The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess what I'm most wondering about are the positions the members of the royal family deal with on a day-to-day basis.
Also, and this is something that just entered my mind, who would be responsible for planning the future royal weddings?

All the information so far is really helpful, but I guess my question might be harder to answer with the official data. I'm trying to get an idea of the people that members of the royal family come into contact with on a regular basis. I guess the only term I can think of is almost personal assistant type people.

SweetHomeNC said:
All the information so far is really helpful, but I guess my question might be harder to answer with the official data. I'm trying to get an idea of the people that members of the royal family come into contact with on a regular basis. I guess the only term I can think of is almost personal assistant type people.

I suppose you are thinking of close staff such as footmen or pages or valets or dressers, etc. Technically positions such as these aren't considered part of "The Household".

I'd recommend Brian Hoey's book, "At Home with the Queen" which gives a break-down of every department within the Royal Household.

This information comes from Royal Insight:

I wonder if you could spell out the differences among the following three positions: Lady-in-Waiting, Woman of the Bedchamber and Mistress of the Robes.
'Ladies in Waiting' is the general term which refers to those ladies who attend upon The Queen and other female members of the Royal Family on public engagements. In The Queen's Household they deal with much of the daily correspondence from the public, especially that from children. All Ladies in Waiting are chosen for personal qualities and their role is non-political.
The Mistress of the Robes is the senior lady of the Royal Household and is usually a Duchess. She is responsible for arranging the rota for the attendance of the Ladies in Waiting upon The Queen and is herself in attendance on State occasions and on some overseas visits.

The Ladies of the Bedchamber attend upon The Queen on more important public occasions. On overseas tours Her Majesty is accompanied by two Ladies in Waiting, one of whom is usually a Lady of the Bedchamber.
There are four Women of the Bedchamber who, in turn, usually for a fortnight at a time, attend The Queen on public and semi-private engagements. Their role also involves doing personal shopping for Her Majesty, dealing with The Queen's private correspondence and replying to letters written to Her Majesty by children.

Royal Insight > Mailbox > January 2007 > Page 2

Incomplete list of Current Members of The Royal Household of Her Majesty The Queen:

The Lord Chamberlain: The Earl Peel
the Lord Stewart: The Duke of Abercorn, KG
Master of The Horse: The Lord Vestey

The Private Secretary: Christopher Geidt
Deputy PS To The Queen: Edward Young
Assistant PS: Douglas King
Comptroller The Lord Chamberlain's Office: Andrew Ford
Deputy: Jonathan Spencer LVO
Miss Charlotte Martin (LC's Office)
Keeper of The Privy Purse: Sir Alan Reid KCVO
Master of The Household: Air Vice Marshall David Walker
Deputy: Edward Griffiths
Press Secretary: Samanth Cohen
Deputy Press Secretary: Ailsa Anderson
Information Officer: Miss Michele Edwards

The Ladies-in-Waiting:
The Duchess of Grafton (Mistress of the Robes
The Lady Susan Hussey
Diana, Lady Farnham
Mary Morrison
Richenda, Lady Elton
The Countess of Airlie

Last edited by a moderator:
The Prince of Wales's Household:

PPS: Sir Michael Peat
Deputy:Elizabeth Buchanan
Master of The Household:Richard Prattle
Deputy: Andrew Farquharson
Treasurer: Leslie Ferrar
Communications: Paddy Harverson
Press:patrick Harrison
PS To William and Harry: Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton
Equerry: Major Will Mackinley

I have a question regarding Ladies-in-Waiting to The Queen. I really don't know in which post I have to write it down, but anyway. I remember four Ladies who attend Her Majesty The Queen regularly.
The Countess of Airlie, e.g. State Visit to USA in May 2007.
Diana, Lady Farnham, who was with The Queen on her 80th birthday in Windsor in April 2006.
Lady Elton, who is with The Queen regularly for tours
Lady Susan Hussey, who was with The Queen on the DVD Monarchy, The Royal Family at work when Annie Liebovitch was photographing in the Palace.

Does anyone know who accompanied The Queen immediately behind her when she went to Westminster Abbey on 2 June 2003 when she celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Coronation, the L-i-W wore a white dress with black spots and a black hat too. Perhaps it was the Duchess of Grafton who is the Queen's Lady of the Bedchamber. Another occasion when The Queen was accompanied by yes another Lady was at the funeral of The Queen Mother, really don't know who that could have been.

Does anyone know who accompanied The Queen immediately behind her when she went to Westminster Abbey on 2 June 2003 when she celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Coronation, the L-i-W wore a white dress with black spots and a black hat too.

Sounds to me like the Countess of Airlie.

:previous:well, i suppose if one looks on the court circular for 2 nd june 2003, it may mention who the lady was. i am very suprised that there is no thread here on trf which deals with entries of the royal circular, members may find this interesting to read and in a instance like this useful as well...

according to burkes peerage 107th edition (published 2003), the countess of airlie was born in 1933, which would make her 70 yrs old in 2003, so i hazard a guess it was her, given that you have mentioned it was a older lady.......:)

The Duchess of Grafton,The Countess of Airlie, The Lady Farnham, Hon. Mary Morrison, Lady Dugdale, Mrs Robert de Pass, Mrs Christian Adams, Lady Pamela Hicks, Susan hussey, the list is endless, without a picture ........:flowers:

:previous: That looks like the Countess of Airlie.

The lady in the blue hat doesn't look much like the Countess of Airlie to me.

The lady in the blue hat doesn't look much like the Countess of Airlie to me.

I have to agree. I'm thinking it perhaps Mrs. Fiona Henderson, but then again it's not a great picture so I couln't be sure

It's certainly not Susan, but I still think it could be Virginia. It all depends what heel they are wearing and the distance from HM. I don't think it is Fiona, definitely not Mary Morrison, Diana Farnham, Anne Grafton or Lady Elton. :ermm:

It's certainly not Susan, but I still think it could be Virginia. It all depends what heel they are wearing and the distance from HM. I don't think it is Fiona, definitely not Mary Morrison, Diana Farnham, Anne Grafton or Lady Elton. :ermm:

The mystery continues, I've checked the Order of Service for the 50th Anniversary but it just says the Suites in Attendance

It's certainly not Susan, but I still think it could be Virginia. It all depends what heel they are wearing and the distance from HM.
:D Belay that, I found this picture of Susan and the chin looks remarkably similar!:lol: It will probably turn out to be a picture of Mrs Jones!

I was at Windsor Castle during the Presentation of new Colours to the Irish Guards. The Queen was accompanied by Richenda, Lady Elton. I have enclosed a very recent picture of her, which I took during the reception in Barracks afterwards.

reception picture by Yoeri - Photobucket

She is there on the background, but I had a short chat with her and I have to confess she is a very charming lady indeed. The truth with this sort of ladies, as well Diana Farnham and Susan Hussey, is that they know their place on the second rank of the theatre, but they are so respectful and they have the attitude of making yourself comfortable and completely at ease. As a 26 year-old man, I have to confess that Richenda, Lady Elton made me feel very proud of meeting her and being in the company of such an intellegent, charming and goodlooking lady.

At the opening of Parliament, Lady Susan Hussey appears to be wearing something like the Royal Family Order, except that the ribbon is pink? Does anyone know what this is?
I believe it is the Mistress of the Robes 'Badge'. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom