The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2020, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Despite the restrictions it was a wonderful ceremony and so happy it didn't rain.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

I liked it. It is essentially the same ceremony but much quicker. If it was me, this is worth to be repeated. I liked it better at mediaeval Windsor with glorious green grass than at that big wide open sandy Horse Guards' Parade. But that is my personal opinion.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Sad the Prince of Wales did not attend !
I think it was on purpose. Not one member of the royal family did attend.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I liked it. It is essentially the same ceremony but much quicker. If it was me, this is worth to be repeated. I liked it better at mediaeval Windsor with glorious green grass than at that big wide open sandy Horse Guards' Parade. But that is my personal opinion.
Yes Windsor is a spectacular location for any sort of parade! Maybe they could repeat this every year on her actual birthday & have the traditional trooping in London as well.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Some highlights of this years Trooping the Colour at Windsor Castle

Old 06-13-2020, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I thought how grand the welcome ceremony for the Emperor and Empress of Japan would have been in this surrounding ...
Old 06-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I thought how grand the welcome ceremony for the Emperor and Empress of Japan would have been in this surrounding ...
The castle is the preeminent British royal residence. State visits to Windsor are incomparable in their splendour.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Ceremonial events always look so impressive at Windsor Castle .
Old 06-13-2020, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Sad the Prince of Wales did not attend !
That is true - but to be perfectly honest I couldn't care less who else attended today.
After all that has happened over the past months, good and bad, I saw my Queen being honoured by her Welsh Guards, for her 94th birthday, in the awe-inspiring surroundings of Windsor Castle, on a splendid June day!
It's hard to beat, and I really can't think of anything to complain about.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:16 PM
Courtier

It was lovely to see something, even a scaled down version, happening when it was supposed to happen, and not being postponed or cancelled!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It was lovely to see something, even a scaled down version, happening when it was supposed to happen, and not being postponed or cancelled!
just watched a few mintutes and it seemed so cut down. I imagine Philip isn't up to being with the queen for these events any more, but it looked a bit like the queen was lost all there by herself.
Old 06-13-2020, 03:57 PM
Courtier

The music was as always of the very highest quality. A link for today's programme:

https://www.householddivision.org.uk/hmtribute20
Old 06-13-2020, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The music was as always of the very highest quality. A link for today's programme:

https://www.householddivision.org.uk/hmtribute20
Wonderful selection I have to say The British Grenadier is my personal favourite.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well, certainly a very different Trooping from what we're normally used to and hopefully it'll be the first and last time we'll experience a ceremony like this in our lifetimes! Nevertheless, HM looked as if she enjoyed herself despite her family not being by her side.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Wonderful selection I have to say The British Grenadier is my personal favourite.
Yes it's a great tune! Very hummable.

I thought the choice of the Auxiliary Territorial Service March was a lovely touch considering HM's wartime service.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Certainly an unique year for Trooping. Hopefully an one time thing.

Still great hearing the music and being able to have some of the tradition.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Given that Philip, who was yards away inside Windsor Castle didn't attend I don't see the fuss that Charles didn't attend. I suspect they were simply keeping it as low key as possible and keeping in line with gov guidance that people shouldn't gather unnecessarily, possibly also they were trying to keep the Queen and her heir separate... just in case
Old 06-13-2020, 08:10 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen look beautiful. She seems much happier with a smaller celebration.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Well, certainly a very different Trooping from what we're normally used to and hopefully it'll be the first and last time we'll experience a ceremony like this in our lifetimes! Nevertheless, HM looked as if she enjoyed herself despite her family not being by her side.
Unless there is a vaccine this could become the norm for all these sorts of events.

Until there is a vaccine, or a country has eliminated the virus and has closed borders, there is no way we can return to large gatherings without putting lives at risk.

NZ can have 20-30,000 at a football match because they have no virus and closed borders but most other countries can't do that and the UK could be still a year or more away from doing so.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
For incoming state visits, am I right in thinking that the Windsor "welcome" usually takes place in town, followed by a carriage ride into the castle.

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour