The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #281  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
William is an officer training with the RAF - Harry is an Officer training with the Army Air Corp.
Thanks Sky I still cannot get over how much of a spitting image of The Queen at a young age Lady Louise is, especially seeing her now without a hat.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,797
I'm always quite amused to see the similarities btw Trooping the Color and the French national day ("Bastille day")

Trooping the Colour



French national day

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I still cannot get over how much of a spitting image of The Queen at a young age Lady Louise is, especially seeing her now without a hat.
Thats absolutely, what I was thinking the whole day, since I saw the Pics
Reply With Quote
  #284  
Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,534
Oh come on, it's quite a few years ago now since Princess M was in the middle of the group on the balcony. Reading some of these posts you would think she was there every year which simply isn't true.
Reply With Quote
  #285  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 8,012
Is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
... [snipped] Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected ... [snipped]
It is nice of Prince Henry to talk to Lady Louise
Reply With Quote
  #286  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:20 PM
GuidoG's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Posts: 17
Thanks everybody for the sharing the pics and videos!


Wow, you're right, Lady Louise reminds me to HM when she was young! And she looks so adorable on the balcony!!!

Can you guess what was going on here? Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected hehhehe
Reply With Quote
  #287  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
I absolutely agree
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
ghost_night554's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 3,779
Speaking of Lady Louise, this article just published shows the resemblance. I'm sorry Mods I know it's a tad bit OT but since alot of people were talking about it I thought I'd post it.
Lady Louise, the spitting image of her Aunt Anne... and quite like Granny too | Mail Online
Reply With Quote
  #289  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Nico's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.
Can't agree more. I don't think there 's a special protocol concerning the Balcony. The Queen and the DOE must be obviously at the centre...but there is no a "special place" for the other royals.

Here's a little video from the excellent documentary "Monarchy' aired some times ago. This part shows the 2006 background of the world famous balcony scene...

Reply With Quote
  #290  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Dierna23's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: -, Germany
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Speaking of Lady Louise, this article just published shows the resemblance. I'm sorry Mods I know it's a tad bit OT but since alot of people were talking about it I thought I'd post it.
Lady Louise, the spitting image of her Aunt Anne... and quite like Granny too | Mail Online
Really, there is very strong resemblance. Thanks for the article. IMO there also is a resemblance to Zara Philips, when she was that age, except the curly hair
Reply With Quote
  #291  
Old 06-13-2009, 10:20 PM
RoyalistRiley's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 513
Lady Louise does look a lot like the Queen at a young age.

I noticed both William and Harry were in uniform. What medals were they wearing, though?
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 06-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Lady Louise does look a lot like the Queen at a young age.

I noticed both William and Harry were in uniform. What medals were they wearing, though?
Both William and Harry are wearing the medals from the Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Harry, in addition, is wearing the medal he received for service in Afghanistan.

Philip's medals are mainly from WWII but also the Coronation and Jubilee medals and Charles also has the Coronation and Jubilee Medals along with a few others. Andrew, of course, has a Falklands campaign medal. William is also wearing his wings as he is now a qualified pilot.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 06-13-2009, 11:57 PM
RoyalistRiley's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Both William and Harry are wearing the medals from the Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Harry, in addition, is wearing the medal he received for service in Afghanistan.

Philip's medals are mainly from WWII but also the Coronation and Jubilee medals and Charles also has the Coronation and Jubilee Medals along with a few others. Andrew, of course, has a Falklands campaign medal. William is also wearing his wings as he is now a qualified pilot.
One of the medals Charles wears is that of the New Zealand Queen's Service Order and another is a Canadain decoration. Why does he not wear his insignia as a Knight of the Order of Australia. Its abolition did not have any retrospective effect on existing appointments, so he should still wear it. A diagram of the medals he most often wears is at : BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What are Prince Charles's medals for?. Indeed it would be heard to wear all of his decorations at one, but he should not treat some Commonwealth Countries over others.
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
One of the medals Charles wears is that of the New Zealand Queen's Service Order and another is a Canadain decoration. Why does he not wear his insignia as a Knight of the Order of Australia. Its abolition did not have any retrospective effect on existing appointments, so he should still wear it. A diagram of the medals he most often wears is at : BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | What are Prince Charles's medals for?. Indeed it would be heard to wear all of his decorations at one, but he should not treat some Commonwealth Countries over others.

I would imagine that the main reason is that is was abolished.

He might still be eligible to wear it but as it was part of the continuing split between Australia and Britain and is no longer being awarded he may feel awkward wearing it.

Maybe he should be given a new Australian order (he will of course, assuming he does become King of Australia - which I suspect he won't but we don't need to go there) become the Head of the Order of Australia but as he doesn't have any of these new orders he doesn't wear the old one.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 AM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,546
There isn't a new Australian order to give him. The only thing that was abolished was the level of Knight within the Order of Australia. He can't be made a Companion because he already has a higher grade within the Order.
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 06-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I would think that the ABC would broadcast it, especially now that there is also ABC2 and ABC HD. It had live coverage whne Quentin Bryce and Micheal Jeffery were sworn in as Governor-General and the Trooping of the Colour sort of runs along the same lines. I'd have thought it would have been on in the middle of the night in Australia anyway and there is nothing on any of the channels except shopping so there is really no excuse.
Trooping of the Colour was on tonight's evening news as it is every year. A short segment of it is broadcast, it's a regular news item on the Sunday night news after the Saturday event in the UK. British royal events are still regularily featured on the Australian news, the Trooping of the Colour, church attendence at Easter and church attendence at Christmas. Any major commemorations such as end of wars also make the news. (The Queen's Christmas message is broadcast each year on the ABC, we actually see it before the people in the UK due to the time difference) Weddings get a live broadcast, The Trooping of the Colour never had a live broadcast, but it continues to get news coverage.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
auntie's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Middlesex, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Is there a special place for each member of the British royal family in the balcony? What is wrong with Princess Michael standing behind Her Majesty? Had it been a protocol violation, Princess Michael would have been informed about it. She has been standing in the centre for many times. It appears Her Majesty does not mind.

It is nice of Prince Henry to talk to Lady Louise
In the pics I have seen of trooping of the colour in the 80's Princess M was always in the middle, more center than HM's own children! I think the royals don't have rules but automatically know their place, children and Gchildren of HM in the center, Princess Margaret and the Armstrong Jones further to the side and cousins more to the side. If someone edges their way to the center, HM is way to polite to make a scene. To me it seems really like someone is being PUSHY! Now please, don't put me through the 3rd degree b/c of my opinions and observations.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
In the pics I have seen of trooping of the colour in the 80's Princess M was always in the middle, more center than HM's own children! I think the royals don't have rules but automatically know their place, children and Gchildren of HM in the center, Princess Margaret and the Armstrong Jones further to the side and cousins more to the side. If someone edges their way to the center, HM is way to polite to make a scene. To me it seems really like someone is being PUSHY! Now please, don't put me through the 3rd degree b/c of my opinions and observations.
Thanks!
I think you are quite right about you opinions and observations. It makes sense that the Soverign stands in the middle with her/his husband or wife. And it follows out as you say, children, grandchildren, aunts, cousins, so on.
Princess Michael just wanted to be noticed in my eyes. She shouldn't of been directly behind the Queen. She was just being pushy.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
GuidoG's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Crawley, United Kingdom
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Both William and Harry are wearing the medals from the Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Harry, in addition, is wearing the medal he received for service in Afghanistan.

Philip's medals are mainly from WWII but also the Coronation and Jubilee medals and Charles also has the Coronation and Jubilee Medals along with a few others. Andrew, of course, has a Falklands campaign medal. William is also wearing his wings as he is now a qualified pilot.
The three stars on Prince Philip uniform are from the Garter, the Thistle and the third? is it the star of the OBE?
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 AM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,546
Yes. He's the Grand Master of the Order of the British Empire.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia baptism biography birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life gemstones george vi gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! henry viii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess eugenie queen consort queen louise solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward sussex taiwan thai royal family united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:39 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×