The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants

Two extra Ladies in Waiting to The Queen announced in today's court circular - the Lady Elizabeth Leeming and Mrs Simon Rhodes

Lady Elizabeth is a Bowes-Lyon relation

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11944771.Engagement_is_announced_at_Glamis_Castle/

You can find a picture of Lady Elizabeth here - http://hospiceathome.co.uk/about-us/trustees/

Susan Rhodes is the daughter in law of the late Hon Mrs Rhodes (Margaret Rhodes) therefore also a Bowes-Lyon relation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1356853/Queen-helps-relatives-family-flee-Zimbabwe.html

Last edited:
Interesting. Wonder why 'a source' would give a tabloid like the Mail the info? When it was announced that Philip was retiring, there were alleged rumours that The Queen's private secretary had called for unity amongst the households. Now he along with others from Kensington Palace are allegedly gone with Prince Charles team taking over?

Interesting. Wonder why 'a source' would give a tabloid like the Mail the info? When it was announced that Philip was retiring, there were alleged rumours that The Queen's private secretary had called for unity amongst the households. Now he along with others from Kensington Palace are allegedly gone with Prince Charles team taking over?

To me it is only natural. The moment that Charles will be King only comes closer and closer. That will not only implicate a major change in the life of the Prince of Wales, but certainly will change the world of the new Duke of Cornwall, the future Prince of Wales, as well.

That the Household of the old and more and more retreating Queen and Duke is in a transition to become the Household of the future King seems only very healthy to me. We see the same on the Continent: when a monarch is ageing, and the kingship will end in a foreseeable future, we can see the Heir being consulted more and more regarding new appointments and the organization structure.

After all it once will be King Charles' Household, sooner or later. The Daily Mail is just stirring in a cup of tea for about really nothing.

I have to say I thought Sir Christopher would hang on until after Charles' accession and with the Queen quite old and not a fan of change I thought he would stay. I guess as seems usual the deputy will step up, the assistant will become the deputy and a new assistant private secretary will be appointed.

As for William and Harry's private secretaries, well Harry's always seemed somewhat temporary, I though it was said he would be "stepping in" which doesn't suggest a full time permanent role. William seems to be about to take over more duties (hopefully) so it would be a perfect time for a new Private Secretary.

In Spain and in the Netherlands, to prevent a "Court Clique", the top jobs are rotating: the servants are detached from the Armed Forces, ministerial departments, the Corps Diplomatique, the magistrature and resume their career after an intermezzo in the Royal Household Organziation. Good for their careers and good for the Court: always fresh blood and no "eternal functionaries creating their own little realms". I had the idea the same is done for many functions in the British Royal Household, so all the hullabaloo is a bit Daily Mail just stirring things up.

Last edited:
Sir Christopher said: “It has been my very great privilege to serve the Queen since the Golden Jubilee in 2002 and, especially, as her private secretary for the past decade.

“In that time, as throughout her reign, her majesty’s authority has brought stability, purpose and colour to country and Commonwealth alike.

“With the Duke of Edinburgh’s recent decision to draw back from public life, the Queen’s own unwavering commitment as sovereign has the full and active support of the entire Royal family.

“It is therefore with every confidence, and with Her Majesty’s agreement, that I now hand over the responsibilities of the Queen’s private secretary to my successor, Edward Young.”

The Lord Chamberlain, The Earl Peel, said: “Over the past decade Sir Christopher has led the Private Secretary's Office during a hugely successful and significant period of Her Majesty's reign.

“As the senior Head of Department and member of the Lord Chamberlain's Committee, he has also played a key role in ensuring a progressive and forward looking strategy has been adopted by the Royal Household.

“In recognition of his major contribution, I would like to take this opportunity to record my message of gratitude and thanks.”

Edward Young will succeed Sir Christopher Geidt as Private Secretary to the Queen in October. He was the Assistant Private Secretary from 2004 to 2007, and has since then been Her Majesty's Deputy Private Secretary. He is 50-years-old.

You can see HM with her then Assistant Private Secretary Edward Young on the royal train in this 2007 documentary at 22:50 in this video:

Last edited:
Are the Princes’ outbursts due to exit of Queen’s aides? | Daily Mail Online

Ignoring the other stuff in the article, the DM reports that Samantha Cohen, the Queen's Assistant Private Secretary has also apparently handed in her resignation (Although the DM makes it sound like she is going for sure it then says her resignation has not yet been formalised). She started out as the Queen's Deputy Press Secretary in 2003 before becoming Press Secretary in 2007 then moving to the Private Secretaries Office in 2010.

I am surprised she is stepping down at the same time as Sir Christopher.

Last edited:

I realize this is the DM and the hyperbole is huge, but I really would welcome the various royal staffs working together and being professional. I have a personal issue with the inability of the events offices to work together, provide advance notice and timely CC reports. The results look haphazard and uncaring and IMHO show pettiness. The back office power plays make an otherwise effective royal operation look cloddish, ancient and silly.
JMO

That has been discussed in the Royal Courtiers thread. Personally I am surprised the Queen's Private Sec didn't stay until the new reign, he has made a lot of efforts to ensure it is a smooth transition and even got a second knighthood for it. However a shake up, especially IMO for the other Households would be no bad thing.

I realize this is the DM and the hyperbole is huge, but I really would welcome the various royal staffs working together and being professional. I have a personal issue with the inability of the events offices to work together, provide advance notice and timely CC reports. The results look haphazard and uncaring and IMHO show pettiness. The back office power plays make an otherwise effective royal operation look cloddish, ancient and silly.
JMO

The CC is timely in the print media as it has been for centuries which as the main people the CC is meant for means - the British public - do have daily access if they choose to look for it. It is only the people overseas who rely on the online CC who are affected and most of them aren't an issue as the events don't concern them in any way.

It is only the online CC that fails.

Traditionally the office of the monarch and the office of the heir have never worked together.

Announcing engagements in advance varies for a number of reasons - security amongst them - along with the number of different offices.

There is BP, CH, KP and then there is Andrew who also never announces his engagements in advance and yet does more than anyone other than his older siblings.

It seems like the offices are teaming up together now though.

They tried that in 2014 and failed as the three offices, and their principles, didn't get along.

Andrew's office is separate again so not even included in this second go at trying to bring them together.

IF the principles don't agree then it won't be happening.

I used to think the Cambridge's and Harry would've had their own websites, but they're now all together on the Monarchy website. With re-organization going on, the offices have to work together.

They don't have to work together at all. If someone wants to go it alone they can and will e.g. Andrew

William and Harry didn't want to join offices 3 years ago so why would they want to do so now?

This 'reorganisation' may very well be more a shuffling of the chairs rather than any real sense of one office running things at all - given the size of the staffs if would almost be unworkable in one office anyway.

I don't think for one minute any one is expecting a complete "one office" approach from the different Households but I think they can and should have a more unified approach to what they do. A lot of the articles point out that various PR moves have been made - e.g. Harry's letter to the press about his girlfriend - while another senior royal is out and about doing something important. Quite frankly, its just good business to ensure one part of any organisation does not take focus away from another at important times/events.

The fact is, the Queen will not live for ever - it makes sense IMO for there to be a co-ordinated approach and staffing at a senior level now as within the next 10-15 years we will have a new King and new Prince of Wales, so does it not make sense for them to work together so its easier and smoother when they all take on their new roles?

Clearly, the press wasn't ready for such changes within the royal households staff.

Aide-de-camp to Prince Philip

Good Morning All, has anybody got any information on People who have served as Prince Philips Aide-de-camp, or is there a link to a list I could use

Thanks in Advance for your help

I don't know of any such lists. As far as I know Prince Philip didn't have aides de camp, although he himself was ADC to his wife, in an honorary capacity. If you wrote to Buckingham Palace, to the Lord Chamberlain's office, they would know I should think.

There is a very handsome and dashing ADC. I actually meant ta ask about him on this board but didn't. He is in the videos where Prince Philip uses the f-word. Right at the beginning when the Prince is being welcomed..

. In this video you can see him from 0.26 in the background with LiW. Again at 1.27

. Again here at 0.12. Behind William. Just a flicker. So cool n confident in bearing. Looks pretty junior.. Any info on him?

Last edited:
More likely for Philip to have an Equerry instead of Aide de Camp. I think the Queen is the only ones with Aide de Camp.

Ya maybe he s an equerry. I wish I can know the name of the current equerry:flowers:

Last edited:
Ya maybe he s an equerry. I wish I can know the name of the current equerry:flowers:
The guy in your first video is Wing Commander Samuel (called Sam) Fletcher. He was the Queen's equerry (2015–2017) and is seen in almost all the videos I've posted of Her Majesty's engagements and audiences in various threads here over the last year (the last time was with HM at Canada House on July 19th).

Pictures of him:
http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/1290259/stream_img.jpg
http://www.macleans.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/MAC50_QUEEN_CARD02.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/13/17/363D837700000578-3688532-image-m-31_1468428219865.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Justin+Trudeau+Arrives+YYV5zmUcrd2l.jpg

He was replaced in July this year by Major Nana Kofi Twumasi-Ankrah, the first black man to be appointed to this position.

The person in your second video seems to be another guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom