Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I watched Trooping the Colour ( like every year:D) on TV, i think it is the BBC boadcast ( with german comments). But when the two carriges with members of the Royal Family arrived at Horseguards Parade the BBC didn´t sent a pic of the Royals but showed for half a minute Tony Blair and his wife sitting in the audience....
So i couldn´t see a pic of Prince William and Camilla live in the carrige live...:ohmy:

But now i could enjoy all the nice photos you posted! Thank´s a lot to all of you!:flowers:

It is so rare to see Eugenie so upfront, she always ives me the impression she is umcomfortable with cameras around her unlike her sister. I loved seein her in the middle of the balcony. I hope this girl will blossom and give us a surprise. I used to like Beatrice a lot, but now I think she is a mini me of her mother, who is not my favorite person

I watched Trooping the Colour ( like every year:D) on TV, i think it is the BBC boadcast ( with german comments). But when the two carriges with members of the Royal Family arrived at Horseguards Parade the BBC didn´t sent a pic of the Royals but showed for half a minute Tony Blair and his wife sitting in the audience....
So i couldn´t see a pic of Prince William and Camilla live in the carrige live...:ohmy:

But now i could enjoy all the nice photos you posted! Thank´s a lot to all of you!:flowers:

Trooping the Colour, celebrating Quen Elizabeth's Birthday. Horse Guards - Buckingham Palace, 16 th June 2007

Courtesy RoyalPress Europe/Albert Nieboer.
:flowers:

It is so rare to see Eugenie so upfront, she always ives me the impression she is umcomfortable with cameras around her unlike her sister. I loved seein her in the middle of the balcony. I hope this girl will blossom and give us a surprise. I used to like Beatrice a lot, but now I think she is a mini me of her mother, who is not my favorite person

HRH the Princess Eugenie is indeed the wonderful surprise of the party! She really seems to have stepped out of her shell on this occassion and I hope, like you, that she will continue to bloom and blossom.

I think Eugenie's red band looks like a Kabbalah wristband.

Was Lady Linley at Trooping the Colour?

Last edited by a moderator:

In the other years the show mostly all the carriages leaving Buckingham Palace not only the one with the Queen. And why can the not show the carriage-procession and have to blend in something other. What i miss to is that they never show the Windwos of the Horse Guards Building where the other mebers of the Family are staning.

You could have knocked me over with a toothpick when I saw Prince William and the Duchess in the same carriage!

Why? It's happened several times before.

I think Eugenie's red band looks like a Kabbalah wristband.
It is indeed a Kabbalah band. Are we seeing a conversion to Judaism in the Royal Family or is a young lady making a fool of herself?

Last edited:
Why? It's happened several times before.

It is indeed a Kabbalah band. Are we seeing a conversion to Judaism in the Royal Family or is a young lady making a fool of herself?
What she is wearing is far too thick to be a kabbalah red string (which by definition is made of a single string). It looks more like a Buddhist protective 'charm' (one of my former roommate was a Buddhist and wore it that way), but she is wearing it in the wrong wrist so I'll just go for the most obvious explanation: it's just a piece of funky jewelry.

I think it is simply a fashion piece. I very much doubt it means anything :)

In the other years the show mostly all the carriages leaving Buckingham Palace not only the one with the Queen. And why can the not show the carriage-procession and have to blend in something other. What i miss to is that they never show the Windwos of the Horse Guards Building where the other mebers of the Family are staning.
Yah, Stefan i agree. On Horse Guards Building, i only saw pictures of the main royals such as DoC, Prince William, Prince Andrew and the York girls. But when on the balcony of Buckingham Palace we saw more Royals such as the Kents and Gloucesters. On the British Royal Website, it was said that "...other members of the Royal Family drove to Horse Guards Parade..."so how did the other Royals get there, of course not in the carriage?

Yah, Stefan i agree. On Horse Guards Building, i only saw pictures of the main royals such as DoC, Prince William, Prince Andrew and the York girls. But when on the balcony of Buckingham Palace we saw more Royals such as the Kents and Gloucesters. On the British Royal Website, it was said that "...other members of the Royal Family drove to Horse Guards Parade..."so how did the other Royals get there, of course not in the carriage?

In buses and cars The where probably inside but you can not see it as the Camera never shows this Windows or so short that you can not notice it. It was also told that at the end of the parade the wait a little bit before the Queen droves back so that the other Royals can come back to Buckingham palace, because when the Queen has arrived there the Parade continues there and the other Royals have no chance to come back in the Palace.

Wow wow royal family on balcony and Queen Elizabeth is elegant green dress!!! Many royal family on balcony to relatives Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. His children and grandchildren, Princess Margarets children and grandchildren, Princess Alice of Cloucesters his children and grandchildren. Cousin Prince of Kent to Queen Elizabeth with his family.Wow wow elegant all royal family dress!

I was at trooping the colour this year, after Her Majesty departed horse guards it took about 15mins before the Royal Standard was removed, bad protocol i presume or is this permissable

About normal, it is not taken down the instant she leaves, military protocals also have to be observed. :)

About normal, it is not taken down the instant she leaves, military protocals also have to be observed. :)

I was under the illusion that the Royal Standard was only flown to denote the Sovereign's presence and since she had departed the standard should have been removed immediatly?

I was under the illusion that the Royal Standard was only flown to denote the Sovereign's presence and since she had departed the standard should have been removed immediatly?
It has to be taken down with 'all due honour and respect', they can't just stuff it in a carrier bag once HM has 'left the stage'. As with BP, there is a delay between HM leaving and the standard being lowered.

However, the standard orderly is still able to strike the standard once Her Majesty has been farewelled.

On the occasion of Her Majesty visiting Australia in March 2006, I was exacerbated to note that HM Queen Elizabeth II's Personal Standard for Australia was flying above the entrance to the Royal Exhibition Building Melbourne (which is merely a doorway), while the torn remains of the Australian National Flag was flying at the top-most pole above the dome of the building. Not only should the standard not have been flown at that time (I arrived to see it more than an hour before the arrival of Her Majesty), but it was not even being flown in the correct position, nor is it correct to fly the standard and the ANF simultaneously.

The point I'm trying to make is that the protocol associated with the Royal Standard and flags in general, is all too often not observed correctly.

I am certain the standard was lowered by those concerned, correctly. :rolleyes:

Skydragon,
The military protocols you referred to expressly direct that a personal standard remain displayed only for the duration that, the person it represents is in the immediate area. As Her Majesty had departed the parade ground in the phaeton leading the infantry and cavalry units of the Household Division, leaving only the parade ground markers, the Royal standard ought to have been lowered.

Last edited:
The military protocols you referred to expressly direct that a personal standard remain displayed only for the duration that, the person it represents is in the immediate area. As Her Majesty had departed the parade ground, the standard ought to have been lowered following the farewell (the Royal salute).
As you know, the royal salute is taken as the procession arrives, not at the end. I understand the normal time for the removal of the royal standard at any Queens Birthday Parade (TtC) is between 8 & 15 minutes. They acted correctly and within the rules and regulations used by the armed forces.

As you know, the royal salute is taken as the procession arrives, not at the end. I understand the normal time for the removal of the royal standard at any Queens Birthday Parade (TtC) is between 8 & 15 minutes. They acted correctly and within the rules and regulations used by the armed forces.

The Queen is also given a Royal Salute at the end of the parade.

The Queen is also given a Royal Salute at the end of the parade.
There is only one Royal Salute given during the ceremony, that is at the beginning, although there is a second salute, which is called the general salute.

There is only one Royal Salute given during the ceremony, that is at the beginning, although there is a second salute, which is called the general salute.

There is a second royal salute. The Queen cannot be given a general salute, ever. The colours are given a general salute in the middle of the parade. Before the Queen departs, there is a second Royal Salute. The parade commander can clearly be heard ordering "Guards. Royal Salute. Present Arms" twice during the parade, at the beginning and at the end.

There is a second royal salute. The Queen cannot be given a general salute, ever. The colours are given a general salute in the middle of the parade. Before the Queen departs, there is a second Royal Salute. The parade commander can clearly be heard ordering "Guards. Royal Salute. Present Arms" twice during the parade, at the beginning and at the end.
You are correct when you say that if the monarch is present all salutes are royal salutes, however there is only one that is The Royal Salute at the Trooping.
Trooping The Colour
...it's Traditional : Trooping the Colour
Trooping the Colour Photos 12 June 2004 - HM The Queens Birthday - RAF Flypast by Joe Bridge
Trooping of the Colour - 1st 4 London Guide - Royal London
Royal Insight > Out and About > Trooping the Colour
perhaps these, many other sites and Officers present at the ceremony got it wrong. :ohmy:

Last edited:
None of those websites state that there is only one salute referred to as "the" Royal Salute though, so none of them are wrong. They all just state that she is greeted with "a" royal salute. The first link given refers to the salute at the end of the parade as "the" royal salute as well. There is no monopoly on royal salutes, it can be given as often as is needed. Every time a salute is given to the monarch, a member of the royal family with the style of Royal Highness, or one of the Queen's representatives (Governor, Governor-General, Lt. Governor, etc.), it is a royal salute. The royal salute given when the Queen arrives is no different than the one when she leaves.

The Royal Salute at the Trooping parade is when all the personel present arms together, not every time an officer salutes HM. That is why it is phrased that HM takes the royal salute, the royal salute you are referring to 'on return to BP', is the tune. The assembled troops present arms and The Royal Salute is again played, that is why it is only mentioned once on the Royal Insight page.

Amazon.co.uk: The Royal Salute: Music: Anonymous,Thomas Arne,Sir Edward Elgar,George Frideric Handel,Colin J Reeves,Life Guard Band

Believe what you will :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I know it isn't every time the Queen is saluted by an officer. I'm referring to the time that troops present arms together just before the Queen leaves (I think I may have been unclear when I said "on return", I meant "before return"), in identical form to when she arrives. It happens at the beginning and the end. Nearly all military parades begin and end with the reviewing officer taking the salute, as the Queen does at the birthday parade.

Last edited:
In buses and cars The where probably inside but you can not see it as the Camera never shows this Windows or so short that you can not notice it. It was also told that at the end of the parade the wait a little bit before the Queen droves back so that the other Royals can come back to Buckingham palace, because when the Queen has arrived there the Parade continues there and the other Royals have no chance to come back in the Palace.

Having been present in The Mall several years to watch the parade of Trooping the Colour, I can tell you that the various "other" royals arrive & leave by car (before the carriage parade) - and it's nice to get the occasional picture or returned wave. :flowers:

Nearly all military parades begin and end with the reviewing officer taking the salute, as the Queen does at the birthday parade.
The reviewing officer only takes the salute once at the majority of parades. These are just some of the MOD sites stating one salute.
JNCO Cadre 2005
Royal Engineers - 23 Engineer Regiment - Reformation
old comrades parade
We seem to be straying further and further from the thread title.

The 2007 Trooping the Colour was enjoyed by a lot of people, lets hope HM manages a few more and lets wish next year that the rain holds off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom