The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2018, 02:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Prince Harry met with Queen "Daisy" Margrethe II not too long ago on a visit to Denmark. Both Queen Elizabeth and Queen Margrethe are my favorite queens.

I do think that, like Mbruno, the British house of Windsor being "closed off" from the royal houses of Europe is greatly exaggerated.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:10 PM
Courtier

I kind of do believe they are a bit closed off from the royal houses in Europe. Such a shame. Also I wish they were also close to the Spanish royals too.

Old 04-03-2018, 03:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I wish they were also close to the Spanish royals too.
The Spaniards stance on Gibraltar precludes that..
Old 04-03-2018, 03:37 PM
Courtier

I think it is clear that the BRF don't value membership of the royal 'club' all that much anymore. The Queen herself demonstrated that by going to basically no European royal events for literally decades. Had she wanted to go she would have - see her attendance at the Belgian king's funeral.

Reinforcing that all the royals are related to each other is not a particularly positive PR move for the royals anyway. All the intermarrying is just embarrassing now. The BRF get called German in the UK as it is and not in a flattering way. We British see Europe differently to the people on the Continent - "we are in Europe but not of it" is a quote attributed (correctly or incorrectly ) to Churchill.

I really don't care if the BRF has little to no 'close' relationship with the European royals. I see a visit within the UK or the Commonwealth as much more worthy of the royals' time than the wedding of some European royals we've never heard of. None of these people have executive power anymore, they don't set laws or agree treaties. 'Close' family ties didn't prevent Europe descending into a catastrophic war just over a century ago that cost some 37 million lives.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
I think it is clear that the BRF don't value membership of the royal 'club' all that much anymore. The Queen herself demonstrated that by going to basically no European royal events for literally decades. Had she wanted to go she would have - see her attendance at the Belgian king's funeral.

Reinforcing that all the royals are related to each other is not a particularly positive PR move for the royals anyway. All the intermarrying is just embarrassing now. The BRF get called German in the UK as it is and not in a flattering way. We British see Europe differently to the people on the Continent - "we are in Europe but not of it" is a quote attributed (correctly or incorrectly ) to Churchill.

I really don't care if the BRF has little to no 'close' relationship with the European royals. I see a visit within the UK or the Commonwealth as much more worthy of the royals' time than the wedding of some European royals we've never heard of. None of these people have executive power anymore, they don't set laws or agree treaties. 'Close' family ties didn't prevent Europe descending into a catastrophic war just over a century ago that cost some 37 million lives.

William seems to have bonded with CP Victoria in his recent trip to Sweden. They are of siimilar age (Victoria is only 4/5 years older) and have children also of similar ages. Victoria presumably is far more experienced in official royal duties, having been the Crown Princess of Sweden since 1980, but William is stepping up his official role now and will eventually be in the same position as Victoria as heir to the throne. They can easily relate to each other and share experiences then. In fact, according to the Palace, that was actually one of the purposes of the Scandinavian tour.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Majesty

The government's action suggest that they suddenly consider the relationship with other European countries extremely important (due to the Brexit no doubt) and are more than willing to send the younger generation of royals to improve those relationships; would have been helpful if the BRF had been a little more active in maintaining them.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
By now, in the present day and age, the concept of being "related" to all the royal houses in Europe is really stretching it. So and so's great grandmother was Queen Victoria just like the other so and so's is. To be honest, how many people count their great grandmother's other descendants children as "family"?

The interactions between the House of Windsor and European royal houses now are basically for political reasons or international diplomacy more than family visiting family back and forth. I agree with you, PetticoatLane, that the first and foremost interactions should pertain to "home" as in the UK and Commonwealth rather than the royal houses of Europe that may have a very distant connection family wise.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The Spaniards stance on Gibraltar precludes that..
Would be a great thing to put past their issues and be close friends again like Charles and Diana did with Juan Carlos and Sofia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The government's action suggest that they suddenly consider the relationship with other European countries extremely important (due to the Brexit no doubt) and are more than willing to send the younger generation of royals to improve those relationships; would have been helpful if the BRF had been a little more active in maintaining them.
THANK YOU!! I totally forgot about Brexit. I agree with you that the Gov't definitely wants the British royals to form a relationship with many of the European royals like Norway for example. I think it will happen sooner than later. I just have a problem with the British royals thinking they may be better than all the other European, Spanish, Japan, Middle East monarchies because they are the most well known and influential.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Majesty

What evidence is ther that they were close friends?
Old 04-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
To be honest, how many people count their great grandmother's other descendants children as "family"?
OT, but yes, i do but that's basically because on my dad's side there are that many cousins (his grandparents had 108 grandchildren) that half our town was a "cousin"

But indeed not further back then that, even though i know some people that are actually related from 6 or 7 generations ago, i don't consider them really "family"
Old 04-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
By now, in the present day and age, the concept of being "related" to all the royal houses in Europe is really stretching it. So and so's great grandmother was Queen Victoria just like the other so and so's is. To be honest, how many people count their great grandmother's other descendants children as "family"?

The interactions between the House of Windsor and European royal houses now are basically for political reasons or international diplomacy more than family visiting family back and forth. I agree with you, PetticoatLane, that the first and foremost interactions should pertain to "home" as in the UK and Commonwealth rather than the royal houses of Europe that may have a very distant connection family wise.
Don't forget Brexit.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
THANK YOU!! I totally forgot about Brexit. I agree with you that the Gov't definitely wants the British royals to form a relationship with many of the European royals like Norway for example. I think it will happen sooner than later. I just have a problem with the British royals thinking they may be better than all the other European, Spanish, Japan, Middle East monarchies because they are the most well known and influential.
Who says they think they're better? Nobody from the BRF has ever said that to my knowledge. Just because they don't go to everything (and I disagree with some people about how much that happens but anyway...) doesn't mean they think they're better. I'm a teacher, there are many people who are teachers I don't mix with, it doesn't mean I think I'm better.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I just have a problem with the British royals thinking they may be better than all the other European, Spanish, Japan, Middle East monarchies because they are the most well known and influential.
What evidence is there that the British royals themselves actually think that (apart from what stories the media thinks up)
Old 04-03-2018, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Don't forget Brexit.
Brexit would be covered under international diplomacy which I did mention.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think the last war [WWll] had a great deal to do with this, partially because that war [and its aftermath] created a long period when 'close relations', and visits were impossible, as well as 'family' being on opposing sides. Also because [within the UK], HUGE amounts of geographical disruption took place. Often parts of a family moved apart from other family, and never re-forged those bonds. Cities were blown apart, and afterwards people moved to 'new towns' and [often] those tight communities and family bonds were not re-created.

Obviously the BRF in the UK was not directly affected in this way, but the 'its a NEW World' ethos that came with the post war mentality was pervasive in ALL Social groups.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
What evidence is there that the British royals themselves actually think that (apart from what stories the media thinks up)
I personally think they do. With Brexit and the world changing it would be good to have close relationships.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Majesty

The Spanish government didn’t allow the Queen to attend QEII diamond jubilee because of tensions over Gibraltar.

At the end of the day we’re talking about constitutional monarchy. Royals go where their governments tell them to go.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

This is true. If there were close friendships and visits between the different royal houses (no matter where they are), it would be done on private time and most certainly not reported in the media. What we, the public sees, is their interactions on a public, working basis complete with photo ops.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly! We know there haven't been many official visits from the UK to European Monarchies but then by convention the Queen only visits each country once during a Head of State's tenure - so having visited most of them she wasn't expected to do so again. Equally the UK Governments focus has been on links in Middle East, USA, Canada and Eastern Europe. Part of this could well be IMO that until Brexit the UK could rely on close relations with European countries through the EU so why spend time and money sending the RF to countries where there are already close links and ongoing issues can be taken care of by the EU. Of course now that has changed and there has been a refocus.

What we don't know is how often Royals visit each other. When Charles visited Sweden the King said Silvia had recently made a private visit to Highgrove, so the truth is we don't know at all how often they see each other in private.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Majesty

wyevale, I believe also that the Second World War had a lot to do with this. In 1947 Prince Philip's sisters could not even attend their brother Philip's wedding to Princess Elizabeth.

Tags
british royal family, elizabeth ii, european royalty, european union, queen elizabeth ii