The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2021, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful to see and glad the duke of Kent was with her

Old 06-12-2021, 12:27 PM
Majesty

The Queen was happy. Curious that the Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen.
This event is fantastic and I hope that next year there will be more members of the royal family present as in previous years.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Curious that the Duke of Kent accompanied the Queen.
The Duke of Kent is the Royal Colonel of the Scots Guard who were trooping their colour today. He’s also the longest-serving of current royal colonels and has accompanied the Queen to this event previously in 2013 when Philip was ill.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
It was rather uplifting. Good that the Duke of Kent was there with her. I can't remember which one of her cousins replied to a question about when they're going to retire with a "While the Queen is still working, we aren't retiring" but it certainly fit the Duke of Kent today.
It was the Duke of Kent who made that comment (and he is the eldest of the queen's royal cousins (not counting the non-royal cousins by princess Mary - who were her grandparents' eldest grandchildren))
Old 06-12-2021, 12:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
This event is fantastic and I hope that next year there will be more members of the royal family present as in previous years.
The Duke of Kent is a Colonel in the Scots Guards who's F Company were the ones Trooping their Colour so I suppose that's a big reason he was asked to accompany her.

He clearly relished the opportunity to be there in full regalia. Next year it forms part of her Platinum Jubilee celebrations so much more of the family will be there. Hopefully anyway.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:12 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It was the Duke of Kent who made that comment (and he is the eldest of the queen's royal cousins (not counting the non-royal cousins by princess Mary - who were her grandparents' eldest grandchildren))
Thank you.

Oooh. Well, that's a man who walks the walk.

It was a wonderful ceremony and HM certainly looked happy. He looked content, too, as far as I could say under this hat! (I do love this uniform.)
Old 06-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Was watching them, and with the commentators talking about HM's 70 year jubilee next year, it made me realise that the Duke of Kent will be Duke for *80* years next year...(he succeeded his father, Prince George, at age 6, when the latter was killed in a military aircrash).

Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Was watching them, and with the commentators talking about HM's 70 year jubilee next year, it made me realise that the Duke of Kent will be Duke for *80* years next year...(he succeeded his father, Prince George, at age 6, when the latter was killed in a military aircrash).

As I watched today, I was reminded of George VI's funeral and how out of place the young Duke of Kent looked to me as he walked behind the coffin with his uncles. In the shots, the distance of a generation between the Dukes was stunning.

How far the boy has gone! 80 years! Today, he looked totally in place. As I said, I was glad he was with HM.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I remember, during one State Visit (may have been W-A and Max), HM was introducing the cousins-at a rather rapid clip- ‘and that’s Eddy Kent’, which seemed so casual and amusing.

(Or, it could have been ‘Eddie’.)

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-12-2021, 05:34 PM
Majesty

How Frail the Duke was and how dificult he walked.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The Duke of Kent is Colonel of the Scots Guards and it was the Scots Guards whose colour was trooped at this ceremony. That is why he was there.

If it has been the Irish Guards it would have been William or the Welsh Guards it would have been Anne.

Next year Trooping will be on the Thursday as part of the Jubilee celebrations so unless covid is still leading to major restrictions then I would expect the entire family to be present, including those who no longer live in the UK. It is the first event of the Jubilee weekend.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
As I watched today, I was reminded of George VI's funeral and how out of place the young Duke of Kent looked to me as he walked behind the coffin with his uncles. In the shots, the distance of a generation between the Dukes was stunning.

How far the boy has gone! 80 years! Today, he looked totally in place. As I said, I was glad he was with HM.
As a 17 year old he swore to be her 'liege man of life and limb' and he has stuck by that vow, just as his Uncle Henry and cousin Philip did who made their oaths just before he did. He is the only one alive today who swore allegiance to HM on that day.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:

He's been such a dependable working Royal. Harry could learn a lot from this man's service to HM.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:15 PM
Majesty

The happy smile of Queen Elizabeth II spoke a 1,000 words of radiance!

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour