The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 01-16-2023, 04:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Yes I've always thought that the queen only attended as the king was the senior reigning Monarch at the time.
There after the queen sent representatives to funerals but strangely no one for Queen Fabiola
Really? Txs, dis not expect this. Strange, but well its the BRF ;-)
Old 01-17-2023, 04:53 AM
Commoner

Do we think the task of going to other royal funerals; weddings etc would have eventually become Harry and Meghan responsibility in future years (eg they could’ve also shared this responsibility with Edward and Sophie)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
Do we think the task of going to other royal funerals; weddings etc would have eventually become Harry and Meghan responsibility in future years (eg they could’ve also shared this responsibility with Edward and Sophie)
No I don’t think so. Harry is not really close to many of them.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince William should have at least expressed his regret at the death of King Constantine, even if it was through a statement or a post on official social media. By the way, was there a wreath in his name at the funeral?
Old 01-17-2023, 11:44 AM
Courtier

I give up about KP social media honestly. For awhile now, their captions are atrocious. They didn't post anything for Catherine's birthday this year, did they? No wedding anniversary post last year so I don't expect one this year too.

To be fair, BP social media also didn't release anything about Constantine's passing. Then again, they made no acknowledgement of QMII's Jubilee last year (DRF social media did one for QEII's).

In both case, it's like they don't really care.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:47 AM
Royal Highness

A service of thanksgiving in London would be a good idea.

As Constantine and Anne-Marie lived in London for 40 years, they must have many friends there who were not able to go to Athens for the funeral…

So i think its even likely that something will be done there
Old 01-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post

As Constantine and Anne-Marie lived in London for 40 years, they must have many friends there who were not able to go to Athens for the funeral…

I agree and that would be a perfect opportunity for those unable to make the funeral to pay their respects to the late king.

There's a Greek Orthodox Cathedral in London.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I agree and that would be a perfect opportunity for those unable to make the funeral to pay their respects to the late king.

There's a Greek Orthodox Cathedral in London.
Yes it is where Crown Prince Pavlos and Princess Alexia got married and where Princess Theodora and Prince Philippos got christened.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Prince William should have at least expressed his regret at the death of King Constantine, even if it was through a statement or a post on official social media. By the way, was there a wreath in his name at the funeral?
The BRF don’t post funerals or announcements of non-reigning royals on Instagram whether they are closely related or not. I don’t think that the previous POW posted or made an announcement for the late King Michael of Romania apart from going to the funeral.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
I give up about KP social media honestly. For awhile now, their captions are atrocious. They didn't post anything for Catherine's birthday this year, did they? No wedding anniversary post last year so I don't expect one this year too.

To be fair, BP social media also didn't release anything about Constantine's passing. Then again, they made no acknowledgement of QMII's Jubilee last year (DRF social media did one for QEII's).

In both case, it's like they don't really care.
Well their Instagram accounts are about them and their activities not relations between Royal houses that’s why there’s no posts about foreign royal celebrations. I’m sure they have letters and correspondence between them to send well wishes and regards.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

We may assume King Charles has phoned the widowed Queen of the Hellenes and probably also Crown Prince Pavlos.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
We may assume King Charles has phoned the widowed Queen of the Hellenes and probably also Crown Prince Pavlos.
Most definitely. I think that was what happened.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post

The orthodox church knows a special remebrance on the 40. day after death, it's not necessary to make it a big thing because it's common,
but yes maybe they'll use it for friends and family in the UK.
Old 01-17-2023, 03:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
All the funeral guests that belong to ruling houses (except Liechtenstein I think?) comes from countries that are just as involved in the war in Ukraine as the UK is. The 1000 policemen around the cathedral plus an assumed amount of private security was enough for the Queen of Denmark, the Kings of Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and their wives, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, the Prince of Monaco, the former Queen of Jordan, the former Queen of the Netherlands & the former Empress of Iran.

Anne, Tim & Ella are fine representatives for their country and their family, but it's been obvious for many years that the Windsors work differently than the rest of the Royal families. I find their way of doing things quite disgraceful, but the other royals seem to accept it and so should we. It's not as if I'll ever get invited anyway
Of course Liechtenstein was represented by Princess Margaretha,
she walked along Prince Henry of Luxembourg.
Old 01-18-2023, 06:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Again the senior royals can't do whatever they want. The Foreign Office must be consulted and apparently the Wales were advised to stay at home.
What is the source of your information about the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office vetoing the Prince and Princess of Wales' attendance at his godfather's funeral? In the case of the funeral of Queen Fabiola of Belgium in 2014 (which no member of the British royal family attended), the Office confirmed that the decision on attendance was made by the British royal family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGyamfi1 View Post
Anyways, most of the continental royals like Luxembourg, Belgium and Liechtenstein share very close ties so that’s why they are close, they aren’t close because they are royals but simply because they are connected immediately by blood, marriage and geography whereas the British royals don’t share this.
While there are certainly specific royal families which share close ties of blood, marriage, or geography, it cannot be generalized to most of the continental royals having closer blood, marital, and geographical ties to one another than to the British royals. To cite just a couple of examples, the Swedish royals are closer related by blood and marriage to the British royals than to the Liechtenstein royals. And Britain is geographically much closer to the Netherlands and Belgium than Norway is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
The spinning and excuses on Twitter right now about why Charles and Will didn't show up ranges from absurd to comical to asinine to an agenda driven attempt at inept deflection. This type of action is just par for the course for the BRF. Now even the Greek police and security is getting "blamed". SMDH.
Maybe because they can't drop everything at the hat like others.
Assuming that you are referring to the British royal family, not Twitter commenters or the Greek police: What leads you believe that other royal families can "drop everything at the hat" and the British royal family is the one exception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGyamfi1 View Post
Not everyone in royal circles is fussed or obsessed with going to other royal events.
Perhaps the members of royal circles who attend royal events do so out of familial, friendly, and/or diplomatic relationships and not because they are "fussed or obsessed with going to other royal events".

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I have long held a theory of why senior members of the BRF only very rarely appear at large gatherings of royals. It dates back to WW1, and the next 2 decades or so. Many European royals were seen as living the good life, perhaps at the expense of their subjects, and eventually quite a lot of the RFs lost their thrones.

Since then, the BRF have been very careful for very senior royals (typically the monarch and the heir) to not appear at these large gatherings and maintain their distance in public. Privately, they maintain good personal relationships and meet their counterparts outside the public gaze.
While caution around publicly associating with people perceived as living "the good life" at the expense of their subjects is prudent (though it did not dissuade Queen Elizabeth II from her public friendship with the ruler of Dubai), I very much doubt that it pertains to the other European monarchies of today, in the eyes of the British public. To be more specific, any British person in 2023 who perceives (say) the Danish or Spanish royal families as living the good life at the expense of their subjects almost certainly already perceives the British royal family as the same, and probably even more so. Thus, the British royals have nothing to lose, in the court of public opinion, from associating with those royals.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:46 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe it has been discussed in the previous years. Why are the Windsors/QEII never awarding an order to foreign Queen Consorts? Prince Philip has always been granted all the highest orders during State Visits.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGio View Post
Maybe it has been discussed in the previous years. Why are the Windsors/QEII never awarding an order to foreign Queen Consorts? Prince Philip has always been granted all the highest orders during State Visits.

Queen Elizabeth II awarded British orders (specifically the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order) to foreign Princes Consort (Claus, Henrik), who held the same rank as Prince Philip, and to foreign heirs (Albert, Harald, Felipe).
Old 01-29-2023, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Queen Elizabeth II awarded British orders (specifically the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order) to foreign Princes Consort (Claus, Henrik), who held the same rank as Prince Philip, and to foreign heirs (Albert, Harald, Felipe).
I am trying to recall which European Royals were installed in to the Order of the Garter a few years ago.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I am trying to recall which European Royals were installed in to the Order of the Garter a few years ago.
King Felipe 2017, King Willem Alexander 2018
Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post

All foreign royals who are Knights/Ladies of the Garter are either reigning monarchs or former monarchs who have abdicated. I don't expect that rule to change under King Charles III.

The current Stranger (i.e., foreign) Knights/Ladies of the Garter are:

1. Margrethe II, Queen of Denmark (1979)
  2. Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden (1983)
  3. Juan Carlos, King Emeritus of Spain (1988 , former King of Spain as Juan Carlos I)
  4. Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (1989, former Queen of the Netherlands)
  5. Akihito, Emperor Emeritus of Japan (1998, former Emperor of Japan)
  6. Harald V, King of Norway (2001)
  7. Felipe VI, King of Spain (2017)
  8. Willem-Alexander, King of the Netherlands (2018)
Note: Princess Beatrix, Emperor Emeritus Akihito, King Harald V and King Felipe VI were also previoulsy awarded the GCVO as heirs to their respective thrones, I believe.

Heraldry enthusiasts probably noticed the banners of arms of the Stranger Knights/Ladies mentioned above at the recent committal service of the late Queen Elizabeth II at St George's Chapel.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii