Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The caps (as they're known in the Guards regiments) are handed down through the generations, as it were, although new ones do still have to be bought each year. I know the MoD have had trials for synthetic materials in response to controversy from animal rights activists, but I believe that no man-made material has been found that's anywhere near as durable for outdoor wear as the real deal. I think I remember hearing that during the trials the caps' synthetic furs discoloured and expanded, making them look really odd.

The origins of the tall caps are simply that they made soldiers look much bigger and therefore more frightening on the battlefield.
I also noticed bear skins under William and Charles' saddles. I think if was bear skin and under the saddle - but someone here probably knows better than I.

As squirmy and as much of a handful as George appeared to be in Australia I don't blame them for not hauling him out onto a balcony.

Those boys are tall...they look down on Phillip! I forget how tall Kate is until I see her next to Camilla/Charles. She looks lovely too!

Did not like Sophie's outfit..what was she thinking? Everyone is dressed to the 9's and she's got a casual summer dress on.

Not a fan of the color of Eugenie's dress.

Harry has gotten better looking as he has aged!

LaRae

As squirmy and as much of a handful as George appeared to be in Australia I don't blame them for not hauling him out onto a balcony.

Those boys are tall...they look down on Phillip! I forget how tall Kate is until I see her next to Camilla/Charles. She looks lovely too!

Did not like Sophie's outfit..what was she thinking? Everyone is dressed to the 9's and she's got a casual summer dress on.

Not a fan of the color of Eugenie's dress.

Harry has gotten better looking as he has aged!

LaRae

Sophie wore that to Westminster Abbey service < I think ), tho I cant remember what it was for. It is possibly the worse thing Ive seen her in. see thru is never appropriate. But thats just my opinion, normally she is great.

Eugenie looked like she was wearing a rain Mac and I agree that Sophie looked unusually bad. Even her hair was bad which is not like her.

Sophie wore that to Westminster Abbey service < I think ), tho I cant remember what it was for. It is possibly the worse thing Ive seen her in. see thru is never appropriate. But thats just my opinion, normally she is great.

I was surprised...she is normally very well turned out. Can't imagine why she wore that.

LaRae

Yes, that's what I thought as well. Louise often attends so her absence stood out for me, and I thought that or illness could be the most likely reason for her not attending. The same goes for James.

Beatrice also wasn't present.

I was wondering if she's got something big happening at School coming up she needs to get ready for. She is at that age where the transition to the next level of schooling is coming fast. Then again, I have no idea how the British school year works, so I could be completely wrong too.

Sophie was the only one who had me going "What was she thinking!?!" W/her outfit. She's really upped her game the last few years fashion wise so today and the Garden Party outfit is puzzling. Too bad too. Loved Kate's ensemble, but I want that brooch she had on!! That really gave the entire thing a lovely finished look. Also thought Camilla looked really good as well.

Of course Her Majesty looked amazing and her fashion accessory ;) the DoE just continues to blow me away w/his stamina. I said it before, but if I manage to make it to my 90's, I hope i'm as great and w/it as HRH is.

Left to right across the balcony with some missing pieces...

The Duke of Gloucester, Duchess of Gloucester
Alexander and Clair Windsor, Earl and Countess of Ulster?
? female (Rose Gilman?)
? female
? male
Prince and Princess Michael
Duchess of Cornwall and Prince of Wales
Princess Eugenie
The Princess Royal
The Queen
Sir Timothy Lawrence
Countess of Wessex
Duke of York
Duke of Edinburgh
Earl of Wessex
Prince Harry, the Duchess and Duke of Cambridge
Lady Frederick Windsor
EstellaTaylor
Lord Frederick Windsor?
Lady Helen Taylor
Eloise Taylor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Duke of Kent
Princess Alexandra
? female

I agree about the bearskin hat; do fellow board members know details about these things? All I know is that the skins are from black bears native to Canada. In Ontario we have a very controversial spring bear hunt that no longer takes place due to animal rights campaigners. :flowers: I would think and hope therefore that these hats are passed on from Guard member to guard member as otherwise the hats would become even more expensive and lead to bear poaching.:bang:

Wrong!! The Spring Bear Hunt was back this year and I hope to stay. The population has ballooned to the point in our area between our native population and those that were "relocated" from Southern Ontario, it was downright scary last year just to go out to get our mail. Not to mention all the various incidents where they've gotten into homes/cottages looking for food.

But I forgot...That couldn't possibly be happening because those were dumped in a rural area.

Uh huh...I love it when someone in Southern Ontario thinks "Rural Northern Ontario" means no one living here. :(

Sorry for the tangent, but this is one of those issues that really shows the disconnect between the two areas of this Province and drives us in Northern Ontario beyond crazy. I still think the only way for the Southern MPP's to truly get it is to let a couple of bears loose in the halls of Queen's Park and then maybe....Maybe....I doubt it though.

I'm sure those Bearskins worn today are passed down or come from Bears that were a danger to the public in a rural setting or going after a Farmer's herd/stock. If any are new, it's a sure bet that's where they came from.

I'm sure those Bearskins worn today are passed down or come from Bears that were a danger to the public in a rural setting or going after a Farmer's herd/stock. If any are new, it's a sure bet that's where they came from.

You are correct, Tiggersk8. I remember reading that the firm who supplies the bearskin caps to the Guards regiments ensures that the fur is sourced from official Canadian culls which have been performed to control the local bear population. The bears have to be killed anyway for the good of their own species and the safety of their human neighbours, so why not use the fur to make something that will be treasured and put to good use for potentially decades to come?

Each one costs £650 so they are well looked after for reasons of expense as much as anything else.

She did look a bit tired.

Ah.. the tired mom syndrome. Perhaps she had a rough night of it with George having a rough time sleeping. Even though George could fall asleep and peacefully sleep through all the excitement, Kate wasn't so lucky and didn't want to cause any distress by bowing out of Trooping the Color.

There could be a million different explanations. This is but just one of them that seems plausible. :D

William wasn't brought out until he was almost two. Hoping Catherine tired look means something :)

I'm the opposite, I hope they give themselves plenty of time to enjoy PG before they think about having another child. He isn't even a year old yet so is still very much a baby himself.

Lady Gabriella is a personification of exquisiteness and noble serenity. I like the way she wears wide-brimmed hats.

I, too, prefer the wide-brimmed hats. So much more classy. Hopefully they will make a serious comeback soon. (I suspect the 'fascinator' types are popular for a variety of reasons, but one being that the face is more clearly seen).

Ah.. the tired mom syndrome. Perhaps she had a rough night of it with George having a rough time sleeping. Even though George could fall asleep and peacefully sleep through all the excitement, Kate wasn't so lucky and didn't want to cause any distress by bowing out of Trooping the Color.

There could be a million different explanations. This is but just one of them that seems plausible. :D

There are a number of shots on the Getty site that show her coughing (I think). She may have a bit of the crud as well as much of the rest of the country. :ermm:

In some article (can't remember which one) I read this morning, it's explained as a sneeze.

She may be reacting to allergies. The sneezing and darker look around her eyes makes me suspect that is the likely culprit.

Whether Kate is allergic to horses has been the subject of numerous articles and the evidence is that we don't know - she spends a lot of time around horses, there have been some articles saying she is and others saying that she isn't.

Whether Kate is allergic to horses has been the subject of numerous articles and the evidence is that we don't know - she spends a lot of time around horses, there have been some articles saying she is and others saying that she isn't.

Sophie Wessex said herself Kate was allergic to horses. Why would Sophie make that up? She said it to Lee Pearson, paralymic equestrian, at a gathering for the Olympic's and Paralympic's.

Telegraph article

Does it really matter? There are lots of things other than horses which cause allergic reactions ..... like pollen, grass, dust etc. We don't really know. I just thought that she looked like she had dark shadows under her eyes and then the sneezing. Being susceptible, I recognized the look. :)

Does it really matter? There are lots of things other than horses which cause allergic reactions ..... like pollen, grass, dust etc. We don't really know. I just thought that she looked like she had dark shadows under her eyes and then the sneezing. Being susceptible, I recognized the look. :)

If I'm not mistaken, several had said it had started to rain too. When its raining or there is high humidity, it seems to affect my allergies more. It could have been anything and as you state, its really of no importance really. :)

To the poster back a couple of pages, Peter and Zara have attended in the past few years. Their last appearances were not during childhood. :)

That poster was me. :) Now you come to mention it, I remember seeing photos of Peter on the balcony in more recent years, although I still haven't seen any of Zara not from her childhood. Could you or another member post a couple here to refresh my memory?

Sophie Wessex said herself Kate was allergic to horses. Why would Sophie make that up? She said it to Lee Pearson, paralymic equestrian, at a gathering for the Olympic's and Paralympic's.

Telegraph article

I did say that there is conflicting evidence - and that Sophie said that she is is only one piece of evidence.

For every article that says she is there is another that says she isn't - I checked before posting.

So True? So False? Is Kate Middleton Really Allergic to Horses?! | E! Online - a rep for the royal couple has officially gone on record once and for all denying the rumor."The Duchess is not allergic to horses," the rep told E! News. "This rumor has been around for a while but is not true." - article goes on to say that Kate was working on lessening the symptons according to the wife of the US Polo President.

Kate Is Learning to Ride Horses - The British Royals, Kate Middleton, Prince Harry, Prince William : People.com Though it's been said Kate has a mild allergy to ponies, it's never been confirmed. Palace insiders also point out that she is regularly around the animals in her official duties, being pulled by them in carriages, and in private – and yet she doesn't appear to suffer any reaction.

The only report that supports the idea is a comment by one person that Sophie allegedly told him - not directly from Sophie herself by second hand.

As Kate has spent a lot of time around horses since meeting William and hasn't appeared to suffer from any allergy she is either very mildly allergic, taking lots of drugs or isn't allergic.

Or she could be like me and everything and anything (usually quick weather change) will cause me to have sneezing attacks. I am not allergic to any one thing but a multiple of things might make me sneeze. OR it could just be random sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom