The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Yes even I thought so that it is to avoid getting out and in so many times. I think she stopped getting down for royal salute last year or so, going straight to inspect the troops. And now she stopped taking salute at palace gate also.
The ageing and the changes accordingly are taking place so subtly and gradually..

I wish the Duke of Kent is also seated with the Queen in the carriage alongside the Queen like previous times (after DoE stopped. The Queen riding alone gives a gloomy forlorn picture.
But then I guess the Duke of Kent had some kind of stroke so it's very difficult for him to get in and out of carriage. He had great difficulty in standing up from his chair and saluting. So it's sensible for him to reach by car.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Duke of Kent travelled to Horseguards by coach. He was in the second coach with Beatrice, Eugenie and Jack.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

I find it interesting that The Prince of Wales rides on horseback with William, Andrew and Anne upon departing Buckingham Palace for the Trooping, but rides on horseback nearest to The Queen’s carriage when returning to Buckingham Palace. I wonder why?

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I find it interesting that The Prince of Wales rides on horseback with William, Andrew and Anne upon departing Buckingham Palace for the Trooping, but rides on horseback nearest to The Queen’s carriage when returning to Buckingham Palace. I wonder why?
I don't think it has any particular significance as to why he rode directly behind on the way back. It may just be the way the horses fell into line when they were leaving Horse Guards.

He was joined by a non royal colonel when walking up the mall though.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I don't think it has any particular significance as to why he rode directly behind on the way back. It may just be the way the horses fell into line when they were leaving Horse Guards.

He was joined by a non royal colonel when walking up the mall though.
If you look back at previous Troopings, he does the same thing. Perhaps because he’s the heir he rides back to the palace nearer to The Queen’s carriage.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 25th July:
Appendix to Court Circular

Notice is hereby given that in 2020 the date for observance of The Queen’s Birthday at home and abroad will be Saturday, 13th June.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Moderator Emeritus

No big surprise here.

https://twitter.com/MajestyMagazine/...39397540286467

"In line with Government advice, it has been agreed that The Queen’s Birthday Parade, also known as Trooping the Colour, will not go ahead in its traditional form. A number of other options are being considered, in line with relevant guidance."
Old 03-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

It was to be expected. I am sure all of the June events will be cancelled as well.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Are there any June events that could be held in a later month?
Old 03-27-2020, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

To be expected,I wonder if 2020 is the 1st year not to have a Trooping of the Colours?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
To be expected,I wonder if 2020 is the 1st year not to have a Trooping of the Colours?
There was one year it was cancelled because of a train strike. In the fifties I think. I'll look it up.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:58 PM
Courtier

yes it was in 1955
Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 PM
Courtier

And in 1948 because of the weather apparently. I didn't know that.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:03 PM
Courtier

Anyone have any idea what "other options" in the announcement might mean?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Anyone have any idea what "other options" in the announcement might mean?
They might postpone it a few months. It’s not the Queen’s real birthday anyway, just a random date they picked because the weather is usually nice.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
yes it was in 1955
Thanks for checking that out, so this is only the 2nd time in the reign of EII.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect it will be more a matter of the Queen driving to Horseguards, only one section of the regiment trooping and the Queen driving back to BP. No carriages, no balcony, and only the Queen and maybe Charles and Camilla (assuming the isolation on older Brits has been lifted).

I wouldn't be surprised to find that in the end Trooping is cancelled along with the Garter and Ascot.

The evidence seems to be that lockdown has to last at least for two months - making the lockdown in the UK still being in effect well into May if not into June.

When we see what happens in China as they lift their lockdown in Wuhan. If this leads to a second spike it is possible that the rest of us have to accept the very real possibility of 6 months (as the Aussie PM has suggested - but we are also approaching our flu season as well and that usually fills our hospitals, especially ICU from June to August).

Tags
ceremonies, official birthday, trooping the colour