The Windsors and Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure that this is the right thread, but apparently some European royals were not happy they didn't get an invite:

European royals very miffed at Harry and Meghan Royal Wedding snub | Daily Mail Online

The wedding was a state or semi state occasion and Harry is not a future King. What gives? Are they upset that a lot of Hollywood stars were invited and they weren't? The only royal Harry knows well is Prince Sessio of Lesotho. Will Harry and Meghan have to do diplomatic visits to smooth things over?
Never believe anything you read in the Daily Mail. Especially not things regarding royalty.

Not sure that this is the right thread, but apparently some European royals were not happy they didn't get an invite:

European royals very miffed at Harry and Meghan Royal Wedding snub | Daily Mail Online

The wedding was a state or semi state occasion and Harry is not a future King. What gives? Are they upset that a lot of Hollywood stars were invited and they weren't? The only royal Harry knows well is Prince Sessio of Lesotho. Will Harry and Meghan have to do diplomatic visits to smooth things over?

Sebastian Shakespeare is a pathological liar (much more like a Richard Kay 2.0) with NO royal sources whatsoever.
He's more or less paid to make up stories like this.

Last edited:
The other royal houses know that this wasn’t The Duke of Cambridge’s wedding; which they were invited to. None of them are upset for not being invited to Harry and Meghan’s wedding.

Daily Fail is famous for fake news and false information in this fandom so no need to take it serious.

Sometimes I even think they would be kinda relieved while they know that they won't be invited. Attending a wedding which will be worldwide broadcast for someone you even don't know can be quite exhausted. Anyway I think they don't care that much.

Last edited:
My thoughts actually about how the royal houses of Europe would have seen this wedding tends to lean towards them sending congratulations and well wishes rather than have a stick up the back of the front because they didn't get an invitation. These people are cultured and grew up with manners and grace and dignity and not the type of personages that would reflect the Daily Fail comment section. ;)

It should also be noted that Edward is still the son of the monarch while Harry is only the grandson of the monarch. That relationship also made a difference to the type of wedding that was held.

Edward and Sophie's birthdays, for instance (along with The Queen's, Philip's, Charles', Camilla's, Andrew's and Anne's) are noted in the CC but no grandchild's is. That will change in time of course but that is the way it is - monarch, spouse, child of monarch and wives of sons of the monarch get birthdays mentioned in the CC even when they are 13th in the line of succession while the 2nd in line doesn't have his birthday acknowledged that way.

That would contribute to the lower level of people invited to Harry's wedding compared to either William's - the future King - or Edward's - the son of the monarch.

I don't take seriously anything that comes from Sebastian Shakespeare.

If royals from any other nation are miffed, I would think it's not about this wedding so much as it is a more general issue with the BRF. As close as many of the European royals seem to be with each other, I do wonder what some of them think of being held a little more at arm's length by the Brits. I doubt many of them care, it's just that in any collection of people you're bound to find someone that takes offense to something like that. That said, if there is some continental royal grumbling to themselves about the British approach...even that person couldn't have been surprised to be left of the invitation list this time. And even if they were, I really don't think anyone currently on the scene would let word of that disappointment reach someone like Sebastian Shakespeare.

Is there any reason for continental royals to be miffed? I do not think so. They did attend Prince William's wedding, who is the main son, so to be speak. Prince Henry and his family will become members of the extended royal family in future. German royals may attend Princess Eugenie's wedding because she attended several European weddings.

Last edited:
The article refers to "members of foreign royal families." I doubt if the writer had the access or even the inclination to find out if this is the case in the reigning royal houses. If this statement is even true, the royal families being referred to are probably from deposed houses.

I would have been very surprised if any foreign royals had been invited. H&M are pretty far down the royal pecking order in regards to the protocol.
And Harry isn't related to or has a close friendship with any of the Continental royals - where weddings often, even among minor royals, is an occasion for a royal gettogether.
W&K's wedding was in contrast a state-event, where it would have been odd if foreign royals had not been invited.

:previous: Exactly!

Much ado about nothing.

Harry is the grandson of a monarch and son of a future monarch. If the wedding had happened when Charles had become King, it's a different ballgame. William, is a future King, that is why he had more royals in attendance.

As it is, Harry might interact with the "Continental" royals when Charles becomes King and either he or William represent Charles but right not its an non issue. Of course, Charles can still send Edward and Sophie, who apparently have good relations with the Continental Royals.

Its the Daily Mail trying to create outrage where there are none. Notice, they don't reference any particular coo

Don't forget Princess Margaret. Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester may have attended as well.

Ahh, thanks, I did forget Princess Margaret--and the Earl of Snowdon. I found a formal photo of wedding guests and he was there as well.

Last edited:
I would have been very surprised if any foreign royals had been invited. H&M are pretty far down the royal pecking order in regards to the protocol.
And Harry isn't related to or has a close friendship with any of the Continental royals - where weddings often, even among minor royals, is an occasion for a royal gettogether.
W&K's wedding was in contrast a state-event, where it would have been odd if foreign royals had not been invited.

The other thing to consider is some of the royals from continental Europe are still closer relatives to each other. For example, the King of Spain and Crown Prince of Denmark have a mutual first cousin in Prince Pavlos. So not surprising that some of them attend more events together.

Continental royal show up in numbers for the important events. There were more foreign royals at William and Catherine’s wedding than for the weddings of his aunt and uncles

With Harry having no relationship with them, coupled by the fact he’s 6th line makes it obvious there was never going a contingent of foreign royals.

Speaking of the coming together of Europe's royals, this year, in my opinion, marks a centenary which should be the occasion for European Royal Families to come together in a spirit of unity and reconciliation. I am of course referring to the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, which pitted siblings and cousins within the European Royal Family against one another, while leaving others in awkward neutrality.

It would be a highly symbolic gesture for representatives of all the reigning and non-reigning families of Europe to come together to affirm the bonds which connect modern Europeans in a gesture of reconciliation. Maybe a gala dinner/concert in aid of the Red Cross would be a fitting context.
So how about it Fred & Mary, Georg-Friedrich & Sophie, Guillaume & Stephanie, Emmanuele-Filiberto & Clothilde, William & Kate, Felipe & Letizia, Haakon & Mette-Marit, Willem-Alexander & Maxima, Philippe & Mathilde, Pavlos & Marie-Chantal, Albert & Charlene, Archduke Karl, Grand Duke George, Victoria & Daniel....?!!

Sebastian Shakespeare suggesting he has sources in every Royal Court in Europe now? Oh please...!

Speaking of the coming together of Europe's royals, this year, in my opinion, marks a centenary which should be the occasion for European Royal Families to come together in a spirit of unity and reconciliation. I am of course referring to the 100th anniversary of the end of World War I, which pitted siblings and cousins within the European Royal Family against one another, while leaving others in awkward neutrality.

It would be a highly symbolic gesture for representatives of all the reigning and non-reigning families of Europe to come together to affirm the bonds which connect modern Europeans in a gesture of reconciliation. Maybe a gala dinner/concert in aid of the Red Cross would be a fitting context.
So how about it Fred & Mary, Georg-Friedrich & Sophie, Guillaume & Stephanie, Emmanuele-Filiberto & Clothilde, William & Kate, Felipe & Letizia, Haakon & Mette-Marit, Willem-Alexander & Maxima, Philippe & Mathilde, Pavlos & Marie-Chantal, Albert & Charlene, Archduke Karl, Grand Duke George, Victoria & Daniel....?!!

A beautiful thought, but IMO unlikely to happen.
Spain, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Sweden did not take part in WWI.
It would, I think, be considered almost intrusive for the heads of states of these countries to have too high a profile in such an event.
2045 might be a better year for such an event.

daily Mail....Duuuhh...If there isn't any news they invent it...

:previous: I agree. I doubt that these seriously busy Continental Royals with their packed schedules are fuming about the lack of an invite to the wedding of the 6th in line to the British throne.:lol:

I am going to have my 14 year old cousin apply for a job at the Fail. He could really show those clowns over there how good journalism looks.

He would up the class factor considerably for sure.:cool:

It was announced ahead of time that only those with personal ties to the couple will be invited. Unless one of them has a relationship with Harry that Harry doesn't know about, I'm not sure why they'd be miffed. :lol:

And many of the countries that did take part such as Italy, Russia, Germany, Austria-Hungary, Serbia, or the Ottoman Empire, are no longer monarchies, or don't even exist anymore in their original 1914 borders. Others like France were already republics back then and still are.

Nevertheless, a major international celebration on Armistice day this year is warranted IMHO, and I hope all major involved countries can take part.

Last edited:
It would, I think, be considered almost intrusive for the heads of states of these countries to have too high a profile in such an event.
2045 might be a better year for such an event.

My perspective is that it should not be an 'official' commemoration limited to belligerent countries but a way for the greater European Royal family, no matter what side it was on back then, to signal that a century later the greater family has moved on and the divisions of the past are in the past.

I take your point that members of reigning houses, especially those on or very near the throne might have to bow to the agendas of their politicians, but in these times of populism and division, the Royals are uniquely placed, as a truly European family whose ancestors witnessed/presided over one of the most horrendous, futile, destructive wars in history, to remind us of the human links that exist across the continent.

My perspective is that it should not be an 'official' commemoration limited to belligerent countries but a way for the greater European Royal family, no matter what side it was on back then, to signal that a century later the greater family has moved on and the divisions of the past are in the past.

I take your point that members of reigning houses, especially those on or very near the throne might have to bow to the agendas of their politicians, but in these times of populism and division, the Royals are uniquely placed, as a truly European family whose ancestors witnessed/presided over one of the most horrendous, futile, destructive wars in history, to remind us of the human links that exist across the continent.

Like I said. A beautiful thought, we may hope something like that takes place in 2045.

1918 - 100 years Commemoration

There is an event planned for 11th November at St Semphorien, near Mons.
I haven't seen any info on who will attend.

In the UK, Remembrance Sunday (11th November) commemorations will take place, and there is an Abbey Service happening as well later in the day. There are also church services to be held in Glasgow, Cardiff and Belfast.

I think members of the BRF will attend all of the services in the UK. Hopefully they will send representatives to Mons.

I don't know if there will be any events in the Realms.

Canada has a National Service of Remembrance at the National War Memorial every November 11th. W/this year being 100 years since the Armistice was signed, it will be even more moving to watch this year.

There will be something in Australia but Remembrance Day isn't the main day for remembrance here. That is ANZAC Day.

The GG and PM will probably do something at the War Memorial in Canberra as per usual while in each state the Governors and Premiers will attend events at the state war memorials.

In local communities it will depend on the community itself.

It is on a Sunday of course so a lot of people will be able to attend if interested or simply spend the day at home with friends etc and do nothing.

Most schools will do something either on the Friday before or Monday after (my school will see a couple of Year 10 students organise something as part of their leadership commitment to the school so they can become prefects next year - usually a short flag lowering ceremony, the last post, a few words, the ode, raising the flag and back to class).

During the traditional press moment at the end of the State Visit King Willem-Alexander told that the relationship with the Windsors was close. Already as a young boy he came at Buckingham Palace. Last June the Orange-Nassaus were guests at Windsor, so revealed the King.

At the reception with Charles and Camilla it became clear the King already knew Clarence House. (Probably he made visits to the Queen Mum).

The journalists asked if the King and Queen have seen The Crown? Queen Máxima: "Yes, a few episodes. But there is no comparison between the Queen as we know, and the one in The Crown."

Asked about the Stuart Diamond making a re-ppearance in Britain, if the Queen had a headache? Máxima: "Not at all". It especially made her proud to wear these historic jewels, she told.

Last edited:
If he knows them so well how come he hardly ever attends THEIR weddings or birthday parties? I dotn believe he is very bothered about the other royal families, and will be inviting his own friends and close family to his 70th...

The BRF actually is in regular contact with, and maintains close personal relations with most of the European royal families. They just do it privately, away from the glares of the camera. There have been plenty of examples of this: the recent revelation that W-A and Max had dined with the Queen at Windsor in June, the revelation in 2012 that Silvia had visited C&C at Highgrove...... Silvia, Beatrix and Margarethe have all been regular visitors to see the Queen privately, as have the NRF.

My sense is that the reticence for senior British royals to appear in public at events with other European royals goes back to the early part of the last century, perhaps more specifically, WW1, and the rebranding of the BRF to the Windsors. A number of the other European royal families were seen to be too close to each other, and alienated from their own people, leading eventually to a lot of the monarchies falling.

George V and Mary and their sons were still close to many European monarchies in between the wars, some of them relatives (ie the Romanians and the Spanish) and there were exchanges of visits.

There has been a hiatus, though Elizabeth was never a keen party goer, after Charles's divorce and the age gap between him and other heirs grew greater after abdications brought them to the throne.

Back
Top Bottom