir apparent is).

Again, ambiguity over William's and his father's relative positions in the royal house, when there should be none (as the law is very clear about who the heir apparent is).

There is no ambiguity over William and Prince Charles' positions in the royal family. William took the place intended for a child. He did not push his father over. He took a spot vacated for a child so that she could stand next to her grandmother.

If Louise's parents were present then the spot would not have been vacant and Charles would have been standing next to the Queen.

I... I suppose it takes all types in this world.

Maybe we're all wrong and she's right. Maybe Balcony Gate will be the downfall of the monarchy.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

...And I thought I've seen it all, but I was wrong. I've watched the video, and no one pushed anyone out of the way. I'm sure if that spot was for Louise, she would have been able to stand there, but clearly, it wasn't the case. Not a big deal. She was still in the front, and could see what was going on. Also, why would anyone, William included be so rude as to push a child out of the way? It happens in NYC almost always, but New Yorkers can be special kind of rude sometimes...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Y'know, I'm sure that if there was any kind of pushing and shoving where pushing and shoving shouldn't be for that balcony appearance, I'm sure it would have made the front page of the Daily Mail or some other gossip pushing tabloid out there. These people stay up late at night figuring out ways to build a mountain out of a molehill and none of them saw anything amiss in the positions on the balcony.

As its been said many times before, its all planned out who goes where before they even step through the doors so everything was just as it was supposed to be.

I did watch the video - Louise followed Philip but she was also positioned beside him BEFORE Charles and Camilla are in position as Camilla is still moving to the right of Charles while Louise has moved to the left of Philip. In other words Louise was NOT supposed to be in that spot at all. Her spot was clear and she went to the place for her - next to her grandfather while James was between his grandparents. Louise was the 4th person onto the balcony with Charles and Camilla coming out behind her and moving in the opposite direction to where she was going. William and George came out even later and are directed into the available position with Louise clearly having followed her grandfather and taken her position beside him having always headed in that direction.

What are you talking about? From viewing video, William and the baby are at least 3-4 feet from Louise, so he leapt over his wife to push his 11-yr-old niece out of the way??

At 2:28:51 Louise turns around to look at Charles.
At 2:28:56 Louise is standing next to her brother.
At 2:28:57 The video cut to the crowd.

When the video returns to the RF Louise is moving into the space near Beatrice.

Is there another video without the cut to the crowd? The only videos I have seen show the same thing.

Last edited:
Do the royals really have assigned places to stand or is it not just find a spot and stand there?

Seriously, clearly there is some expectation that the Queen is centre with the most immediate family around her but I can imagine people have 'spots' where they have to be.

IMO people are over analysing the whole thing and putting to much reasoning behind spontaneous actions.

Edit, now video is added - and if we are going to overanalyse, Louise walks out and heads to her left and sticks to that side while William & Catherine head centre then turn right. Louise is nowhere really near them the entire time. So how does William push her out the way?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom