The Windsors and Europe

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No show from the Brits!! Typical!

Last edited by a moderator:
No show from the Brits!! Typical!

Yeah, with king Boudewijn, Queen Elizabeth was present. Now no-one. Not that I want to call them arrogant, but I do find it strange.

Indeed, Maria-Laura seems very moved. Even Lili seems sad.

Quite a contrast with queen Paola, I must say :ermm:

I do love the music in this ceremony. But those people who took pictures with there phones when the coffin and the royal family entered the cathedral ... yuk.

well , for me their is no excuse for the BRF to not send a senior royal to the funeral .
the family is big , if the queen is busy and the PoW, DoC also so what about her other children grandchildren cosins ect ??
queen fabiola was an ira not just a great queen .

I have just telephoned the general enquiries number at Buckingham Palace who were unable to give me an answer (it was the switchboard lady who sounded quite nice) and they tried to put me through to the press office, but the rather un-enthusuastic women there said no-one was available to give me an answer.
I must say, I have no idea why no-one from the British Royal Family was able to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral especially seeing that representation from other royal families has been impressive.

:previous: Thanks Jack, not surprised though. There are definitely isolationist tendencies here I think (rather than arrogant ignorance). Would HM and Prince Philip not have been a contemporaries?

I can understand sending the Wessexes to all the weddings, but really, for such an occassion as this? Nobody!

Last edited:
The girl of Laurent and Claire in English :eek: It's the first time we heard her and Gabriël speak in public, no?

I have just telephoned the general enquiries number at Buckingham Palace who were unable to give me an answer (it was the switchboard lady who sounded quite nice) and they tried to put me through to the press office, but the rather un-enthusuastic women there said no-one was available to give me an answer.
I must say, I have no idea why no-one from the British Royal Family was able to attend Queen Fabiola's funeral especially seeing that representation from other royal families has been impressive.

Oh well you tried your very best Jacknch and if the press office can't answer the non attendance question then I guess no one can!

It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent, I'm mean the Empress flew halfway across the world just to attend ONE event,might I add she's only about 6 years younger than Queen Elizabeth,a short plane ride wouldn't have killed anyone...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events

Last edited:
It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events

Its true ... They seem arrogance for me

It really annoys that when theres an English Royal event the other Royal famies are kinda expected to be represented in force (Queen Elizabeth's 50th and 60th jubilees for ex) but when other monarchies have their own events British presence is 8/10 minor or non existent, I'm mean the Empress flew halfway across the world just to attend ONE event,might I add she's only about 6 years younger than Queen Elizabeth,a short plane ride wouldn't have killed anyone...... At this rate we can expect a rather local guest list with regards to future British Royal events

Actually I agree with you. The more I think of it, the more it annoys me that tere isn't anyone present.
I find it very nice of the Empress to attend. Tv said that it's only the second time that she's visiting a foreign country without her husband. It's quite strange that the Brits don't manage to show up.

I love how queen Mathilde holds her daughters hands :) It also seemed like she wanted to hug Elizabeth and Gabriël when they went back to their seats after reading. She seems such a loving mother!

Well, when we see that the Spanish Sovereign did attend the funerals of the consort of Queen Beatrix (Prince Claus), of the former Dutch Sovereign (Queen Juliana) and of the consort of Queen Juliana (Prince Bernhard), and this compares to the attendance of the British Sovereign, it is pretty telling...

I do not believe that no one was available. I understand that Queen Elizabeth didn´t come, but really nobody?
Seems that BRF just don´t care.

The strange thing is that both Elizabeth von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (a.k.a. "Windsor") and Baudouin von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (a.k.a. "De Belgique") are also related... So it is not only a fellow monarchy which is snubbed, it is also "family" let down.

I can not imagine that the House Orange-Nassau (Netherlands) would ever remain absent from an event in the related House Nassau (Luxembourg), vice-versa...

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth did attend king Boudewijns funeral, so that's wat makes it strange no-one is here today. And yes, they are family (I guess by king Albert, husband of queen Victoria?)

Oh, Laurent showed up. With sunglasses ...

Duc_et_Pair said:
The strange thing is that both Queen Elizabeth and the late King Baudouin are Von Sachsen-Coburg und Gothas by paternal descendance

well, I don't have the habit of going to funerals of relatives in the 9th degree or so. I imagine that most of us don't.

The Belgian press said that only royals attended with whom the queen had a personal connection. Maybe that is an explanation. It is a national funeral, not a state funeral.

Belgian tv speculates about it though: they recall that there was a problem of the British RF not being represented at the funeral of Leopold either, which was not appreciated by Baudouin. And they remember that Baudouin did not go to the funeral of George VI as he thought that protocol did not allow it (he had not paid a state visit to the UK yet) - something that was not appreciated by QEII at the time.

Last edited:
I can't say that I follow the BRF that close, but somehow I'm not surprised. It seems like the other Royal families - especially the european ones - try to maintain a good relationship. The brits, however, aren't interested. Or don't seem to be interested.

I especially remember when (almost) all the european Crown princes/princesses met a couple of years ago. No sign of the BRF there either. And I think it's sad. Being a royal must be a very special life with special challeneges. Having a personal relationship with other royals must make life a bit easier.

Queen Elizabeth did attend king Boudewijns funeral, so that's wat makes it strange no-one is here today. And yes, they are family (I guess by king Albert, husband of queen Victoria?)

Oh, Laurent showed up. With sunglasses ...

Back then King Baoudouin died in the middle of summer holiday. Queen Elizabeth had an emty agenda for weeks, it was impossible for her not to show up.

Yes, the direct links are Leopold I (uncle of Queen Victoria) and Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).

:flowers:

I'm disappointed that HMQ did not send a member of the BRF, but she is represented.

Idont think it is arrogance which would mean a deliberate insult. That is not something I think HMQ would do.

As for the idea that she expects other royals to attend her events, I dont agree with that. She sends invites and hopes. She is always surprised when her 'personal' events are a success.

I am sure she has written to King Phillipe and that will be a personal message.

well, I don't have the habit of going to funerals of relatives in the 9th degree or so. I imagine that most of us don't.

The Belgian press said that only royals attended with whom the queen had a personal connection. Maybe that is an explanation. It is a national funeral, not a state funeral.

Yes but this is also about representing a Royal House. Name them all: Portugal, Italy, Russia, Liechtenstein, Orléans. It goes beyond direct relationship, but in the British case it is extra remarkable because both Elizabeth and Baudouin (and Albert, and Philippe) are Prinz (Prinzessin) von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha by male descendance.

Yes, the direct links are Leopold I (uncle of Queen Victoria) and Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).

:flowers:

The more 'direct' link is that Queen Victoria's mother, Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, was Leopold I's sister.

Leopold I was an uncle of both Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

I am appalled by the BRF's decision. I understand they may not have been close to Fabiola, but many royals attending weren't close to her.

If extant houses could send a representative, why not the British?

I understand senior royals not being available, but they have some juniors that could've gone.

For British events all royal houses turn up, I guess it's only fair to boycott them now.

Being a royal there are certain obligations that you are expected to fulfil and maintaining a relation with other royal houses is one of the more important ones.

If the Brits think they are too big for their boots, I think it's time to stop bothering about them!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Told you so ...
There is definitely a "special relationship" between the two families, i would'nt say a feud but clearly there's something going on.
Arrogance ? I don't know. English pragmatism as none of the senior royals were available today ? Maybe.
We can only speculate, but we must not forget that there is lot of things we don't know behind the scene and maybe the private condolences from the Windsors were strong enough to give them a pass. Anyway from an exterior and public aspect it's indeed very strange, if not unforgivable.

Even the commentators commentated about the abscence. They even called it a 'slap in the face' (kaakslag). They said even Thailand was here and that it's expected that European royals attend, even thoug Fabiola wasn't reigning queen anymore ...

The VRT (Belgian Dutch-speaking public channel) speaks about a "blow in the face/slap in the face" of the Belgian royal family, also -like we did here- pointing to the fact that Queen Elizabeth belongs to the same royal dynasty as the Belgians.

Last edited:

Well Said Baron Brockdorf. it Annoys me too. it's not like their snubing a birthday party or a wedding. Someone should have attended, to me this is completely disrecpectful.

I am appalled by the BRF's decision. I understand they may not have been close to Fabiola, but many royals attending weren't close to her.

If extant houses could send a representative, why not the British?

I understand senior royals not being available, but they have some juniors that could've gone.

For British events all royal houses turn up, I guess it's only fair to boycott them now.

Being a royal there are certain obligations that you are expected to fulfil and maintaining a relation with other royal houses is one of the more important ones.

If the Brits think they are too big for their boots, I think it's time to stop bothering about them!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I agree with you its time To boycot the british royals

It's a superiority complex tbh, the British royals think they are oh so much superior to the rest.

You can't convince me there wasn't a single senior royal that was available for this, is not as if the BRF is a small group!!!

I understand that Queen Elizabeth II maybe is busy, but come on... not even the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael of Kent, really not one.... was taking the honours on behalf of Her Majesty....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom