The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In December 1947, General Sir Frederick Browning was appointed as Comptroller and Treasurer of the joint household of Prince Philip and Princess Elizabeth.
Philip had first met Browning in Ceylon at Christmas 1944 while staying with his uncle Louis Mountbatten, whose chief of staff Browning had just become.

Does Helen Asprey, a member of Prince William And Prince Henry's personal staff, accompany Catherine The Duchess of Cambridge to some of her engagements?

Sir John Tiptoft was Keeper of the Wardrobe and Treasurer of England under King Henry IV.

Henry Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex was appointed Lord High Treasurer.
Henry held the post from May 29, 1455 to October 5, 1456, July 28, 1460 to April 14, 1462 and April 22, 1471 to April 4, 1483.

Jane Loftus, Marchioness of Ely was a lady-in-waiting to Queen Victoria.
The Queen referred to her as "Dearest Jane". :rose:

In The Other Tudors, Philippa Jones wrote:

Thanks to her father's friendship with Henry VIII, and her mother's family connections and previous post as one of the ladies to both Elizabeth of York and Catherine of Aragon, Mary Boleyn soon gained her place at Court as a lady-in-waiting to Catherine.

Sir William Cavendish was the Treasurer of the Chamber from 1546 to 1553 at the court of King Henry VIII.

Frederick Ponsonby, 1st Baron Sysonby, was King George V's Keeper of the Privy Purse.
How was Frederick related to the Earls of Bessborough?

Ladies-in-waiting of Queen Catherine Parr
Anne Parr (Catherine's sister), wife of William Herbert, 1st Earl of Pembroke;
Maud Parr (Catherine's cousin);
Elizabeth Borrough (Catherine's stepdaughter), wife of Sir Robert Tyrwhitt;
Margaret Stanley, wife of Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex.

Henry Carey, Baron Hunsdon was appointed to the post of Captain of the Gentlemen Pensioners in 1564.
In July 1585 Hunsdon was given the post of Lord Chamberlain of the Household.
One of his duties was to organize the royal entertainments, including masques and plays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing her at William and Kate's first engagement christening the lifeboat in Wales. There are also photos of her with Kate visiting Westminster Abbey pre wedding but she hasn't been on engagements with them for quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 35m
The Prince of Wales is on the search for a new Communications Secretary.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 32m
William Nye who was appointed Principal Private Secretary to Charles & Camilla in September 2011 leaves in April 2015 as well.

Martin @CourtierUK · 39m
Interesting that P.Charles has both a Communications and Press Secretary, though The Queen and WK&H only have Comms Sec.

Martin @CourtierUK · 42m
P.Charles is going through Comms Secretaries pretty quickly...

Last edited:
Anyone have a clue to what's going on behind the scenes of the royal press offices?

They are looking for the next generation of press officer.
Discreet, yet internet savvy while having the sense to hire a staff that is devoted to getting the details right (sooner rather than later).

Forget Downton Abbey and Upstairs Downstairs. This week, we have had a glimpse behind the scenes of a real-life royal household, with the news that The Queen has been advertising for someone to remove chewing gum from the floors and furniture at Holyrood House.
Her Majesty’s chosen cleaner must be available to prise pink goo off parquet for four hours a day, five days a week (including Sundays), on a part-time salary based on a rate of £15,912 per year.
The successful applicant will also be required to perform more conventional, less adhesive-related tasks, namely the making of royal beds and the laundering of royal linen.

Wanted: cleaner to pick chewing gum off royal floors. Republicans need not apply - Telegraph

Martin @CourtierUK · 9m 9 minutes ago
Clarence House press office now dropped ‘Royal Communications’ from its correspondence - looks like unified press office really is no more!

Martin @CourtierUK · 6m 6 minutes ago
Makes one wonder what Sally Osman’s role is now. ‘Director of Royal Communications’ - not much left to direct! :D

Peter Hunt @BBCPeterHunt · 1h 1 hour ago
William, Harry and Kate have appointed a new Communications Secretary. He's Jason Knauf and he currently works for Royal Bank of Scotland

Mr Knauf was appointed to his new RBS role "embedding the bank's new customer-focused strategy across its external communications" in May.

Jason Knauf has worked as a senior press officer at the UK Treasury and as a press secretary and speech writer for New Zealand government.

Martin @CourtierUK · 10h 10 hours ago
Patrick Harrison, Prince Charles’s Press Secretary, leaves Clarence House for the last time tomorrow after 14 years in the Royal Household.

Ladies in Waiting

Mistress of the Robes (formerly also Groom of the Stole). The most senior lady in waiting to a Queen, usually though not always a duchess (several of Queen Victoria's were marchioneses). She attends on state occasions and is also in charge of Rotas.

Lady of the Bedchamber. She is an actual lady in waiting and is either the wife of a peer or a peeress in her own right ie countess or viscountess.

Woman of the bedchamber. She does the same job as a lady of the bedchamber. The difference is she does not bear a peerage or is not married to a peer. She may be the daughter of a peer eg Lady Susan Hussey but she has no right to wear a coronet.

Martin @CourtierUK · 1h
Captain Florian Graham-Watson finished his short appointment as Prince William’s equerry last month. W expected to appoint new long-term one

:previous:I found the idea of a full-time equerry interesting, but I don't agree. Full-time indicates that William will be undertaking a high level of engagements. Assuming he passes his next stage of tests to join EAAA, he will not be full-time.

I would have thought that another part-time post more likely.

Last edited:
The Queen's equerry is at the post for three years. William's equerry was only there for a year. Maybe the new one is a multi year posting. With the Air Ambulance job, there is going to be a need for some one to be in Norfolk and help the staff in KP. That could be the equerry.

Captain Florian Graham-Watson job as the Cambridge's Equerry was only temporary until they find a full-time replacement.

A Kensington Palace spokesman said at the time Captain Graham-Watson’s appointment was not announced because it ‘is only temporary’, adding: ‘We anticipate a permanent equerry will be recruited in due course.’

:previous:I found the idea of a full-time equerry interesting, but I don't agree. Full-time indicates that William will be undertaking a high level of engagements. Assuming he passes his next stage of tests to join EAAA, he will not be full-time.

I would have thought that another part-time post more likely.
Thera are not "full-time" or "part-time" equeries. They are "long-time" or "temporary". All equeries are military officers, so it's obviously they have full-time job.

From Court Circular

Sandringham, Norfolk
1st January, 2015
The Queen has been pleased to appoint Lieutenant Colonel Michael Vernon, Secretary, Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood, to be an Extra Equerry to Her Majesty, with effect from 1st January.

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah · 2h 2 hours ago
Clive Alderton has been appointed new principle private secretary to Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall, replacing William Nye in August.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3h 3 hours ago
Clive will begin his duties August 2015. He previously was employed as Deputy Private Secretary to Charles & Camilla from 2006 until 2008.

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 3h 3 hours ago
He was promoted to the rank of Private Secretary for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs to the Royal couple from 2009-2012.

Last edited:
The Queen wields Buckingham Palace jobs axe and fires senior staff | Daily Mail Online

There are many errors in this article, as usual. Rebecca English should read what she has written before and compare it with what she writes now.

Politicians / media are always complaining that the monarchy costs too much, has too many employees who earn too little, and that they don't spend enough money on renovations. And now, they are complaining about this.

Most employees, however, work for the Queen out of pride and loyalty – and the understanding that they have a job for life.

The source explained: 'Staff are rarely made redundant… so to see four people go in almost as many months is shocking.

I understand that this is a difficult situation for those concerned, but if the royal household have to spend more money on renovations, then they are forced to reduce the number of staff.

Royal Belt-Tightening Sees Palace Job Cuts

Reviews are carried out to ensure the Queen's Household is run efficiently which can involve redundancies, an official confirms.

Last edited:
THE chief aide to the Prince of Wales, William Nye, is to be the next Secretary General of the Archbishops' Council and of the General Synod, it was announced on Wednesday.

Mr Nye, who is 49, has been Prince Charles's principal private secretary since 2011. He will take up his appointment as the most senior member of staff at Church House, Westminster, in November, when William Fittall, his predecessor for the past 13 years, retires.

A civil servant all his working life, Mr Nye has worked on the arts for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, and on national security for the Home and Cabinet Offices. He is practising member of the Church of England, and has been a parochial church councillor, deanery-synod member, and churchwarden over the past 20 years.
More: Royal aide to be Secretary General to Archbishops' Council

A potential major scandal involving members of the royal household in the 1970s.

Royal Household will fall in sights of £100m child sex abuse inquiry - Telegraph
A statement from the inquiry later confirmed the monarchy will be “potentially within the scope” of the hearings, following several allegations made in the last year involving the Royal Household.

I hope and believe that these allegations not are directed against members of the royal family, but there are rumors in the media.

Royal was in suspected paedophile ring but inquiry was shut down for 'national security' | Daily Mail Online

I can not imagine that neither Philip or Charles would have done something like this, and I hope I can say the same about the Duke of Kent and the Duke Gloucester. Andrew and Edward were very young at the time.

There was a member of Philip's staff who was charged recently but I believe found not guilty. The people around the royals such as Saville are notorious so it wouldn't surprise to find that any of these men where involved in the 1970s. I hope not but wouldn't be surprised.

I agree, all that's coming out about people we thought were decent we can't dismiss anyone anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom